Negative Reviews of Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

Find out more about Cinnabar by Estée Lauder in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Infini's avatar

Wales Wales

A very similar type perfume to Opium, but sweeter, softer and sickly. I remember that when Cinnabar was first made, it had the subtitle "Soft Youth Dew", on the box and bottle. (I haven't smelled Youth Dew for a long time, and I remember it as almost identical to Opium, but less sweet; and not cloying like Cinnabar).

Though I used to love Opium in the 1980s, I have never been fond of Cinnabar, despite their similarities. Pungent and not very pleasant - I'm afraid I have to give Cinnabar a thumbs down.

31st July, 2014

Jean Patou Fan's avatar

I love oriental fragrances, especially of this era, but Cinnabar is one of very few exceptions: it smells like a cheap Opium rip-off. Much sweeter than Opium and quite sick-making.

26th March, 2010

winterdaisy's avatar

I tend to confuse this one with Youth Dew, neither of which I like. I found both to be strong and repulsive. Youth Dew, even more so than Cinnabar, but Cinnabar not much better. I see someone compared this to Opium. I didn't like that one, either, but found it to be at least more unique than the other two.

24th April, 2009

shuzkelly's avatar

i am no expert, but smelling this forever would equal HELL to me... i literally have to move away if someone is wearing it?!!! odd, huh? i have been familiar w/ Cinnabar since the 70's when it was introduced (and had the dramatic reaction from the Get-GO) Luckily for me, no one in Southern California wears this anymore...

17th November, 2008

Carl999's avatar

Ummm, not so sure about this one...

My mum once wore something that I though was somewhat similar to Opium, and when I asked her what it was, she said it was Cinnabar...

Now, I didn't see it for almost 7 years before it reappeared at the department store cloest to me. So when I saw it, I thought immediately of sampling it, for nostalgia sakes...and was somewhat disappointed.

There was a similarity between it an Opium, but not as much as I remember, but more than anything else, there was a very LOUD musty-stuffy cinnamon note dominating. Maybe the tester was off? Or, maybe it has been reochistrated? I don't know, and the Lauder representative wouldn't give me a clear answer; she obviously though that because I was a young man, I was just pestering her, and that she wouldn't get a sale out of me. She quickly changed her tune when I said "and I think I'll take the Lauder for Men. How much was it, $97? Ok, I'll take that one then..."

Still, I had difficulty getting a straight answer about Cinnabar out of her. Methinks it has be reorchitrated or something...

Just not what I remembered. Just something like Opium/Youth Dew drowning in a musty-heady-stuffy cinnamon.

A little disappointed.

11th June, 2007

TDDanae's avatar

I have always loved Opium and someone said I'd probably like Cinnabar. How wrong they were. Cinnabar jumps and screams its cinnamon out. That's all I could smell, just a very loud, sharp, blast of cinnamon. It's nothing like Opium which has such refined and well blended spices.

04th October, 2006

Eryn's avatar

I can see how if you like this, you would really be committed to it. It's just not for me. I was looking for a spicy scent when first I smelled this, but it just screams "Cinnamon room deodorizer!" to me.

05th May, 2006