Positive Reviews of Escada Margaretha Ley by Escada

Find out more about Escada Margaretha Ley by Escada in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

BetsyMeszaros's avatar

I bought this scent when it came out in 1990. I just love it. Too bad it has been discontinued in its original formulation. I've got a few bottles but guard them jealously. Wore it the other day and after a few hours i got a scent of something wonderful when the wind blew - realized it was me! I will caution that this is a very heady scent and must be used sparingly. If you use more then 3 small sprays you've probably over done it and will be disappointed.

Sure wish they hasn't changed this one. If anybody has original they don't like let me know.

24 September, 2012

maxiemalone's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

I fell for this fragrance the first time I encountered it in a department store. For almost 20 years, I have always used this, and many people have asked me "what are you wearing" and gone out and purchased this fragrance for themselves. It is elegant, classy, a bit spicy and understated. It is an Audrey Hepburn type fragrance.

13 November, 2009

Kathleen's avatar

This was the first oriental I bought years ago. It envelopes you in a cloud of peach, coconut and vanilla. I still love it if I don't over do it. Very rich sexy scent.

11th May, 2008

ubuandibeme's avatar

Wow, powerhouse is right! Calchic nailed this one dead on. My initial impression of this rich, heady oriental by Margaretha Ley; is Christian Dior's Poison - the original. It is spicy and sweet, with womanly sillage to spare. The flowery part of this Escada is like that of Givenchy's Ysatis...soapy, heady & also a powerhouse frag! The orange blossom here is front and center throughout it's extra long life! Less is more with this juice - if you over apply this stuff, it will end up 'wearing you'. I do like it, on occassion!

07 April, 2008

Ibiza_Hippie's avatar

Certainly an evening scent or for special occasions. This scent is rather rich and strong and as it's an EDP the lasting power is great. However, I find the topnotes to this last for about 15 minutes, which is disappointing because those are the note I like most. The dry down is a lot gentler and all the way through it maintains that rich texture. Strangely, this one reminds me of Chanel No 5

14 February, 2006

calchic's avatar

The early part of the 1990s saw the releases of some pretty heady fragrances - guess the "power scents" of the 1980s were still wielding a bit of influence - and this sure was, and still is, one of them. I worked for a fashion magazine at the time and so was often the recipient of beauty biz new launches, and was introduced to Escada by Margaretha Ley in triplicate via a big, honking set of fragrance, body lotion and shower gel. As with Calvin Klein Escape, another early 90s launch that I received gratis, I wore Escada in relative abundance and quite happily until one day I was suddenly seized with inexplicable headache and nausea. It actually took me a little while to realize my own fragrance was making me sick, it turned on me that suddenly and out of the blue. I have since worn it sparingly, never again layered, and only when I've had access to an open window and/or fresh air source. This is a strong waft, one that would probably be overly cloying with its notes of peach, coconut, frangipani and vanilla if it weren't for the sandalwood at the base of the composition. Ah yes, the sandalwood that both saves and slays; again, as with Escape, I'm convinced that it's the sandalwood here that ultimately is just too strong and bug-sprayish. Sure, it provides great staying power, but when your scent's making you sick, is that a good thing? All that said, I don't dislike this fragrance once in a great while on the right occasion; it is rich and luxurious and unlike many of the much wimpier juices that come out on the market these days. As long as I exercise tremendous restraint in the application, I can stil handle this headstrong scent.

18 September, 2005