Reviews of Diorissimo by Christian Dior

Find out more about Diorissimo by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Wild Gardener's avatar
    Wild Gardener
    England England

I was recently sent a sample of Wild Hunt -CB I Hate Perfume, which I could only see as an anti perfume. That later made me realise that in the world of anti perfumes. Diorissimo is the grande dame.
    Diorissimo is a brilliant essay in scent matching, a very well realised excecution of the waxy, lemony, liliy type scent of Muguet, even with the undertone of sharp green foliage properly correct in there.
    But, is it a perfume?
    No. Not as I understand it.
    Like the smell of stale ditch water in WH, the smell of Muguet is a copy of nature, that simply reproduces what is there and doesn't add anything new.
    Its a very well done piece of craft work. But as a artistic creation it fails.
    As Coco Chanel said, women (or men for that matter) should not like a flower.
    I give it a neutral rating for the quality of excecution (of the original formulation.)
    Its a pity that such a great talent as Roudnitska should have spent so much time on his hands and knees in pursuit of such an endeavour, rather than creating another masterpiece.

09 November, 2013 (Last Edited: 21st March, 2014)

BetsyMeszaros's avatar
    BetsyMeszaros

Love this! So feminine and so springtime.

This was my first fragrance after I finished college and started my first job. A man I worked with said "that's not for a young girl you need something for a young girl". To me, Diorissimo screams young Victorian girl. Men were so chauvinistic back then. What was I suppose to wear at 23? Tinkerbell? Little Lady from the children's department. I ignored him and kept wearing this until I used up the entire bottle. By then I was on to Shalimar and other things.

A few years ago I smelled it on someone and once again fell in love. It still makes me feel very young heart and just screams springtime which is my favorite season. The lilly of the valley is very strong and may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Usually wear this in the early spring and summer.

Pros: Beautiful floral that smells young at heart.
    Cons: Almost too floral to some but not me.

23 May, 2013

Mrs Purple's avatar
    Mrs Purple

It was bought for me but whereas I loved the initial hit, like being pelted with fresh flowers, it very quickly smelled 'wrong'. Just didn't suit me :(

30th March, 2013

iivanita's avatar
    iivanita
    Croatia Croatia

New diorissimo opens up very synthetic:-) , i am just not hue fan of lily of the valley or muguet, because it smells too green for my taste, cold (I'm a jasmine lover), synthetic note with that aquatic feel of lilac, and lily too, all the flowers with very intensive characteristic smells, that also smell coldish

It dries down into something musky clean modern, not huge fan of this unfortunately, reminds me of calyx type of scents:-)

19 March, 2013

bnusr's avatar
    bnusr

I find Diorissimo extremely severe. If i were to wear it on a cold day I'd feel very bleak. It's like certain authors whose wit is penetrating, ascerbic and merciless. Agatha Christie comes to mind rather than Bret Easton-Ellis though, because Diorissimo is decorous. So I wear it to formal daytime things of an official nature where vigilance and steeliness are desirable, and only in spring. That doesn't sound very complimentary does it; actually this perfume is in my very soul, irrevocably, and its place there is deeply cherished. It's just that I could never be an elegant early 1960s twinset dominatrix, which is what Diorissimo evokes for me.

01st January, 2013

frug's avatar
    frug

Diorissimo is one of the only two women’s perfumes I wear. Its lilly of the valley is so singular and evocative it’s as if, while hiking in a wood, I snapped off a wild stem and stuck it in my shirt pocket. There will always be a place in my wardrobe for this lovely creature.

18 September, 2012

Fleurine's avatar
    Fleurine

Dior Diorissimo is my go-to pretty princess scent. From 1956, she is very much a product of her wholesome, innocent era. She goes well with pearls and a sweater set.
    Warning, you may be accidentally transformed into any princess you want when you wear her. Princess Diana, Princess Grace,
    This fragrance is an obvious choice for a spring or summer wedding scent.
    Princess Diorissimo is a green lily of the valley soliflore with jasmine, ylang ylang and frangipani and it is HEADY heady heady, so beware.
    I find Diorrissimo somewhat perfumier than other great muguets (such as the most recent Guerlain, and CdG Lily), but the perfumey aspect allows Diorissimo to across as slightly more formal and polished. The dry down, however, is entirely muguet.
    Now, the more you research this scent, the more you will hear about how Diorrissimo has suffered in reformulation, and I would not doubt it. Although I have the modern EdT, and have no trouble wearing it. I would recommend at least sampling the vintage Parfum to anyone interested in exploring the LOTV note. A treasured fragrance to me, in my top 5 always.

29 January, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2012)

pince_nez's avatar
    pince_nez

The scent of a field of lily of the valley shrouded in the hazy/ dewy/ cool/ evanescent veil of fog on a spring morning! Prim/ proper/ Victorian/ virginal -- Diorissomo exudes a child-like innocence in its simplicty. And that is perhaps its genius.

This a white floral scent that floats/ light as air.

Wonderful!

16 November, 2011

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

In the same vein of Nina Ricci Fleur de fleurs this one is an artistic and Victorian feminine floral with a nostalgic and romantic soul and something contemporary in the effect, may be the airy, sensual and sophisticated womanly corporeal  and animalic effect elicited outside. A touch of civet is supposed to be introduced in the blend. The smell itself is almost natural in its initial slightly  floral-herbal, earthy, citrusy and angular kind of whiff. Elegance and femininity are extreme as well as the simplicity of the composition. You inhale a bunch of lily of the valley accompanied by some roses and jasmine. The muguet is notable under my nose, even if not so much at the beginning, and obviously the lily plays a protagonist role. Some woods are cleverly placed in the blend and may be a touch of musk. You smell an indolic floral temperament around, if you layer the scent on a paper is just like smelling the acid undertone of the floral water stuck stagnant in the pit of a vessel. While smelling Diorissimo  i figure a young woman carefree, joyful and natural but with an high level of spontaneous sex appeal that you breathe in air. An airy and sunny classic.

12 November, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2013)

OVincze's avatar
    OVincze

Diorissimo, what can I say, grand not despite but exactly because of its simplicity and different from anything else ever created. I tend to like complex scents but sometimes the simplest is the best and this fume is one of the most magical creations in fragrance history. I own vintage EDP but unsure when exactly mine was released. I have smelled the current EDP as well and I find that nice too but as usual vintage is better. Definitely the work of a genius, proven by timeless beauty and elegance and how actual it still is and will always be.

21st October, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 January, 2012)

Bijan82's avatar
    Bijan82

Sickly sweet, so much so I could taste it. Too much jasmine/franjipani.

27 August, 2011

jtd's avatar
    jtd

I'm torn on this perfume. Roudnitska. He was a genius and I'm an admirer of his other work. His works typically seem to have the thoroughness that denotes a masterful technical proficiency, but also an integrity of concept and intention.

I've only smelled the recent Diorissimo EDT, and I've tried to dissect the floral notes he's used to compose this ostensible lily of the valley soliflor. I get a green jasmine, a watery hyacinth, a languid ylang ylang. No base, no underbelly, no shadow. But what I get when I step back from dissecting it smells remarkably like an air freshener. Not a chic parfum d'ambiance. I mean the electrical socket plug-in variety.

A moment of seeing how the geometric lines come together to recreate the watery yet oily feel of muguet. A moment trying to sense what Diorissimo must originally have smelled like. A long sigh. Put the strip away for a few hours and then check again. Distressing reassurance of everything I initially thought. (And yes, I tried it on skin, too.)

Sad.

29 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 September, 2011)

mademoiselle-c's avatar
    mademoiselle-c

I am not really one for intense florals but this is INCREDIBLE. It has turned me over to true, lush floral scents. It is refreshing, feminine and beautiful. I feel like a true Grace Kelly when I wear this. Masterpiece - new or vintage.

18 July, 2011

Red Theodora's avatar
    Red Theodora

I am basing my review on the edt sample of Diorissimo I got from The Perfumed Court. I have never smelled the vintage.
    That said, for the whole ten minutes Diorissimo registered on my skin it was a fine, green muguet. The very essence of fresh springtime. Then on the eleventh minute it faded to nothing. Literally nothing left on my skin. How sad!
    I will at some point sample the vintage and maybe the edp and be happier than I am with this sample.

16 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 August, 2011)

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

This fragrance is one of those classics that capture you with its simplicity and charm rather than its uniqueness or bold new approach.

Diorissimo is the perfect example of a fresh, green floral that somehow manages to be loved by so many people even though the scent itself is nothing particularly mind-blowing.

To my nose I sense a lot of lily-of-the-valley in this fragrance. Almost the exact same smell as a flower bed just after it has been sprinkled with rain. For this reason Diorissimo reminds me of Spring.

Diorissimo settles on my skin beautifully. The scent is clean, flowery, soft, elegant and only mildly sweet. There is something slightly old-fashioned about this scent, however I feel that it transcends into the modern world with ease.

This fragrance could be worn both casually and formally, it really is a versatile scent. The sillage is not strong, just enough presence to be enjoyed by the wearer. I highly recommend.

05 June, 2011

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Yes, muguet takes centerstage - dewy fresh, if a little green, pretty much the scent of spring. I'm a little surprised it doesn't wear quite as femininely as some of the other muguet scents I have tried, particularly with the faintly animalic vibe lurking underneath, running through the fragrance like an undercurrent beneath the surface calm. I have heard vintage formulations contain civet but the version I had on was more recent. Perhaps it was simply the indoles from jasmine combining with the floral green profile to throw me off track? It matters not for I truly enjoy it. Vintage or not, DIORISSIMO remains to this day a captivating and classy scent.

14 May, 2011

magali's avatar
    magali
    Ireland Ireland

My spring pick me up! When feeling down or tired, I spray some on and I'm back in the garden in May. Cannot fault it.

04 May, 2011

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

This is to floral scents as the meter is to the unit of measurement. lily of the valley, lily of the valley and even more lily of the valley. Sounds simple? try it and see.

28 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 April, 2011)

sophulla's avatar
    sophulla
    Germany Germany

I owned and used a little sample bottle of Diorissimo (the vintage version) when, being a young girl, I spent a week or two in Paris. Afterwards this scent remained for me a memory both exhilarating and melancholic of spring in Paris. I still adore this fragrance.
    But it seems to me, that when the flowering time of muguet has passed, the parfume somehow doesn't fit the rest of the year, and that's why I still have been hesitating to buy it. (And also because I don't want to lose by long-term use this Paris connotation...)
    But I am happy to hear so many reviewers can appreciate this really lovely, classic scent.

25 March, 2011

teardrop's avatar
    teardrop
    England England

l bought my first bottle of this in the nineties after smelling it on a work colleague. l can still remember asking her what that wonderful smell of lily of the valley was, & her reply; "lt's Diorissimo". This fragrance was a revelation to me; l didn't know it was possible for a perfume to smell so authentically like a flower that l could recognise, with no notes to distract you from the star player. And l love lily of the valley.
    Splash described this fragrance perfectly. l will only add that l have sniffed the reformulated version, & was disappointed. lt seemed thinner, & lacked the smooth "roundness" of the original. Luckily l got a vintage EDC from ebay recently, & l'm looking forward to wearing it again this Spring. Simply beautiful.

17 February, 2011

Splash's avatar
    Splash

Diorissimo (vintage parfum) is a sunshine buoy reached for when I need to smell the budding of new life. Fresh dewy Lily Of The Valley nestled in dawn’s spring green, unfettered top notes soaring with radiant clarity. Happiness and luminosity bursting forward for an hour or two and then they evanesce into what IS there is no bottom to tether the scent to the skin. Diorissimo is exultation; short lived but a glorious experience. I haven’t tried the newer formulations yet.

14 February, 2011

yeager4772's avatar
    yeager4772

I remember my mum used to wear this scent, about...30+ years ago.
    Definitely a springtime fragrance. A flowers explosion and an amazing drydown.
    I think it is similar to Spring Flowers by Creed.
    Classy but not old, suitable for younger ladies, too.

12 January, 2011

nonnative's avatar
    nonnative

I recently put my hands on a vintage sample. So what I write is about the vintage version of this masterpiece. I fear the new version is not as good. Great soliflore. Perhaps the only one I appreciate and would wear (I normally prefer more complex works). Sharp and crispy, a spring windy and sunny day. Great simphony for a great composer as Roudnistka. A feminine touch of class for girls and ladies alike.

Tried the new formula. No disappointment. Perhaps less sharp, but still a great creation. And strikingly non retrò.

12 December, 2010 (Last Edited: 12 March, 2011)

alvinnjoinerIV's avatar
    alvinnjoinerIV
    Philippine Philippine

i have a couple of bottles of the vintage juice one in spray form and the other in the black and white checked bottle. as a guy i do have difficulty wearing it even though i like edmond roudnitska's style very much.

19 August, 2010

WildThingy's avatar
    WildThingy
    Cyprus Cyprus

I have had the version from before the refomulation. The hydroxy was not only rasping but as a basenote it outlasts anything else. The single "note" of that chemical became anoying sometimes. The Eau De Toilette was hefty right from the start, but developed whilst simplifying into an even louder fragrance subjectively. The radiance of the frag has not been evaluated by others, sorry. I never asked anybody about it. Maybe my 100ml "Tester" contained a far more concentrated juice as nominal the EdT is. But this EdT was to much to wear. Compared to Fracas the latter wasn't that much louder. In the end I had to give it away.

The contemporary EdT shows itself less creamy, hence lighter, more wearable. I never gave it a full try either. All in all I would like to conclude that, as more eloquent people mentioned before, why should women smell of flowers? And if at all, why lilly of the valley?

04 August, 2010

Mimi Gardenia's avatar
    Mimi Gardenia

I appreciate this perfume for what it is - a classic Dior . However,I think of piles of lilies on Christian Dior's coffin whenever I try this scent which kind of ruins it, for me.It seems very linear to me , it is just lily of the valley . Quite simple. I don't find the longevity that good .
    It is elegant, it is romantic but it is also funereal . Take your pick !

14 June, 2010

Jean Patou Fan's avatar
    Jean Patou Fan

Diorissimo is a beautiful and classic floral fragrance, based on Lily Of The Valley. Added to the Lily are green, animalic and very subtle spicy notes.

My friend wears Diorissimo and standing next to her is like being in the middle of a huge and beautiful bunch of flowers. Unfortunately on me Diorissimo changes and soapy notes appear, which taint the perfume, making it smell like gone-off Lily Of The Valley. Strangely, I can wear Caron's Muguet De Bonheur (which I think is very similar to Diorissimo) without this happening. My friend, who buys Diorissimo regularly, tells me that the Parfum (her favourite) is still available, as is the EDT. Apparently the original Esprit De Parfum (which she always wore during the summer) has recently been discontined and replaced by a version called Eau De Parfum. She doesn't like this at all, and says that it smells cheap and nasty in comparison to the existing Parfum and EDT (and nothing like the discontinued Esprit De Parfum).

I really have to give Diorissimo a thumbs up, as it is a beautiful fragrance; not one I can wear, but one I love on other people.

29 March, 2010

*bloomy*'s avatar
    *bloomy*

I tested the newest version: I wish I loved this... Lily of the Valley is one of my all-time favorite flowers. It's probably just my body chemistry After the initial lovely LotV blast, a nauseating note develops, like something is rotting. Not a terrible scent and I will continue to test on different occasions. Hoping this gets better....

05 March, 2010

foetidus

With my initial testing of this, my first thought was “Whoa, LILY OF THE VALLEY… in spades! It was a remarkably real and natural lily of the valley note, strong, with a simple touch of green… to me this seemed almost like a soliflore lily of the valley. The next seven - eight times I tested left me befuddled and unsatisfied: The opening and heart were primarily green with some bergamot and a little lily of the valley. After the green settles down some, I pick up the amaryllis, I think, and possibly some lilac… but the lily of the valley is highly limited and I get no floral jasmine, although I definitely get an indole or civet note. The sandalwood stays in the background while the civet or indole-of-jasmine(?) quietly moves in and out of the green / floral accord.

What happened to the lily of the valley? It was so dominant and clear the first time… after that, nada!

It still turns out to be a pleasant fragrance but I would very much prefer that killer lily of the valley fragrance I smelled the first time.

19 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 November, 2011)

Fragranza's avatar
    Fragranza
    Germany Germany

Vintage Diorissimo (my bottle is from the early 80s) is a wonder: lush, sparkling, rounded - eternal spring in a bottle. I don't wear it often, but when I do, I'm always totally smitten by it. Best in winter, when it's cold and icy outside and the sky is sapphire blue.

The latest version (2009) of Diorissimo is harsher and louder in my opinion; think Cristina Aguilera dressed up as a a glamourous Hollywood star of the 1950s vs. young Grace Kelly.

Diorissimo doesn't actually smell youthful to me, more like what was meant to be young and careless once. Today it's classical and ageless.

19 November, 2009