Reviews of Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

Find out more about Dolce Vita by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

In Perfumes: The Guide, Luca Turin tells us that Dolce Vita started life as one of Pierre Bourdon’s variations on his Féminité du Bois for Shiseido before he submitted the formula to Dior, and I smell no reason to disbelieve the account. Granted, Dolce Vita is a lot more “féminité” and a good deal les “bois” than the original, with more obvious floral notes and powder decorating the original’s core accord of cinnamon, fruit compote, and resinous cedar. Dolce Vita is sweeter, milder, and much less incisive in character than the Shiseido. Until the drydown, where the cedar and spices assert themselves more clearly, Dolce Vita hews closer to a conventional fruity-floral oriental style than to the paradoxically rich, yet transparent woody oriental nature of its predecessor. Given that both Féminité du Bois and Donna Karan’s related, but somewhat grittier Chaos are both back on the market now, I wouldn’t be inclined to chasing after the comparatively bland Dolce Vita.

12 June, 2014

Shifty Bat's avatar

Rarely is peach so beautifully represented as in this composition. The supporting cast was perfectly arranged to make the star shine that much brighter. I feel this might have been a friendly yet trite piece, had it not been for the cinnamon and sweet woody backdrop wonderfully amplifying the fruit's natural essence. It's very well constructed and super pleasant. Dolce Vita is a simple scent. If you like the idea of apri-peach over a bed of cinnamon, sandal, and white petals, this will delight you.

12 April, 2014

Captain's avatar

This is a well balanced, powdery, woodsy and spicy peach. The quality is unquestionable. The cardamom adds an interesting twist. This is the "musk" everyone speaks of. There is none. Without this edge it would just be another sandalwood/woody fruit mix like so many others. The bottle is adorable, love it!

19 March, 2014 (Last Edited: 24 March, 2014)

JuditinL's avatar

I fell in love with this scent when I was still at university. I still love it and wear it on special occasions. It has a feminine and light but still powerful demeanor. Not for the workplace, as it can be very distracting.
    Most scent last on my skin for a very long time, about 10-12 hours.
    My other half finds it "acidy" the first couple of hours.

01st November, 2013

mariana's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Very ladylike!

A very classy and joyful aroma! Sweet cinnamon, a concoction of peaches and abricots plus a hint of cardamom. Extremely lady-like, perfect for evenings, deep passion in a bottle! :)

26 September, 2013

rbaker's avatar

Floral cinnamon 3/5 stars

It is really the magnolia that initially stands out on my skin, with a peach note following. In the drydown a somewhat synthetic cinnamon appears, and later heliotropes with vanilla dominate the base, but not cloying. Overall subtle with limited silage and projection, and about three hours of longevity. A lighter Dior.

24 September, 2013

dlane1953's avatar

Floriental with gourmand flourishes

I received a generous sample of D.V. (current forumlation) and though I didn't adore it in all stages of develoment, I think it's a very pleasing floral oriental that would appeal to a broad spectrum of fragrance lovers.

The opening was sweet and soft, with a touch of citrus that's not listed in the notes. Lily of valley, rose, and magnolia are the stated notes, but to my nose they blended together in a pleasant harmony. Creamy and very feminine.

The heart notes came to the fore rather quickly. I kept catching whiffs of ripe honeydew melon, although the fruits are peach and apricot according to the notes. A very sweet heart that lasted for a very long time. The sweet florals and the fruity notes began to remind me of exotic cocktails and flower leis on a beach somewhere in Hawaii, so if these types of notes appeal to you, this fragrance will delight you. A tad on the sweet side for my tastes but lovely.

The sandalwood/vanilla base is wonderfully rich and creamy. In fact, the fragrance reminds me of a dessert in many ways. Gourmand lovers, take note.

Sillage is strong and longevity excellent, almost 10 hours now and still strong.

Write Reply

250 Characters left

Post Reply

Pros: Floral fruity with lovely dry down
    Cons: On the sweet side"

22 September, 2013

Darvant's avatar

The woody/vanillic/spicy Dolce Vita's cloud is cozy and finally a bit creamy, is rich and articulated by spices and green/floral patterns although a bit too common in genre nowadays, in the age of the intoxicating One Million and Hypnotic Poison. The combination of patchouli/bergamot/sandalwood and vanilla flanked by spicy/earthy notes imprints a classic luxury vibe, the rosey and soapy nuances are classy and well modulated, the final touch of heliotropic (coconut kind) powderiness is almost gourmandish and voluptuous although yet smelled elsewhere in a similar white kind of coziness. May be is the excess of spicy fruitiness, a sort of starring peachy cinnamon (yes a bit raspberrish and with the pungent lily's touch), the element that slightly bothers the accomplishment of my full pleasure so that i prefer to rate this fragrance as an average one in spite of its undeniable quality.

16 November, 2012

rogalal's avatar

I've thought that Egoiste took a traditional rose/sandalwood/patchouli attar and twisted it into something French. In turn, Feminite Du Bois draped Egoiste in burgandy velvet and drenched it in wine and butter and berries until it was THE ultimate dense gothic perfume. Then, Dolce Vita came along and stripped away all the gothic finery and Arabian luxury, leaving bare the bone structure. That's not to say that Dolce Vita feels minimal, it just has a lot less happening than its older siblings.

It starts with an explosion of ionones, that hyper-bright violet over vague suede. This is supported by an unusual sandalwood that almost smells like buttered sawdust. There's a little bit of a red wine smell, as well as some fruits and a slight aldehydic brightness, but the star of the show is that buttery suede/lumber smell.

It's funny to read the reviews here. Some people like it because of the name. Some people like it because it's Dior. And a bunch of people think it's boring. I don't think it's boring, but I do think it's a calculated attempt to make a Feminite Du Bois with broader appeal and less dark weirdness, so there is a carefully planned dullness in Dolce Vita. But it's not boring...

30th October, 2012

magali's avatar

Ireland Ireland

For me it's all about the cinnamon and maybe that's why I associate this with winter. It's Christmas and ginger bread men. It's cloves and cinnamon in mulled wine. I don't think of Italy and Vespas... Weird...

25 February, 2012

eleftheria's avatar

Greece Greece

very elegant and classy,smells wonderfull!after an hour or so the vanilla notes remain but there are also traces of lemon and soap at the base notes i think. Very sensual without being very loud and annoying. One of the very few perfums that i have purchased for the fourth time. Unfortunatelly the body lotion and shower gel are not in the market anymore.

15 February, 2012

Moonlit Snowflake's avatar

England England

Happy.. happy.. HAPPY! I cant help but smile when i wear this fragrance - it's literally sunshine in a bottle! A sniff of this transports me to a sun-drenched, secluded spot in the south of France, sipping champagne cocktails and laughing softly whilst wearing a feminine full-length sun-dress & wide-brimmed hat, dripping with gold jewellery!
    OK.. so my description leaves a lot to be desired, but somehow this scent makes me feel flirty, feminine, relaxed and youthful, yet refined, classy and 'grown-up' all at the same time.
    For me this is the perfect scent for summer.

08 September, 2011

blood-orange's avatar

Let's start by saying that this is a rather unique fragrance. It has a certain powdery and musky quality which could take you either side of the fence. Love it or hate it you can't deny that this is a very intriguing scent.

Sweet it definitely is, however this isn't synthetic or sugary sweet, it's more accustomed to being powdery sweet, almost a sunny and warming scent.

Peach seems to be the most dominant note to my nose. Subtle hints of rose, lily, apricot, coconut, vanilla and woodsy notes make up a majority of the fragrance. In a way Dolce Vita can be interpreted as a tropical scent, being slightly beachy.

Unfortunately this fragrance disturbs me. I'll blame it on the musky vanilla which makes me think of dark and damp cellars and second hand dress stores.

Overall, the lasting strength and sillage are equally good. Distinctive and generally well received, Dolce Vita may not appeal to me but I'm sure others will enjoy.

11th June, 2011

kastehelmi's avatar

Sweet--indeed sweet, but in a drier floral-reminiscent way. I think it would be a nice fragrance to wear in cold weather, to remind one of warmer flower-filled days-not woody on my skin, too sparkly sweet to make me think of woods, or smell outstandingly woody. I don't love it, but I like it, and I can't imagine it offending anyone.

It's one of those beautifully balanced fragrances, absolutely unremarkable on my skin, but pleasant. The right day could bring out Dolce Vita, the right day could give its not- light-but-not-heavy sweetness some kind of depth and allure, but I never had that day. This is not what I imagine when I hear the term "la dolce vita", although it is definitely la dolce vita di qualcuna.

Somebody once described this scent as one of the "boring sweets" (if you said this, let me know, identify yourself!) I agree with this statement, although it is classy, and it really stands out for a boring sweet--compared to most everything on the market today, it is superb!

Actually, it's kind of more interesting in warm weather, since it seems like a safer kind of fragrance-a gentle Oriental, not Floriental, not Oriental Woody, and none of the strength, but definitely not hollow. I only owned a bottle for a while, but I wouldn't mind having it again!

21st March, 2011

lady love's avatar

Argentina Argentina

I put on my skin dolce vita and i feel very elegant.

This fragrance is soft-warm and creamy, the kind of smell i will use in a beautiful sunny day, but I think it would be also very suitable for night.

Dolce vita is the kind of perfume that makes you feel glamorous, without being very vain.

Don't be alarmed, the presence of sandalwood, rosewood and cedar are very week, prominent notes are Peach, coconut, vanilla, cinnamon and a tender and creamy citrus side.

If Doce vita would be released today, i think it would have a great success, so i don't smell the old lady thing.

Very good fixation for a eau de toilette..

28 January, 2011

Late-Hit's avatar

Hmmm... Although I was somewhat amused by the early hint of b.o. (cumin?) that at least one other reviewer noted, I was actually shocked by its quietness. Really... it seems rather weak.

During the drydown I also started to get the sense that I had smelled it before. Gres Cabaret came to mind, and so did Chopard Casmir. The woody fruitiness of Dolce Vita is similar to these two, bit without the sillage of either.

Final analysis: It's pleasant and lasts well on the skin, but you don't get much 'bang for the buck'.

02 October, 2010

Jean Patou Fan's avatar

Dior used to make some of the most beautiful fragrances: Diorama, Diorling, Diorella, Eau Fraiche etc; even Poison was a showstopper in it's day. Unfortunately I really can't think of anything positive to say about Dolce Vita. It's an aggressive, nondescript sweet floral, more reminescent of air freshener than haute perfumery. Allure smells very similar on me.

28 March, 2010

The_Entity's avatar

elegant and sophisticated, i wish it was stronger though

27 March, 2010

Le Grand Duc's avatar

Denmark Denmark

I was an inturn in the Beauty Salon at the Danish Parlament in 1996,
    the resident stylist was a big fan of Dolce Vita, so she made all the ladies
    of the government use this.
    All of Christiansborg Palads oozed Dolce Vita - and it was divine.

So sweet, so ritch, so feminine ... gotta love this!

13 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 22 March, 2010)

truelateral's avatar

This is the first fragrance that made me desperate to own it. After wandering the perfume counters without a clue, my nose was getting tired of all the acrid nastiness that passed itself off as grown-up scent. As soon as I tried this, I knew I would wear it. It is a delicious spicy warm scent with some sweetness. On me it makes me smell like me only better, rather than burying me under a cloud of foreign smells. This is the perfume I wear most of the winter, and the one on which I get the most compliments. One bloke at work even asked what it was because he wants his girlfriend to smell like that.

I've branched out since then, but it remains my favorite of all time. On my third bottle.

05 January, 2010

granola357's avatar

This is a lovely, cedarwood scent accented with rum-soaked fruit notes. The floral top notes disappear after five minutes, making this an ideal scent for guys who don't want another Terre d'Hermès-inspired wood fragrance. Luca and Tania say the reformulation is no good, but I haven't tried it.

02 January, 2010 (Last Edited: 23 February, 2010)

sheer83's avatar

Ireland Ireland

This was a particular favourite of one of my cousins for a couple of year. She absolutely adored this scent, and I always associate this fragrance with her whenever I smell it. However, there is a particular note in this fragrance that smells of body odour. To me this fragrance smells like someone who doesn't wear deoderant, but wears perfume! I thought the idea of wearing fragrance was to smell nice and appealing yourself and others, not of BO! Unless thats the type of thing you are into of course... Maybe the body odour smell is the whole "sexy" part of this fragrance that many people here have commented on, the smell of the human body in it's natural state. Not for me I'm afraid. This would have been a nice fragrance minus the BO note. Apologies to my cousin and all DV lovers!

12 November, 2009

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Sophisticated, uplifting floral ,sandalwood ,vanilla combo that makes it irresistable to me. Sweet but not overly sweet, perfect for any occasion ... I just love this scent.
    Ths fragrance is subtle,chic but lasting.
    The bottle and packaging are wonderful, so Dior and I am a sucker for Christian Dior fragrances !

26 October, 2009

bbBD's avatar

Bourdon's Dolce Vita is a close relative of the Serge Lutens 'bois series' (Bois Oriental, Musc, Violette) and a direct descendant of the unparalelled Feminite du Bois (Shiseido/Lutens). *FN1* Apply Dolce Vita to one hand and Bois Oriental to the other and the resemblence is totally unmistakable. Like Bois Oriental, DV's topnotes present a lush, rich collection of fruit notes supported by florals. The hints of apricot, cinnamon, and peach give it a distinctly oriental feel and distinguishes DV from the typical fruity/floral. Like Feminite du Bois, DV maintains a distinctly woody base, but it then adds a big dose of vanilla and heliotrope to sweeten and impart a powdery, almondy feel. Compared to Bois Oriental the Dior is more brash, less refined - but it's also more bold, more fun (and a hell of lot cheaper and easier to purchase).

For an EdT Dolce Vita packs a good punch of sillage and longevity (as is typical of many Dior EdTs). I'm surprised that I don't see more guys review it or mention wearing it. It's certainly not as unisex as something like Hypnotic Poison, but if you are male and enjoy Lutens' fragrances - Bois Oriental in particular - then Dolce Vita won't be much of a jump to make. The girls at my local coffee shop act as my sounding board for my various fragrances, and of everything I've worn in the last two years nothing has received such an overwhelmingly positive response as Dolce Vita (I was wearing EdT layered with parfum). It seems that DV is one of those chameleon scents that becomes very feminine on a woman but then works as a woody/oriental on a guy. A quick note on the hard-to-find parfum... it's an excellent choice if you want a focus on the woody base with less sillage but greater longevity.

Dior has cancelled Dolce Vita but ample stock remains at most online discounters... for now.

FN1 - Turin & Sanchez, Perfumes: The Guide p.101

13 September, 2009

Basak's avatar

More of my bottles were Dior. Two bottles of Dolce Vita have been finished, because it was my husband s favorite (Not mine).
    Too woody for a mostly floral lover. I was against it.
    But it has a magic. After a couple of hours it mutates on the skin and has completely another volume. Maybe this is why it is more attractive to men. I have had to convince my husband that I do not like it. I was not in love with it. And the first seconds it really disturbed me.

I would recommend it the same.

Bottle is perfect.
    And yes, "the name" for us Italians has another lovely meaning...

26 August, 2009

imogen's avatar

Dolce Vita is one of the most optimistic, sunny and happy fragrances that I ever tried. It feels like someone is smiling at you, and it has the ability to make a dreary day more cheerful, it's also very warm and somewhat sweet, but not sugary. I get a lot of peach, apricot and sandalwood and vanilla out of it. I would not call it a sexy fragrance, but it is very comforting and uplifting.

24 July, 2009

AnnS's avatar

It's a nice spicy woods fragrance, but for me there is a muddle with the musks that makes it hard to wear and a little agitating. I highly recommend testing this one to make sure the musks work. Otherwise, I prefer the Donna Karan Wenge, Chaos, etc., for a similar type woody fragrance.

30th April, 2009

winterdaisy's avatar

I remember getting this as a gift in 1998. I must have used up the bottle, since I do not remember re-gifting or throwing it away half empty. But honestly I do not even recall how it smelled. I think that is exactly how the scent felt to me. Very forgettable. If I am pressed to describe it, I would say it was sweet, but pretty light, and absolutely nothing memorable about it.

24 April, 2009

carmensizemore's avatar

I love Dior Fragrances. This was my winter/fall fragrance until 2006. It is graceful and elegant. A true classic.

20th April, 2009

Lisle's avatar

I'm fighting with myself to pick my all time favorite between this and Casmir. This is so wonderful. Reminds me of churches. OK, I can understand that this is not what everyone would want!

Lasts and lasts. Totally sexual but not in an agressive Poison way. I keep empty bottles of this in my wardrobe and spray it in my bag so I get wafts of it even when I'm wearing another perfume. It's lingers on clothing and everything it touches so try not to get it on a coat that you might wear more than once before cleaning.

The bottle and packaging are wonderful and it does give associations with Sophia Loren and 50's glamour but doesn't smell like it's old fashioned.

Magical!