Reviews of Amarige by Givenchy

Find out more about Amarige by Givenchy in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Janielou's avatar
    Janielou

Old fashioned, sophisticated, big sunglasses mischief, affordable glamour, all of these and more...old $$$,
    I LOVE it.

19 March, 2014

jujy54's avatar
    jujy54

Dime store fabulous is my first impression, and in a good way; something in Amarige reminds me of the little girl perfume sets you could by at Woolworth's back in the day. In fact, I wore this once when teaching third grade and a little boy ran up to me and exclaimed, "you smell GOOD!" There you have it, it's been my go to when subbing in elementary school ever since.

Amarige is a big girl fragrance, too; my nose places it in the "bite me" category of zesty galbanum laced florals, à la Chamade or Mollie Parnis.

fwiw, I cannot imagine spraying Amarige, it radiates enough without being propelled into the atmosphere, so I stick to the splash EdT.

09 January, 2014

Elan's avatar
    Elan

Daffodils and black pepper

I agree wholeheartedly with antiquerose who said it smells like "a big bunch of fresh jonquils." On me this smells like narcissus (daffodils, jonquils) with a touch of black pepper from start to finish as long as I wear it in cooler weather. The balance of power between the narcissus and black pepper shifts through the day with more black pepper in the evening. I love it. However, if I wear Amarige in warmer weather the narcissus burns off and the black pepper gets so intense that people around me start asking each other if they smell pepper and where is it coming from. For me, this will never be a warm weather scent, but when winter drags on and I'm longing for spring, I'll grab for my Amarige, spritz it in the air and walk through the mist.

Pros: perfect waiting for spring scent, long lasting
    Cons: exceedingly strong

13 June, 2013

PeteH's avatar
    PeteH

Truly, truly awful. Radiates out to the orbit of Neptune. Causes asthma, retching and a stampede for the exit. Frightens children and pets, ruins dinner-parties, restaurant meals and plane journeys. Could be used to eradicate vermin from silos and warehouses.

Please people, stop buying this hideous juice so Givenchy will stop making it. It's an abomination, a crime against humanity. I can't understand why any woman would want to smell like this, or why her significant other would want to smell it on her. A chemical disaster of Chernobyl proportions.

13 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 03 November, 2012)

Berlynnvintage's avatar
    Berlynnvintage

this Perfume is a migraine in a bottle. I first smelled a sample of this in a magazine and I now understand why the mag came in a bag. It's an indelible, soapy, gagging fragrance that resulted in the mag going in the trash.
    The absolute worst fragrance I've ever smelled.

18 August, 2012

mielr's avatar
    mielr

I didn't love this fragrance when it was first introduced, but it grew on me. Men seem to love it- I always get compliments from them when I wear it. It reminds me a little bit of bananas! It's a bit heavy, so I only tend to wear it in colder weather.

12 August, 2012

antiqueRose's avatar
    antiqueRose

my current favourite. a solid wall of intoxicating flowers, soft, sharp, fresh, sweet,everything you could wish for packed into a nuclear flower explosion. Actually, I find it almost addictive... it reminds me of a big bunch of fresh jonquils. Love it.

05 August, 2012

buren's avatar
    buren

I had a mini of amarige the I liked for tiny dabs, like a little accent.

However, my bottle of spray on EDT turns me off. I find a sniff near the atomizer makes me reluctant to put it on my skin, a little like sweet moth repellent, I'm sorry to say.

My mother liked the mini of Amarige & disliked the mini of Ysatis. I feel just the opposite ....I wish I had more Ysatis!

18 June, 2012

Oviatt's avatar
    Oviatt

This gets mailgned as being a huge overblown floral while for me it smells of rich, ripe late summer fruit and honey warmed by the afternoon sun. Worn in moderation I think that this is a beautiful, sensual scent. It speaks of the promise of the harvest, the peak of ripeness well worth waiting for, the maturity that comes at great cost--keep the grapes on the vine one week too long and the harvest could be lost. Yes, there are wonderful white florals that play a supporting role, but the honeyed fruit is the real star here--and it is honeyed fruit in the abstract--it does not smell of any one fruit and thus avoids the gourmand foodie note that I dislike. This is the CONCEPT of ripening fruit, ripe womanhood, not the actual thing. The promise of what that ripeness will yield is what this fragrance is about. I know that the name and the bottle, with its bridal references, are all about the wedding (although this would smell wonderful on a bride) but to me it is about the marriage--and the promise of what a lifetime of wedded bliss could bring.

07 May, 2012

heavenscent1's avatar
    heavenscent1

A quality perfume, but it has a bit of sharpness to it that doesn't suit me. Kind of powdery. I wear it as a break from my faves sometimes.

01st April, 2012

KarmaLee's avatar
    KarmaLee

I usually do not like white florals, my "white noise" florals, but this one has a bit more heart and soul than most. A bit of jazz saxophone in that white noise I do believe. I do get a bit of toned-down Fracas, a tiny hit of Joy, and then a sweet tobacco/honey tone.

This one gets better the longer it sits on my skin. The male in my life said it makes him want to take me out to dinner naked....

20th March, 2012

somedaywish's avatar
    somedaywish

In brief exposures, this perfume smells rather nice. Sprayed on paper it lasts distinctly for four days. I own a bottle of it due to my initial attraction to its smell in small quantities. Wearing it, I feel nauseous and completely unable to eat anything. I tried to scrub it off in the shower but it won't die. I haven't eaten anything all day. I think this toxic odor could be useful as a diet aid.

24 December, 2011

The Aethernaut's avatar
    The Aethernaut

Wow! This sexbomb of a juice has taught me the difference between daytime and evening fragrance like nothing else ever could. Today I accidentally drowned myself with this during a casual spritz at the Boots perfume counter and immediately knew I was in trouble. Don't get me wrong, the opening was heavenly - and LOUD! To me the opening smells of honeyed flowers - very similar to heather moorland on a hot August day, or a clover field, or linden blossom - a heady sun warmed bouquet, and beautifully done. As it develops an alluring spicyness appears alongside a warm sweet tobacco note - very very grown up and sexy! Unfortunately I'd gone out in my ripped jeans, scruffy t shirt and old sneakers and felt somewhat mortified at wearing such a loud, dressed up frag, but dressed up to the nines and with an agenda this would be perfect. I actually tried to scrub this off before continuing my shop but it didn't budge an inch and I felt I was walking around in a thermonuclear cloud of come hither. Men's heads actually turned as I went by... and looked right past me, as I couldn't possibly be the woman who was wearing that scent.

It walks a real tightrope between being grown up and sexy and downright brazen sluttishness, and at one point in it's development it stopped smelling reassuringly well made and expensive and started stinking of end of the evening desperation, which is why it only gets a neutral. Oddly it was only the sillage that smelt tawdry and cheap, the skin scent was lovely. But with a sillage monster like this, ultimately it's the sillage that counts. That moment did pass and was replaced with a smooth sweet tobacco and tuberose, but really who wants to smell of desperation even for a moment? The drydown is lovely, the sweetness tempered by green and musky notes.

I would certainly give this frag another try - applied carefully and in the right context I may well love it. It is obviously beautifully made and suits my skin chemistry (which is dry and often ruins frags by burning them off too quickly) but this is more of a weapon than a fragrance and not to be worn causally.

28 July, 2011

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

As already underlined Amarige is a pillar, a notorious, joyful and graceful woodsy fruity-floral based on the prominent tuberose and gardenia, with a milky synthetical kind of fluidity, the fruity undertones of orange and peach, the delicious hint of black currant and a warm and boise' dry down made of milky oil, smoky amber, sandalwood and vanillic artificial musk. The fragrance is sophisticated, versatile and with an almost gourmand fatty consistence. I agree with Off-scenter about the comparison with the following (many years later) Carnal Flower Malle by the same nose, Dominique Ropion. While Amarige, with its synthetic musk,  the usage of lactone and the tasty implementation of dry fruits is an example of olfactory plasticity on the borderlines of the gourmands territories, Carnal Flower is natural, crisp and vivid in its notable individuality of elements and in its carnal aromatic crudity of those. Amarige is finally a onedimensional, well rounded, sweet, chemical fluid though delicious and sophisticated while Carnal Flower is mutable, natural and almost edible in its variegated wake. In order to close the round i have to underline that Carnal Flower is mainly based on the powerful presence of tropical tuberose (blended with eucalyptus, coconut and sandalwood) while Amarige is a blend of well balanced flowers and fruits in which the other milky woody-green elements play the role played by coconut, sandalwood and eucalyptus in Carnal Flower). Amarige is anyway a good composition, one of the most appreciated by the women all over the world for its uniqueness and easiness.

09 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 August, 2011)

frankincense's avatar
    frankincense

I haven't had a luscious evening perfume in quite a while and had been sticking to my citrusy and/or green favorites. Then I had an evening event coming up so I bought a dress and EDT Amarige---blind! Amazingly, it is perfect for me; a woman over 40 with 1950's curves and curls. I love it so much I could swim in it. It is exactly who I want to be on an evening out: sophisticated, sensual, deep and knowing. Very French, in the end. I completely agree with Weimar27's interpretation.

09 May, 2011

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

I'm not very familiar with Givenchy fragrances as of yet, but this fragrance is certainly very memorable and beautiful and is one of friend's signature scents.

Like most people have mentioned here, this is a very strong floral fragrance. It's strong in an elegant and sophisticated fashion rather than being offensive and "in your face".

The scent is rich and spicy with subtle hints of fruit - rather oriental and unique. The notes of orange blossom and peach are quite prominent, making it quite sweet and feminine.

I absolutely love that my friend wears this scent well, it blends perfectly with her skin chemistry and makes this classic fragrance smell exotic, sensual and very seductive. However, on myself Amarige becomes quite powdery, not terrible, but not as beautiful as when others wear this scent.

I suggest that you try this before you buy to see whether it matches your chemistry.

26 April, 2011

Coco Belle's avatar
    Coco Belle

Classic, heady, grown-up feminine floral with an elegant touch of fruit and some soft spice. The tuberose is beautiful and the peach is a delicious complement. Apply with a light hand because it's got that 80s/90s bigness!

For evening wear in summer and early autumn. Joyful without being hysterical -- graceful but confident. I agree with Weimar, it has a definite 50s feel to it. It has something in common with Fracas, I think -- it's the sheer volume of this plume of florals. It's big. If you're looking for something quiet and tame, this is not it!

I enjoyed a sample of this very much, and had it been more obviously "me" I would have picked up a bottle -- if I see it discounted somewhere, I'll snatch it up and start channeling my inner debutante.

21st March, 2011

Charlottesmom's avatar
    Charlottesmom

I sniffed this in Macy's one day and instantly fell in love, I didn't spray any as I knew I had seen it at Sephora so I went to Sephora and asked for a sample....I already had 4 perfumes tried on that day so I had no other place to sample it.

I unfortunatly tried it on right before bed and didn't realize it was quite so powerful! I only sprayed on spritz on my wrist and got into bed my husband started complaining about and awful smell....well that smell was me so I got out of bed and showered. My husband can stand Amarige if I apply it lightly (I tolerate it better if applied lightly too!) though Amarige will never be a favorite of his on me....that will always belong to Pink Sugar.

I have the book Perfumes The Guide and get a chuckle out of Luca's review.....he states in part that Amarige is perceptable in parts per billion! I do agree with him, this is powerful stuff!

My son had the day off school today so we went on a sniffing adventure and while in Macy's I once again happened upon Amarige and just had to sniff the bottle.....Yuuuuuuuuum!!!! Funny because I'm an Oriental freak and usuakly HATE florals...Amarige is about as floral as you can get but is truely likable on me. One day I may invest in a small bottle (I still have some of my sample) as I know it will last forever due to my applying in only miniscule dabs...I spray one spray on a Q-tip then dab on to my wrists. :0)

16 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 March, 2011)

Twiga's avatar
    Twiga

I actually wore this fragrance quite a bit about 15 years ago. It was one of my first loves. I bought a new bottle only to realize how much my interpretation of what is beautiful has changed. The fragrance is still pretty, but it's a sledgehammer! Just too much, even when applied very lightly. Friends and family who are sensitive to perfume probably wanted to kill me when I wore it, EVERY day. I'm probably lucky to have survived :)

13 September, 2010

Doctor Mod's avatar
    Doctor Mod

This morning I decided to play the fragrance samples version of Russian roulette, in which I close my eyes and pull out a vial from my box of (too many) samples, and I pour it on me without thinking twice. It could go off like a loaded gun and distress/embarrass me all day long (as did the super-skanky Vivienne Westwood Boudoir on a day when I had to take my car to the repair shop and the looks on the faces of the male mechanics--well!). But the risk is all part of the excitement for this perfumista.

I have no idea where the vial came from, and the name Amarige struck fear into me, having witnessed the erstwhile gf dispose of a nearly full bottle with some uncharacteristic disgust and vehemence. (She gave me a "don't ask" look, so I didn't. I figured it had some past association with another party.)

But still I splashed it on. It was interesting at first, an old school 80s/90s style Big Perfume with monster sillage, and I confess I still retain some fondness for that genre. Although I'm not the floral type, I must say I rather liked it. The tuberose is what stood out for me, some fruit and woods as well. I was beginning to look on eBay to find the going price for Amarige when, about an hour after application, some strange metamorphosis occurred.

I ran out of Pine-Sol a couple of weeks ago, so why am I smelling it? Why is that smell coming from . . . ME? Then it turned plastic/metallic/fishy and finally settled on smelling like rotten vegetables. This isn't the first time a tuberose fragrance has done this to me; L'Artisan Tubereuse did something similar, only that fragrance had rather weak sillage and, mercifully, went away rather quickly. Amarige, unfortunately, is a different story. I'm afraid I'm stuck with the smell for a while as it isn't washing off too willingly.

I couldn't understand why the gf, herself a true perfumista, would trash a bottle of Amarige with such indignation unless there was some story behind it. The reason might be quite simple: She really, really hated it.

06 September, 2010

Weimar27's avatar
    Weimar27

White Gardenia Red Rose Succulent red berries Orchid delectable Peaches
    Spicy Carnations and Woods makes me imagine a 1957 Parisien Cafe with fire red walls Abstract Fernand Leger paintings on the wall Having lunch with Audrey Hepburn Jean Seberg Brigette Bardot Simone Signoret. downstairs plays
    jazz where all the chic Beatnicks hangout mixing with high class Sophisticates. This Maybe released in the 1990's but has a 50's sensibillity.

23 August, 2010 (Last Edited: 09 October, 2010)

Mandi's avatar
    Mandi
    Guyana Guyana

I like this but i love Amarige Mariage.

On me all i can smell are fruits, the lovely notes in the dry down are completely lost to my nose.

It's a pleasant but demur fragrance which fails to excite me.

On me the projection is average not at all strong and certainly not overwhelming, on the contrary i was underwhelmed.

16 August, 2010

cheekyhamsta's avatar
    cheekyhamsta

A great women's perfume - a classic IMO. One of the most distinctive, elegant and best in recent years that I could see might get very mixed reviews. Very potent and assertive but still 100% feminine - a powerhouse that makes you think it comes from the 1980s, but I was surprised to find out it came out in the 90s. Was very commonly used about 10-15 years ago in London, and I still regularly come across women wearing it now.

17 July, 2010

freekypeeps's avatar
    freekypeeps

One of the great tragedies in my fragrance diary! I smelled this scent on someone and was instantly in love with it!!! To the point that I walked up to a total stranger and asked what she was wearing and told her how amazing it was.

Well.

I practically broke land speed records to get to the local store to check it out. Fortunately, after a few mistakes in my younger days, I knew better than to simply plonk down the money and run. I used the tester and asked for a sample. Sadly, this amazing scent turned into something along the lines of Raid or some other vile smell on my skin. It just doesn't work with my natural chemistry or whatever. To this day, I know Amarige anywhere and I love it...on anyone but me.

Sigh.

15 July, 2010

The_Entity's avatar
    The_Entity

i like the tuberose note in this. good for daytime wear, i think it can be worn best in summer or autumn.
    a frag that lifts the mood

27 March, 2010

w3pearl's avatar
    w3pearl

Messy stuff. And kinda vulgar... however, it may smell amazing to a "virgin" nose. It's not unpleasent, but it's way too messy. Feels like a big nuclear bomb of flowers exploded in front of you, and within few seconds, you're in the "mushroom". :)) And you keeeeep walking around like that until the perfume fades (takes a loooooooong time, believe me, Amarige lasts for ages), or until you wash.

Uhm... this might work on some, but the instant massage it sends around is "sex".

On my skin, the drydown has some pealed potato aroma that I hate.

Neutral rating :) Cause this is "a small step for man, a giant leap to human kind". Skip this and get Fracas!

12 February, 2010

Zhara8's avatar
    Zhara8

Amirage - with references to it's Big 80's smell in other reviews here, I found myself puzzled as to why I hadn't any memory of it. Then I see the 1991 issue date and even more questions are raised. Is this a big 80's scent? It's big, that's for certain.

Also puzzling - the reference to tuberose. Givenchy's own packaging calls this gardenia, mimosa and musk, which are certainly the notes that jump out at me, but tuberose? Well, if you say that it's tuberose, I'll believe you, but I'm getting gardenia and mimosa myself.

The musk is synthetic, but playing a minor supporting role. There are other white flower-plus-musk numbers out there, MPG's Jardins Blanc for example. However, for Jardins Blanc, the musk is completely different, and MPG has several other florals in the mix - perhaps none of that mimosa either. Bottom line tho: you are certainly reminded of one when taking a whiff of the other. Those who enjoy that other big 80's white flower frag Sung, yet find it too transparent, or perhaps too futuristic, youthful and spacey, might find Amarige the grounded, grown up version of big white floral.

I'd love to find the leather note in Amarige that others have detected, but it eludes me. There is a rich base, and a slight hint of a dew-drenched grassy stem, an attempt at non-foodie creaminess, but the VOLUME of the entire frag is just so overwhelming that I struggle to find definition. Not to say that volume is a bad thing, but one does have to be in the mood for it.

Florals are not always my scene, I'm more a dark amber and spice kinda gal, and Amarige certainly is all floral with not even a hint of spice, not a trace of darkness. But I'm also a fan of stand-out, big frags, and this one surely does it. Possibly my favorite of the Givenchy house, and definitely a big, big classic.

11th December, 2009

Mimi Gardenia's avatar
    Mimi Gardenia

According to the little blurb on the back of the Amarige tester strip ,it says Amarige is composed of gardenia, mimosa and musk but from previous reviews I see there is more to it than that.
    This is a 80s style heavy hitting sweet floral perfume mainly of tuberose and gardenia when smelt.
    I love this perfume for it's longevity and it's uniqueness. I have to be in the'mood' to wear this as it lingers and lingers .
    Beautifully done fragrance.
    Dominique Ropion- a master ! Serge Mansau - wonderful bottle /glass designer- who can ask for more ? I adore all Mansau's bottle designs!

02 November, 2009

Papyrus's avatar
    Papyrus
    Croatia Croatia

Amarige is my mother's favourite perfume, and for a while it used to be my sister's favourite too. I had always disliked it. To me it smells overwhelmingly salty.
    I'm not giving it a negative rating because I don't think it's bad; I know how many people like it, and I'm sure that finding it "salty" is my individual reaction, a reaction that doesn't even make any sense, because salt doesn't actually have a smell. Still, every time I sniff my mum's Amarige bottle I think of salt.

01st November, 2009

shoebaglover's avatar
    shoebaglover

This is a grown woman, sexy, sophisticated and classy type scent LOL! I adore this scent! This is a scent you would wear on special occasions or out shopping looking fly from head to toe! This scent will get you noticed even more.

29 October, 2009