Negative Reviews of Après L'ondée by Guerlain

I definitely agree with Tinkerbell on this one. I bought a FB blind based on online reviews. No more blind buys! This smells musty, old and stale with absolutely no semblance of freshness or life. I tried layering with other frags and also as bathroom spray. Tucked the bottle away for sale or trade.
11th May, 2014
I bought this Perfume after reading the Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez book
Perfume The Guide.
They judged this to be one of the best 20 all time greats of perfume.

Sadly I have been bitterly disappointed.

It smells absolutely foul on my skin and even on my clothes !! It reminds me of
a musty,stale damp room.

It was the first time I had bought a perfume without smelling it beforehand and
it will be the last.
23rd December, 2012
The opening is harsh and disturbing—like burned plastic-coated violet and ylang, all with a peppermint and rancid ocean water overtone. However, the formula does mellow in a few minutes, but unfortunately, it never loses that nasty burned plastic/vinyl/leather aspect.

Projection, sillage, and longevity are all decent to good.

If you like this type of wispy/dry/airy violet, then you might find better options in Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue, Borsari's Violetta di Parma, and Laura Tonatto's Eleonora Duse.
08th April, 2012

Oh, dear. This had such raves from Turin and Sanchez, as well as everyone here on Basenotes, that I feel like the ugly stepsister when I say that, within minutes of spraying myself with Apres l'Ondee, I was transformed into an elderly woman wearing a chubby and stone martins. Then again, I don't love much of Guerlain (no, not even Vetiver pour Elle), so I guess my reaction to this should come as no surprise.

On another subject, does anyone else besides me know that -- as it related to the games in ancient Rome -- "thumbs down" meant "let him live"? So it's actually a positive response.
14th October, 2011
Mark67 Show all reviews
I feel bad rating this one low, given its reputation and my relative lack of experience with fragrance. But I like to think it is not merely let-down after reading the myriad glowing reviews. It certainly sounds for all the world like something I would like. But my nose does not tell me "melancholy" when I smell this cloying, powdery foo foo. It absolutely does not tell me "rain showers," nor "twilight."

My nose tells me "Pampers."
02nd October, 2008
Boring. A generic kind of powdery floral that wouldn't be out of place at Yardley. Like many a Guerlain, its starts off all promising complexity but dries flat as a pancake. Thin, watery and one dimensional, especially as it is only available in the EDT, from what I can gather. Can't imagine the sort of woman who would want to wear this - its very ageing.
19th October, 2007
This is not for me, too light, powdery, plasticky, fruity/floral. Not natural-smelling enough to smell lika a garden after the rain, I think it should be more green with perhaps a hint of soil to really do that. This is just vintage-styled perfumey florals. The scent has a certain "cool" and "watery" quality, but not in a fresh and outdoorsy way that reminds me of rain, more in a musty and perfumey way.
22nd February, 2007
Quarry Show all reviews
If you do not like anise/fennel/black licorice, then walk on by. I gave AL a reasonable try, but I couldn't get past that repugnant note. The Guerlinade quality is there, so if you feel differently about that black/green note, sampling will be worth your while.
26th October, 2006