Neutral Reviews of Dioressence by Christian Dior

Find out more about Dioressence by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

purplebird7's avatar
    purplebird7

What begins with "D" and has four syllables? Dioressence. What else? Disappointment. This cannot be the dynamic fragrance that influenced a generation. It is attractive, but not earthshaking. It is warm and vaguely animalic, but not overtly sexy. Because of its history, I wanted this fragrance to grab me by the neck and shake me like a tiger. If there is anything to a name, it should mean The Essence of Dior. By the same token, it is odd that the primly named Miss Dior carries a bigger whallop. Most of the time, when I like something on a paper strip, I love it on my skin. Even if I hate it on paper, I sometimes love it on my skin. I loved Dioressence on paper, right from the start, so I was prepared to go ape over it on my skin. The first whiff was animalic, fecal, which got my attention. But the opening note faded quickly, politely, and softly into the background, leaving the rest to develop into a sharp, then tangy cinnamon and sweet/sour floral combination, and then progress into an earthy geranium and patchouli aroma, still mildly dirty. I love chypres and patchouli and all of the notes contained in Dioressence. Altogether it strikes me as a good, but not glorious fragrance. Maybe the modern version has changed drastically from the vintage? Or am I only expecting too much from a legend?

21st February, 2007

FroFro's avatar
    FroFro

Classic, but definitely not a summer scent. Goes well with cashmere sweaters, though. I'm undecided on this one - some days I love it, some days I can't stand it.

Which hasn't stopped me for having it in my wardrobe, so I guess I love it more than I hate it.

02 February, 2006