Positive Reviews of Happy by Clinique

This is a really nice, pleasant, light, clean, fresh and airy scent. My favorite thing about it is probably the delicious, tangy, juicy citrus notes that I can smell when I first spray this perfume on. That scent really and truly does lift my spirits if I'm feeling slightly down. Today is actually a very cold, grey, wet and dreary fall day, and I just spritzed some of this scent on, and it immediately picked me up, and inspired me to write a nice, glowing review! :) So, yes, I would say this fragrance really does live up to it's name, and will probably make you feel happy while you are wearing it too!
Also, although the citrus top notes probably are my favorite part of this scent, I have to say that I also definitely love the watery-sweet floral heart and base notes that mainly make up this fragrance as it dries down. Overall, it is just a very delicate, sparkling, bright feminine fruity-floral that makes you feel good. It's great for everyday wear and every possible occasion as it is never a strong or overpowering fragrance, and I would say it's also very appropriate to wear to a restaurant, as it's very compatible with food and wine, and doesn't overpower other smells.
28th October, 2015
rbaker Show all reviews
Initially I was greeted by an unpleasant acidic blast, reminding me of an old white wine that has turned into vinegar. This lasted a few minutes, whereupon a nice grapefruit developed. In the drydown a delightful exotic floral note arose that after a while was mainly mornig-dew and orchid-based. Then a lily note took over, paired with a gorgeous and rich magnolia of impressive beauty. After the first few hours the base notes merged to a beautiful honey aroma, a real twist that remained as the core impression of the second half. Silage and projection are good, and on my skin I get a longevity of about six hours. Once the initial shock was over, this turned into a well-blended treat that would go well on a warm spring evening. My small bottle was about ten years old but hitherto only rarely touched. That might change. 4.25/5
05th December, 2013
I used to be very perplexed by this perfume, but after reading some of the reviews here, the mystery is solved--

--sometimes when I wore this scent, it smelled so delightful, so light and citrusy and wonderful, that it almost made me float away--

--and then at other times when I wore this scent, it smelled like straight-up rubbing alcohol, or turpentine. Hideous.

It was very confusing.

Now, thanks to you other reviewers, I understand: this perfume has a short shelf life. My bottle abruptly died on me, just smelled BAD, and then when I bought a new bottle to replace it, it was almost as awful. So I gave up on it.

But when it's new, it is the loveliest, HAPPIEST scent I've ever smelled.

I used to spray a squirt or two of this inside my sweatshirt while I was wearing it and just breathe in deep to get a lift, a jolt of sunshine.

This perfume really did make me happy.

And now, when I try a fresh bottle that doesn't stink of alcohol, the joy comes back.

Citrusy, light, bright. I love it.
10th December, 2012

As a fan of both white florals and citrus Happy is a 'thumbs up' for me. I have a small sample bottle given as part a a Clinique bonus set. Mine still smells good so I seem to have escaped the problem of the bottles going "off" as some have described (please store your fragrances in dark, cool places!). Would I buy a bottle of Happy? Maybe.

On me, Happy is linear and uncomplicated. Some days, that's all I'm looking for. Most of my other fragrances have much deeper base notes. I wear my sample of Happy when I am looking for a little divergence from my pattern. I still get the citrus and white floral notes without the patcholli, sandalwood, amber or benzoin. However...without those stronger base notes Happy doesn't last nearly as long as my other citrus/floral regulars. So I have to pack the sample in my purse and reapply mid-day.

I wear Happy on days that I am looking for that "fresh out of the shower" clean citrus smell for a few hours. If I want the scent to last I must reapply, otherwise Happy seems to just float away...
12th May, 2012
I feel the need to defend Happy's honor. Not because it is the ultimate powerhouse of all women's fragrances--it is far from it. I need to do so because it is a fragrance that defined Generation-X girls as women who did not need to let their fragrance define them nor let their fragrance announce their presence as our mothers' fragrances did in pre-Happy years.

I do not want to imply that Happy led a revolution of "passive" scents. However, ask any thirty-something woman today what fragrance was prominent in her perfume cache and she will most likely confess Happy was not only in her collection, it was the one used most often. I call it "passive" because most scents that predated Happy were strong "power" scents (see Red Door, Safari, or Red by Giorgio). They were not bad scents but it was time for a change and Happy led the charge along with Sunflowers.

Maybe my age gives me away but it does not smell dated to me. I grew tired of it by the time I was twenty-five. I have rediscovered Happy (and all of its sibling scents) recently and fallen in love all over again.

It smells simplistic--like a white-floral-tinged glass of Sunny Delight--but it was borne out of a need for scented simplicity. Admirably, though, for such a simple scent it is very distinctive. Happy cannot be confused for any other scent but it is often apparent that many post-Happy fragrances were inspired by it.

Not bad for the Gen-X slacker of fragrances.
10th December, 2011
I can't believe the negative feedback on this perfume,i have tried a lot of perfumes but this one for me is the best i ger so many compliments on it and i feel good when i wear it.I guess a lot of people feel this perfume might be out of their comfort zone,i myself am bored with all the new fragrances that are out there and the boring norm of vanilla based perfumes.I am over thirty five and can't resist this wonderful perfume,it's a pick me up for sure.
11th September, 2010
I love Happy by Clinique because it is instantly wearable. The notes are unduly pretentious in description though ! ( I have edited this because I do not know HOW I could have thought this is anything like Gucci By Gucci in the brown bottle. ! )
This is simply a citrus floral with great lasting power.
It's light hearted, summery and a good every day scent when you cannot think of what else to wear. I wish the bottle were more attractive and I do not like the name 'Happy' - it's a name for a pet dog ,rabbit, hamster, gerbil or something cute, one of the seven dwarves or something furry and non vicious .
So not the height of sophistication but still a pretty scent.
20th June, 2010 (last edited: 25th January, 2011)
Every time I wear this I get the faintest hint of the smell of a child's latex balloon. I have no idea where that comes from, or why I like it so much. But I do. As with most fragrances geared towards women, I really have to watch the atomizer, as a little of this goes a VERY long way.
17th July, 2009
Tony T Show all reviews
safe fresh i just washed my hair and i feel casual with a sexual feel and appeal the same realmas cool water and a definate safe pick.
27th April, 2009
First off, let me say on an "off note" just how much I loved the original ad campaign with Judy Garland singing "C'mon Get Happy" in the background.

That said, on to the fragrance itself. :)

Delicious white florals and grapefruit here -- almost effervescent. This is the kind of thing I could imagine on a young Audrey Hepburn: sparkling, fun, crisp and never cloying.

Many hate this one because it was among the first in a long line of "fresh" women's frags in the Nineties. But don't shoot Happy down simply because inferior clones came behind it. Revere it instead for the lovely scent that it is.
16th January, 2009
Tovah Show all reviews
I like it a lot. I wore it on my wedding day, (it was brand new back then, so no one was sick of it yet). Happy is energetic, sparkling, fresh, and pleasant. Often I find myself complimenting others on their fragrance, which I find out is Happy. It smells quite different on others. My skin brings out the wood notes, but I smell the citrus notes on lots of other wearers. As long as it's not overapplied, Happy is perfect for any environment.
06th August, 2008
One of the few perfumes that actually smells like its name, I first came across Happy as a college student but rebelled against it during its prime. Everyone was wearing either this scent or Elizabeth Arden's Sunflowers, and I hated the idea of adding to already pungent cloud of happiness that floated above our classroom every day.

Thankfully I gave this scent another try a year ago. A saleswoman managed to get me to browse as I was purchasing some Clinique makeup, and I was at once impressed and uplifted by the cheerful boquet of white florals that make up this perfume. On me there's barely a hint of peachy-citrus as most of the florals predominate in both the intial spritz and dry down period. Lovely everyday scent. I only wish it was longer lasting, as I have to refresh the scent twice or more throughout the day.
24th July, 2008
So i won’t care that it’s for women, i won’t care about wether this is marketed for “young” people, if it makes me that happy as the name implies it just cannot be that bad. And thankfully, it’s not bad at all.
The thing that I like about happy is that despite the strange naming on the notes, you can get and smell all of them in a orderly fashion, the bergamot and other citrus-infused fresh top, the smoother, flowery midnotes, and the more interesting heavy flowers in the basenotes, wich seem to forget about the woods and musks, but were not maketed in here I guess not to scare off some women that might be afraid to get some dark, woody, masculine base. Of course, with happy that’s not the case, as the base is more about fruity-florals but the good kind, the kind that is more about pleasure and comfort than the kind that says: I’m tired of all the fruits and flowers , we’ve had enough, you and I need our separate ways, I need to wash up.
It has a perfectly neat sillage that’s femenine enough but so light sometimes that it seems that the winds will take it away soon if you don’t pay attention. In general, I don’t think it’s a very unusual fragrance, or that it will be forever revered in the “Fragrance Olympus” of classic scents, but it’s just very attractive.
The longevity here is the worst part of all. Thank to the Clinique powers-that-be, that issue was resolved (in what a way!) when Happy Holiday (wich is an intense verison of the regular Happy) was released. If you can’t manage to get the amazing, creamy-dreamy-sensual-but still fresh Happy Holiday, just keep spraying some more Happy. That way, you’re happy,I’m happy and we’re all happy.
30th October, 2006

zztopp Show all reviews

Happy for women is a better structured fragrance than Happy for men. It opens with a burst of citrus notes - grapefruit is the most noticeable, and some bergamot can be detected too. The opening is bright, fresh, and quite enjoyable. The heart and basenotes are basically well blended flower notes. Theres no musk or sandalwood to be found here - this is an all out fruity-floral to put you in a good mood. Neither the fruits nor the flowers dominate the proceedings - the notes are well balanced.

Happy for women is a decent fruity floral which is quite appropriate for all seasons and occasions - its not terribly complex, and lacks the wow factor of something like Spring Flower, but it will put you in a good mood and perhaps even make you smile!
20th October, 2006
I unabashedly love Happy, so I feel I have to defend it somewhat, although I haven't worn it in quite a while. I love the whole Clinique Happy range. My husband, unfortunately, does not care for it. He says it smells ok if you want to go around smelling like a glass of juice. He's not partial to fruity/citric scents anyway. But when I was wearing Happy several years ago I always received compliments on it, especially when layered with the body lotion, which I recall was emollient, so was good on the skin and not just perfumey. The fragrance just seems to work well on me. I found that it actually lasted, and it turned sweet and fresh on my skin. Yes, it's unsophisticated, uncomplicated and lacking mystery. I don't find it totally flat or uninteresting, however. And I don't get the connection to JPG Classique, which I own and wear, but I'd have to do a side-by-side comparison. That's an interesting point tho' and one I will try some day when I'm out gandering about the dept store perfume counters. Anyway, Happy's freshness and simplicity is exactly what I enjoy sometimes. It's sunny and uplifting and puts me in a good mood.
23rd March, 2006