Neutral Reviews of Après L'ondée by Guerlain

Find out more about Après L'ondée by Guerlain in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Infini's avatar

Wales Wales

I would like to be able to give Apres L'ondee a thumbs up: I love it as it comes out of the bottle, when it smells of beautifully powdery and slightly peppery violets, with quite a hint of L'Heure Bleue. Unfortunately it quickly turns into a very nondescript white floral, with a strange, almost oily note. If only this change didn't take place, Apres L'ondee would be one of my favourite perfumes (Shalimar does similarly odd things on my skin too). I'm afraid I'll have to give Apres L'ondee a neutral

10th August, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

Light floral melange relying on violet, orris and mimosa for depth

This is a very nice, very light and cool confection created in 1906, that has a great deal more to do with the 19th century tradition of floral perfumes than the burgeoning 20th with its bold statements and blends.

There are 13 ingredients: bergamot, lemon, carnation, violet, heliotrope, anise, orris root, neroli, mimosa, jasmine, rose, hawthorn and vanilla.

On me this dries down to a powdery mix of orris, violet and mimosa, perfectly pleasant for the few hours the edt lasts, but not something I would add to my scent collection. It is more of a museum piece - a reminder of the 19th century of light floral perfumes - than a contemporary scent.

As such, I would recommend sampling it for the experience, but not blind buying a bottle until you are sure it suits you.

Luca Turin's claim that it is one of the twenty greatest perfumes of all time is vastly exaggerated, to say the least.

Pros: Light, cool, pleasant throw back to floral perfumes of the early 20th century
    Cons: Lacks strength and longetivity

30th May, 2013

Minkymaid's avatar

England England

Edt hardly there on me and disappeared in a few minutes- sprayed it into unfragranced body lotion before putting the lotion on and it was still happily doing it's thing after 4 hours. So, good tip from the Guerlain rep there. Unfortunately once I could actually experience it I realised it was not for me. Such a pity, I so wanted to like it.

23rd October, 2011

LadyDragonFire's avatar

This isn't bad, but it pretty much just comes out smelling like licorice/anise on me. I'm not really getting the powdery floral notes it's supposed to have. I don't really dislike it, but I definitely prefer Shalimar and Mitsouko. Also, my mom says she doesn't think this perfume smells that great on me. She actually thinks it smells pretty much like the air in a hospital waiting room (air freshener?) So, unfortunately, Apres L'Ondee will probably not end up ever being my signature fragrance.

11th October, 2011

pansylady's avatar

This fragrance certainly brings a high level of expectation, with so many rhapsodic reviews... I have just begun to explore it's depths, so these are first impressions:

I'm initially put off by the sharp top notes- but there's something oddly appealing about the slightly medicinal (calamine lotion) yet somehow warm vanilla/violet mid and basenotes-

It's funny, but I have picked up this calamine lotion vibe from a few other scents- La Chasse aux Papillons by L'Artisan, Today by Avon, and L'Heure Bleue- I wish I could identify the source...

19th May, 2010

montmorency's avatar

I want to love this - I really do. Everyone I know raves about it; the reviews on this blog are almost uniformly enthusiastic. But the vanilla-violet accord has the wan period feel of one of those old round boxes of dusting powder, the kind that used to come with a sort of feather-boa of a powder puff, for ladies of the 1950s and earlier. It's specifically that old box rediscovered, because Apres l'Ondee has the slightly perished quality of an oil-based talc several decades past its sell-by date; it has, in other words, the interesting but hardly rainwashed quality of the inside of old wooden drawers that have contained cosmetics. I kind of enjoy that temps perdu quality as an antiquarian, nostalgic pleasure, and it may be that this is what various reviewers mean by 'melancholy', but I certainly wouldn't want to smell of it. I am a pretty unreconstructed Guerlain junkie, and I tend to love the classics from this period, but not this. Give me Mitsouko every time, or even the far less exciting Vol de Nuit. I have got the Apres l'Ondee parfum on my left arm and the vintage EdT on my right. The dry-downs are very similar, although the vanillic note is considerably stronger in the parfum; and as expected, the parfum is has far more staying power, though neither is especially radiant. After top notes in each which remind me more of opening a semi-volatile tin of oil-based house paint (that's a nice smell, actually, though not so great in a fragrance!), the EdT has a distinctly honeyed heart note which is hardly represent in the parfum. If the honey started earlier and lasted longer, perhaps....

I will do this test again in a few months and see if I can understand the fuss better. Until then, I'm afraid I'm l'ondee on the sunny parade of praise.

31st October, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2010)

ocpyroqueen's avatar

I found this to scent to be just kind of blah - nothing special, just vaguely floral and powdery, as in the description. It certainly is no match for the older Guerlains, which are so dramatic, whether you like them or not.

15th June, 2007

mermaid's avatar

Ireland Ireland

I tried this today and found the anis note too dominant, too strident.. could not get past it. I still think it's the most interesting of the classic Guerlains though and will try it again.

26th February, 2007