Reviews of Empreinte by Courrèges

Find out more about Empreinte by Courrèges in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

JackTwist's avatar

This is a dry, slightly fruity, chypre that is rather unique in my experience.

Very subtle, a bit animalic (I'd swear there was civet in here, but it must be the castoreum that is so center stage).

The peach, plum and melon notes do not dominate, but just lift this scent lightly aloft. The coriander and castoreum dominate. It is worn very close to the skin and as such would be a subtle magnet for intimate relations.

The notes are listed above in Zut's review, so I won't repeat them here.

This has been around for 43 years. It must be doing something right. It is certainly unisex in my opinion. Worth a try seeing as how it is quite inexpensive as well as being quite lovely.

15th August, 2014

Zut's avatar

Empreinte is one of my favourite chypre fragrances of all time. Here is the olfactive pyramid for this fragrance according to most commercial sites.

Top Notes: Peach, bergamot, coriander, artemisia, aldehydes
    Heart Notes: Bulgarian rose, Grasse jasmine, melon, orris
    Base Notes: Amber, patchouli, oakmoss, cedarwood, sandalwood, castoreum

Strangely enough, I cannot detect either one of the top and heart notes. I most certainly get the aldehyde effect but that's about it. It seems like I directly skip to the base notes which, IMHO, are much more interesting. Some say this is a chypre floral other say chypre cuir. To me, the feel is really chypre cuir. However, instead of hard masculine leather, I get the feeling of sensuous supple suede. Empreinte is dry and can be quite intense on some women but it is never aggressive. If you are not into sweet powdery perfumes or cloying hyper-feminine flowery fragrances, you should try Empreinte.

25th October, 2011

annagarnier's avatar

I would absolutely die to get some more of this amazing scent. It was my absolute favourite. Definitely evening and very very special. Incredibly powerful, but somehow fresh and green too. I also like Guy Laroche's Fiji which is fresher but somehow similar and also Bulgari's The Verte (also difficult to find!) If anyone can recommend anything similar, please let me know. ANNA

19th November, 2009

Sudsy's avatar

The notes, to my nose, are deep toned dusky greens with a heavy indistinct floral & very warm lower notes of mainly wood plus some leather. Empreinte is an intense Oriental/Wood, dark sensual fragrance. It possesses a blend of bergamot, cedar, spices & vanilla. It is definitely for evening wear, way too hard for daytime.
    I don't like it on me. It starts to choke me with it's dustiness, gives me a dry feeling in my throat.
    I can't recommend it since I don't like it, but if you like heavy dry & dusty warmth, especially in the winter, then this could be for you. A positive point; it lasts forever!

09th July, 2007