Reviews of Dior Addict by Christian Dior

Find out more about Dior Addict by Christian Dior in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Oriental

Dior Addict’s coconut cream and floral top notes may be blatantly synthetic and crassly “foody,” but I can’t help liking them. The white flower-infused vanilla pudding that follows is no less crude, but I’m ashamed to admit that I like that, too. I guess I’ve always been outrageously gauche in my tastes, but my responses to Dior Addict drive the point home. (Burps, grunts, scratches his groin…)

In composing Addict Thierry Wasser has executed the same brilliant gambit that Olivier Cresp did a decade earlier in Angel; pushing an intensely sweet floral/gourmand composition through the looking glass of vulgarity and into a realm of alternate dimension beauty. While the two fragrances smell nothing alike, the trick works just as well for Dior as it did for Mugler. Addict may smell dumb but beautiful, and it’s easily as loud as an Airbus on the runway, but examine it with care and you’ll find a very clever and subtly executed construct.

12 June, 2014

montagne's avatar

I bought this for my wife at an airport duty-free, after exhausting all the other possibilities. By this time, my nose was tired. Assistants were chasing me around with a dish of coffee beans. Others were spraying foul ozone/calone concoctions on my lapel. I was clutching a handful of un-labelled test strips, and had forgotten which was which.

I was also discombobulated by the silly aggregation of flankers either side of Addict. Or, if not actually discombobulated, as Wodehouse might have said, I was far from bobulated.

Addict this, Addict that, Addict the other. Indecypherable labelling. Impenetrable packaging.

So, I bought the wrong thing.

Linear vanilla, of the Walls Ice Cream variety. Not enveloping, or awakening. Insignificant white flowers. No skeleton, no structure, on which to hang the accents, which are in any case absent.

My wife believes that I adore this fragrance on her. Hell, I bought it for her. I don't want her to think it was an ill-executed afterthought.

It truth, however, it neither adds nor subtracts from her allure. It is innocuous.

05 February, 2014

Captain's avatar

At first it's a huge sugary berry bomb, it's my least favourite phase but then within an hour it's dried down to a no less sweet warm vanilla, berries dusted with powdered sugar and jasmine. Less jasmine as time goes on and the last phase lasts a long time. This is quality perfume.

It's sweet, creamy and luxe, I love it! Reminds me of so many fruity celebrity perfumes but this isn't too fruity or unbalanced and it has wonderful longevity. Dior Addict is worth the price!

06 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 24 March, 2014)

Darvant's avatar

Such type of fragrance i always like to smell around and to inebriate me with but that never would dare to purchase or to bring as a gift to my beloved one. Dior Addict is delicious and almost edible (yes sultry, carnal, may be erotic) but is finally "amorphous", inoffensive and "deliciously banal", something lacking luxuriousness, real class, full texture and eventually naughtiness (or mysteriousness), something finally linear and monolithic, an aroma you would like to smell over your pillow before to sleep (or over your wool sweater in the course of a lonely cozy evening at home while outside a storm is in a full swing) but that i would never see as ideal over my woman along a special evening at a gala or at theater (in order she to let a femme fatal image) nor as a casual choice along an ordinary day. It starts with a blast of "scattered" and slightly humid fruity/floral elements (citrus, mostly mandarine, blackcurrant and rose ) and ends with an "unsyrupy" but "moderately sweet" and pleasant amber/tobacco-vanille and powdery sandalwood. Creamy, vanillic, white and with a subtle and rounded tobacco vein. A more than decent concoction, confortable, balanced, never cloying, synthetic in a tollerable way but nothing revolutionary or gorgeous. Good projection and durability over my skin.

08 November, 2013

Brooke's avatar

First wore this when a sample was given to me. Liked it, used it.
    Just around the time the sample was almost gone, I found myself looking for more, wanting more, and no other perfume seemed to fill the void. I ended up giving in and purchasing a large bottle. Later on, I found myself buying a smaller bottle for travel. While I am far from being "addicted", I often find myself craving the indescribable warmth and all-encompassing aura that only Addict seems to evoke for me.
    I love wearing it for an evening out, and find it has the same effect as diamonds. Great with (faux) fur! As a woman in her early 30s it strikes me as seriously mature and devilishly young at the same time. Lasts a long time and leaves beautiful fragrance memories in garments worn.
    Far from cheap, I find this fragrance gives off an instant richness and classiness, a feeling of opulent elegance and citrusy refinement, notes that impress you and imply a certain level of status, right before you find yourself melting into an unrivalled smokey warmth, with such blatant sexual overtones you soon become aware that you are in overt seduction territory, and yet the balance is one of "sophisticated dirtiness" - the tonka/vanilla and spiciness arouse an almost spiritual vibe, not exactly mysterious - but deep and warm and dark and cozy. Too comforting to be dangerous, yet too dangerous to be comforting. This fragrance is captivating, and simply beautiful. Pairs well with cold weather, evening outings, elegant attire, and deserving romances.

22 March, 2013

jeanbean7777's avatar

Amazing scent. LOVE this one. Dark, gothic and bewitching beautiful night perfume. The drydown is like visiting heaven. Stays on my skin 18 hours. Vanilla and white flowers dance together seductively. There is a synthetic type smell in the flowers called queen of the night flower and silk flower. Very different, sexy and beautiful. Only 2 sprays or you will ruin its effect. You have to try this on your skin because it doesnt work for most. Thank god it works for me cuz its the best smell in the perfume store. 10/10

12 March, 2013

androidi's avatar

Finland Finland

The opening is flowery in a slightly bitter way. Vanilla is the dominant note almost from the beginning and combined with sandalwood and tonka, the overall impression is very warm. The drydown is soft and somewhat similar to Hypnotic Poison but lighter and more pleasant to my nose. There's also something in the combination of floral notes and vanilla that reminds me of 5.40 pm in Madagascar by Kenzo.

The 2012 reformulation is different but even with a side-by-side comparison it's difficult for me to describe how exactly. It seems somewhat more stingy. However, in both versions the scent of the sillage is stingier than what can be smelled when pressing the nose directly on the skin.

At first I was pleasantly surprised about Addict but after sampling it several times I don't find it appealing anymore.

12 February, 2013

antiqueRose's avatar

I love this, its like dark blue velvet in a bottle, so the bottle is the right colour for the juice. To me iit is pure class, almost inestimable...vanilla, tonka and jasmine. Startling, unusual, gothic

23 November, 2012

Scent-imental's avatar

I bought this blind, sure i would love it. I keep trying to wear it, and i find it strange, because the opening is nice and sweet and warm, as a whole, but then i get this jarring note that stands out, and stays sticking out, amidst a lovely warm drydown. Mostly, i like anything with vanilla, i thought i loved gourmands, but i just can't stand the jarring floral note, that sticks out in the middle, all angular and annoying. I think it must be jasmine, and i have seen ylang ylang mentioned as being included on one site, which would explain my dislike. I can get away with jasmine sometimes, if it's included in a gentle, light, and not heavy way, maybe lifted by something brighter - don't know enough about all the varieties to be able to discuss it with any knowledge, but to have ylang, and a discordant jangling sharp jasmine in the same fragrance is too much heavy floral for me, i just hate their heavy, waxy, cloying clinginess, they drape around you, some might say seductively, i would say parasitically. It stays there, glaring at me, the entire time i wear it, and doesn't go away, like all horrible smells.

For me, it spoils what might have been a lovely scent, warm and cosy, sexy and cuddly all at once. Except for those horrible flowers. I feel very glad to have finally admitted how i really feel about this. I was pretending i liked it, to avoid being annoyed with myself at wasting money on a blind buy that i don't like.

I am getting rid of you Dior Addict

07 September, 2012

Jaenine's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

I really wanted to like Dior Addict, but on my skin there is a sharp (white?) floral top note that just gives me a headache. Unfortunately, it doesn't disappear when the lovely, smoky, vanilla scents start to appear. Sadly, this is not one for me.

29 December, 2011

electric33's avatar

Dior Addict is my favorite fragrance. I love it. I wish I had found Addict years ago.

25 October, 2011

fazilicious's avatar

i am a straight guy but cant get enough of it..lucky that the seller agreed to substitute it for dune female version on my request ...the way i would describe addict, you take a little bit of lipstick, mix it with chocolate and pour it all over yourself , getting curious now :)

18 October, 2011

jtd's avatar

Dior Addict starts as a dessert-like floriental of the contemporary school. Its initial tone is expansive but heavy, but it winds up an interestingly monochromatic oriental where vanilla and tonka cancel each other out and give a loud, beige tone.

I don’t understand Addict, but it’s a bit of a guilty pleasure that I spray on in department stores. Believe me, I ask myself each time, “Why on earth am I doing this?” Every bit of me tells me I should hate this. I guess I enjoy chasing that shouldn’t-but-do experience. Reminds me I can still be surprised and that the notion of good taste is often nothing compared to trashy fun.

19 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 August, 2011)

LadyDragonFire's avatar

There is definitely something in this fragrance that I really like. On me, it comes across as a sweet and spicy gourmand scent that makes me think of sticky vanilla pudding or a vanilla scented candle. It's very pleasant, and I would definitely buy a candle in this fragrance if they made one. However, I feel like it might also be a little too heavy and sweet for normal every day wear, so I probably wouldn't wear it all that much if I bought it. However, aside from that there's not much to dislike. Probably most people who are fans of vanilla and gourmand fragrances will enjoy this one.

18 August, 2011

teardrop's avatar

England England

"Wickedly delicious", indeed! This is a big, gorgeous wallop of rich, smokey vanilla & amber, kind of like the drydown of Obsession without those overwhelmingly spicy top notes. lt's dark & sexy, yet comforting, with fantastic projection & longevity. l tried this at the airport before a 4-hour flight, & was more than a little concerned that it might be bothering my fellow passengers. Just one spray created huge sillage, & was still going strong long after we landed! For me this would be a perfect winter scent, & not for enclosed spaces. l would seriously consider a bottle of this...

05 July, 2011

subhuman85's avatar

Terrifically trashy jasmine/vanilla bomb, projected through a haze of smoke, wood, amber, and noise. Guerlain's Shalimar with her wrinkles Botoxed and her eyebrows tweezed, her hair Elnetted to within an inch of its life, and half a cigarette dangling from her mouth as she picks out her skimpiest outfit to wear to the club. Dior Addict - as in, a woman hooked on Dior products, not an addict of the "Intervention" sort, Dior is quick to clarify - is brutally effective in its mission of seduction. Sweet and slightly narcotic, vulgar with just enough false-lashes-and-pearls glamour to resist immediate dismissal, full of enjoyably crude charm (that creamy/plasticky, dialed-up-to-11 jasmine note would never have found its way into a '20s-era Guerlain), and with a winkingly retro "don't wear it around your parents" vibe that's anaethema to today's squeaky-clean perfume paradigm. A good deal less respectable than its classic oriental forebears, but arguably more fun. And if (like many) you're unconvinced of Dior Addict's quality, some food for thought: Its creator is Thierry Wasser, one of the best noses in the business and currently the in-house perfumer for...wait for it...Guerlain. (More food: Its smoky vanilla/musk drydown bears more than a passing resemblance to that of Le Labo's vaunted Patchouli 24. Stick that in your holder and smoke it, niche snobs.) Bonus: Projection and lasting power that border on the unholy. Who says you can't get bang for your buck anymore?

28 June, 2011

blood-orange's avatar

Oh, this is delicious! It's a pity that I didn't find this fragrance sooner.

Like Hypnotic Poison, Dior Addict is a rather potent yet sexy vanilla blend. It's hard not to like such a richly unique and complex scent.

Dior Addict opens with a sultry and smokey vanilla. The blackberry and mandarin leaf notes only compliment the vanilla, they never overpower.

I find this fragrance to have an almost animalistic quality. The scent is sweet, but not sugary sweet, just pleasantly so. I love that this fragrance is dark and mysterious, it's something that would suit a woman in power perhaps even a femme fatal.

The lasting power is amazing and the sillage quite strong. I probably wouldn't wear this as a casual Spring/Summer scent because it just doesn't seem to fit into that category. By all means wear this as a night fragrance or even as a nice, unusual choice for the chilly weather.

05 June, 2011

hagertygal's avatar

WOW! I gave this a good two sprays while I was out and abuout at the mall. Probably not a good idea for TWO sprays, since one would have been good enough for the day. I sprayed a few more scents, trying to keep them apart from eachother, on different hands and arms. Even sprayed one scent on my pocketbook. Well, after ten minutes, I couldn't smell a darn thing anymore, so I left the store. I kept smelling each wrist/arm etc... to see if anything caught my interest. A few stores later, I was nearly embarassed to say that I got this BLAST of scent from (somewhere) on me, and thought, "Oh God, floks must hate me right now." But I loved it, and tried desperately to figure out which scent it was. Well, it turned out to be addict!
    Yes, at first I did get some sort of strange plastic smell. But now, nearly three hours later, I smell this wonderful, intoxicating boozy spiced vanilla. Yum, it is pure heaven. And it lasts! I am a bit disappointed in the high cost of this juice, but given it's strength and longevity, I think I'll invest. Actually, I am going to use my eBay bucks and discover cashback bonus to get three bottles of this stuff. My husband absolutely loves it!

28 March, 2011

ravenlore's avatar

a previous reviewer stated, "...dirty in the best way. I understand that it may be vulgar, and whatevs."

And that person is exactly right. Addict is like dark dirty sex in a bottle and I LOVE it.

I've noticed that this scent gets a lot of hate here, and i don't get it at all. That may be due to my unconventional tastes in...everything, really.

I'm not a fragrance connoisseur, so i cannot speak to the more technical aspects of notes and drydown. I can only say that for a thirtysomething goth chick, Dior's Addict is a wickedly delicious fragrance.

26 March, 2011

rtgiggles's avatar

I smelled the bottle, the card and loved it. Bought it and put some on. I couldn't help but think what the heck is that smell.... I stink!!!!! Sweet, strange... not in a good way and my sweater later didn't smell right. I gave this away. Smelled good in the bottle but not on me. I guess I have a difficult body chemistry to wear parfumes. I can see how people either love this or hate this one.

23 February, 2011

Genge's avatar

I wanted to like this. I was looking for something richer and darker than the flowery/flowery orientals I usually wear (think Chance, Coco Mademoiselle) and I certainly got what I was looking for. It opens like a sledgehammer, with no clear notes to grab on to and settles into a creamy vanilla, rich and heady. However, it's not the one for me. It seems to fight with my natural smell instead of complement it and it's way too overpowering.

15 February, 2011

purplebird7's avatar

On the skin, it is fabulous. For years, I refused to try it because it had a repulsive synthetic note on paper. Today I sprayed my hand, and it bloomed into a powdery vanilla with a sharp sweetness. After awhile, underlying caramel and creme notes emerge. At its drydown, it smells like a big bowl of warm tapioca. Addict has a live, fleshy quality, like the scent of fresh milk. I don't get any dangerous, drug or sex addiction vibes from this perfume. It's pure comfort.

08 February, 2011

babsbendix's avatar

A few years ago I went into a dressing room at Bloomingdale's just as a beautiful, elegant Persian woman was walking out. The almost burned, sweet resin-y smell she left in her wake stunned me, and I wondered what the heck her perfume was, or if she'd been smoking something illicit. I described it to a friend who loves this sort of scent, and she told me it sounded like Addict. Checked it out at Sephora, and yep, it was. When I wear it I get in the opening the same green something or other that I liked about Dune, and the drydown is RIDICULOUS and dirty in the best way. I understand that it may be vulgar, and whatevs.

06 July, 2010

Aphrodisiac's avatar

I had this fragrance forced on me not long after it came out. I was in a cigar lounge and a woman in her 40s or 50s had just bought a bottle and was raving about it and was spraying it everywhere insisted my friend and I try it. Well I don't know if it was the cigar I was smoking that contributed but one whiff of the "fragrance", and I was instantly nauseas and literally ran to the ladies to puke my guts up. I felt like I had been hit by a bus, like I had the worst hangover. I had a head-ache for the rest of the night. It was the most vile, pungent smelling offensive odour! I can't believe how much she liked it!!! I have never been so repulsed by a fragrance.

03 May, 2010

Jiffysquidd's avatar

Addict by Dior! I have yet to smell it due to the horrific ad campaign from it's launch. With incredibly poor taste (our city has a major heroin problem), the biggest downtown department store had giant "Addict" banners all over the windows with the gaunt, weird looking models. Right in front of those windows were real addicts, sleeping, sparechanging, doing their addict things. I understand that Dior marketing was probably not intending to imply that their perfume would make you into a more glamorous junkie, but that's sure what it looked like!

22 March, 2010

maiglöckchen's avatar

Germany Germany

The perfume I grab for during Lenten season. Saves yourself all sweets and cookies.
    A neutral for the fact that I never grab for it the rest of the year.

27 February, 2010

w3pearl's avatar

I think it's a very weird perfume, everything "happens" around vanilla bourbon, all choked in a salty-incensy-bit fruity SMOKE. Therefore, burnt stuff.

I wouldn't say it's too strong. It goes forte during the top notes, than it fades surprisingly fast.

It's not even vulgar, so I could understand it's succes as a disco perfume or as a vampy ladies perfume. No, this perfume really has nothing going on.

Not even the smell itself, it's not unique. Doesn't stink, it smells ok, but it has no personality at all.

Sory. Neutral rating for this.

08 February, 2010

truelateral's avatar

Certainly sweet, but I don't think I smell like a blancmange when wearing it... there's enough warm spiciness to make Addict upliftingly pleasant. One of my friends had to sit next to me through all of a movie when I had possibly overdosed a leetle on the Addict, but far from passing out in a diabetic coma, he found it warmly attractive, if overpowering. The overpowering thing had more to do with my dosage than the quality of the perfume though.

Comforting spicy vanilla. Perhaps a spray of this might help a carb addict stop themselves from reaching for the biscuits.

05 January, 2010

imogen's avatar

Dior Addict is very sexy, if I could compare it to a fabric, it would be velvet, purple, or dark red, soft, sensual velvet. That's what this perfume seems like to me, it envelopes you in this aura of mystery and sensuality.
    I get a lot of mandarin leaves in it at the beginning, the key word is not mandarin (citrus), but leaves, and something else that I can not identify, almost like a muddy smell, but in a good way. Vanilla is not overly sweet on me, but rather dry, not edible or gourmand type, not like Hypnotic Poison but just right to soften up the unusual top notes.
    I must be the only person on earth who is not in love with Hypnotic Poison, but I do like Addict. It's a strange scent, but I love it. It makes me feel very classy. I know that a lot of people consider Addict trashy and cheap, may be because of the ads, but I guess, it all depends on your chemistry. I do not pull sweet vanilla out of it, like many do, and I think that's the trick.
    I would not compare it with Rush, Rush smells very plastic-y, sweet on me, and this one does not. Worth a try.

24 July, 2009

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

There are scents that one wears and get strong sensual wafts of all day. Addict EDP is one of those scents, and after several full wearings the experience for me has always been pleasant. Addict makes me glad i love fragrances, mainly for what they are and not just for adornment or compliments.

I will not go into any analysis of the various stages/notes of this fragrance. Enough has been well very done by previous reviewers. However, ladies and gents, i may be wrong, but Addict is Alexander McQueen's Kingdom plus strong vanilla. The "sickening", "nauseating", "repugnant" ingredient (or conglomerate of ingredients) seems to be the same that makes Kingdom what it is infamous for. The strongly animalic vibe in Addict EDP is what excites me and saves the scent from being, errrr...., plain vanilla.

Uduandibeme cannot imagine a man pulling Addict off. Addict is one of my favourites and i usually forget it is targeted towards women. I am so glad i have an easily available alternative to my Muscs Khoublai Khan for when the mood hits me.

Addict is a fine, sensual fragrance.

11th July, 2009