Negative Reviews of Émeraude by Coty

Find out more about Émeraude by Coty in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Kinglsat's avatar

I got a bottle of this because my grandmother wore it, and everything about her was so elegant. But on me it's just way too green. Too bad.

30th December, 2013

MOONB's avatar

Whatever it may have been, it is no more. Émeraude in its current incarnation is little more than a sharp and nondescript chemical-green blast up front, followed by a powder-puff granny-esque drydown. Synthetic, cheap-smelling, and truly vile.

30th June, 2011

jujy54's avatar

After reading reviews that compared Emeraude to Shalimar, I had to try some, so I had a test of the EDT in Walgreens. To my nose there is no resemblance. I smell a heavy vetiver note and I don't like vetiver.

10th October, 2010

greengrl's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

This was on my test list after so many people spoke highly of it. I picked it up on my next visit to the drug store and couldn't wait to try it. Unfortunately I hated the way it smelled on me and washed it off after 30 minutes. It smelled very similar to the original V05 hairdressing. I decided to give it another try just recently and came to the same conclusion. I will give others the benefit of the doubt and assume that what I picked up was a re-formulated version and that the original smells much better.

12 July, 2010

varvara's avatar

AMEN to that vintage red! couldn't have said it better myself. the original emeraude is exquisite, a nosees dream: musk, incense, civet. this reworked version is pooh.
    simple as that.
    thumbs down for the current
    thumbs up up for the vintage/original

14 September, 2009

vintage*red's avatar

I have avoided writing a review because I am old enough to remember the original Emeraude. It was a lean, mean Shalimar at a far better price! The new junk that Coty is putting out these days is a disgrace to the company's former greatness. You could always depend on Coty to give you wonderful quality for your dollar. Now you can depend only on cheap junk, which has no value regardless of the price. **** for the old Coty products/ *for the junk today

31st May, 2009

Sunnyfunny's avatar

I can't believe the good reviews this has gotten!  They sound more sentimental than anything.  I first saw a tv commercial for Emeraude the beginning of my 8th grade year.  I thought it looked so elegant I couldn't imagine it smelling anything but lovely.  I was also excited about being able to put a full-size bottle alongside my Dune and Liz Claiborne minis.  With no tester to lead my nose, I purchased a bottle, confident of what was inside and so taken with the name and the gem-shaped bottle.  Well, the stuff was horrid, sort of a pine-y, acrid, synthetic hodgepodge reminiscent of cleaning fluid.  But I would have never admitted this to anyone.  This, I learned, is what I got for buying drugstore fragrance and it was the last time I ever did so.  I tried so hard to love it, to even just sort of like it, that I powered my way through half the bottle before admitting defeat.  I just couldn't pretend anymore.

31st December, 2008

Perfume Junkie's avatar

Emeraude is on my top 5 most loathed smells ever invented. Why they still make this toxic brew is beyond me. It's funny, I was talking to a cab driver and she named all of my most hated smells as her favorites, and Emeraude was at the top -- along with Shalimar, Poison, Tabu (TABU!) and Angel. There are more, but those are the worst!:)

01st December, 2008

StinkKing's avatar

I used to smell this stuff when I was young. Made me want to vomit every time! This stuff is so pungent that a goat would shy away.

02 October, 2008

JennieJenJamz's avatar

I'm blown away by all these good reviews! Seriously, this stuff reeks bad! My mom loves this and I can't figure out why! I guess I should be happy when she wears it, because then I don't have to smell that other stinky stuff patchouli oil. Oh, LORD! Or Tabu! Or Maja! Why does she like the stinkies? It does dry down nicely to a powder, but, well, it's too chemical like! Too sharp! When applied lightly, then maybe I see this being okay. Not for me.

20th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 June, 2008)