Reviews of Lutèce by Dana

A light, powdery floral oriental, of no particular significance. Okay on its own for a refreshing splash, but not a serious contender for a great scent. Very drug store in its normalcy - Lauder, Dana, Arden and the post-1950s Coty.

Barbara Herman describes this as a spicy, powdery oriental, recalling Ombre Rose. I don't get that reference, knowing Ombre Rose well, as I don't detect rose at all.

Top notes: Mandarin, Rosewood, Geranium
Heart notes: Peony, Rosemary, Orris, Vetiver, Muguet, Cedar
Base notes: Tonka, Cinnamon, Musk, Vanilla, Heliotrope

Okay, but not significant or outstanding in any way.
21st July, 2014
Classic. Very pleasant and enjoyable. I especially love the hints of peony and heliotrope over the powdery (not gaudy/dated at all) vanilla/musk base. Recommended.
02nd September, 2009
JDBIII Show all reviews
If you love coumarin or Tonka, this is your scent. On many people it is reminiscent of vanilla, but on me it smells like the plastic they used to make baby dolls out of. Yuck! Not my idea of enjoyment.
25th July, 2009

I find this fragrance to be a wonderfully soft, powdery, cool scent. It is classic and unpretentious. i own it in the original EdP formulation by Houbigant, so I do not know how it compares to other versions. I think it is far more powdery than Ombre Rose and the floral tones do not have as much rose in them. Truly a classic.
15th June, 2009
I agree with tvlampboy about it smelling similar to Ombre Rose. I tried Lutece in 1993 and it smelled great and I got compliments. I tried it again in 1999 and either my body chemistry had changed or maybe the formula was tweaked because it turned stale on me. I also got in trouble at my job at the time because my boss accused me of drinking beer and I don't even like beer. But she was did have kind of a beerlike quality.
22nd December, 2008
I have fond memories of my 7th grade English teacher wearing this....It worked on her, but never have I smelled it on anyone else......She was one of a kind though
20th January, 2008
Gorgeous for a bargain frag. Perish the thought? I couldn't disagree more.

I find this one almost a dead ringer for Ombre Rose (another great bargain) -- warm and powdery floral that will never go out of style.
13th January, 2008
Used to have this around 1990 and I haven't smelled it since but I can still recall the memory of a VERY strong, artificial, powdery fragrance and I was a smoker at that time so I can only guess that it would smell even stronger today.Perish the thought.
09th May, 2006