Reviews of Madness by Chopard

Find out more about Madness by Chopard in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

anomie et ivoire's avatar

And we illustrate one aspect of madness, hypergraphia (but there's so much to say about this seemingly 'whatever' scent):

Pink pepper is used and abused far too much. But in Madness this trend note that I usually can't stand is used to striking effect. Why? Well, because it's mad, bad, and dangerous to know: not soft and girly pink with some weak spice beneath, not pink pepper strewn on your pasta as a foodie's afterthought...the pink pepper of Madness is bold and gleefully peppery, daring you to sneeze. Madness is aptly named; a little weird and inappropriate but with so little insight into the deviation that it's living its own kind of dream. This is the Madness of a film siren going off the rails; Valley of the Dolls. It's not just the name and concept either, there's something so feminine yet a little dark about Madness, old-fashioned, far more traditionally perfumey than the pyramid or presentation would suggest. If even a well done pink pepper doesn't do it for you, consider waiting out the first thirty minutes. The drydown is earthy rosewood; girl surfers waxing down boards back in the day. The lychee and hibiscus are very novel, and nose Nagel blended them to a modern art kind of abstractness that hints at but doesn't go full theme tropical. Madness isn't quite complex or exciting enough to warrant being a signature scent, but it's a formidable novelty piece. I can't help but think of a Devo hat being worn by Oops-era Britney Spears but all the while at a 1960s cocktail party. In a good way.

In corporeality, in presence and shameless voluptuousness that those who like quiet, polite scents might call "vulgar," Madness recalls Givenchy's Organza. The slightly oldschool but resolutely updated contradiction of Madness is similar to the Galliano edp's pink but not insipid femininity.

The main draw here is that Madness can be found very inexpensively right now. But I wouldn't suggest just blind buying Madness; as other reviewers have said, this is really an acquired taste, and its beauty could be missed if you expect too much or demand instant gratification.

If you like repulsion/attraction scents, plenty of spice, and celebratory femininity that doesn't approach celeb fruity floral hell, try this. You might find this surprisingly well-blended. Honestly, I think this is what celebrity fragrances should and could be, so many celebs love to reference other eras and make a sport of nostalgia, and this scent is an enigmatic but wearable slice of pop. And it's going cheap, and I love it for that.

Longevity: my skin usually kills anything in a few hours, even the notorious everlasting gobstoppers, but this crazy Madness can last twelve hours.
    Sillage: the bar tender will smell you across the bar, you won't have to sniff right at your wrist. How refreshingly candid as only a departure from the sane and plain can be. That said, naturally not an office perfume.
    Occasion: dancing, concert, party, or just being your fiery bad self at home 'cause this is sort of a comfort scent.

15th September, 2012

maccus's avatar

At first the exuberance of the fragrance is cloying but this intensely raspberry, musk and floral burst lasts only a short time before... I realise that Blue Coyote perfectly describes the fragrance. Please see previous review. Spray it on someone you love and then embrace that person an hour later to best appreciate the dry down and the qualities of this creation. This has a dynamic reminiscent of YSL's M7. Do not over use as it might cause a head ache.

13th September, 2012

Blue Coyote's avatar

Sharp, Woody and Resinous, on the first spritz I wan't sure what to think. I have never smelled a combination quite like this. Dark fruits and a touch of florals lead, raspberry and pomegranite, I think--they seem overwhealming at first--but be patient, before you sniff the first time, wait for the drydown. Definate woods and resinous base for a long-lasting anchor.

Here is a superb balance between excellent staying power and something different to gain attention. I wear this scent several times a week, most often during the warmer months, and field an average of 1-2 queries a month from women who would like to know what it is and who makes it. I usually write the info down for them if they seem sincere and not just offering polite complements to make conversation. Love the staying power, love the scent. Reminds a little bit of the pomegranite in Bijan night, and the woody-resinous appeal of several classics--after drydown isn't lead by fruits or florals. Another teriffic work that isn't saddled to the celebrity of the month, but will outlast. Compliments to Chopard!

09th January, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

Madness represents my childhood in lots of ways. Not in the mad aspect but from the way it smells.

From the first spray on the skin this fragrance was strong and fruity. I sensed strong candied raspberry, even though it is not listed here. I was always one of those strange kids that loved raspberry cordial with only a small amount of water. I hated heavily diluted cordial. Madness is that rich, syrupy red, raspberry flavoured cordial. It smells just like it.

I can understand that for some people this is sickly, but to me this is rich and sweet, the way I like it. Slightly masculine, but feminine and elegant at the same time, Madness can be rather conflicting.

The heart of rose and hibiscus reminds me of my mother's garden before she pulled them out and replaced them with a cactus garden. I used to take the petals and mash them up in a bowl of hot water to make what I called "flower soup" as a child.

The drydown which is mostly fairyfloss, I'm sure is a smell that most people remember as a child. The woodsy notes that compliment the sugary sweet fairyfloss makes me think of a Circus. The smell of sawdust and candy polluting the air.

A strange fragrance it certainly is, but a lovely one at that. For me the experience is entirely personal, but for others you may find other similarities to your childhood and if you don't you may just like Madness simply because of the composition. Either way I recommend.

26th June, 2011

Weimar27's avatar

This intoxicating aroma with the blendings of Pink Pepper Brazilian Rosewood rose yummy cotten candy pink litchi and i pick a scent of raspberry
    in this perfume. deep sultry it wasn't
    what i expected i expected more pungent
    like with a cinnamon note but it a has a more deeper more laqcard woodsey
    scent i just love the bottle i love
    the Deep Red and the shape is a reminisence of a 1980's videogame Design i just love it.

16th August, 2010

Madamemagenta's avatar

Bad behavior on the top note; intense for something that behaves much better after a few moments. Fruity and playful with warm woods to keep it down to earth. Like Baby Spice (the Spice Girl) with black leather stilettos.

Kudos for the packaging for the parfum. A red Rubik's Cube encased in a series of metal plates all held together with a red plug. Cool.

29th August, 2008

rubyred's avatar

You'd have to be bloody mad to buy it if you smelt it first. I took mine to work, offered it to anyone who wanted it. No-one did. On me it smelt like a mixture of crushed tomato leaves and cough medicine.

02nd August, 2008

zoetje's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

When I found and smell it a few years ago in perfume store, I like it but I bought not. I only remember the color of the bottle "RED" and CHOPARD. I want to buy it but can not found it and then via perfume shop online I saw and i bought it. But now its too fresh and strong for me or maybe I am wrong perfume, I dont know. But I like it

09th July, 2008 (Last Edited: 15th July, 2008)

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

I quite like this. First impression wasn't positive (I think I was expecting a sweeter, richer scent), but after a few more tries I now appreciate its dryness. Top notes remind me of a glass of peppery Shiraz, then the wood and leather notes emerge and it become more animalic. It is a tad masculine, but I personally don't mind that. Not one of my favorites, but interesting nevertheless. Worth a try if you enjoy spicy, woody chypres like Fendi.

13th October, 2007

Gumoosh's avatar

I REALLY like this. I think it is what NU by YSL was supposed to be? I love the blast of Pepper and rose at the start. Then the pepper tones down to a lovely dry spicy rose. It is not as strong as I thought it would be - with it being so intense at the start. I actually love this in summer and the cooler weather.
    It is definitely original and not age restricted in any way. Perfect for a blamy night drinking Margaritas or wrapped in (fake) fur and dripping diamonds and off to the theatre - Madness is great for either occasion.
    I also got a 75ml at a unbelievable price. Makes it all the more sweeter!

24th July, 2007

Lisaandtheword's avatar

On me this was harsh, bitter & dry raspberry & spice.. gave it time but it stayed stinky. If you want something similar but softer, try Hermes Rouge.. spicy smoky & dry oriental, red & rosey.

25th June, 2007

corisande's avatar

I agree with flathorn: it's a great fragance. I hope it's still in production, because I found it in a perfume remainder shop. Its bottle is a sort of design jewel.

27th January, 2007

pandabear25's avatar

I agree that this is an unusual scent. It's very frity to me and very spicy. I still like it very much and like the square red bottle and the top of the bottle is interesting with the sticky note labeled for you not to remove it. I've been layering this with Casmir to tone down the strong spiciness of it and it works out beautifully!

28th September, 2006

Rue's avatar

When it's wrong on you, it is dreadfully wrong, but when it is right, it is unusual and sublime! In the eighties I wore Parfum Rare by Jacomo. Madness comes close, but with a slightly sweet softness around the edges where Parfum Rare had a delicate aridity. I will wear it this winter for sure. It reminds me of how my wool coat smelled after wearing Parfum Rare on a night out at my favourite Italian restaurant nearly twenty years ago.

15th November, 2005

flathorn's avatar

Well-named - I fell instantly in love. Classified as a rich, woody oriental, this is a red hot mama, with some sexy animalics. It's a BIG fragrance, when you want big expression. But somewhere along the line, I fell out of love. After one bottle, I was done with it - what first seemed like a sensual, intoxicating brew, slowly seemed too pushy and invasive to wear well. It also seemed to get a little shriller. So, what can I say? It was great while it lasted. This may be one of those you'll tire of quickly, so my advice, if you are in love like I was, is to buy a decant, or small bottle in the beginning, just in case this fragrance is a short term affair. I also have a quibble with the spray head. It's non-intuitive and looks like a cap - I've tried to take it off on several occasions. It actually comes with a sticky note on the head, warning against doing so.

11th November, 2005 (Last Edited: 06th December, 2013)

vicky's avatar

Unusual scent,warm and spicy.Great,strong red glass bottle. Nice for a winter scent.It was a shame about the bad timimg with the launch and the advertising containing the twin towers. Maybe they will relaunch with a new advertising campaign.

10th December, 2003