Neutral Reviews of Chypre de Coty by Coty

This is for the 1980s version

I once got a miniscule sample of the original Coty Chypre in pure perfume concentration. That was one of the most perfectly beautiful scents I have ever experienced and it made me long for this perfect chypre. I have been searching the Internet from time to time ever since to find this marvel again, but it is just not to be found. What can be found is the 1980s reissue, in a beautiful art deco inspired bottle. This scent was a disappointment however. It is not a bad fragrance, but it is not nearly as wonderful. And despite of it being from the eighties it feels old and dated, a little bit like the bathroom of an older couple we sometimes visited when I was a child in the 1960s. Not something I would wear other than at home, for the nostalgia and vintage feel.
31st May, 2014
I have a sample, date undetermined. This is a goddess, a divine presence, remarkable. But it is not friendly or inviting. To me it is like a a dark green and grey river, wafting up odd rich mossy floral notes. I'm not sure how I feel about it as a perfume. Admiration. I want it to call my name though.

19th July, 2010
haven't been able to get hold of any, but may l add an amusing little apercu about coty scents in general here? just been reading "the real tsaritsa" by lili dehn and apparently the 4 romanov daughters all wore coty.olga, the eldest,liked rose the while tatiana favoured jasmin de corse.marie tried a lot of scents but always returned to lilas and finally, anastasia used violette.the tsaritsa used atkinson's "white rose" and an unspecified vervaine as an eau de toilette
26th December, 2009

Well, I'm just going to say it. I don't get the fuss. Maybe it's just a case of 'mass hysteria'. I finally got a vintage sample & knew that once it touched my skin, my life would never be the same. But that didn't happen. All I could think was, "I've smelled better." Mitsouko & Miss Dior put me in awe & I'm sure my life would be empty without them, but I think I can actually live without the infamous Coty Chypre. Sorry Folks!
12th December, 2007