Positive Reviews of Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

Find out more about Cinnabar by Estée Lauder in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

The haughty Lauder ladies club countenance is swiftly discarded to display a distinctly wanton side. Cinnabar may well be the couture wearing executive from the top floor, but she is not averse to being pressed against a filing cabinet and manhandled by some clammy-handed salesman.

Cinnabar takes a little time to slip the tether of the opening,but its classical seventies construction is certainly no chore to endure. With its clipped aldehydes and antique grade bergamot notes, it’s a high horse formality it quickly climbs down from. The conventional and indeed expected opening is supplanted by a world weariness, subtle cynicism and desire to be much more approachable. Latterly,Cinnabar is allowed to cascade into an accessible, perhaps simplistic, soft, buttery cinnamon experience.

JHL, the male counterpart from Aramis is more anally retentive, and when I want the same sartorial formality, but with the odd casual flourish, Cinnabar is a viable alternative.

22 September, 2011

Fleurine's avatar
    Fleurine

I ordered an 11 scent Estee Lauder collection of miniatures, and Cinnabar was one of them. What a little treasure! Like a Youth Dew from another era, Cinnabar is one of those transformative fragrances that will put you directly in touch with the past. You can read through the notes listed, but when you smell this wonderfully abstract elixir, so many emotions rush in.

03 July, 2011

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

I love the classicism of Cinnabar and its touch of " antiquity". In my opinion Cinnabar is a delicious spicy-oriental based on the combination of spices, fruits (mellow, spicy and salty/sweet) and smoothness with the support of the airy aldehydes that push higher and higher the exotic sophistication from ylang-ylang and jasmine. Cinnabar is one of the classiest womanly fragrances of all time on the same range of pillars as Mitsouko, Knowing, Aromatic Elixir, Opium, Beautiful, L'Heure Bleu, Jicky and others. Its (peachy/plummy/honeyed) aristocratic and vintage boozy/mellow spiciness is divine and enigmatic. The beginning is puzzling with a blast of cloves, cinnamon and citrus linked with the fruity notes of peach and orange. Some mystic exotic/boozy/fruity piquancy is in the air with its charge of almost incensey vintage (Backstage kind of) background and the deliciously stuffy feel is exuded by a wonderful bergamot/aldehydes/honey/mellow fruits/patchouli/spices interaction. In this phase the fragrance is still powerful and earthy with the dominant appeal from the cinnamon-neroli-orris combination. As well as the blast of spices starts losing its strength leaving the scene to the fruity-floral notes, the honeyed and vanillic incense starts to embrace the elements leading the smell towards a light and delicious sweet, slightly dusty, spicy cream. The outcome is surprisingly exotic, airy and smooth with a dominant undertone of orange-cinnamon-peach, the misured roothness of patchouli and vetiver and the controlled mildness of light woods. I see the association with Opium ( vanilla, resins, floral notes, amber, patchouli, spices) that is more eastern, rough and less sweet. In my opinion while Cinnabar is a classically chic fragrance of this world Opium is an otherworldly spiritual potion. I smell a further association with another lovable fragrance, the more boise', liquorous and aromatic Le Baiser du Dragon because of the combination of neroli, spices, flowers, amber, benzoin, patchouli and vetiver. Cinnabar will always be a favourite of mine in this wonderful olfactory universe.

26 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 November, 2012)

Francop's avatar
    Francop
    Spain Spain

Love the potent and decadent opulence of the amber, vanilla and patchouli notes; does remind me of holidays in the sun by the sea...

Very well done...

Big thumbs up...!

18 March, 2011

trace1221's avatar
    trace1221

I recently had a bottle of this given to me, a friend bought it and hated it. I used to wear it as an evening perfume back in the eighties, it brought back some fun times when i was first dating my husband. I don't think i'd wear it again now as it seems so heavy, I'll keep it and just smell once in a while.

18 October, 2010

The_Entity's avatar
    The_Entity

Smells very classy, perfect evening perfume

27 March, 2010

MsNancy's avatar
    MsNancy

I just bought a bottle on Saturday and I love it! I first wore this in high school. It was my introduction into grown up scents after wearing Wind Song and Love's Baby Soft. In college I moved on to Opium. More recently I wore Omnia by Bvlgari. I looked down on Cinnabar as unsophisticated. I wasn't even sure they still made it. I was at the Estee Lauder counter buying some lipstick and I made a joke about Cinnabar. The clerk said it is still very popular, especially in winter around the holidays.
    Then I began to remember how much I loved this scent and all my fond memories associated with it. All of a sudden I had to have some. I ran back to the department store and bought a fragrance and lotion combo. I wore it to a fancy holiday party. It is a winner. I love spicy orientals and this certainly suits my body chemistry. I guess enough time has passed and this old fragrance seems new again to me.

14 December, 2009

lookingglass's avatar
    lookingglass

Launched the year of my birth, this scent takes me all the way back and into the present-bohemians getting dressed up. I remember this scent filling the house when company was comming over. It is approachable, friendly, and earthy.

28 October, 2009

lookingglass's avatar
    lookingglass

28 October, 2009

Grrlscout's avatar
    Grrlscout

Oh, how I love this scent. It's bold, it's sexy, it's unashamedly seductive. It lasts and lasts. You need a bit of attitude to wear this perfume. I used to wear this and Byzance in my rocker girl days, and this was always the more rock and roll of the two scents. Warm incensey, sandalwoody, patchouli, floral, WOW kind of scent. It makes a strong statement. I used to wear this with my boots and my black leather bike jacket, and a whole heap of rock chick attitude. I still wear it from time to time, even with more, er, classically elegant clothing. I only wear it when I'm going out, though... this is an evening and into the next morning sort of fragrance. Definitely not for the office or anyplace you want to blend in a bit, or to feel a bit demure. But when you want a scent that's strong, a bit flamboyant, feminine without a hint of sweetness or strong floral, this is your first choice.

13 October, 2009

jredman's avatar
    jredman

My close friend in h.s. used to wear this when we would go out to parties. It was her mother's. I am thinking of buying it for her just because. It smelled so sophisticated on her.

06 December, 2008

colormechris's avatar
    colormechris

Cinnabar was clearly created to compete with the wildly successful Opium which debuted a year before it. They are both heavy spicy Orientals. But if Opium is of The Air, then Cinnabar is of The Earth. Opium floats above your head like the remnants of incense from some Xanadu. Cinnabar seeps up from the spice mines. Cinnabar's musty sweetness manages to outsex Opium (if that's possible) in a very literal way. Cinnabar has always put me in mind of a womans panties after a long day at work, under her panty-hose and tweed skirt. Good heavens Miss Sakamoto! You smell beautiful...

25 October, 2008

chatnoir's avatar
    chatnoir

My mother's signature scent in the early 80's was Cinnabar. I remember it being deep, exotic, and very spicy. It just screamed "grown up" to me, and I used to sneak a spritz on occasion. I would love to revisit it today and see if it still smells like the quintessence of sophistication.

21st July, 2008

AnnaBanana's avatar
    AnnaBanana

Don't remember how I discovered Cinnabar, but took a bottle with me when I went to work in Italy and Greece for two years. Found it utterly comforting in the autumn and winter, a touch of home and home land. I've discovered other lovelier scents since then, but asked for a bottle for Christmas and find that a little goes a long way in invoking that same comfort, loveliness and "home" feeling. Every perfume review says this, I think, but for what it's worth, I repeat the same chestnut: "When I wear this, people say, 'Oooooh, you smell delicious.'"

08 January, 2008

sandy1951's avatar
    sandy1951

Cinnabar and Opium do smell a lot alike in the opening. All that cinnamon. But then they take very different roads. Opium is more complex and on the right person with the right body chemistry it is magnificent. Unfortunately my body chemistry is not the right one for Opium, which makes me cry.... but...Cinnabar I can wear and it smells great on me. Someone said cozy? Yes, definitely and spicy and warm. Love it. And I have worn it off and on ever since its debut in 1978. Like all Estee products a little goes a long way and it lasts a long time, ten or twelve hours.

11th December, 2007

BlackAmberMoon's avatar
    BlackAmberMoon

I love this type of scent, spicy and cozy. I can see the comparisons to Opium, but they are each unique. Cinnabar is more of a 'comfort' scent, whilst Opium is a seducer. Overall, I think Opium is a much more complex scent. Cinnamon does dominate Cinnabar, so if you don't care for that note, you probably won't like it. Opium, Cinnabar, and Kenzo Jungle L'elephant are all great choices for cool weather and perfect around the holidays.

26 July, 2007

Lisaandtheword's avatar
    Lisaandtheword

Didn't like at first. Dry cinnamon incense(like head shop), (oops put on heavy) washed it off right after. Still there! Then I liked it. Sweet but not foody, wow, long lasting, more of a mello spicy after opening. So now I love it, sprayed very lightly.

16 July, 2007

margi's avatar
    margi
    England England

All of the notes in here I love, so why do I not wear this more often. I guess that it reminds me of BAD 80's fashions, big shoulder pads, bad perms, and cheap package hols when I was a student. Great to look back on and smile, but not experiences you would like to repeat!! More a winter/Autumn frag and definitely worth a try if you are sure it is not going to evoke confusing semi weird memories.

09 May, 2007

rickie's avatar
    rickie

I agree, this seems to definately be a fall-winter fragrance. I do like it, but it is a heavy fragrance. I use to wear it alot in the early 80's.

17 March, 2007

CHRISSYK1963's avatar
    CHRISSYK1963

I LOVE THIS ONE, I HAVE WORN IT FOR 25 YEARS. I LIKE IT BETTER THAN OPIUM. IT SAYS "FALL". I WEAR IT OCTOBER THROUGH NOVEMBER. THIS LAYERS WELL. IT IS A GREAT SCENT FOR DRY SKINS.

29 August, 2006

kewart's avatar
    kewart

I took a while to warm to this heady, spicy scent, but now appreciate it's charms. The opening is reminiscent of a clove-studded peach whilst the drydown is both sultry and contemplative. You need to be quite a confident person to pull this one off, I suspect,- it is certainly not for the faint-hearted. You would need to be wearing high heels and a red cashmere sweater to carry it off (metaphorically speaking.) I definitely see it as an evening scent, not necessarily just in colder weather. It would come alive on a warm summer's night just as effectively. The only disappointment is the cheap, uninspiring bottle. This one definitely needs a re-vamp.

17 June, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

There is a note of clove within Cinnabar that is also one of Opiums distinctive spice notes...I love them both for it! These two seem to go hand in hand, and each posesses incredible sillage ~ so apply carefully. Then ENJOY!

13 June, 2006

benb's avatar
    benb

This is the kind of scent I would wear if I were a woman.
    benb

28 April, 2006

takemyhusbandplz's avatar
    takemyhusbandplz

I love Cinnabar. It's rich and full-bodied like a good Merlot. Cinnabar is one of those scents that smells great on fabric as well. It reminds me of Christmas. The only down side is that someone I have bad memories of wears this constantly.

13 February, 2006

calchic's avatar
    calchic

Sweet Cinnabar - I will always think of this as Opium on training wheels, a gentler take on a heavily spiced oriental and one without Opium's stalking, brooding darkness or intensely binding, almost engulfing base of half a dozen competing resins. In the very early Eighties, when I was still quite the tomboy and just starting to dabble in "grown up" fragrances, I started out by sneaking sprays of my sister's Cinnabar and then, once I had gotten used to it, turned to swiping off my mother's bottle of Opium for a new, more thrilling and dangerous-smelling fix. Cinnabar opens more aggressively than Opium and in a less insidious way; instead of sneaking up on you in the louche way Opium does, the Cinnabar's brighter and friendlier, more upfront with its spiciness. Opium says, "Psst, come here, I've got something to show you" where Cinnabar's all "Hi, I'm a spicy sweet fragrance - nice to meet you!" Note to note, the two fragrances are not that far off from each other at all, but Opium's got a dash more of something here and something there that give it many more directions, like a seductive maze. With Cinnabar, you can pretty much tell where it's going, all the way through the spicy opening to the rich floral heart to the quite soft amber-benzoin based drydown with accents of incense and patchouli. No animalic basenotes here either, which further defines this as a refined lady's version of Opium. So, in short, when in situations that call for restraint, reach for the Cinnabar; save the Opium for when you really want to walk on the wild side.

21st September, 2005

dodgeboy's avatar
    dodgeboy

my absolute favorite perfume for a woman to wear.what more could there be to say?

08 January, 2005