Reviews

Positive Reviews of Empreinte by Courrèges

This is a dry, slightly fruity, chypre that is rather unique in my experience.

Very subtle, a bit animalic (I'd swear there was civet in here, but it must be the castoreum that is so center stage).

The peach, plum and melon notes do not dominate, but just lift this scent lightly aloft. The coriander and castoreum dominate. It is worn very close to the skin and as such would be a subtle magnet for intimate relations.

The notes are listed above in Zut's review, so I won't repeat them here.

This has been around for 43 years. It must be doing something right. It is certainly unisex in my opinion. Worth a try seeing as how it is quite inexpensive as well as being quite lovely.

First Edit: The overall effect at the end of using one bottle is the light "dirty" scent of oak moss and cumin, one of the nicest of the animalic florals.
15th August, 2014 (last edited: 28th May, 2015)
Empreinte is one of my favourite chypre fragrances of all time. Here is the olfactive pyramid for this fragrance according to most commercial sites.

Top Notes: Peach, bergamot, coriander, artemisia, aldehydes
Heart Notes: Bulgarian rose, Grasse jasmine, melon, orris
Base Notes: Amber, patchouli, oakmoss, cedarwood, sandalwood, castoreum

Strangely enough, I cannot detect either one of the top and heart notes. I most certainly get the aldehyde effect but that's about it. It seems like I directly skip to the base notes which, IMHO, are much more interesting. Some say this is a chypre floral other say chypre cuir. To me, the feel is really chypre cuir. However, instead of hard masculine leather, I get the feeling of sensuous supple suede. Empreinte is dry and can be quite intense on some women but it is never aggressive. If you are not into sweet powdery perfumes or cloying hyper-feminine flowery fragrances, you should try Empreinte.
25th October, 2011
I would absolutely die to get some more of this amazing scent. It was my absolute favourite. Definitely evening and very very special. Incredibly powerful, but somehow fresh and green too. I also like Guy Laroche's Fiji which is fresher but somehow similar and also Bulgari's The Verte (also difficult to find!) If anyone can recommend anything similar, please let me know. ANNA
19th November, 2009