Reviews of J'Adore by Christian Dior

Find out more about J'Adore by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

masamim10's avatar
    masamim10

Really wanted to love this... but all I detect is powder, powder, and... powder. It makes me want to sneeze!

Sorry, must not be for me.

Seeing the popularity of this scent, I assume it probably smells better on the people it works on than in the bottle.

16 March, 2014

Captain's avatar
    Captain

Testing a fresh sample so I assume it's the current formulation. Gah. It's so sharp and soapy, I can only assume it is the lily of the valley and cedar working together to create this affect. I love "soapy" but I like a luxe soap feeling, not a sharp cheap hotel hard soap feeling. I had to wash it off it's just an unbalanced mess. Prada's soapy scents are so smooth and less expensive and are much better than this. J'Adore isn't bad but for the price, it certainly isn't worth it nor does it stand up to the quality of other Dior scents. Gah.

14 March, 2014 (Last Edited: 24 March, 2014)

Mufta Mamma's avatar
    Mufta Mamma

Unlike Wingie, I wasn't fortunate enough to obtain a sample of the original scent, but I whole-heartedly agree that the newer J'Adore is terrible. It's an overpowering concoction of Ylang-Ylang, musk, and some foul fixative. I reserve single-star reviews for fragrances that contain the formic-acid-scented fixitives found in the cheapest of colognes and perfumes. This fragrance nearly obtained that dubious honor.

31st January, 2014

Wingie's avatar
    Wingie

This review is for the original formulation, sold in 1999. There is a difference!

The original version, sold in 1999, is very good; a classic for its era, which was largely an era of fruity-florals. The J'Adore that is being sold in stores today is crap. Pure crap. I think the distinguishment between the two needs to be made because there are reviews of what seem to be the current version saying it smells like house cleaner, shampoo, soap, etc, which is true. J'Adore has been reformulated - more than once I believe - with detrimental results.

But the original formulation is good, one of the best fruity-florals to come out of the 1990s. It can still be found on ebay, the box shows the Christian Dior label in a purple circle instead of a gold one. It is on my wishlist as a collector's item because I know one day it will no longer be available. Samples of the older version can also be found at Surrender to Chance.

Even if you smell the current version and like it, I encourage you to seek out the original version. To me there is no point owning the current stuff when the real McCoy can still be had and is miles better.

Pros: A classic; one of the best in the fruity-floral category.
    Cons: The original formula can only be found today on ebay."

23 August, 2013

Izzie's avatar
    Izzie

It's a pleasant fragrance, it really is, but there is nothing really interesting about it. It smells like shampoo, to me. And I like the way most shampoo smells, so I'm not saying it's off-putting, there's just nothing particularly unique about it.

It's one of those fragrances that I would have a hard time pointing out if I came across someone wearing it. I get as far as "that smells nice", but I can't pinpoint anything specific or particular about it that makes me go "oh, yeah, that's J'Adore"

That said, it is clean, inoffensive, easy to wear, feminine and "pretty". Probably great for women out there who aren't particularly interested in fragrances beyond wanting to smell good and inoffensive. But to someone who's smelled a lot of fragrances, this is dull, uninspired and common.

06 January, 2013

Cricketkitty's avatar
    Cricketkitty

I know I am in the minority here, but I think this stinks. If you like "clean" fragrances this is for you, because to me it smells like something you would clean your house with.

02 September, 2012

emelle's avatar
    emelle

it is for young women i think. it is really innocent and lovely .it is clean and sweet and shy.i really rocemmend this perfume .but i can't say it is for me now.i am seeking something that is more ambitious and brave. i used to have this but i don't want to have this any more.

04 July, 2012

Mimi Gardenia's avatar
    Mimi Gardenia

Three notes listed on dior.com- ylang ylang, damask rose and jasmine sambac.
    Well ,we all know there is much more to J'Adore than those three notes. What about the champaca ?? I find it interesting that on the Dior website, their olfactory notes section doesn't tell us more than three notes for each scent.
    Dear Dior.com People, do you think that we ,the general public , are unable to process the idea of more than three notes at a time ???

Personally I dislike that elongated bottle neck a lot . Personally, I don't know how J'Adore stays so popular as to be No 1 on the bestseller lists.
    Be prepared for negativity in this little review /sampling note . Apologies to all who love this scent. Believe me, my life would be much simpler and my wallet fatter, if I also loved this scent more than others !

Today I was obsessed with re sniffing J'Adore. I don't know how The Fragrance Demons attack me in the night that I awake with such a desire to re sniff something I already know, I am not very fond of to begin with ! Off to Cow Town Mall I went.
    J'Adore EDP is beautiful to begin with . There is a classical glow at first with such a blend of jasmine , rose and ylang ylang that I get this peachiness. It's like 'diffusive silk' . I love my peach so this was good smelling so far. J'Adore at this point is pretty and swoon worthy . It does seem to present some kind of olfactory picture of " Gold" . I thought to myself " I don't remember J'Adore smelling this romantic and gorgeous. "

Fast forward to the drydown . This is where my problem with J'Adore occurs. I come across this nose WALL block - perhaps it's the fruity blackberry ,perhaps violets and musk combo that really is awful on me. It's like wet cardboard - dank ,screechy ,artificial and this is the character smell of J'Adore I always associate with it. Too bad. The opening of J'Adore is gorgeous and the drydown is like some schizoid character on my skin. That schizoid character just loves to hang around . Hours later and I am smelling seriously of cardboard. it sits right here on my arm and firmly in my poor nose.
    It could be worse, J'Adore Eau de Cardboard could've given me a migraine but it doesn't. For this, it gets ' un point '.

If I had not waited till the dry down and bought J'Adore on the spot based on that silky waft of peachy-rose-jasmine , I would have been upset .That wall block of offensiveness at the dry down - such a chemical spill on my skin - would have made me take my purchase right back to Cow Town Mall for my refund.

10th June, 2012

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

A clean mildly soapy floral. J'ADORE is not particularly interesting but it is rather well made. And I cannot deny its delicately feminine girl-next-door charms. I think it makes a perfectly versatile fragrance for long summer days.

27 March, 2012

Wee Scottish Scent Lover's avatar
    Wee Scottish Scent Lover

No matter how many other perfumes I fall in love with, I never fall out of love with J'Adore. It is just overwhelmingly feminine and beautiful. I think it's the only fragrance which I still love in spite of the fact so many others wear it. It is the essence of summer time, yet it suits all seasons. In my opinion it is the most elegant of scents, not trying to be anything it isn't, just a perfect formulation of jasmine and rose, and it will always have a welcome place in my boudoir!

16 March, 2012

Minkymaid's avatar
    Minkymaid
    England England

Peach, rose, soap, safe. Saying anything unpleasant about this scent feels like shouting at a teddy bear - who could be so mean? However, the image of nice mummies having lunch while the washing machine spins in the background springs to mind. I find this a cloying scent lying over fresh laundered clothes. Thousands like it, but its just not for me.

04 February, 2012

trikkirikki's avatar
    trikkirikki
    Sweden Sweden

I really want to like this. It's fine on paper, the notes should work really well together, and I love this type of fragrance in general. But when it hits my skin nothing happens. It smells the same throughout, from top to base. The plum gets sticky sweet on my skin, and there is nothing there to balance it out. Maybe its just chemistry.

It's still pleasant enough, but dull, so dull.
    Everyday wear for someone else, not for me.

04 January, 2012

noirdrakkar's avatar
    noirdrakkar

Male perspective: This is by far the best perfume that I ever smelled.

20th December, 2011

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

The dry down, with its rosey and slightly fruity-soapy multifaceted floral wake, is a sort of redemption  of a scent that starts uninteresting with a watery (almost aquatic) orangy irony laundry feel made of citrus and ylang-ylang (that evokes with its angular trait the presence of lily of the valley on the side of citrus) and evolves towards a middle phase that is deeply floral on the side of rose, jasmine and tuberose. The juice is fresh and joyful, dry and changeful. The musky vanilla of the base is delicate and well  balanced in order to introduce a touch of smoothness and to amalgamate the complexity of the flowers. Nothing  bad with it but is not the kind of fragrance i rave for.

16 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 December, 2011)

miss mills's avatar
    miss mills
    New Zealand New Zealand

Charming, infinitely feminine and very floral and clean smelling. I have such mixed feelings for this perfume as it is the one my best friend wore for years and years and I would buy it for her birthday - she passed away so tragically and suddenly last winter that (I feel so emotional just writing this much) now that I have her used bottles that she left behind, the ones I gave to her, every time I smell it I am overcome with longing for my friend to still be here.

I will buy a purse sized J'Adore to remind me of her always. It was never the scent for me, I am definitely more of a Hypnotic Poison gal but an occasional dab will help keep my precious Cherylee forever alive to me.

27 September, 2011

Leilahdancer's avatar
    Leilahdancer

Well, now. I've worn J'Adore EDP for a few years now, but I have only recently begun to expand my understanding of fragrance. I really wish the notes were listed for this, because I'm sure my ignorant nose will miss all the good stuff!

I like the opening with fresh, white flowers and bit of soap. The middle came on as quite soapy and I don't like it quite as well. The dry down though... that I love. A little musk with some floral and hint of fresh baked cookie.

The sillage has been perfect, so far. I've only had it on for three hours now. We'll see how the longevity goes.

My new education tells me I still like this, but I wish the middle was less soapy.

07 September, 2011

queen_sheba's avatar
    queen_sheba
    Scotland Scotland

I'm so sad others don't feel the same way as me about J'Adore. I "adore" this fragrance - every time I smell, either the top, heart or base notes I am charmed by its elegance.

Its sillage is excellent, the basenotes are delicious and it just radiates femininity to me. I feel a million dollars wearing it. The way it develops on my skin is just perfect.

It's one of my next to purchase!

20th June, 2011

katk925's avatar
    katk925

I really loved this when I sprayed it on the card but when I finally tried it on my skin I got the same gross soap undertone the person below me said. EWWW

14 June, 2011

Dame Piglet's avatar
    Dame Piglet

Abrasive top notes dry down to Dial soap scent on me. My friends have all remarked that "it's not bad, but smells like cheap perfume." On someone with different chemistry it may be wonderful. I detect no fruit in the fragrance at all.

20th May, 2011

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

I must say I was rather surprised by this fragrance. By just looking at the bottle, the advertisements and the overall love that people have for this, I was expecting your typical floral that smells comforting, yet so much like Grandma.

I was quite astounded by its fruity notes when I first sprayed J'adore. It wasn't a horrid blast of citrus or overly sweetened fruits, it was more subdued and sophisticated. If I had to pick a fragrance that was similar in its composition, elegance and style, I would say Miss Dior Cherie is rather similar.

The scent itself is indeed very strong, but for me that is a quality that I enjoy in my perfumes. It definitely, in my opinion, has the potential to be a very seductive and sexy fragrance, as I have heard that many men prefer fruity scents on their women.

I believe that this scent would be signature worthy because it is not something that I can imagine someone tiring of quickly. Although best suited to special occasions and nightwear, I can imagine this being worn as a casual fragrance. I believe that its versatility relies on how much scent you apply to your skin. Remember that less is more when you use J'adore.

26 April, 2011

Grottola's avatar
    Grottola

I hate to jump on the negative bandwagon here, but add me to the chorus that thinks J'Adore smells like a shampoo. It's a fruity-floral that doesn't necessarily smell cheap, just shampoo-like.

17 February, 2011

GelbeDomino's avatar
    GelbeDomino
    Argentina Argentina

I am so very tempted to write a review that just says "Blech!" but I won't.
    I am sampling the EDP: it smells cheap and cloying, like pear candy at first and like shampoo as it dries down.
    It is making my nostrils ache. Honest.
    Not complex at all, which isn't a bad thing in itself.
    Simple scents can be nice (I enjoy my Rosines and Goutals, after all) but when they are executed in a more delicate and sophisticated way than this.

If you want to smell like pear candy and shampoo, well, stop at the candy store and wash your hair.

03 February, 2011

lady love's avatar
    lady love
    Argentina Argentina

This is just one of the best perfumes of all time. I can't live without one bottle of Jadore, cuz is the essence of true elegance.

Sweet, soft, feminine, sophisticated, and with a long power lasting without being overwhelming. Everybody know this perfume is a new classic.

28 January, 2011

jimmyguo's avatar
    jimmyguo
    Sweden Sweden

About as mass-market a female fragrance can become. I am completely unable to distinguish any of the singular floral notes (where's the champaca?) other than a starkly synthetic rose accord. Basically, it smells like some cheap hair product and nothing like the refined french luxury Dior is trying to sell us.

05 January, 2011

Mizzalot's avatar
    Mizzalot

I really love the scent of this perfume! Sophisticated, original, feminine, classy,...
    Unfortunately it fades away very quickly on my skin.
    Too bad...

20th December, 2010

foetidus

Fresh, floral, and fruity. The opening of the scent has a clear, balanced, and refined fruitiness that coordinates beautifully with the florals of the middle. The middle mixed florals carry those same kinds of balance and refinement that the fruit notes have, and that is, basically, the strong point of this fragrance: it does not have a strong single identifiable characteristic except that it is so beautifully combined of wonderfully complementary notes. Although it does “lack a distinct personality,” it would be almost impossible for J’Adore to be disagreeable. It is safe—it shows taste and refinement if not uniqueness. I think it might have been taken as an inspiration for Vera Wang for Men.

03 December, 2010

BetsyMeszaros's avatar
    BetsyMeszaros

I tried it for the first time yesterday. It's so bad I don't even know where to begin. I just don't get it.

29 September, 2010 (Last Edited: 30th September, 2010)

LiveJazz's avatar
    LiveJazz

So, I am the second person in a row to think J'Adore smells like shampoo. And no, I didn't read Off-Scenter's review before I smelled it. It doesn't smell bad. I guess I just don't see the point. I expect much more from Dior.

08 July, 2010

mysolegia's avatar
    mysolegia
    Portugal Portugal

The EDP is strong stuff, use sparingly otherwise you'll get a headache.
    I like this fragrance, especially in the late spring early summer months. It hasn't attracted bees to my wrists so that's especially a plus for me. I detect a honey-amber base to it, which I find intriguing, identifiable and IMO unusual. Would I purchase a bottle of it? Not likely, but it's a gift that I wouldn't mind getting and using. Nicely done.

28 May, 2010

Jean Patou Fan's avatar
    Jean Patou Fan

I really couldn't believe J'Adore when I first tried it: brash and aggressive, it smells more like hair lacquer than fine perfume. I'm sorry I really can't find anything positive to say about J'Adore. Nasty and aggressive, it gives me an instant headache

29 March, 2010