Reviews of Émeraude by Coty

Find out more about Émeraude by Coty in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Perfumed Librarian's avatar

AIUUUGGHHHHH I just tried this on at Walgreen's. This perfume (at least the formulation available in 2015) smells so terrible... It's like a horrible mixture of something vaguely Shalimar-esque mixed with those tree-shaped air "fresheners" - the scent of which is one of the few smells that tend to make me legitimately, stomach-churningly ill. So much regret during the car ride home, even with the car windows open. I really hope I haven't spoiled Shalimar for myself by association.

16th April, 2015

odysseusm's avatar

I have a mini of vintage juice, probably from the 1960's.
    The liquid is aged, a golden colour. I suspect that the top notes are largely absent now.
    Deep florals, especially jasmine and ylang-ylang.
    The base persists. Certainly vanilla and opoponax, along with sandalwood and amber. A dark, earthy quality here.
    Rich and powerful. This is a scent of a bygone era.

Notes
    Top - orange, bergamot, lemon
    Mid - jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose, rosewood
    Base - amber, patchouli, sandalwood, opoponax, benzoin, vanilla.

21st February, 2015

Sago Palm's avatar

Have to rate this as neutral, since I'm reviewing it years and years later. We all wore this during High School... it was my mom's, my sister and I received it for Christmas presents, and it seems like all of my friends and their moms wore it as well!

Definitely takes me back; just thinking about the name nearly brings the scent. I remember it as being fairly sharp, but not cloying or overpowering. Just crisp and elegant. Would love to smell it again.

Edit: Just received a sample of vintage from STC and wow. It literally brought me to tears, in a good way! Memories of where I was, even what I wore back when I used this came flooding back. Amazing. What a provocative scent. Warm, spicy and elegant, would be perfect for a chilly evening.

18th October, 2014 (Last Edited: 24th January, 2015)

Oldbiddy's avatar

to my nose at this time it just plain stinks! but that can change when my allergies change to!

(Updated on 9/1/2014)

I apparently was just not giving this one a proper chance. Tried it again without bathing in it and it really does appear to be very near like Shalimar in the dry down but without that extra note that Shalimar appears to have, (leather? civit?). I get it now! Think that this one is a very good cheaper version of Shalimar but i had to just get hot and sweaty enough for it to "bloom" properly.

22nd July, 2014 (Last Edited: 01st September, 2014)

Kinglsat's avatar

I got a bottle of this because my grandmother wore it, and everything about her was so elegant. But on me it's just way too green. Too bad.

30th December, 2013

Rumpuscat's avatar

I've just written a review for L'Aimant, telling about my youth when there were Woolies scents and 'posh' scents which we bought at Boot's. Emeraude was the other 'posh' scent if you preferred chypre to flowery, although we didn't think like that at the time.

I have a vintage bottle of this which I like very much but don't use very often because I do find it a bit heavy - a bit like the vintage L'Aimant it is a rich scent and I reckon best to use sparingly - not least because I want it to last. Such a shame that Coty disappeared as they made very good 'posh' scents for moderate prices.

07th December, 2013

tempest moon's avatar

To me this seems like a more powdery, "safer" version of Shalimar, certainly not as loud and definitely more settled than its rebellious counterpart. I find it quite powdery, mature, pleasant enough and quite inoffensive. This is a review for the vintage version only, which has gold, yellow-like liquid.

21st November, 2013

BetsyMeszaros's avatar

Lovely But ----

This review is for the vintage Emeraude.

Bought a lovely vintage bottle of this on e-bay with the powder. This is really a very nice scent. It brings back the 1950's which to me is not a bad thing at all. This is a very complex scent and somewhat sophisticated. I don't see those that like the perfumes issued today liking it very much. To them it will be old fashion. To me it is a classic.

Problem is it hurts my nose. Don't know what it is but lots of scents really bother my sinuses and this is one of them. Not sure what the ingredient is that makes that happen to me. I've discovered it has nothing to do with the perfumes' age or cost. Very sad but this lovely fragrance will have to find a new home. That is why I gave it 3 stars and not 4 stars.

Pros: Lovely scent, well blended
    Cons: Hurts my nose

03rd June, 2013

Suzy2lips's avatar

Is it really true that women never wear their mothers' fragrances? It's true for me, and this was her most frequently worn, second dressiest scent (Youth Dew was her #1). I will always have fond memories of her getting ready to go out to sewing meeting and spritzing on a bit of this.

I like MoonB's description of it - green chemical with a powdery dry down. It's all to easy to be a snob about perfumes, but what it's really about is how they make you feel. We were of modest means, and this was "dressing up" to my mother and therefore to me, so Emeraude has a special place in my heart.

09th September, 2012

Blue Zinnia's avatar

I loved this SO much as a teenager, and I miss it. Sad to hear it's been wrecked, like so many others. I wore mainly Woodhue during the week--sometimes Wind Song to school--and Emeraude to church, a concert or the opera. Yep, it was clearly conceived as an inexpensive alternative to Shalimar, and it was a good one. Previous reviewers have done a great job of parsing the similarities and differences, so I won't get into that. Suffice it to say it smelled great on skin and even better_en sillage_.

27th October, 2011

MOONB's avatar

Whatever it may have been, it is no more. Émeraude in its current incarnation is little more than a sharp and nondescript chemical-green blast up front, followed by a powder-puff granny-esque drydown. Synthetic, cheap-smelling, and truly vile.

30th June, 2011

bluemlein's avatar

i have some emeraude from the 30s; absolutely love the green stuff. if i were to visualize what its scent evokes in me i would have to say silk velvet opera coat lined in ermine with a russian egg with imperial osetra caviar in one pocket, a dacquoise in the other.

17th May, 2011

Bigsly's avatar

I've got vintage Shalimar EdC, Shalimar Light, and the Parfum de Toilette version of this (Imperial Decanter bottle), I'd guess from the 1960s. This is lighter than Shalimar Light and not as abrasive as Shalimar EdC. There is a sharp greenish note kicking around that I'm not sure I like, but it's not something that ruins it. In fact, I may grow to like it (only wore it once). There is also an animalic note that is a bit different from any other I've smelled, but the closest thing I can think of is Habit Rouge. Perhaps it is the combination of orange blossom and "dirty" jasmine. Otherwise, it's quite nice and lasts well, with good projection/"sillage" once you get to the drydown. Instead of spice and old/worn leather, like Habit Rouge, this goes in a vanillic/powdery, dry incense direction. I like this better than HR, not just because I like the notes better but also because it is more consistent throughout, whereas HR is very strong up top and considerably weaker in the drydown (I've only tried the new EdC of HR).

28th March, 2011

Shifty Bat's avatar

I am finally ready to write the strangest review of all...

Emeraude is delicious. I happened upon what is probably a mid--nineties or older mini, Chernobyl green liquid (like the absinthe I'm drinking. That's actually funny.), cylindrical white cap, cologne formula. The smell?
    Sweet, whipcrack tangy, lightly powdery. If English Leather and Envy for Men married and used a time machine to adopt a little girl fragrance of their own (since they can't procreate) and raised her to be just like them she would grow up to be Emeraude.
    She would then be older than the both of them and possibly contribute to their own existence, thus creating a time paradox. Thanks for the migraine, Coty. And this wonderful fragrance.

27th March, 2011

jujy54's avatar

After reading reviews that compared Emeraude to Shalimar, I had to try some, so I had a test of the EDT in Walgreens. To my nose there is no resemblance. I smell a heavy vetiver note and I don't like vetiver.

10th October, 2010

Doctor Mod's avatar

Until I read the reviews today, I'd quite forgotten the role that Emeraude played in the evolution of my current tastes in fragrances.

Somehow, sweet innocent "girly-girl" scents never had a significant place in my perfume repertory. Florientals have always been my favourites, not surprising perhaps, considering that Emeraude (along with Yardley Oh! de London) were the mainstays among the earliest scents I ever wore. (Odd, but both were also vivid green liquids.) My mother wore (and loved) Emeraude, as did one of my older sisters and some of my mother's friends who would come to visit. (Unfortunately, none of them knew French--except my mother, who knew a little but spoke it with a gruff Dutch accent--and they called it something that sounded a bit like "hemorrhoid.") When I was in my late teens, some of the more "worldly" women I knew (i.e., in their early twenties), talked about it as an accessory to their romantic adventures. (One of them even taught me the correct pronunciation!) It seemed to me that it must be one of the sexiest fragrances on earth....

Now that I'm writing a book on the literature and culture of the 60s, memories of my perceptions during that stunning moment in time often emerge in my mind. I was very, very naive back then, but Emeraude opened a door to a more sophisticated world that I desperately wanted to be a part of. As soon as I had a little income of my own, I started wearing Shalimar, Crepe de Chine, Antilope, Madame Rochas, Chanel No. 5 and No. 22, Arpege, My Sin, Quelques Fleurs, Je Reviens, and even L'Heure Bleue--odd choices, perhaps, for a girl not yet twenty.

I still have clear memories of Emeraude: jasmine, orange, sandalwood--all notes that I still love in the fragrances I wear now, more than four decades later. Still, I've never smelled the current formulation and haveno desire to try the version I see in K-Mart these days--nor am I going to seek out a vintage bottle. I'd like to keep the memories just as they are.

After all, to paraphrase Simone Signoret, nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

21st August, 2010

greengrl's avatar

This was on my test list after so many people spoke highly of it. I picked it up on my next visit to the drug store and couldn't wait to try it. Unfortunately I hated the way it smelled on me and washed it off after 30 minutes. It smelled very similar to the original V05 hairdressing. I decided to give it another try just recently and came to the same conclusion. I will give others the benefit of the doubt and assume that what I picked up was a re-formulated version and that the original smells much better.

12th July, 2010

actiasluna's avatar

I loved Emeraude when I was a kid... and wore it as a teen, probably in its least expensive form. When I received a bottle of vintage Emeraude PDT (which is the parfum version I understand) recently, and a good-sized bottle at that, I suddenly remembered why I loved the scent. (not that I ever really forgot.) The warm lushness of the scent, the way it lasts and lasts and lasts... this is nostalgic comfort for me.

I do see the similarities with Shalimar, and find this smoothly warm in similar ways as well... I agree it isn't as deep as Shalimar, but then again, if I have a day when I need the Emeraude magic, what I'm going to be recalling is my formative years as a young woman, a little lightness and innocence where with Shalimar it's a bit more... mature and sexual. (to me, anyway.)

09th May, 2010

Late-Hit's avatar

People have loved Emeraude since it was introduced, and many still do. It has been one of my favorites since I was a kid, and that was awhile ago!

Over the years, I've bought a dozen vintage bottles, and can affirm that the older versions really are better. For those who want to explore, the perfume version of Emeraude (sometimes labeled 'perfume de toilette') is the one to look for since it is noticeably deeper and longer lasting than the colognes of any era. And what a beautiful and evolving sillage.... magnificent!

Comparisons between Shalimar and Emeraude are interesting and appropriate, and their similarity has been noted by many. Both are deep ‘oriental’ fragrances that project a lush warmth, rather than spiciness in their basenotes. One big difference, is that Emeraude begins with a bright citric note not present in Shalimar (though the modern Emeraude skips to the base pretty quickly).

A more significant difference between Shalimar and Emeraude is the oft-noted ‘rubbery’ element of Shalimar. I like Shalimar, but the persistent rubbery note does stick in my nose sometimes. Although Shalimar never strikes me as 'poopy' in the way of civet or castoreum, the rubbery note is always there... and for that reason alone I feel that Emeraude is better for daytime wear.

To sum up: Emeraude (particularly in vintage form) is a bit more complex than Shalimar from beginning to end, and lacks that 'twang' that seems to be the hallmark of Shalimar. Maybe someday Coty will release a 'restored and remastered' Emeraude, and return this treasure to the glory it deserves.

In the meanwhile, the modern Emeraude is still a beautiful and enjoyable scent, and a great alternative to the usual fruity florals. Thumbs up for Emeraude!

08th November, 2009

varvara's avatar

AMEN to that vintage red! couldn't have said it better myself. the original emeraude is exquisite, a nosees dream: musk, incense, civet. this reworked version is pooh.
    simple as that.
    thumbs down for the current
    thumbs up up for the vintage/original

14th September, 2009

tanto's avatar

I remember my grandmother wearing this when I was a boy and teenager. It "suited" her so very well. Emeraude, Intimate, Arpege, and Chanel No5 were her "top 4" but Emeraude really graced her warm, kind character. To this very day (I'm 61 yrs old) I can still smell Emeraude when I think of my gradmother. Lovely!!

03rd September, 2009

GourmandHomme's avatar

I may never have smelled Emeraude vintage in the past, so this is Emeraude 2009. All that comment about how horrible this is for a drugstore scent is undeserved.

As for this vs Shalimar:

I have on my left wrist Emeraude 2009, and Shalimar EDT on my right. It's an hour after spraying. While Shalimar's more rich and concentrated the way you expect a Guerlain should be, I actually prefer to wear Emeraude 2009 as it would be more suited to more variable weather. I can't imagine wearing Shalimar on a warm spring day, but could probably just skate by with Emeraude. Plus keep in mind Emeraude is the same price as Old Spice, so of course my expectations are going to be lower.

PS I don't notice the "poop" angle in Emeraude that I notice in Shalimar, which to me is one fact in Emeraude's favor.

24th July, 2009

vintage*red's avatar

I have avoided writing a review because I am old enough to remember the original Emeraude. It was a lean, mean Shalimar at a far better price! The new junk that Coty is putting out these days is a disgrace to the company's former greatness. You could always depend on Coty to give you wonderful quality for your dollar. Now you can depend only on cheap junk, which has no value regardless of the price. **** for the old Coty products/ *for the junk today

31st May, 2009

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

This review is for a vintage (1930's?) bottle of Emeraude. if you had blindefolded me, put this on my wrists, then asked me what I was wearing I would have said vintage Shalimar. No need to describe notes as Vintage Emeraude and Shalimar are that similar. It's a beautiful, spicy Oriental. I haven't smelled the recent drugstore version and judging from some of the reviews I've read, I could do without smelling it. Thumbs up for the old version!

13th May, 2009

Sunnyfunny's avatar

I can't believe the good reviews this has gotten!  They sound more sentimental than anything.  I first saw a tv commercial for Emeraude the beginning of my 8th grade year.  I thought it looked so elegant I couldn't imagine it smelling anything but lovely.  I was also excited about being able to put a full-size bottle alongside my Dune and Liz Claiborne minis.  With no tester to lead my nose, I purchased a bottle, confident of what was inside and so taken with the name and the gem-shaped bottle.  Well, the stuff was horrid, sort of a pine-y, acrid, synthetic hodgepodge reminiscent of cleaning fluid.  But I would have never admitted this to anyone.  This, I learned, is what I got for buying drugstore fragrance and it was the last time I ever did so.  I tried so hard to love it, to even just sort of like it, that I powered my way through half the bottle before admitting defeat.  I just couldn't pretend anymore.

31st December, 2008

Perfume Junkie's avatar

Emeraude is on my top 5 most loathed smells ever invented. Why they still make this toxic brew is beyond me. It's funny, I was talking to a cab driver and she named all of my most hated smells as her favorites, and Emeraude was at the top -- along with Shalimar, Poison, Tabu (TABU!) and Angel. There are more, but those are the worst!:)

01st December, 2008

Meliscents's avatar

Poor Emeraude, now known only as a cheap drugstore perfume. But for those of you ready to dismiss it, PLEASE try to get your hands on the vintage version. I dug out my old bottle of cologne and even in this concentration, it's gorgeous. Comparing the old and the new is like comparing 2 completely different fragrances. The new version is sharp & chemical, but the vintage is orange blossom, vanilla, amber & musk. To me it's a little more like Bal a Versailles then Shalimar. So sad that although Emeraude & Shalimar were released around the same time that Guerlain has managed to keep their high-end reputation where Coty just keeps spitting out the cheap, super sweet, celebrity fragrances at the local drugstore. If only they had kept their respect for the old staples. Not only would Emeraude still have its well deserved reputation, but we might still be able to get our hands on Coty Chypre. Oh, to dream a little dream.

29th October, 2008 (Last Edited: 30th October, 2008)

StinkKing's avatar

I used to smell this stuff when I was young. Made me want to vomit every time! This stuff is so pungent that a goat would shy away.

02nd October, 2008

Top: Bergamot, Lemon, Orange
    Middle: Jasmine, Rose, Rosewood, Ylang-ylang
    Base: Opoponax, Benzene, patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Opens sharp with an orange / rosewood dominating. It smells a little off, but I like it anyway. Since I don’t remember ever smelling this one, I was first surprised by its sharpness and strength, and then by its quick movement to a gentle softness. I find the rosewood quite prominent in the first half of the fragrance’s life, and I really enjoy the way it performs. On my skin I get no strong floral notes except for the rose. The rosewood continues to stand out until the opoponax, patchouli, and sandalwood show up with the basenotes. Even with the liberal amounts of woodnotes, it does not seem at all masculine. Emeraude is a very nice fragrance – a drug store classic, probably reformulated many times and likely not as good as it used to be, but still much better than its drugstore price would indicate.

22nd August, 2008

Noseworthy's avatar

A less expensive version of Guerlain's SHALIMAR. Old-fashioned and fun, but not to be taken too seriously.

16th May, 2008