Negative Reviews of Après L'ondée by Guerlain

Find out more about Après L'ondée by Guerlain in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

tinkerbell's avatar
    tinkerbell

I bought this Perfume after reading the Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez book
    Perfume The Guide.
    They judged this to be one of the best 20 all time greats of perfume.

Sadly I have been bitterly disappointed.

It smells absolutely foul on my skin and even on my clothes !! It reminds me of
    a musty,stale damp room.

It was the first time I had bought a perfume without smelling it beforehand and
    it will be the last.

23 December, 2012

mnaonbn's avatar
    mnaonbn

The opening is harsh and disturbing—like burned plastic-coated violet and ylang, all with a peppermint and rancid ocean water overtone. However, the formula does mellow in a few minutes, but unfortunately, it never loses that nasty burned plastic/vinyl/leather aspect.

Projection, sillage, and longevity are all decent to good.

If you like this type of wispy/dry/airy violet, then you might find better options in Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue, Borsari's Violetta di Parma, and Laura Tonatto's Eleonora Duse.

08 April, 2012

Cyrano's avatar
    Cyrano

Oh, dear. This had such raves from Turin and Sanchez, as well as everyone here on Basenotes, that I feel like the ugly stepsister when I say that, within minutes of spraying myself with Apres l'Ondee, I was transformed into an elderly woman wearing a chubby and stone martins. Then again, I don't love much of Guerlain (no, not even Vetiver pour Elle), so I guess my reaction to this should come as no surprise.

On another subject, does anyone else besides me know that -- as it related to the games in ancient Rome -- "thumbs down" meant "let him live"? So it's actually a positive response.

14 October, 2011

Mark67's avatar
    Mark67

I feel bad rating this one low, given its reputation and my relative lack of experience with fragrance. But I like to think it is not merely let-down after reading the myriad glowing reviews. It certainly sounds for all the world like something I would like. But my nose does not tell me "melancholy" when I smell this cloying, powdery foo foo. It absolutely does not tell me "rain showers," nor "twilight."

My nose tells me "Pampers."

02 October, 2008

fleursdumal's avatar
    fleursdumal

Boring. A generic kind of powdery floral that wouldn't be out of place at Yardley. Like many a Guerlain, its starts off all promising complexity but dries flat as a pancake. Thin, watery and one dimensional, especially as it is only available in the EDT, from what I can gather. Can't imagine the sort of woman who would want to wear this - its very ageing.

19 October, 2007

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

This is not for me, too light, powdery, plasticky, fruity/floral. Not natural-smelling enough to smell lika a garden after the rain, I think it should be more green with perhaps a hint of soil to really do that. This is just vintage-styled perfumey florals. The scent has a certain "cool" and "watery" quality, but not in a fresh and outdoorsy way that reminds me of rain, more in a musty and perfumey way.

22 February, 2007

Quarry's avatar
    Quarry

If you do not like anise/fennel/black licorice, then walk on by. I gave AL a reasonable try, but I couldn't get past that repugnant note. The Guerlinade quality is there, so if you feel differently about that black/green note, sampling will be worth your while.

26 October, 2006