Reviews of J'Adore by Christian Dior

A pretty, cheery and subtle floral. Slightly sweet but shows good taste. Light, nothing heavy here. Cute, clean and fun. If lightly applied it sits close to the skin and indeed becomes a good, somewhat sexy skin scent for a woman.
12th November, 2016
I thought it would be another clean-smelling scent that doesn't stand out from a bunch of other scents from people on the streets, but it turns out that I haven't got bored of the scent after wearing it for two months! Maybe the chemistry really works well with the weather of the city I currently live in--hot and humid--and this white-floral scent makes me feel so refreshed every time I wear it. Recommend for spring and summer.
03rd July, 2016
I'm a sucker for everything jasmine-tuberose, but what made me keep this one -which I understand is the love/hate note- is the pear note, and what I love the most is the drydown.

J'adore is an amazing blend of delicate and sweet, but also vibrant and sexy soft floral, fruity, musky notes.

At first I felt the fruity note a bit sharp to the point of making my eyes itchy, but after an hour or so, the musky drydown made me fell for it.

Let me put it this way: at first, it's a glamorous post-shower clean, but then it mutates into a flapper girl with a glass of sweet summer white wine in hand, lounging by the pool.

I feel I can wear this -I acually do, as a matter of fact- with jeans+white top and I feel dressed. It's a summer scent, perfect for casual wear, night or day. Lasts about 8 hours on my skin.
08th April, 2016

Kotori Show all reviews
I don't think this is for me, because it is very popular, and very floral. However, I tried it on my skin for the first time today after years of passing it by without a thought, and there is something old-world feminine about it. There is a classic structure reminiscent of Diorella and Mitsouko, but with a brighter, more linear effect. It is sunny without being shrill. On the card, the ylang ylang and tuberose screech. On my skin, however, the fruit ripens, and I get a mezzo-soprano voice with mellow vibrato and a hint of dark edges. I think I could wear this. I understand what people say when they say it smells like shampoo, but I think that's a chicken-or-egg issue. I think J'Adore must've inspired some of the functional perfumery in the last decade and a half since its release.
22nd November, 2015
Oviatt Show all reviews
This is fine French perfumery brought up to date--feminine, sunny and chic, this is a perfect representation of the brand as it is today--a (perhaps THE) great couture house, still relevant in the current day. A fruity floral with Ylang, rose, jasmine and tuberose, lightened by aldehydes and anchored with sandalwood, this is a textbook composition done right. Does it shout for attention? Does it stand out in a crowd? No, but a woman wearing J'Adore will always be one of the best smelling women in the room. Wonderful packaging and marketing, with the beautiful Charlize Theron, sunny, chic and feminine herself, perfectly representing this lovely offering from the House of Dior.
29th October, 2015
My daughter received this as a gift from a new boyfriend. He did not know her very well because this is not for her. She thinks this scent is old lady. I don't know were that is coming from. I seen a review on this that said it smells good on paper. That hits the nail right on the head. I wanted to like this because it is so pretty and floral. It ends up just smelling waxy after a few hours on my skin.
22nd October, 2015
My wife owns this fragrance, and along with Miss Dior they are both my all time favorites. J'Adore is just so sweet and subtle. The floral notes are perfectly light. J'Adore makes me very happy when I detect it on my wife. It's light and draws me in and I always want to get close to her to smell it on her skin. A perfect fragrance for a happy marriage IMO.
12th May, 2015
Salutation.

Needless to say:J'Adore by DIOR is a Ambrosial,Eternally Stylish perfume for a Tender Femininity.Most fragrances pale in comparison With this one.Sure to get a Lot of compliments if you wear it. Romantic,Classy,Artistic,Popular, Mysterious,Original,Cheery,Fresh and Feminine.

The composition is built of a perfect harmony.The top notes Encompass a Fruity Melody of Pear,Peach,Bergamot and Melon that is simply Lovely.The Middle notes a bouquet of abstract Flowers with an Indefinable Femininity Due of Charming and Sweet Base notes.

This Scents a Breathtaking Blast of Loveliness that tells of an Exquisite Expression of a Particular Lady.Perfect for SPRING Evenings Even Winter days,when you just need a reminder of a Spring Romance.It Gives you a strange feeling of joy.I would recommend it to a Romantic Lady looking to get an fragrance for Men Attention.

Sillage?Penetrating.

Longevity?It is Truly Weird on my skin.

22nd April, 2015
This fragrance reminds me of a wedding day. Flowers everywhere and sun beaming in the church. It is floral sweet bouquet, pretty and elegant. Whenever I want to feel feminine I reach for this. Opening notes can be quite strong initially but give it a few minutes and it mellows beautifully.
21st March, 2015
J’adore is one of those modern classics we may take for granted: it’s solid, always pleasant in pretty much any circumstance, stylish yet undemanding and carefree. A soapy-fruity blend with a fresh, invigorating opening of bergamot notes and peach, then white flowers, vanilla, a silky and clean jasmine “deprived” of its earthy-indolicness, with a beautiful crystalline rose note on a mellow base of sweet sandalwood and discreet cedar. All perfectly “rounded” and made a bit more “adult” by aldehydes and darker floral notes (tuberose). A fruity-powdery scent, if you want: a bit conventional and not a “wow”, probably, but with a really pleasant and cozy fresh, golden, white-plushy sense of liveliness, this making it quite appealing also for younger audiences. Yet it is also rich, slightly shady if you pay attention, with a thin feel of something more adult and sensual floating all over. Classy and cheerful. Not memorable, probably, and not the most distinctive scent around, but not all scents have to be like that; J’adore is a timeless, perfect, carefree and “safe” scent which can make pretty much any woman (or man) smell elegant, discreetly confident, “generically” sophisticated with a hint of “urban-young” allure in pretty much any situation. One of the several mainstream scents far superior to niche floral ones which rip them off at twice the price. Recommended!

7,5-8/10
24th November, 2014
*This review pertains to the original 'parfum' version circa 2000, the earlier extrait of J'Adore is more complex, verdant & lacks the syrupy sweetness found in later re-formulations, also the florals & raw materials used are of superb quality, a beautifully blended fragrance indeed, absolutely breathtaking !

This would have to be the very best version of J'Adore available, one of Calice Beckers greatest creations. The original parfum contains both Maroc and Turkish rose, Ch.magnolia absolute, jasmine abs. (Grasse), Comoros ylang ylang & damas plum with a base of rare woods including high quality sandal and amaranth. Not as sweet as the more recent eau de parfum & toilette presentations including it's associated flankers although silage & staying power is phenomenal, projects well when used in combination with the lesser concentrations &/or a moisturizing body product (best when layered). The high quality florals are beautifully blended along with the Chinese magnolia and Cassis bud, this parfum imparts a luxurious silky feel on skin & is both a joy to apply & wear, I'm not sure if this 1999 formula is still being produced (highly unlikely), either way I would suggest searching for and stocking up if possible on this glittering gem of modern perfumery. Get it now while you still can, it's not that easily found so you may need to hunt it down, I guard my supplies zealously. . .
It is certainly worth the effort, liquid 'GOLD' !
"Bon Chance". . .
20th July, 2014
Genre: Fruity Floral

Any fruity floral scent joining a line that already includes Diorella needs to be a lot better than J’Adore to justify its existence. Calice Becker’s floral compositions sometimes take on an overly abstract, almost faceless quality. This is true to some degree of Beyond Paradise, but very much the case with J’Adore. There’s nothing particularly wrong with J’Adore’s lactonic peachy floral accord, but it never smells more than bland and sweet to me. There’s none of the crisp, cheerful green tea that enlivens Becker’s Tommy Girl, nor any of the luxurious tuberose that elevates J’Adore’s “l’Absolut” version. For me , though, the ultimate deal-breaker is a white musk drydown that’s a dead ringer for my current shampoo. (Kérastase Resistance.) I think I can live without J’Adore.

2014:
Either I've become less tolerant with age, or J'Adore's formula has been cheapened. I now find the fruity notes at J'Adore's heart unpleasantly cloying.
18th June, 2014 (last edited: 06th July, 2014)
Really wanted to love this... but all I detect is powder, powder, and... powder. It makes me want to sneeze!

Sorry, must not be for me.

Seeing the popularity of this scent, I assume it probably smells better on the people it works on than in the bottle.
16th March, 2014

Unlike Wingie, I wasn't fortunate enough to obtain a sample of the original scent, but I whole-heartedly agree that the newer J'Adore is terrible. It's an overpowering concoction of Ylang-Ylang, musk, and some foul fixative. I reserve single-star reviews for fragrances that contain the formic-acid-scented fixitives found in the cheapest of colognes and perfumes. This fragrance nearly obtained that dubious honor.
31st January, 2014
This review is for the original formulation, sold in 1999. There is a difference!

The original version, sold in 1999, is very good; a classic for its era, which was largely an era of fruity-florals. The J'Adore that is being sold in stores today is crap. Pure crap. I think the distinguishment between the two needs to be made because there are reviews of what seem to be the current version saying it smells like house cleaner, shampoo, soap, etc, which is true. J'Adore has been reformulated - more than once I believe - with detrimental results.

But the original formulation is good, one of the best fruity-florals to come out of the 1990s. It can still be found on ebay, the box shows the Christian Dior label in a purple circle instead of a gold one. It is on my wishlist as a collector's item because I know one day it will no longer be available. Samples of the older version can also be found at Surrender to Chance.

Even if you smell the current version and like it, I encourage you to seek out the original version. To me there is no point owning the current stuff when the real McCoy can still be had and is miles better.

Pros: A classic; one of the best in the fruity-floral category.
Cons: The original formula can only be found today on ebay."

23rd August, 2013
It's a pleasant fragrance, it really is, but there is nothing really interesting about it. It smells like shampoo, to me. And I like the way most shampoo smells, so I'm not saying it's off-putting, there's just nothing particularly unique about it.

It's one of those fragrances that I would have a hard time pointing out if I came across someone wearing it. I get as far as "that smells nice", but I can't pinpoint anything specific or particular about it that makes me go "oh, yeah, that's J'Adore"

That said, it is clean, inoffensive, easy to wear, feminine and "pretty". Probably great for women out there who aren't particularly interested in fragrances beyond wanting to smell good and inoffensive. But to someone who's smelled a lot of fragrances, this is dull, uninspired and common.
06th January, 2013
I know I am in the minority here, but I think this stinks. If you like "clean" fragrances this is for you, because to me it smells like something you would clean your house with.
02nd September, 2012
it is for young women i think. it is really innocent and lovely .it is clean and sweet and shy.i really rocemmend this perfume .but i can't say it is for me now.i am seeking something that is more ambitious and brave. i used to have this but i don't want to have this any more.
04th July, 2012
Three notes listed on dior.com- ylang ylang, damask rose and jasmine sambac.
Well ,we all know there is much more to J'Adore than those three notes. What about the champaca ?? I find it interesting that on the Dior website, their olfactory notes section doesn't tell us more than three notes for each scent.
Dear Dior.com People, do you think that we ,the general public , are unable to process the idea of more than three notes at a time ???

Personally I dislike that elongated bottle neck a lot . Personally, I don't know how J'Adore stays so popular as to be No 1 on the bestseller lists.
Be prepared for negativity in this little review /sampling note . Apologies to all who love this scent. Believe me, my life would be much simpler and my wallet fatter, if I also loved this scent more than others !

Today I was obsessed with re sniffing J'Adore. I don't know how The Fragrance Demons attack me in the night that I awake with such a desire to re sniff something I already know, I am not very fond of to begin with ! Off to Cow Town Mall I went.
J'Adore EDP is beautiful to begin with . There is a classical glow at first with such a blend of jasmine , rose and ylang ylang that I get this peachiness. It's like 'diffusive silk' . I love my peach so this was good smelling so far. J'Adore at this point is pretty and swoon worthy . It does seem to present some kind of olfactory picture of " Gold" . I thought to myself " I don't remember J'Adore smelling this romantic and gorgeous. "

Fast forward to the drydown . This is where my problem with J'Adore occurs. I come across this nose WALL block - perhaps it's the fruity blackberry ,perhaps violets and musk combo that really is awful on me. It's like wet cardboard - dank ,screechy ,artificial and this is the character smell of J'Adore I always associate with it. Too bad. The opening of J'Adore is gorgeous and the drydown is like some schizoid character on my skin. That schizoid character just loves to hang around . Hours later and I am smelling seriously of cardboard. it sits right here on my arm and firmly in my poor nose.
It could be worse, J'Adore Eau de Cardboard could've given me a migraine but it doesn't. For this, it gets ' un point '.

If I had not waited till the dry down and bought J'Adore on the spot based on that silky waft of peachy-rose-jasmine , I would have been upset .That wall block of offensiveness at the dry down - such a chemical spill on my skin - would have made me take my purchase right back to Cow Town Mall for my refund.
10th June, 2012
A clean mildly soapy floral. J'ADORE is not particularly interesting but it is rather well made. And I cannot deny its delicately feminine girl-next-door charms. I think it makes a perfectly versatile fragrance for long summer days.
27th March, 2012
No matter how many other perfumes I fall in love with, I never fall out of love with J'Adore. It is just overwhelmingly feminine and beautiful. I think it's the only fragrance which I still love in spite of the fact so many others wear it. It is the essence of summer time, yet it suits all seasons. In my opinion it is the most elegant of scents, not trying to be anything it isn't, just a perfect formulation of jasmine and rose, and it will always have a welcome place in my boudoir!
16th March, 2012
Peach, rose, soap, safe. Saying anything unpleasant about this scent feels like shouting at a teddy bear - who could be so mean? However, the image of nice mummies having lunch while the washing machine spins in the background springs to mind. I find this a cloying scent lying over fresh laundered clothes. Thousands like it, but its just not for me.
04th February, 2012
I really want to like this. It's fine on paper, the notes should work really well together, and I love this type of fragrance in general. But when it hits my skin nothing happens. It smells the same throughout, from top to base. The plum gets sticky sweet on my skin, and there is nothing there to balance it out. Maybe its just chemistry.

It's still pleasant enough, but dull, so dull.
Everyday wear for someone else, not for me.
04th January, 2012
Male perspective: This is by far the best perfume that I ever smelled.
20th December, 2011
The J'Adore dry down, with its rosey and slightly fruity-soapy multifaceted floral wake, is a sort of veritable redemption for a scent that starts somewhat uninteresting with a watery (almost aquatic) orangy-irony laundry feel (aroused by citrus and ylang-ylang in a way that evokes, with its angular trait, the intense lily of the valley presence on the side of citrus) and evolves towards a middle phase that is deeply floral due to a valzer of rose, jasmine and tuberose. The juice is fresh and joyful, sensual and dynamic, dry and changeful. The musky vanilla of the base is delicate and well balanced in order to introduce a touch of smoothness and to amalgamate the complexity of the floral notes. Nothing  bad with this renowned juice but it's simply not the kind of fragrance i rave for.
16th December, 2011 (last edited: 24th November, 2014)
Charming, infinitely feminine and very floral and clean smelling. I have such mixed feelings for this perfume as it is the one my best friend wore for years and years and I would buy it for her birthday - she passed away so tragically and suddenly last winter that (I feel so emotional just writing this much) now that I have her used bottles that she left behind, the ones I gave to her, every time I smell it I am overcome with longing for my friend to still be here.

I will buy a purse sized J'Adore to remind me of her always. It was never the scent for me, I am definitely more of a Hypnotic Poison gal but an occasional dab will help keep my precious Cherylee forever alive to me.

27th September, 2011
Well, now. I've worn J'Adore EDP for a few years now, but I have only recently begun to expand my understanding of fragrance. I really wish the notes were listed for this, because I'm sure my ignorant nose will miss all the good stuff!

I like the opening with fresh, white flowers and bit of soap. The middle came on as quite soapy and I don't like it quite as well. The dry down though... that I love. A little musk with some floral and hint of fresh baked cookie.

The sillage has been perfect, so far. I've only had it on for three hours now. We'll see how the longevity goes.

My new education tells me I still like this, but I wish the middle was less soapy.
07th September, 2011
I'm so sad others don't feel the same way as me about J'Adore. I "adore" this fragrance - every time I smell, either the top, heart or base notes I am charmed by its elegance.

Its sillage is excellent, the basenotes are delicious and it just radiates femininity to me. I feel a million dollars wearing it. The way it develops on my skin is just perfect.

It's one of my next to purchase!
20th June, 2011
I really loved this when I sprayed it on the card but when I finally tried it on my skin I got the same gross soap undertone the person below me said. EWWW
14th June, 2011
Abrasive top notes dry down to Dial soap scent on me. My friends have all remarked that "it's not bad, but smells like cheap perfume." On someone with different chemistry it may be wonderful. I detect no fruit in the fragrance at all.
20th May, 2011