Neutral Reviews of Azurée by Estée Lauder

Find out more about Azurée by Estée Lauder in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Hoppity's avatar

The opening of this fragrance is bright and sparkling, like walking along a beach on a hot day. The leather is creamy, buttery and very pleasant. One hour later I take another sniff of the wrist - hang on I know that smell. It's Imperial Leather soap! Unfortunately for me, that's how it remained for the rest of the day. I can't for the life of me see how this is made for women, because it's definitely more suited to men. My husband is not the type of bloke to happily spray a female frag but if I could somehow decant it into an aftershave bottle I think he would use it.
    Tania Sanchez gives it 5 stars and huge praise, but she also questions why no one mentions it. Maybe it's because some of us don't rate it so highly.

05 May, 2014 (Last Edited: 10th May, 2014)

blueyezz's avatar

Strange - this is Bel Ami that dries down to Bandit. I don't like Bel Ami and Bandit does Bandit better than Azuree.

The leather note here - and the one shared with Bandit - smells more like leatherette, as in a plastic or vinyl simulacrum of leather. This note is better supported in Bandits green, bitter and edgy structure. Here it smells more chemical than I'd like.

Its OK, reasonably priced, smells like it could be made by a niche house, and is better than just about any aquatic you care to mention. But then, smelling of nothing at all is infinitely is better than smelling of them.

I'm pleased I've tried it, but don't feel the need to buy it.

29 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2011)

's avatar

Azurée is a complicated and difficult perfume with very strong staying power. It is the one perfume my family begged me not to spray again while living under the same roof with them... - my husband talked of "cat piss" and worse things I spare you the details of...
    Well, I myself don't think it's that bad at all... - on the contrary, I find it fascinating. The mix of leather and citrus, the depth and the richness of the composition are definetely a plus - but the bitter, harsh and dark aspects of Azurée and the "civet-element" are serious drawbacks to this scent. A little of this potent potion will last you a very long way, so use sparingly and be prepared for comments of the worst kind. Although I'm normally immune to criticism aimed at "my" perfumes, I must admit that the reactions Azurée triggered were so devastating that I decided not to put up with them. There are many perfumes around which suit me better.

26 March, 2010

purplebird7's avatar

Artistically arresting, a bit difficult to wear. Dry, papery, peppery, bitter herbal, pungent. It has a soapy opening and is supposedly a "leather" scent, but it never segues into the animalic, indolic territory of Chanel Cuir de Russie, my benchmarch leather scent--especially the vintage juice. Rather, Azuree has in common with its two Estee Lauder classic "sisters" a certain sneezy dustiness. Whereas Aliage translates this note into overt greenness, Private Collectionlets it fade into a backdrop of florals and sweet amber. Azuree does neither. The same note hangs suspended in mid-air like a ray of sunshine made visible in dusty air for as long as the fragrance persists. Evocatively nostalgic, poignant, powerful, but not easy.

06 May, 2008