Negative Reviews of Happy by Clinique

Find out more about Happy by Clinique in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

howiwondrwhatur's avatar

First reaction was.... ok, quite bright. As grapefruit juice is my go to beverage, I gave it a little space where I accepted that tanginess along with the bergamot. Next, it hit me, this is really way too sweet. It seemed to be practically burning my nose. And minutes after that, the plastic/burnt rubber hit me with a vengeance and it was literally all I could smell of Happy. Nothing in my memory banks could make that odor a "happy" smell. I don't know how or why that awful plasticyness is there, but suddenly I couldn't wash or scrub it off fast enough. I was using a sample from a Sephora Sample box, and it was my last fragrance to sample, and the only one that struck me as so stridently sweet and awful that I had to get it off my skin. That said, I think that used very, very lightly, it might be ok, and maybe I just needed to give it time. But it will be awhile before I let us be re-introduced. I need to forget how bad things went the first time around. ;-)

02 January, 2012

resaur's avatar

Terrible scent! It smells so fake and synthetic. I use the word "synthetic" a lot for my perfume reviews, but oh man, this one is the king of all that is synthetic. It's like medicine and plastic. It smells bad. This one makes me want to run the opposite direction.. THAT BAD.

18 March, 2010

Carrie's avatar

I find it difficult to get happy about this fragrance. For all its sickly sweetness, it's just plain boring. I find it's the kind of fragrance that doesn't have an identity of its own; a generic blend of sickly sweet floral and even sweeter citrus. It reminds me of alcopops and the binge drinking-induced morning hangover. Should have a teenage age limit.

05 November, 2009

arabesque's avatar

My mom got a free bottle of this when I was a kid and she gave it to me. I was 10 or 11 years old. I wore it because it was perfume, not because it smelled wonderful. I agree with kmfdm10392, it does smell like a latex balloon, which I find to be a bad thing. I developed an aversion to the perfume after owning a bottle for a couple of years. Synthetic, unpleasant and plastic.... seems almost carcinogenic.

27 October, 2009

laral28's avatar

Honestly this scent is for the young. I owned it when it first came out and loved it. Now it gives me a headache and makes me nauseous. It is just too sweet.

25 July, 2009

tsar_perknip's avatar

I don't know what happened. I had several small samples of Happy — which I wore when I got married and all throughout my honeymoon, and I adored it. When the sample-sized bottles ran out, I took the plunge and bought a bottle.

It smells... like hair spray. Cheap, alcoholic, hair spray, like the smell of a girls' gym locker room during the the big hair of the late 1980s. I cant imagine it changed between the samples and the bottle, so I'm guessing it was me who changed.

08 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2011)

Cute_cute_baby's avatar

Vietnam Vietnam

The only perfume spray I own and the least I'd wear. Can not stand it (yeah I wonder why I bought it, ekkk).
    It smells too strong, harsh and heady. Can't smell anything citrus in it, it's all about floral, very floral, not in a sweet way though.
    I totally don't feel happy while wearing it.

25 February, 2009 (Last Edited: 07 October, 2009)

mis.anderson's avatar

This is the most boring fragrance I know (so far). Stupid name, stupid bottle and stupid font. When I was in sixth grade, this was THE popular fragrance for all us little girls, and of course, not having developed my own tastes, or apparently any taste at all, I had to have Clinique Happy, or as the bottle calls it "cliniquehappy." I guess it's always a warning sign when the fragrance's own makers don't even bother themselves over capitalization, punctuation and spacing.

Anyway, about the smell: it has a weird way of forcefully ramming its most screechy and vile notes up inside my nasal cavities.

10th October, 2008

JennieJenJamz's avatar

Wow! This is some strong stuff! It smells fun and sparkly in the bottle, hence the name Happy. I get it, until I put it on! Whew! It stinks of cheap and sharp chemicals! Too brash and way too strong! This isn't shy at all! In fact, it's loud and in your face. It screams, "Notice me!" And we all do, believe me, we do! It's also sour smelling at the end and so, I just was not happy at all. Not at all.

20th April, 2008

TDDanae's avatar

Sour Fruit. A friend raved about it so I have tried to like it and get the smile she gets with it, but no, just sour fruit. I think some young women would like this for it is pleasant if you like sour fruit. I even thought that maybe it might make me a little happy, but no, got a sour attitude.

03 October, 2006

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

I didn't know the actual notes to this one when I tried it. On my skin it smelled like black licorice & gardenia. Not a good combo in my opinion. It's funny the scents I hate are very long lasting it seems. I've yet to find a Clinique except for Happy Heart that works for me.

29 November, 2005