Positive Reviews of Émeraude by Coty

Find out more about Émeraude by Coty in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Rumpuscat's avatar
    Rumpuscat

I've just written a review for L'Aimant, telling about my youth when there were Woolies scents and 'posh' scents which we bought at Boot's. Emeraude was the other 'posh' scent if you preferred chypre to flowery, although we didn't think like that at the time.

I have a vintage bottle of this which I like very much but don't use very often because I do find it a bit heavy - a bit like the vintage L'Aimant it is a rich scent and I reckon best to use sparingly - not least because I want it to last. Such a shame that Coty disappeared as they made very good 'posh' scents for moderate prices.

07 December, 2013

tempest moon's avatar
    tempest moon

To me this seems like a more powdery, "safer" version of Shalimar, certainly not as loud and definitely more settled than its rebellious counterpart. I find it quite powdery, mature, pleasant enough and quite inoffensive. This is a review for the vintage version only, which has gold, yellow-like liquid.

21st November, 2013

Blue Zinnia's avatar
    Blue Zinnia

I loved this SO much as a teenager, and I miss it. Sad to hear it's been wrecked, like so many others. I wore mainly Woodhue during the week--sometimes Wind Song to school--and Emeraude to church, a concert or the opera. Yep, it was clearly conceived as an inexpensive alternative to Shalimar, and it was a good one. Previous reviewers have done a great job of parsing the similarities and differences, so I won't get into that. Suffice it to say it smelled great on skin and even better_en sillage_.

27 October, 2011

bluemlein's avatar
    bluemlein

i have some emeraude from the 30s; absolutely love the green stuff. if i were to visualize what its scent evokes in me i would have to say silk velvet opera coat lined in ermine with a russian egg with imperial osetra caviar in one pocket, a dacquoise in the other.

17 May, 2011

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

I've got vintage Shalimar EdC, Shalimar Light, and the Parfum de Toilette version of this (Imperial Decanter bottle), I'd guess from the 1960s. This is lighter than Shalimar Light and not as abrasive as Shalimar EdC. There is a sharp greenish note kicking around that I'm not sure I like, but it's not something that ruins it. In fact, I may grow to like it (only wore it once). There is also an animalic note that is a bit different from any other I've smelled, but the closest thing I can think of is Habit Rouge. Perhaps it is the combination of orange blossom and "dirty" jasmine. Otherwise, it's quite nice and lasts well, with good projection/"sillage" once you get to the drydown. Instead of spice and old/worn leather, like Habit Rouge, this goes in a vanillic/powdery, dry incense direction. I like this better than HR, not just because I like the notes better but also because it is more consistent throughout, whereas HR is very strong up top and considerably weaker in the drydown (I've only tried the new EdC of HR).

28 March, 2011

Shifty Bat's avatar
    Shifty Bat

I am finally ready to write the strangest review of all...

Emeraude is delicious. I happened upon what is probably a mid--nineties or older mini, Chernobyl green liquid (like the absinthe I'm drinking. That's actually funny.), cylindrical white cap, cologne formula. The smell?
    Sweet, whipcrack tangy, lightly powdery. If English Leather and Envy for Men married and used a time machine to adopt a little girl fragrance of their own (since they can't procreate) and raised her to be just like them she would grow up to be Emeraude.
    She would then be older than the both of them and possibly contribute to their own existence, thus creating a time paradox. Thanks for the migraine, Coty. And this wonderful fragrance.

27 March, 2011

Doctor Mod's avatar
    Doctor Mod

Until I read the reviews today, I'd quite forgotten the role that Emeraude played in the evolution of my current tastes in fragrances.

Somehow, sweet innocent "girly-girl" scents never had a significant place in my perfume repertory. Florientals have always been my favourites, not surprising perhaps, considering that Emeraude (along with Yardley Oh! de London) were the mainstays among the earliest scents I ever wore. (Odd, but both were also vivid green liquids.) My mother wore (and loved) Emeraude, as did one of my older sisters and some of my mother's friends who would come to visit. (Unfortunately, none of them knew French--except my mother, who knew a little but spoke it with a gruff Dutch accent--and they called it something that sounded a bit like "hemorrhoid.") When I was in my late teens, some of the more "worldly" women I knew (i.e., in their early twenties), talked about it as an accessory to their romantic adventures. (One of them even taught me the correct pronunciation!) It seemed to me that it must be one of the sexiest fragrances on earth....

Now that I'm writing a book on the literature and culture of the 60s, memories of my perceptions during that stunning moment in time often emerge in my mind. I was very, very naive back then, but Emeraude opened a door to a more sophisticated world that I desperately wanted to be a part of. As soon as I had a little income of my own, I started wearing Shalimar, Crepe de Chine, Antilope, Madame Rochas, Chanel No. 5 and No. 22, Arpege, My Sin, Quelques Fleurs, Je Reviens, and even L'Heure Bleue--odd choices, perhaps, for a girl not yet twenty.

I still have clear memories of Emeraude: jasmine, orange, sandalwood--all notes that I still love in the fragrances I wear now, more than four decades later. Still, I've never smelled the current formulation and haveno desire to try the version I see in K-Mart these days--nor am I going to seek out a vintage bottle. I'd like to keep the memories just as they are.

After all, to paraphrase Simone Signoret, nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

21st August, 2010

actiasluna's avatar
    actiasluna

I loved Emeraude when I was a kid... and wore it as a teen, probably in its least expensive form. When I received a bottle of vintage Emeraude PDT (which is the parfum version I understand) recently, and a good-sized bottle at that, I suddenly remembered why I loved the scent. (not that I ever really forgot.) The warm lushness of the scent, the way it lasts and lasts and lasts... this is nostalgic comfort for me.

I do see the similarities with Shalimar, and find this smoothly warm in similar ways as well... I agree it isn't as deep as Shalimar, but then again, if I have a day when I need the Emeraude magic, what I'm going to be recalling is my formative years as a young woman, a little lightness and innocence where with Shalimar it's a bit more... mature and sexual. (to me, anyway.)

09 May, 2010

Late-Hit's avatar
    Late-Hit

People have loved Emeraude since it was introduced, and many still do. It has been one of my favorites since I was a kid, and that was awhile ago!

Over the years, I've bought a dozen vintage bottles, and can affirm that the older versions really are better. For those who want to explore, the perfume version of Emeraude (sometimes labeled 'perfume de toilette') is the one to look for since it is noticeably deeper and longer lasting than the colognes of any era. And what a beautiful and evolving sillage.... magnificent!

Comparisons between Shalimar and Emeraude are interesting and appropriate, and their similarity has been noted by many. Both are deep ‘oriental’ fragrances that project a lush warmth, rather than spiciness in their basenotes. One big difference, is that Emeraude begins with a bright citric note not present in Shalimar (though the modern Emeraude skips to the base pretty quickly).

A more significant difference between Shalimar and Emeraude is the oft-noted ‘rubbery’ element of Shalimar. I like Shalimar, but the persistent rubbery note does stick in my nose sometimes. Although Shalimar never strikes me as 'poopy' in the way of civet or castoreum, the rubbery note is always there... and for that reason alone I feel that Emeraude is better for daytime wear.

To sum up: Emeraude (particularly in vintage form) is a bit more complex than Shalimar from beginning to end, and lacks that 'twang' that seems to be the hallmark of Shalimar. Maybe someday Coty will release a 'restored and remastered' Emeraude, and return this treasure to the glory it deserves.

In the meanwhile, the modern Emeraude is still a beautiful and enjoyable scent, and a great alternative to the usual fruity florals. Thumbs up for Emeraude!

08 November, 2009

tanto's avatar
    tanto

I remember my grandmother wearing this when I was a boy and teenager. It "suited" her so very well. Emeraude, Intimate, Arpege, and Chanel No5 were her "top 4" but Emeraude really graced her warm, kind character. To this very day (I'm 61 yrs old) I can still smell Emeraude when I think of my gradmother. Lovely!!

03 September, 2009

GourmandHomme's avatar
    GourmandHomme

I may never have smelled Emeraude vintage in the past, so this is Emeraude 2009. All that comment about how horrible this is for a drugstore scent is undeserved.

As for this vs Shalimar:

I have on my left wrist Emeraude 2009, and Shalimar EDT on my right. It's an hour after spraying. While Shalimar's more rich and concentrated the way you expect a Guerlain should be, I actually prefer to wear Emeraude 2009 as it would be more suited to more variable weather. I can't imagine wearing Shalimar on a warm spring day, but could probably just skate by with Emeraude. Plus keep in mind Emeraude is the same price as Old Spice, so of course my expectations are going to be lower.

PS I don't notice the "poop" angle in Emeraude that I notice in Shalimar, which to me is one fact in Emeraude's favor.

24 July, 2009

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

This review is for a vintage (1930's?) bottle of Emeraude. if you had blindefolded me, put this on my wrists, then asked me what I was wearing I would have said vintage Shalimar. No need to describe notes as Vintage Emeraude and Shalimar are that similar. It's a beautiful, spicy Oriental. I haven't smelled the recent drugstore version and judging from some of the reviews I've read, I could do without smelling it. Thumbs up for the old version!

13 May, 2009

Meliscents's avatar
    Meliscents

Poor Emeraude, now known only as a cheap drugstore perfume. But for those of you ready to dismiss it, PLEASE try to get your hands on the vintage version. I dug out my old bottle of cologne and even in this concentration, it's gorgeous. Comparing the old and the new is like comparing 2 completely different fragrances. The new version is sharp & chemical, but the vintage is orange blossom, vanilla, amber & musk. To me it's a little more like Bal a Versailles then Shalimar. So sad that although Emeraude & Shalimar were released around the same time that Guerlain has managed to keep their high-end reputation where Coty just keeps spitting out the cheap, super sweet, celebrity fragrances at the local drugstore. If only they had kept their respect for the old staples. Not only would Emeraude still have its well deserved reputation, but we might still be able to get our hands on Coty Chypre. Oh, to dream a little dream.

29 October, 2008 (Last Edited: 30th October, 2008)

foetidus

Top: Bergamot, Lemon, Orange
    Middle: Jasmine, Rose, Rosewood, Ylang-ylang
    Base: Opoponax, Benzene, patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Opens sharp with an orange / rosewood dominating. It smells a little off, but I like it anyway. Since I don’t remember ever smelling this one, I was first surprised by its sharpness and strength, and then by its quick movement to a gentle softness. I find the rosewood quite prominent in the first half of the fragrance’s life, and I really enjoy the way it performs. On my skin I get no strong floral notes except for the rose. The rosewood continues to stand out until the opoponax, patchouli, and sandalwood show up with the basenotes. Even with the liberal amounts of woodnotes, it does not seem at all masculine. Emeraude is a very nice fragrance – a drug store classic, probably reformulated many times and likely not as good as it used to be, but still much better than its drugstore price would indicate.

22 August, 2008

BlackAmberMoon's avatar
    BlackAmberMoon

Emeraude is a sentimental favorite of mine. My favorite aunt wore this and it was gorgeous on her. I don't wear it personally, but it always brings a smile to my face when I smell it and think of my wonderful aunt...

15 July, 2007

Chedwick's avatar
    Chedwick

I just emptied another bottle of Emeraude. I use it as a room spray sometimes, but I still like to wear it -- My grandmother always wore it she began wearing it in the 1940's--it has stayed in her top 10 and is also in mine. It is pretty obvious that the formula has not changed at all over the years, she (or I) would certainly notice any slight shift. There are so many memories....
    I used to wonder why they didn't tone down the color, it was always so lime-green! But now it is a treasure. You can find a decent sixed bottle for under $25.00 at many drugstores.

05 June, 2007

rickie's avatar
    rickie

Ilove reading the reviews more than writing them. I think I am going to go out and buy a bottle of Emeraude. I too, can smell a fragrance and it will remind me of a place or event that happened. That is the most wonderful thing about colognes, etc. I cant imagine myself never wearing a scent! There are people out there that dont were smell. How boring is that!

10th April, 2007

Cinnamom's avatar
    Cinnamom

Well, this confirms it; cheap thrills are just fine with me! I've loved Emeraude for half a century, and though it's undeniably changed a bit, it's still Emeraude & I still love it . . . especially in late fall & winter. I associate it with Christmas and early loves. It once came in a bath oil that was s-o-o-o-o wonderful. I'd dab a bit of the bath oil on my pulse points, then sprinkle the eau de toilette over. It would last all day and stay as true as I wanted my lovers to be. Sigh.

09 March, 2007

tmgp24's avatar
    tmgp24

i was suprised but i like it.tried it on and got a citrus lime smell and then a nice powdery smell.

19 February, 2007

misspring's avatar
    misspring

Purchased this in the past few months. Nothing has changed. I tried to sniff out some change, but it still hits all of the same notes. My best friend in Jr. High wore this, and I often borrowed some. For me, Emeraude will always be associated with her-- a little blonde haired blue-eyed innocent. (Well, somewhat innocent.) It is still as green as a Granny Smith apple with that high almost lime note that makes it fresh and clean. Emeraude also lingers on skin and clothing pleasantly. I tried it on bed linens with great results. I found this for less than $8. A small bottle in new packaging.

13 October, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

As I was shopping the Super Walmart this morning, I happened by their fragrance isle...couldn't help myself you know?! I was amazed at their full stock. Looks like they carry all of the Coty and Dana products still in production, as well as some current suprises! My eyes browsed through their grocery display of scents, discovering a sample of Emeraude. I readied my wrist and pushed the pump ~ deeply inhaled ~ and was instantly back in my early childhood, sniffing mother's scarf and gloves I was playing dress-up with! To me, the formula still smells virtually the same, although it has been reworked. It's tenderly warm, sweet and a little spicy. Slightly powdery; timeless!

29 April, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

takemyhusbandplz's avatar
    takemyhusbandplz

I also, have the same 'neon-green' formulation of Emeraude as calchic mentioned below. Also, I've always had a bottle of this in my collection from junior high to the present day. Today, I hardly reach for it, but I just cannot get rid of it. There are so many good memories there.

Amazone EDP by Hermes is very similiar in my opinion to Emeraude. They both have that sharp opening. Tho, Amazone is deeper and a little less synthetic. Both remind me of the 1920's and the 1940's. Very nice.

11th April, 2006

calchic's avatar
    calchic

Improbably, after all this time and all the stuff that's come and gone from my life since, I've managed to hang on to a bottle of this that I purchased in the mid 80s. From what I gather, Emeraude's been through many incarnations, bottle styles, strengths and possibly even reformulations, so I don't know where my particualr rendition falls into the spectrum. The bottle I have has that trademark crown-style top on and the juice itself is almost neon green, very similar to the color of Prescriptives Calyx. In terms of scent, this one starts out sharp - sharp! Whip-you-in-the-nose, somewhat old-school sharp in the manner of old Prince Matchabellis and such. Sharp and sweet; I think it's the orange-vanilla-sandalwood triple punch doing this, as I have other orange-vanilla scents that have a similar sharpness and know that some of them are also underscored with that spiciness of sandalwood. Back in the day, I used to avoid wearing this fragrance much for that very reason; I just didn't get it and my sense of smell was a little too untrained for that type of thing, I suppose. I'd just think, "this smells like grandma's perfumes" and put it back in the shoebox where I kept it. Today, I'm much more well rounded and can appreciate this type of opening for what it is! In addition to those three notes, Emeraude contains jasmine - which is quite sweet though not totally obnoxious - and some other spices and perhaps a touch of patchouli. It's a pretty good one; I don't know what the newer versions in the newer bottles are like, but this version is not bad at all.

29 September, 2005