Positive Reviews of J'Adore by Christian Dior

Find out more about J'Adore by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

L'homme vert's avatar

*This review pertains to the original 'parfum' version circa 2000, the earlier extrait of J'Adore is more complex, verdant & lacks the syrupy sweetness found in later re-formulations, also the florals & raw materials used are of superb quality, a beautifully blended fragrance indeed, absolutely breathtaking !

This would have to be the very best version of J'Adore available, one of Calice Beckers greatest creations. The original parfum contains both Maroc and Turkish rose, Ch.magnolia absolute, jasmine abs. (Grasse), Comoros ylang ylang & damas plum with a base of rare woods including high quality sandal and amaranth. Not as sweet as the more recent eau de parfum & toilette presentations including it's associated flankers although silage & staying power is phenomenal, projects well when used in combination with the lesser concentrations &/or a moisturizing body product (best when layered). The high quality florals are beautifully blended along with the Chinese magnolia and Cassis bud, this parfum imparts a luxurious silky feel on skin & is both a joy to apply & wear, I'm not sure if this 1999 formula is still being produced (highly unlikely), either way I would suggest searching for and stocking up if possible on this glittering gem of modern perfumery. Get it now while you still can, it's not that easily found so you may need to hunt it down, I guard my supplies zealously. . .
    It is certainly worth the effort, liquid 'GOLD' !
    "Bon Chance". . .

20th July, 2014

Wingie's avatar

This review is for the original formulation, sold in 1999. There is a difference!

The original version, sold in 1999, is very good; a classic for its era, which was largely an era of fruity-florals. The J'Adore that is being sold in stores today is crap. Pure crap. I think the distinguishment between the two needs to be made because there are reviews of what seem to be the current version saying it smells like house cleaner, shampoo, soap, etc, which is true. J'Adore has been reformulated - more than once I believe - with detrimental results.

But the original formulation is good, one of the best fruity-florals to come out of the 1990s. It can still be found on ebay, the box shows the Christian Dior label in a purple circle instead of a gold one. It is on my wishlist as a collector's item because I know one day it will no longer be available. Samples of the older version can also be found at Surrender to Chance.

Even if you smell the current version and like it, I encourage you to seek out the original version. To me there is no point owning the current stuff when the real McCoy can still be had and is miles better.

Pros: A classic; one of the best in the fruity-floral category.
    Cons: The original formula can only be found today on ebay."

23 August, 2013

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

A clean mildly soapy floral. J'ADORE is not particularly interesting but it is rather well made. And I cannot deny its delicately feminine girl-next-door charms. I think it makes a perfectly versatile fragrance for long summer days.

27 March, 2012

Wee Scottish Scent Lover's avatar

No matter how many other perfumes I fall in love with, I never fall out of love with J'Adore. It is just overwhelmingly feminine and beautiful. I think it's the only fragrance which I still love in spite of the fact so many others wear it. It is the essence of summer time, yet it suits all seasons. In my opinion it is the most elegant of scents, not trying to be anything it isn't, just a perfect formulation of jasmine and rose, and it will always have a welcome place in my boudoir!

16 March, 2012

noirdrakkar's avatar

Male perspective: This is by far the best perfume that I ever smelled.

20th December, 2011

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Charming, infinitely feminine and very floral and clean smelling. I have such mixed feelings for this perfume as it is the one my best friend wore for years and years and I would buy it for her birthday - she passed away so tragically and suddenly last winter that (I feel so emotional just writing this much) now that I have her used bottles that she left behind, the ones I gave to her, every time I smell it I am overcome with longing for my friend to still be here.

I will buy a purse sized J'Adore to remind me of her always. It was never the scent for me, I am definitely more of a Hypnotic Poison gal but an occasional dab will help keep my precious Cherylee forever alive to me.

27 September, 2011

Leilahdancer's avatar

Well, now. I've worn J'Adore EDP for a few years now, but I have only recently begun to expand my understanding of fragrance. I really wish the notes were listed for this, because I'm sure my ignorant nose will miss all the good stuff!

I like the opening with fresh, white flowers and bit of soap. The middle came on as quite soapy and I don't like it quite as well. The dry down though... that I love. A little musk with some floral and hint of fresh baked cookie.

The sillage has been perfect, so far. I've only had it on for three hours now. We'll see how the longevity goes.

My new education tells me I still like this, but I wish the middle was less soapy.

07 September, 2011

queen_sheba's avatar

Scotland Scotland

I'm so sad others don't feel the same way as me about J'Adore. I "adore" this fragrance - every time I smell, either the top, heart or base notes I am charmed by its elegance.

Its sillage is excellent, the basenotes are delicious and it just radiates femininity to me. I feel a million dollars wearing it. The way it develops on my skin is just perfect.

It's one of my next to purchase!

20th June, 2011

lady love's avatar

Argentina Argentina

This is just one of the best perfumes of all time. I can't live without one bottle of Jadore, cuz is the essence of true elegance.

Sweet, soft, feminine, sophisticated, and with a long power lasting without being overwhelming. Everybody know this perfume is a new classic.

28 January, 2011

Fresh, floral, and fruity. The opening of the scent has a clear, balanced, and refined fruitiness that coordinates beautifully with the florals of the middle. The middle mixed florals carry those same kinds of balance and refinement that the fruit notes have, and that is, basically, the strong point of this fragrance: it does not have a strong single identifiable characteristic except that it is so beautifully combined of wonderfully complementary notes. Although it does “lack a distinct personality,” it would be almost impossible for J’Adore to be disagreeable. It is safe—it shows taste and refinement if not uniqueness. I think it might have been taken as an inspiration for Vera Wang for Men.

03 December, 2010

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

The EDP is strong stuff, use sparingly otherwise you'll get a headache.
    I like this fragrance, especially in the late spring early summer months. It hasn't attracted bees to my wrists so that's especially a plus for me. I detect a honey-amber base to it, which I find intriguing, identifiable and IMO unusual. Would I purchase a bottle of it? Not likely, but it's a gift that I wouldn't mind getting and using. Nicely done.

28 May, 2010

shoegal68's avatar

Love this and that's all there is to it, it's pretty, there I said it... I see alot of negative reviews but to each his own I guess.

14 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 02 December, 2010)

truelateral's avatar

Beautiful floral that seems to suit a lot of people I know of different ages. Not too sweet or spicy, just light and... well, pretty. If it turns you gold, though, I'd sue the manufacturers.

05 January, 2010

pansylady's avatar

J'Adore this scent! Right at the top of my fragrance pyramid (with Allure)- the L'eau version is particularly outstanding, by the way, and is my favorite of the growing bunch
    spritizing myself with J'Adore in the local NK here in stockholm is my favorite aromatherapy antidepressant fix, especially during these dark winter scandinavian days- talk about a cheap thrill! The Dior guy just smiles and shakes his head... Maybe santa will see this note and fix me up...

03 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 February, 2010)

shoebaglover's avatar

This sweet and pleasant scent is so unforgettable!! I just love how it lingers and stays on all day long.

29 October, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

I'd say, a very linear, very straightforward, very good bright floral with small aldehydic facets and a fat yet quiet fruity note right in the middle. Very nice since some white florals get too screechy and harsh. Not too loud and subtlety sometimes can make something more alluring. Really enjoy the musk.

17 October, 2009

misscasey's avatar

A pleasant scent with some realistic notes. I'm not getting anything besides fruits and florals, maybe a touch of something musky underneath. Gives me an impression of roses and apple peels. I like how the notes have a natural feel while fresh and soapy. Subtly sweet, with something tart to my nose. Sparkling? Sure. Interesting? Nope. Bores me to tears. I have trouble detecting this on me, and it's eau de parfum. Virtually no sillage unless my nose isn't working. Could be because I've been wearing darker, heavier scents lately. I'll have to disagree that this smells mature (not particularly at least). I could see a young person wearing this- even a teenager. At the same time, it could work for anyone who wants to wear this. A light and subtle daytime scent IMHO. Very nice but nothing exciting.

27 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2009)

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

J'Adore is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G and is one of my absolute favorites! I would classify this perfume as a clean smelling white floral. J'Adore lasts for hours and hours (On me it lasts more than 8 hours). It is classy, elegant, enchanting, and feminine. J'Adore is a high quality, high concentrated product, rather than a watered down fragrance. The scent is gorgeous! It is subtle, light, and airy but is still strong enough to turn heads when you walk by...what amazing sillage! I always get compliments when I wear J'Adore from both men and women. This fragrance can be worn day or night and is perfect for any occasion. I love everything about this fragrance...it is absoutely breathtaking!

30th March, 2009

Hellywood's avatar

Woody meets floral. More likely a 30+ fragrance so I wear it only at evenings, for dinners and such events. It's one of those fragrances that make you feel like the golden woman :)

27 February, 2009

butterbean's avatar

Gorgeous but soft, appealing, and gets better as the day goes on.

24 February, 2009

caligirl_virgo's avatar

Uzbekistan Uzbekistan

The opening of J'Adore reminds me of the garlands of the champaca flower. Growing up in Southeast Asia, champaca, ylang-ylang, sampaguita (sambac jasmine) is quite abundant. Its good to know that something so French/Parisianne originated from the orient!

14 February, 2009

tvlampboy's avatar

Femme and fruity Dior offering that will probably appeal most to women between 40 and 60.

Inoffensive enough for office wear but pleasant enough for casual wear as well.

The sweetness of the champaca can be a bit much upon application, as can the fruity notes. Soon, though, these die down and the fragrance really opens up into a lush floral heart. Nice woody dry-down.

Diorissimo it ain't, friends. But it's darn good for what it is, you bet.

12 February, 2009

Aznavour's avatar

Lovely and golden-flowered, but a grown up woman's perfume -- serious, sober, and elegant. Great longevity, though it tends to become 'generic expensive floral' after a while. Not my cup of tea, but I do admire it.

05 December, 2008

Tulippa's avatar

I remember it exactly, it was my first Dior and my first adult parfume.I was presented it on my 19s birthday. After it I falled in love with Dior ever now and then. I think it suitable for any occasion. It is typical Dior floral and fruity parfume, very feminine. Now I want to repeat it, it is one of my 'must-have's.

26 October, 2008

mis.anderson's avatar

It's possible I'm influenced by the advertising, but J'Adore really does feel sparkling and opulent, golden and shimmering (not to be confused with "tan" golden). It feels like soft yellow glow of lights.

07 October, 2008

unchienne's avatar

Having received J'Adore as part of a large lot of sample perfumes, I was immediately attracted to its sophisticated floral scent. It's always been hard for me to find a perfume to wear because the ones that I'm attracted to don't do well with my chemistry. I'm also fond of soft florals, but become frustrated because most are found in perfumes which resonate with an artificial/cheap sourness or are cloying. J'adore is none of these things. It reminds me of a very tasteful, very expensive floral arrangement set in a pristine crystal vase in the middle of an empty table. Nothing to distract from the beauty of the moment. While there is a definite floral scent, it's not what I would consider sweet. On my skin, the result is deep...slightly musky but without resorting to a traditional sandlewood in order to achieve the result. A very sophisticated scent that I use day or night and long-lasting too. It's not unusual that I still catch a whiff off my wrists at the end of a long work day. I've since purchased a full bottle, and it's become a wardrobe staple.

18 September, 2008

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Smells exquisite and mature, a truly powerhouse female scent, i just love to sense it on women. It reminds me not only of true Parision chic, but a touch of understated, sober female- (not girl-) power. Especially the drydown is a true olfactory treat.

31st August, 2008

chatnoir's avatar

J'Adore was my first "adult" fragrance. After spending my early twenties wandering through the wilderness of fruity body sprays, I found J'Adore. What a lot of reviewers refer to as "boring", I refer to as "dependable". J'Adore goes on J'Adore, and stays J'Adore for the rest of the day. That's no mean feat, considering my chemistry wreaks havoc on many perfumes, making them dissapear entirely in a short time. J'Adore has persistance and a refined scent that is the best of the white flower fragrances- sweet without being cloying, and approachable without feeling cheap.

21st July, 2008

TaoLady's avatar

J' adore J'Adore...and I would add "flirty" to Foetidus' "fresh, floral and fruity". It's a Spring Day in a very chic countryside and the absence of any outstanding note (although I get a lot of muguet and violet - peaches and melon) accentuates it's very balanced nature. All through it's development, for me, J' Adore is feminine and alluring. One of Calice Becker's finest!!

01st May, 2008

hubert delauney's avatar

smells good, like some tree blossoming in spring--

06 April, 2008