Positive Reviews of Poison by Christian Dior

It's easy for me to write about the scents I that give four stars--but five stars? I need more space than this box provides. Five-star scents are essay scents. These could involve history, or cogitation, or passion, or all three.

Still, I'll try to keep this as simple as possible. Poison was the first perfume I loved--not the first perfume I enjoyed, or the first perfume I loved wearing, but the first perfume that I *loved*, the insane way that teenage girls fall in love. That love was about mystery and discovery and a sense of things being made just for me. I know that's maudlin, but that's adolescent love.

All these tender emotions may seem to run opposite to the camphor-and-tuberose beast in a bottle that comes to mind when you think of Poison, but consider the competition in 1985. It was a time of big smells, especially at my otherwise conservative Southern Baptist-dominated high school. The boys wore Polo. The girls wore hairspray. Giorgio was the floral du jour. I hated that for its aldehydes and its pretentions and it's Polo Club preppy stripes. ("Of Beverly Hills." Seriously?)

My friends and I were nascent post-punk kids in a repressive carpet of Laura Ashley pastels. We cared about music and art and getting out of our small town. This was at a time when you could still get beaten up for looking like we did. I looked awful with black hair, so I bleached mine: I was that one Gothy girl with blonde hair. All my friends wore Shalimar or Coco, so I felt like they were already taken, and they didn't suit me. And so, enter Poison--a floral fragrance that seemed punk rock. It was perfect. And it was new. And it came from a proper French fashion house. It smelled like nothing else on earth, except maybe an outer-space patchoulyized update of my grandmother's Jungle Gardenia. And its sweetness smelled heavenly mixed with the tannic crumbles of tobacco in the lining of my beaten black leather biker jacket. I would take that jacket out of my closet and just sit there, inhaling. That smell, the whole thing, was *me*.

In light of Poison's ultimate fate in the hands of big-haired women twice my age at the time, I realize how ridiculous all this seems. I was likely not the perfume's intended demographic at all. Or--given the limited number of options available to the perfume consumer in 1985--maybe I was, because maybe anybody was. I don't know much about how a major perfume launch was conducted then (or now). Maybe the idea was to play up the scent's uniqueness. Who can say? Through the wonder of those strange, Lilith-and-the-Apple adverts, we found each other at just the right time--alienated dreamy teenager and newly launched purple fantasy juice. And where I lived, it was completely monogamous. Nobody at my high school would touch the stuff. And. get this: the preps started talking to me, because I wore nice perfume. And I found something to talk to them about. Poison gave me a ticket out of the shell.

I missed Poison's devaluation in the latter years of the 1980s, when I went off to college and really dropped out of the mainstream. I didn't own a television, and I didn't bother with fashion like I had at home. Like many college students, I shed my old identity when I went away, leaving my confrontational self behind. I traded in my perfume, too. (I'll come back to that). When I saw Poison around in those years, it was usually at Walgreens or another downmarket drugstore shelf. Seeing it there felt depressing, a little like seeing a former boyfriend who ended up on skid row.

I have always felt like Poison never deserved its terrible reputation. The people who wore it didn't understand it. Even when I first wore Poison, knew that you could easily put on too much. One spray was enough--and even then, you had to use the spray-and-walk-through method to get the right distribution. Otherwise, headaches and worse would result. But at the right dosage, it's sublime. It's cool and hot, sweet and bitter, light and dark. Did I mention it's economical? My bottle--I only ever had one--lasted for years. And years. I don't think it was ever thrown away. For all I know, it's off in storage somewhere--

Now I have a small bottle of vintage extrait. It did not come cheap. Even though Poison takes a lot of cheap shots on the fragrance boards, I know it gets love and respect as well. I also see that young kids are actually wearing it. I'm so glad about this, because it's a beautiful fragrance that deserves to take its place among the classics. (The reason women went nuts with it in the first place was because it smells terrific--however, more Poison is nasal fatigue, not better).

I sometimes layer my extrait with some of my earthiest oud and leather fragrances. I encourage you to do this. If I get the blend just right, I can get uncannily close to my teenage self. I can remember Love and Rockets vinyl and David Lynch movies (things I still like very much and enjoy to this day) and the smell of cigarettes and my biker jacket (things I miss very much but can't have back) and that feeling of waiting for my life to really start (a feeling that goes away when you figure out that this is actually really it, now, right here).

So I can't be objective about Poison, even if I wanted to be. It's tied up in my identity. I'm still a Perfume Person. In fact, to many people, I'm still a Loud Tuberose/Patchouli Perfume Person, One of my best friends (who came from the circle of people who first spoke to me because I wore Poison) told me the other day whilst perfume shopping, "I still can't believe you don't own Portrait of a Lady." I probably should. But it's not the same. It seems pointless to wear things that are even similar Poison, even if their quality is technically better.

So, when I chose something new to replace Poison on my dressing table, I went for something that would show that I had developed some taste and restraint. The fragrance? YSL's Paris--that model of decorum. But that's another story--
20th May, 2016
Poison is the evil queen incarnate.

Her deep purple curvaceous bottle that fits perfectly in your hand, the clear crystal top is worn as her crown. Gold letters incribe her name.

Her sprayer hisses her venom onto my skin and it tingles. I come to her when I need the power to seduce, transform into the femme fatale.

She never fails in her powerful embrace.

Plums, tuberose and spices in a cloudy jolt of a nasty off putting note at first to punish you for what you dared to unleash. Then it works her magic in a large way, the carnation, the purpleness envelops you...transforms you.

The greater whole it creates with individual notes rising from time to time enraptures your attention. This is no ordinary scent. This is one of the greatest of all time, a hallmark of an era.

Only her decadent goddess sister Opium stands as one of her equals. Poison is the malevolent one.

I obtained a nib 1989 3.4 edt edition for this review. Its been 20 years since I encountered her original form. She is just as strong, potent and magical as ever. My senses recognized her as an old dark sexy friend. Although her formulation has changed with the times and become more syrupy and grape than her original overripe plums, never underestimate the evil queen.

I adore her.
29th March, 2016
In the 1980s, when Poison was first introduced, it was not one of my favorites - but nostalgia induced me to try it again, these 30-plus years later, and oh, am I glad! Reformulation has toned it down and shifted its emphasis, but the current EDT is still a mysterious fragrance with depth and dimension. This is a lush, warm tuberose-and-amber scent, developing into a cloud of fragrance that is sweet, but not overbearing. Longevity and sillage are only moderate, but that seems to be the way it is with modern reformulations - I'm very pleased, even so.
03rd December, 2015 (last edited: 04th December, 2015)

Deleterious dilettante...

The only thing distinguishing whether any given substance is either a poison or a remedy is the quantity taken. And the only exception to this rule I've met thus far is Dior's purple chem grenade. Warnings like "Beware! I saw Poison in her toiletries!" before visiting some girl's private chambers were not uncommon at all during its reign of terror. And I've seen many a tough guy being on the slave end of a leash as soon as they managed to get on their feet again, after being floored by Poison which had viciously bitch-slapped them to submission a few moments ago. And their mullets didn't save them. On a second thought, I believe that nothing could save them.

Although one of the most desirable traits of poisons is nontraceability, this one had none. It could be traced from two blocks away and linger like forever in the crime scene after the job was done. Had someone splashed it in 1985, it would have probably been there till the early '90s.

Poison fell like a bomb on our unsuspecting world and burned it to a cinder. The aftermath could be described with just one word. Pandemonium. For a couple of years after it entered our reality (bending it beyond repair), my small city was reeking with it 24/7, to the point of rendering almost impossible to recognise a woman's presence by her perfume anymore.
But its huge (and more than often abusive) overuse is not the reason behind considering it the most important perfume of the '80s. No, it's the fact that I can hardly imagine any other perfume from that decade deserving the title of "cornerstone" that much.
And I'm still more than eager to marry any woman who has a vintage bottle of it, along with Loulou and Byzance, on her dressing table. For these three sentinels guarding her inner sanctum would surely be an irrefutable proof that living by her side would be a perpetual roller coaster. And how could it be any different when the triptych of her woomanhood would speak through Loulou's guile innocence, Byzance's despotic dominance and Poison's mesmerising witchery?

There's not even a single thing even remotely reminding of light whenever Poison enters the stage. If you're looking for some bright and sprigthly mooded perfume, spare yourselves the shock and don't bother trying it.
Just try to imagine a tall, lithe woman, with her long raven narcotic hair being the only thing covering her alabaster body. Now put her in front of an altar made of purple marble, uttering strange arcane chants and gesturing fluidly to the void. You don't know what the crimson liquid trickling from the corner of her mouth is...
Still don't get it? Run!

Last year, my mother, who knows that I'm a perfume junkie threefold the way she was in her prime, presented me with a full 50ml splash bottle which she had been keeping for nearly 30 years. The cabochon glass stopper strummed immediately some half-forgotten '80s tune, hidden in the depths of my heart. I guess it was something coming from an era when cheap plastic gimmicks were treated exactly the way they deserved. Like cheap plastic gimmicks. Its sentimental value aside, I was expecting nothing less than it would have turned into something despicable, if not to dust. Well matey, think again! The bloody hellcat smelled as if she was vialled just yesterday! All her stupendous eminence and glory was there, completely unaltered and still hollering for obedience. And who was I to deny it?
Having not experienced Poison for over a decade, I had almost forgot the facts verifying the theory and the actions triggering the mood. Poison, the way I remember it, was never negotiable or forgiving.

Sillage? If you were standing on the Equator having just damped some and you felt a light tap on your back, you shouldn't be worried. It would be Poison having already circled the Earth.
Longevity? You could spray it on the plaque on Pioneer 10 and see how aliens would deal with it after n years.
Smell? No fancy metaphors here. It smells like Poison and that's it. Period.

Given all that, I overlook the fact that its box's malachite pattern and general layout is shamelessly stolen from Jean Couturier's Coriandre from 1973. I love malachite, and for some strange reason, if someone would ask me what colour should a poison have, I'd answer "green". So according to this abstruse linkage, Poison's box fits its content perfectly.

Aye, the '80s were surely a time when "big hair, big shoulders, big perfume" was the newfound Holy Trinity of voguish mods worldwide, but Poison's irreverent mouth was even bigger. Thus swallowing everything coming its way was rather inevitable back then. The only limited thing about it was the diction it used, since two out of three words it usually spat out were "screw" and "you". The third was always something like "sucker", "loser" or "dreg".
But I never really detested its unapologetic egotism, cause when it comes to perfumes, what we all ardently crave is not them screwing around, but screwing with our minds. And for some 30 years now, Poison still brandishes one of the biggest bloody screwdrivers I've ever seen...
30th November, 2015
A touch of dark magic...

What a fragrance! Smelling this one is such an experience all by itself! A classic that has been around first as a phenomenon and then as a cult favourite for decades!

I am so happy that I finally got to try this one. The mother of all fruity, boozy sweet floral wonders! Experiencing Dior Poison is such a magical thing that I needed to write about it.

OK, so the version I have is the current Eau de Toilette. I haven't experienced older or stronger versions, but the one I have here has impressed me enough. To me, it is a very "Gothic" kind of fragrance. You have a blast of stewed and boozy fruits (plum, berries, and honey and cinnamon), this is joined by a host of crazily dense notes, myrrh, benzoin, oppoponax, tuberose, jasmine, rose. So many things going on but it is absolutely addictive! I can see why this one was a best seller for so long...

I think that this was almost like Tom Ford Black Orchid before such a thing ever existed. I think the structure of that particular fragrance owes a lot to this one. Except I think I like this one better. I love the way the fruits and honey are joined by the resins and soft florals, a juicy, addictive mix that almost feels like being drunk. It's a wonderful experience.

To me it reminds me of everything that is dark, seductive, Gothic and opulent. I think of velvet cloaks and masked balls. I think of intrigue, seduction, betrayal, and lust. All of those things are captured in this incredible smell.

Of course I do recognise that perhaps not everyone out there will like it. It is dense and it is so full of flavour and "shock" for the nose that it can be hard to take in. But you know something? I keep wanting to smell it. I think this comes mainly because of it's originality, due to the fact that it is so unusual. You will be noticed when you wear this one.

Yes I do like it, very much. I have no problem wearing it as I think it is pretty much unisex by today's standards. I have never experienced the vintage version, but I am told it was stronger than this. If so, that must have been quite an experience! I would recommend this one for lovers of heavy, unique fragrances, and something Gothic and classic and elegant. It is bold, so you need to be OK with that to wear it, but it really is something else.
27th November, 2015
Proto-Lutensian medicinal purple tuberose apothecary syrup, at once radiantly whorey and ascetically anti-food anti-joy anti-sex antisocial. I have come to prefer the current EDT to the old Esprit de Parfum because it is drier and gets to the resinous-sticky incense musk drydown a little faster. For me, sometimes nothing but Poison will do when I am feeling prickly, edgy, unapproachable. I am young enough not to have formed downmarket associations with Poison because of its popularity in the 80s, so it is more austere, medieval, cruel and anticipatory of Serge Lutens to me than it is shoulder pads and Dynasty. Some facet of the tuberose smells strongly of blood at the opening. A disturbing favorite.

The drydown of the latest reformulation of Poison now smells like L'Air du Desert Marocain, and it's lovely--that same incense/wood/musk. The first few hours it is unmistakably Poison, but the 80s synth-fruit recedes more than it used to. Tania Sanchez noted this as an improvement in one of the updates to The Guide. As for tenacity--when you spray it on, you expect that it will be fleeting as modern reformulations of powerhouses go, but it just keeps coming back and sticks to everything. It can be headachey--strong florals all go headachey on me--but Poison is one of the best reformulations on the market. I love Poison and used to make myself sick with the Esprit de Parfum, which die-hards must experience for the full story, but I am really liking how this new one fades down.
02nd October, 2015 (last edited: 07th October, 2015)
Salutation.

How do i hate of DIOR fragrances when they are absolutely LOVELY and just takes me away into another World.POISON line is a pillar in female fragrances by DIOR and this original poison is Seductively dangerous.It is opulence transcends into modern classicism.Fascinating,Heavy,Alluring, Timeless,Provocative,Ultra Feminine,Heady,Deep and Legendary.

The opening is Classic floral with a Fruity note which harmonizes with the note of Honey,Incense, Cinnamon,Orange Blossom,Vanilla,Sandalwood,Amber and Musk and this Magical Elixir is charm under a full moon and makes the air thick to breathe as drives men mad.

POISON is a sinfully rich fragrance for those who are not afraid of their Coquette and Passion especially if the weather is COLD and the mood is HOT.The bottle is as Glamorous as the scent. Anyway this Classic exquisite perfume is a treasure in my mind.

Sillage?Killer.

Longevity?Unbeatable.

Thank You DIOR.

8.5/10
22nd April, 2015
Best frag from the 80s IMO. Dark and in your face. Love it.
24th January, 2015 (last edited: 22nd March, 2015)
drseid Show all reviews
Poison (vintage) opens with an orange-plum-grape syrup accord with hints of underlying jasmine. As the composition moves to its early heart the jasmine takes over alongside the now co-starring banana-like tuberose and moderately sweet deep honeyed plum, adding hints of cinnamon spice support. During the late dry-down the composition turns slightly powdery as almond-vanilla-like floral heliotrope takes over control from the vacating jasmine and tuberose, with moderately sweet sandalwood and relatively tame musk adding support through the finish. Projection is outstanding, as is longevity at about 15 hours on skin.

Oh yeah, vintage Poison has the great 80s hallmarks all over it. It is powerhouse Eau de Toilette compositions like this that make one wonder how credible the Eau de Parfum and Extrait composition strengths of today that command premium prices really are. This stuff is nuclear strong, only needing a couple small dabs from the stopper to create nuclear projection. Performance aside, the composition smells absolutely heavenly when used in moderation. The first note that stood out over all others was the jasmine, as it really is the driver of the composition with the tuberose a close second. Together the two meld perfectly with the honeyed plum accord, creating a mixture that is absolutely intoxicating. The heliotrope driven base is less interesting, but it never gets too powdery, and as the mid-section is so powerful (both in its hypnotic scent profile and its potency), a little bit of a respite is welcome. Vintage Poison has "masterpiece" written all over it, and it comes as no surprise that one of the two perfumers behind it is none other than the great and highly underrated Edouard Flechier -- one of my absolute all-time favorite perfumers that hasn't released a dud yet (and the other, Jean Guichard is no slouch either). I certainly would love smelling Poison on a lady, but I confess this is one I want to wear too. The bottom line is vintage Poison EdT is completely true to its 80s powerhouse roots, adding yet another masterpiece to my favorite decade of perfumery earning it a 4.5 to 5 star out of 5 rating and an extremely strong recommendation to all. Bravo Flechier and Guichard!
28th November, 2014
Aaaaahhhh my darling poison how beautiful and bewitching you are. I've managed to hunt down vintage bottles off eBay which I love. If you haven't tried this gorgeous nectar I implore you to run out and sniff this glorious fragrance. It's great longevity wonderful silage what more could anyone want?. Let's not forget the gorgeous fragrance trail you will leave in your wake.
23rd October, 2014
"Poison" speaks to my sense of "me". It emodies everything good that I remember of all the former and present stages of my life.. The romance...the happiness...the tears...they are all blended nicely into one magnificent scent. On me, the grapey essence comes thru more than all the rest...which adds an undeniably fresh layer to the makeup of the ethereal fragrance.
Terry W
Grove City, Ohio
03rd September, 2014
Poison is the olfactory flux capacitor that will transport you back to one specific decade, the temporal home of Poison: the 80's.

To me it is a feminist fragrance. I am reminded of childhood visits to New York, seeing the women in shoulder padded power suits, power walking to work in white Reeboks. They wore their hair in shellacked french twists and heavy rouge under their cheekbones. Like Poison, they were powerful, gorgeous, smart and womanly.

Another magical aspect is the sharp, emotional turns this fragrance takes throughout the day. It reminds me of something I heard a transgendered woman say about the difference between being a man and a woman. When you're a man you feel like an ocean liner. You travel forward, the waves crash against your hull, you keep moving. When you're a woman you are a row boat. You move with the waves, you feel everything. Poison starts strong, dark, grapey and spicy, turning to a lighter floral cinnamon, and finally a honey-vanilla. It's an amazing journey, really unexpected.

25th June, 2014
Genre: Floral Oriental

Here’s the thing about Poison: taken in the abstract, it’s good. (Cringes.) It’s just that it also verges on unwearable.

Was there ever a fragrance so aptly named? (O.K., maybe Opium.) The white flower accord at Poison’s heart is at once gleefully seductive and venomous. The sultry tuberose, the intensely indolic jasmine, and the sweet, heady ylang-ylang all beckon with a siren’s song in scent. Yet just below the surface lies an inky, bitter, woody accord that presages the ruin inevitably pursuant of such decadence.

The composition is both beautiful and deadly, and it’s power only multiplies its danger. Contact with more than the smallest trace of purple potion can result in hours of socially unacceptable olfactory ostentation. While its sledgehammer impact can hard to take, I’m not sure Poison would still work if it were any less brazen or bombastic. The sheer enormity is part of its very identity. If you’re stout enough to ride out the intoxicating floral tidal wave at Poison’s heart, you’ll be treated to a delightfully soft and creamy sandalwood and amber drydown that’s worth the price all by itself.

Do I like it? Yes. More than I like its cousins and contemporaries, Amarige and Giorgio. On the other hand, in all but the lightest application I consider it appropriate for private moments only.
23rd June, 2014

Poison. For sure the most potent perfume of the 80's. Big, bold, syrupy sweet with a amazing blue- and redberry-on-winemost accord thats has been drenched in a honeysweet rose-bath. Its acts like a cougar ready to take the jump to catch its prey. Its a perfume that merely says this one thing: im coming for you and dont dare come to me...cause you've already lost. Confident, undeniable, present, its defends its territory with a self-confident pride. Seduction in optima forma. Far away from the Roudnitscka-area where subtleness was the main theme- this is more like a microphone stuck inside an opera-voice rather then listening to a close harmony-choir from a distance, carried on a freshly green breeze at the beginning of springtime. But what a clear tone it sings and holds untill the end..loud, but insanely beautifull. This is a monumental, somewhat underrated, piece of perfume-making.

23rd April, 2014
it is a once in a while perfume. It reminds me of Christmas cake and parties
31st January, 2014
It's been growing on me

I think this fragrance depends for me upon the season. Now it's summer and I wear it behind my knee caps with shorts. It is perfect for summer because the natural sweat where I wear it soon dilutes it and it is not so strong. In winter this would not be the case - too strong lingering too long. I had been wondering what I could wear in summer as my other seasons are pretty much wrapped up. Spring it's SMN Violetta and Fall-Winter is Molinard Vanille. But summer? I wanted to avoid the usual citrusy thigns that don't last at all like 4711. Well along came the idea, 'What about Poison?'.

Pros: Distinctive alright, nothing like it
Cons: Can be a bit too tuberosey sometimes...see below"

19th July, 2013
One of my all time favorite scents. My mother wore it when I was a child, and was able, I wore hers too! I owned several of the other versions of Poison, Hypnotic, Midnight, but the original is my personal favorite. It's simply unique. It doesn't smell like anything else on the market.
29th March, 2013
I remember it seemed that *everyone* wore this in the late 80s.

I did like wearing it when I eventually tried some myself in the 90s, but it certainly isn't an everyday 'splash everywhere' scent.

Maybe it just didn't suit my own chemistry as it always smelled better on everyone else though.
28th March, 2013
i am not a lover of cranation as a single note, but somehow every perfume with carnation in the middle, smells so very feminine to me, and interesting!

Poison opens up almost unbearable, nothing for the faint hearted :), but after half an hour when all the spices settle down, its yummie plum note, very sexy, and one of the rare perfumes that can only be worn in the evening :)

its def not for every day, beautiful 80s style....i love its complexity and now think that PdN maybe took inspiration from here for their Sacrebleu :)

lovely dry down, not to mention longevity or projection
15th March, 2013
such a dreamy scent for my nose!!! my mom's best friend when i was a kid used to wear this and sometime i was sprayed this to my jacket just to have it near...i was so attracted by this scent!! i was surprised how much this scent was there even the next day and the next of the next.. never trying this on my skin but as a fragrance lover i have to say that this one i felt has an inner power.. classic!
14th March, 2013
This would get a thumbs up from me just for the memories alone! Everybody wore this in the 80s and early 90s, and it is the scent of good times. It is also a scent for seduction, definitely not for somebody shy. I get a grape like scent, I guess it is the plum and berries. Lasts forever, and can be lethal if you use too much. It was actually banned from my workplace in the 80s-90s because of the strength. I still love it.
02nd September, 2012
OK, I know it SCREAMS the '80's! But I have received nothing but compliments from people when I wear it, especially from men. Been wearing it since 1987. It is my favorite "fall & winter" perfume, it's a bit strong in warm weather on me. I don't save it (or any other scent) for special occasions, I'll wear it with jeans or an evening dress. It's strong, even the cologne, so use it sparingly.
02nd September, 2012
It opens sweet, intense, shining, cloying, boozy fruity floral. I don't find it overpowering, its strong yet strangely soft. I hate to use the description "powdery" but about 10 minutes after application {to wrists and partly on sleeve} an intense old fashioned talc powder, then a beautiful note. I don't know what it is - is it an angel singing? Gosh I love it its taking me on a journey - a tour of some sort a tour through the everglades in a canoe past eerie twisted trees draped spookily with spanish moss. The home of alligators, snakes. unseen things that slither and splash.. ok back to the perfume... I don't think "Poison" is really an apt name.. I think it maligns a beautiful masterpiece. Isn't it like calling the Mona Lisa 'Scarlet Woman' or 'aldulteress' or Whistlers Mother 'Old Axe-Murderer' or 'lunatic asylum inmate' Anyway it settles to an intense almost narcotic floral for awhile. Then theres a pinch of something cooly medicinal..now a good quality vanilla, woody, floral, sensual sweet tobacco, lily balsamic, old paperbacks. I've turned the light out now to try to go to sleep, and now I suddenly realize why so many reviewers have said "not for the faint-hearted". Maybe I should have conducted this little test at the beginning of the day instead of the end. Poison, suddenly [because of it's name} seems suggestive of danger - will spiders visit me and crawl over me while I sleep? Silly me, just because its CALLED poison - yet, why did they name it that? What did they put in it? Don't be silly I tell myself. Go to sleep. Fast forward to next morning - I had trouble going to sleep and had to get up to get a drink of water to stop coughing, then was awoken a little later by my son thinking he heard someone breaking into my other sons car, so I went and looked out a window for a while watching for any possible intruders but there was no one but odd inexplicable sounds like water splashing. On awaking next morning I sniff and its now a strong sweet heavy floral reminding me of night blooming jasmine which I love. Its been 8 hours since I put it on so this must be the dry-down, but it also changes to more of a mellow woody vanilla floral after even more time. So, to me its beautiful and intense and I really do love it. I will have to try a more recent bottle as this one I tested I would say is one from the late 1980's, probably. Its a non-spray EDT in a oval bottle and you can see the juice is wine coloured through the purple bottle. I earlier declared I don't find it overpowering but I think I'll apply it in the morning, rather last thing at night so the word "poison" doesn't conjure up all sorts of gremlins!
22nd August, 2012 (last edited: 07th December, 2012)
Sultry, mysterious, seductive, gothic - FANTASTIC.

While not my type of scent, Poison is perfect at what it does. It's dark and powerful, lasts forever on my skin and projects like a beast.

While dark, it's still very feminine. The name Poison describes it perfectly, and the bottle design is also absolutely spot on.

It's unique and not for everyone, but on those who can pull it off it's irresistible.
10th July, 2012
Top: Coriander, plum, wild berries, anise, Brazilian rosewood
Heart: Carnation, jasmine, African orange flower, tuberose, opoponax, cinnamon, rose, incense, honey
Base: Vetiver, musk, sandalwood, Virginia cedar, amber, vanilla, heliotrope

Back in the mid-80's, weeks before Poison was introduced in my country, this daring and intriguing new fragrance was the main topic of conversation amongst perfume aficionados. We could not wait to experience it. A few friends who had just come back from Europe and had the opportunity to try it unequivocally voiced out their utter disappointment. When Poison finally arrived, it was very badly received by perfume amateurs and the general public as well. The same uproar had occurred four years earlier when Giorgio (Giorgio Beverly Hills) came along. In big stores, sales personnel working in the cosmetic/perfume department and even those working in neighbouring departments complained about the overwhelming vapours that flew around as customers came in droves to try on these new trendy fragrances.

When worn by someone who cannot handle it, Poison can be described in one word: Brutal. The flower notes are extremely loud, dark and heavy. Also, the many syrupy candyish notes can be disgustingly sweet (I often heard people say about Poison: This smells like grape juice!). Finally, for better or for worse, the longevity of this fragrance is almost endless.

Now, why should I give this controversial fragrance a thumbs up rating? Quite simple, in fact. Over the years, I have met a few women who smelled absolutely divine when wearing Poison. Surprisingly, this very intense and heady fragrance became delicate and fresh on these women's skin. It smelled like a delicious mix of tropical fruits and flowers with a hint of honey and cinnamon.

My conclusion: Poison was meant to be intoxicating but on the wrong person, it can be lethal. Maybe this fragrance should come with a warning sign!
04th July, 2012
There is nothing else like Poison! It's the "special" fragrance I wear for evening. I don't wear Poison during the daytime -- it's much too heavy and erotic. I love every phase of Poison, but especially that last musky one. It has excellent sillage and lasting power!
Poison was the first "good" fragrance my husband bought me. . .yep, back when it came out and it continues to be his and my favorite date night fragrance.
22nd May, 2012
I inherited half a bottle of this from my mother, back in the nineties. A gorgeous, heady tuberose, and to date, one of the most unique and easily recognizable fragrances that I have encountered. The longevity is amazing, given that it's available as an EDT. Lasted much longer than quite a few EDPs I have tried. Though the bottle is long gone, I find myself comparing each and every new fragrance I try to this one..and so far none have come close. Well, except maybe Pure Poison..guess I have a thing for rich florals.
14th May, 2012
Beautiful, intoxicating concoction and unlike anything else out there. 10/10 Masterpiece
28th February, 2012 (last edited: 22nd May, 2014)
Alityke Show all reviews
Pure unadulterated filth and I LOVE it! Big tingly jolt straight to the nether regions. Yes a love or hate fragrance and impossible to wear subtly but if you need a wake up or brightened Up try it
27th November, 2011 (last edited: 04th December, 2011)
Gawds, I love this stuff! Yes, it's strong; use less, already. ::rolling eyes:: But that fabulous grapey/heliotrope-y top note--f*ck, it's not a note, it's a whole damn cantata!--over those mysterious intricate understories, just delights me. I miss Caswell-Massey's much simpler and gentler Heliotrope cologne for exactly that unapologetic grenade-in-the-jam opener. (What a great description! Thanks, whoever. :)) For one thing, and here I'm speaking as an aromatherapist, it's wonderfully energizing for people with Seasonal Affective Disorder. For another, it has a loooooooong drydown that keeps seducing and/or intriguing you in different ways for about as long as you can pay attention. Eccentric, gorgeously constructed, gorgeous-smelling, and absolutely not for everybody--but then, you don't want to smell like everybody, do you?
13th November, 2011