Reviews of Amour de Cacao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Find out more about Amour de Cacao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Bartlebooth's avatar

I should declare from the outset that the gourmand is not normally a genre of fragrance that I find especially attractive. However, there is something to be said for the chilly, chocolate and vanilla ice cream effect that has been created. It also narrowly avoids toppling over into excess, as in time this could easily have become cloying and annoying.

I may well come back to Amour De Cacao and learn how to appreciate the self-indulgence.

28 January, 2013

Sniffmonkey's avatar

I own Serendipitous but actually prefer this - it's more cocoa less candy floss than Serendipitous. A straightforward chocolate gourmand. Does what it says on the tin.

04 October, 2012

Darvant's avatar

A comforting and yummy scent to be worn exclusively for your pleasure lain on the sofà after the bath in the wintery evenings. Delicious chocolate, milky almond, orange peels and flowers. Simplistic and edible. Not a baroque work of olfactory craftsmanship for sure but a pleasant juice anyway.

12 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 January, 2013)

The_Cologneist's avatar

The opening has a fantastic creamy chocolate, "Tootsie Roll" - like, as somebody mentioned. The problem is, it has a sourness mixed with the chocolate opening. It makes it interesting, it's kind of like a sour toffee note. But, at the same time, it also make my head hurt, and my stomach churn a little. It's the sourness that ruins it. Reminds me of a Hershey's chocolate bar, with crumbled up Dorito's chips sprinkled on top of it.. don't ask. Fortunately, once it dries down, the vanilla note comes in, the sour accord goes away, and it remains a sweet chocolaty/vanilla gourmand for hours to come. Lasts all day.

25 February, 2011

Dark Caesar's avatar

Smells like a Tootsie Roll rubbed on your skin.

09 February, 2011

arthuryoung's avatar

Used to own, but this sort of became one I wore for other people instead of myself. It's too linear and sweet, draws lots of compliments but nobody ever mentions chocolate. To my mind it's cocoa puffs, powder, and a hint of violets. There's just nothing exciting about it, no contrast, no mystery, no art. You could spend a little more and get something exciting, or spend a little less and get something equally inoffensive at Bath and Body Works.

19 October, 2010

Black lily's avatar

This is not a complex blend of notes which makes it scuptiously delicious. A mix of orange zest, cocoa bean, star fruit and vanilla pod.
    It reminds me of hot drinking chocolate warm and chocolatey on a cold winters day...

17 October, 2009

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

One or two sprays faded within 4 hours on me. Otherwise it´s nice and it satisfies the chocolate craving but I´m not blown away, I´m not in love, I´m not impressed, I´m not in love with this smell, I´m very meh about this. I keep thinking ´is this it?´. And women should never settle for second best...better to be without than to feel meh about anything.

14 November, 2008

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Nope. Sadly, this fails to convince. Perhaps I should just accept that chocolate is not a note for me and move on.

If you're considering buying a bottle blind, I strongly suggest you restrain yourself and try a sample or decant first. It's not a bad fragrance, far from it, but it's not necessarily what you expect. It isn't rich or voluptuous and doesn't last very long on the skin. If that's what you're after, head towards the vanilla department instead.

18 July, 2008

kinkajou13's avatar

I love this fragrance! It is the one I wear most often, and though I try to find one I like more, I have not yet. It is not a terribly complex fragrance, but I love its warm simplicity. Whenever I wear this people sniff around and say " do you smell ____ ?(insert favorite baked good here)". I am always happy to report that the warm comforting bakery-like scent is in fact me! It leaves a soft cloud of sweet smelling goodness around you all day. Girls, this is definately one the guys love!! Definately try this one, it is my favorite CSP.

10th June, 2008

thatsmr2usir's avatar

This is a heavenly smell! It reminds me of a chocolate chip cookie! Mouth watering & inviting! 1 of the best scents out there. I do get alot of vanilla & chocolate while I do smell the starfruit which balances this unique scent out. I dont know why this is posted under women's fragrance bcause it is clearly unisex! This IMO beats Angel A Men HANDS DOWN! If you dont care for the burnt smell of A Men.. Then try this,U wont be dissapointed!

23 April, 2008

sameasalways's avatar

I've said it once and I'll say it again. It was like a can of sweetened condensed milk that had been left out on a hot day to attract flies, spilling between the cracks of the wood patio onto the packed dirt beneath it. If you're into that sort of thing. Chocolate? Where?

26 December, 2007

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

The very minimal olfactory pyramid already gives you a clue for this not being especially complex fragrance, and it certainly is very true : This is indeed quite simple and linear composition. However, the aroma itself is so addictive and pleasant, that it makes the complexity totally pointless.
    I can`t say that I get the orange notes at all, but the star fruit in the middle certainly adds that certain fruity twist to it. Also, vanilla is quite obvious all the way, but to me these supporting notes of star fruit and vanilla pods only underlines the fact of this being just a simple cocoa bean scent - perhaps in some of it`s different variations.
    Things I get to my mind : Milk Chocolate, Cocoa Powder, White Chocolate and slightly, some darker undertones of Dark Chocolate and freshly roasted Coffee with Milk. Despite the sweetness, this is no sugar overdozed fragrance by any means.

I`m quite suprised that this hasn`t gain more popularity among guys. OK, this may lean towards feminine side a bit, but c`mon....this is completely unisex fragrance.

Probably my second best gourmand favourite ever (nothing can beat good old A*men), and more than that, to me this might well be the coziest fragrance in existance. It creates a warm, soft edible aura that I have found totally calming. Wonderful fragrance to bed, too.

I really do like the simple nature of AdC, and I wear it with more pleasure comparing to some more complex gourmands, such as Eau Noire, New Haarlem and Il Profumo`s.

Sillage is very gentle yet reasonably impressive. To me, a fragrace which could/should be quite liberally used; even 6-8 sprays is advisable.
    Lasting power is flawless, don`t worry about it.

Now, all you have to do is prepare yourself for getting some compliments.

16 July, 2007

pookerella's avatar

A chocolate scent that doesn't smell like candy...is it possible? Yes! There is cocoa bean and vanilla pod starring here, but I think the star fruit and orange zest round this out nicely. Chocolate with a touch of spice. It is nothing like you have ever experienced! The name is very appropriate ... you will fall in love with it!

After shampooing with Sexy Hair's Chocolate Soy Milk Shampoo, I like to wear Amour de Cacao to add to the layering. I feel completely drenched in chocolate!

02 June, 2007

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

I love this fragrance! It just melts on my skin the way chocolate truffles melt in my mouth. It's fabulously delicious and very much reminds me of the way Nutella smells from the jar. The original hazelnut spread with a chocolaty taste by Ferrero. Makes me feel like a kid at a carnival. EDIT 11-27-06: this is more as an aside but I had to comment: This fragrance lasts and lasts. It's funny, I felt compelled to reapply a million times through the day, but the whole room smelled like me. This is not one of those scents makes your skin smell intensely of the fragrance you applied, but literally the whole room will smell it.

02 January, 2007

elm0505's avatar

Spain Spain

Firstly, where's the chocolate? All I could smell on this fragrance was a strange plasticky, burnt pong.The moment I tried it I ran to wash it off my skin immediately because I was feeling quite nauseous. IMO it smells like a motorbike's skid on a hot road previously sprinkled with vanilled sugar.

20th October, 2006

Ayala's avatar

When I lived in Ramat-Gan, a part of Greater Tel Aviv, where the Elit Chocolate Factory resides, I could smell the chocolate everyday on the way to work. The building is grey and melancholy looking, just like any busy factory. But this concerned no one. The fragrance of chocolate that wafted in the air within about a mile radius around the factory was the best start imaginable for a morning – particularly on a winter day. And what more – smelling chocolate has none of the (down)side-effects of eating it, even early in the morning. It was pure indulgence.

Amour de Cacao is just this: the scent of a laborious chocolate factory, sweet and rich and creamy and oh so tasty. Today, the first day of weather that does not resemble melted chocolate, I got into the browny mood of warmth and chocolate. I sprayed myself generously without feeling in the least overpowered. I am walking all day in an invisible cloud of rich chocolate, slightly caramely, with nutty undertones of walnuts and roasted coffee beans. Light as cocoa powder, without the sneeze. Pure pleasure.

10th September, 2006

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Amour de Cacao has to be the most realistic cacao scent I have ever smelled. Literally, makes you hungry! As Scenteur7 mentioned "hot chocolate mix before adding the water", I agree. As most CSP's this is very long lasting. Amour de Cacao also has a soft, lingering sillage. Very comforting and sweetly sexy cocoa. Just great!

17 April, 2006

snikersprincess's avatar

I really like all of Comptoir Sud Pacifique's fragrances, including this one. It is mouth watering and it lasts a good amount of time. It also is wonderful to layer with almost any of their other fragrances. This is the only concern I must voice: These perfumes are very expensive, but their performances do not reflect their pricetags! They all have a slight alcoholic undertone. They are packaged in aresol-type cans, and they smell like something that came out of an aresol-type can. However,regards of my issues with this line, I will probably end up buying it again because the smells are so unique.
    It is quite hard to find a chocolate scent that is not inundated with orange or patchouli. It's a good one- but the entire perfume line is getting a neutral rating. At this price, they can afford to do better.

05 March, 2006

audrey's avatar

Germany Germany

Smells wonderful of hot chocolate, but without the toffee seetness. I'm quite amazed that a chocolate scents can stay frsh and light!I guess it's the star fruit which lightens it up.

26 February, 2006

scenteur7's avatar

A wonderful powdery chocolate with hints of almond and orange. Smells less like a Hershey's bar and more like a packet of Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate mix...before the water is added.

16 January, 2006

lilypaddles's avatar

Amour de Cacao is my favorite of the chocolate scented fragrances, that I've tried. This one is heavier on the chocolate then Serendipitous, and the lasting power is great (at least on me). Just when I think it's gone, I can catch a subtle faint whiff of it. The vanilla in this has a tiny bit of a powdery thing going on, but love it just the same. A must have for me.

20th August, 2005