Reviews of Mitsouko by Guerlain

Find out more about Mitsouko by Guerlain in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Chypre

How, in the course of reviewing close to 800 fragrances, have I managed not to write about Mitsouko? To answer with a question, what more could I say about it that hasn’t been said already? Nobody needs to read more analysis of its structure, more rapturous praise, more speculation on gender-appropriateness, or more nit-picking over the various concentrations (I like the parfum) and reformulations (the latest is brighter, thinner, and more obviously fruity, but still recognizable). Mitsouko is a monument in the history of perfumery. You may or may not like it, but if you care about fragrance you should wear it at leas once.

19 June, 2014

comerio28's avatar

I tried this for the first time last Sunday. I liked it at first. It was earthy and fresh. Then it dried down to "little old lady" smell. It just didn't work for me. However, My elderly mother and Aunt liked it

24 May, 2014

Jona Jackson Lucas's avatar

I was a fun, no it is not correct: I was in love with Heritage, de Gueralin, amd indeed the parfum version was my signature. Nowdays, it seems that the eau de toilette has been reformulated, loosing its body, while eau de parfum, is missing.
    Since I am in love with Guerlain house, for imstamce eau du coq, eau de guerlain, etc. I come to test Mitsouko.
    Here you go: I am a man, amd now Mitsouko, the eau de parfum, is my new signature.
    A fantistc chypree, light but present, as intermal flame that show you the way.
    I do not care of marketing, to me fragrances are comimg without sex.
    This is a masterpice of perfumery.
    The utilization of peach in combination with mossy undertones is simply genial!

09 May, 2014

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

The most complicated perfume I own. I am still learning to like or love Mitsy, but boy, it is taking time. To me, the opening is an almost poisonous cloud of dank, bitter green that reminds me of the fragrances that my parents' friends had on in the late seventies (when I was a very young child, ahem, cough cough), and brings me back to a picture I have of my Dad, with side-burns and his cringey squash outfit. I sprayed it on the box to begin with, and it was strong enough to give me a headache, you know the type that hums behind your eyes. And this is the recent EDP version, so I can't say it is the oak moss doing this.

I did not, and still do not sense any peach in this. In the far distance, I can sometimes (after four-five hours) get the thrum of a pan of some sour, inedible fruit being simmered in a toxic liquid, like formaldehyde. At this point, I get a whiff of cloves if I focus hard enough. The middle and dry down do have a sweeter tone as they go on, but this is not a sweet perfume per se. It is not a friendly perfume. I use it when I know I am going to be air kissing people I don't like at starchy events I have to attend because of my job. It gives me a perverse pleasure to go in for the kill, swing my hair into their noses and fill their olfactory senses with a cloud of toxic Mitsy swamp, forbidding and stern. I like watching them recoil a bit.

The only times I have ever gotten Mitsouko to be a little friendlier on me was one time a few weeks ago when I spritzed it on before going for a long, six hour walk through the city with my husband, young son, baby daughter and my mum. By the end of the day, the fragrance had taken on this salty, outdoorsy, herbal aspect that merged with the faint sweat on my skin. It was if both Mitsouko and I had finally learned to stop pacing edgily around each other and just chill out a bit. In brief, I am still learning to love this bomb. None of the Guerlains are an easy, straight off love for me, but I am having to work at this one just a little bit harder than the others in the Axis of Greatness (Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue).

But - respect to Mitsouko, seriously. It is a complicated, complex woman, and she keeps you on your toes. By no means a comfortable perfume, she sidles up behind up with a dainty little dagger pointed at your back. Better be careful with her.

06 May, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

Queen of Chypres

There isn't much more to add to what has been said. We know it's significance. It has it's place in history of perfume, it's been called the best of all time etc...

It's Oakmoss and Peach and rose and many other things, it's like a secluded garden in a forest full of flowers, with the smell of rain still in the air. Jacques Guerlain wanted to evoke with this "the smell of a woman's skin". I understand what he was trying to do.

I also don't see how anyone would not like this. It's floral, fruity, but so deep and earthly and rich and very hard to describe. I find it very unique. A wonderful mossy, beautiful fragrance, and a wonderful experience to smell. I really think everyone should try this. I don't think "old lady" or other labels. It really doesn't smell like much else and it was the inspiration (like Jicky and Shalimar), for not just many other classics, but also much of what we have today in the world of perfume.

I think this should be preserved forever as something really special. It has no gender, time or place. It should stand as something for all and everyone, and for all time. Real art in a bottle. Wonderful stuff!

01st May, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Splendid, invigorating, evocative, balsamic, flower, baroque.. a celestial symphony. One of the best fragrances ever made – easily in the top three at least. And speaking as a man, one of the fragrances I enjoy wearing the most. As far as I know, it's also one of the few scents that have not been "mutilated" with bad reformulations... the EDP is still pretty good.

04 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 26 April, 2014)

Captain's avatar

I stayed away from this scent for a bit because I don't like peach in my scents, or so I thought. A lot of peach in perfumes is the sickly sweet kind. This does not have that type of peach. It's dry, spicy, woody and mossy. Not sweet, you could even say it's bitter.

I throw this word around a bit ha when it comes to Guerlain but like L'Heure Bleue and Shalimar, this perfume *is* a masterpiece. Truly. And, in no way is it fruity, it is woody, spicy, powdery and mossy, incredibly complex. it's not over whelmed by any of the notes. I find Guerlain a master at balance for my tastes. It projects well and lasts a good 6 hours.

I ordered the day I tested it. :D Adding: my husband adores this scent, like, crazy adores it. <3

06 December, 2013 (Last Edited: 25 May, 2014)

's avatar

It's unfortunate...

that I have to give this perfume a poor review based on reactions from women I know. Two took a sniff of it, one is obsessed with perfume, and immediately wrinkled noses and comments like "What the hell is that?" and "Smells like old ladies". I guarantee you 99.9% of women under 40 will not like this perfume. I'd highly recommend trying this out before deciding to purchase.

17 October, 2013

SaladRonin's avatar

I rather liked this in the original formulation.

A lady I know and respect wears this as her signature fragrance... in its original formulation. Apparently she has a stockpile of the vintage perfume. Unknowingly, I bought her a bottle of the new formulation as a gift. She eyed it warily when given, complemented me on correctly identifying her selection and then said to me "let me teach you something about perfume." So excused herself, and apparently went and bathed and changed clothes, and applied my gift. What a difference! A muted presence, so much lost. That's when she told me "Only old perfumes are worthwhile. The regulations imposed today make perfume simply awful." In the case of Mitsuoku, she is entirely correct. It's not that the new formula is disgusting, but that it is only a pale imitation of the original. It feels somehow... soulless in comparison.

20th August, 2013

Hubar's avatar

I purchased Mitsouko EDP recently, and have tried wearing it just twice. Although I do not dislike this fragrance I could not understand the raves I've read about it. It is a little too sweet for me.

Today I tried a sample of vintage Mitsouko pure parfum. What a difference. I love it. It is so much smoother it's like drinking a great champagne vs. a cheap one. I know that's not a great analogy, but is the best I can do right now. I only wish this could be made by the vintage formula, of course I've wished that for Joy also ( and a few others, LOL).

22 March, 2013

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

before i tried vintage PDT i could not appreciate this scent enough,

for me this is beautiful galbanum note, spicy, strong , vibrant....an amazing experience yes ,i love how Bal a Versailes put it. Oak moss is not that green here, but gives feel of something aromatic and natural behind, that takes breath away!

when i smell it from the distance i get old lady vibe , when i put my nose closer to the skin its soo gorgeous, one has to get used to it, becasue modern perfumes just lost it, from that old lady vibe i think there must be some animalic notes too

EDT version is much sharper, in a masculin kind of way, the differenc is huge to my nose, its more mossy, less spicy, and less beauty for me

05 March, 2013

jasminegreentea's avatar

England England

The most beautiful smell in the world. I know they say do not mix your fragrances but I wear this with vintage rochas femme, the two together smell sublime, try it you wont be disappointed.

28 February, 2013

rbaker's avatar

The beauty of this fragrance is obvious in many parts: the balanced flowery jasmine and rose, counterbalanced by the bergamot, and all enveloped in a creamy note that bears the hallmark of a classic. A gentle note of pepper and wood emanates in the drydown. Recalling an older formulation, however, a lot of the richness and luxuriant intensity has gone; it has become leaner, more "modern" and a bit duller. Whilst the Louis Vuitton version veers towards the neutral overall, the total score over the years remains a thumbs-up for this classic. Projection is average, but even the new version lasts five hours on me.

29 November, 2012

Francolino's avatar

this is only for the sexy and kinky type of guys, you wanna be dusky and sexy? this is for you obscure lovers out therer!

23 October, 2012

Bal a Versailles's avatar

MItsouko is not a fragrance but an experience. This is mine. Take an eight week old baby from it's crib at 4 pm. It's bathtime. Droplets of breast milk have run down into the creases of his neck where they smell interesting but not offensive. The soft scent of cotton wafts up from baby's skin and there is just the faintest trace of fudgy excrement on his bottom, mixed with the protective barrier cream, Amolin, I think, slightly almond. the kernel of the peach. His wispy hair smells divine and he burps a tiny hiccup of gripe water and you recognise the dill and fennel. In spite of the active biology of his skin you desperately love and desire what is so unique and you know that in minutes he will smell of sudsy baby soap and talcum powder.
    Mitsouko in repose, after the initial burst has gone, smells of love, breath, breast, sleep, innocence and desire, milk, cotton, fennel, almond and urea.

09 October, 2012

teardrop's avatar

England England

This review is for the modern extrait;

The opening is very retro in feel, with an underlying creaminess that quickly becomes more prominent, & sweeter, almost cloying. After an hour though, it is softer & mossier. And although l don't really get the peach note, l do get the "fuzzy peach skin" vibe others have mentioned. Three hours in, l get salty oakmoss along with an ambery sweetness, & the whole thing is still traceable after seven hours on my skin.
    l didn't expect to love Mitsouko, although of course l respect her classic pedigree. l can imagine growing to like her a lot after a few more wearings though, especially having read that she tends to show different facets of her character at different times. She isn't bitter & green on my skin as l have found other chypres to be, but l think it's the addition of galbanum that usually causes this. Mitsouko is prettier & much less "dark & mysterious" than l expected, in fact she is surprisingly easy to wear, & makes me feel very put-together, grown-up & in control.

12 June, 2012

salim96's avatar

Oman Oman

My favorite of all time, owning 3 bottles.

A must try for every Perfumista.

This is simply became an Icon in the perfumes world.

This is probably the only bergamot scent i encountered which

in the opening you are not hit with bergamot ( contrary to aqua di parma)

which surprised me, in other words, perfectly blended

29 April, 2012

Emily's avatar

Chypre isn't a genre. It's a 'tude. With that being noted, I have to admit I don't carry much of the chypre 'tude, but I certainly get it and like it.

Mitsouko is the wonderfully weird abstract scent that is a godmother of hard to categorize perfumes. It definitely smells like all the noted ingredients were baked and dried for an oddly flat, yet soft affect. I remember my first sniff 5 years back was a slam of peach and cinnamon with dirty herbs. Today I get more of a soft melting of the two worlds. The marriage of the peachy floral warmth to the dry green woodiness is clever and cozy, but still a wee bitter for my tastes.

The unmistakable oakmoss and woodsy finish is pleasant and sophisticated like a rich grandmother who buys tailored tweed blazers. She seems like she would be harsh, but she would actually like to take you out for ice cream and shopping.

It has so far settled into the sample paper for 21 hours and has left unmistakable traces front and center. That is staying power people. Mitsouko isn't my favorite Guerlain, but I prefer it to L'Heure Blue which is pretty, but too dry and filmy for me to wear.

I notice that different batches sometimes look....different. Some juices look peachy amber, others pale acid yellow.

27 March, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

I still have a lot to learn about chypres, so it made perfect sense to try one of the world's most famous chypres, Mitsouko.

'Perfumes: The Guide' uses Mitsouko as their chypre reference, hailing it as one of Guerlain's best masterpieces. I'm young, not really a big fan of chypres, however I do agree wholeheartedly on that definition.

Mitsouko is warm, slighty spicy, mossy, citrusy and dry. This fragrance tends to be so complex that it is difficult to pinpoint any particular note at any given time.

While this fragrance may be classic and extremely well-known, there is a sense of timelessness in this fragrance. It doesn't age as it makes an easy transition into a new century.

The classic Guerlain's continue to amaze me. Mitsouko is just as worthy of praise as those very distinguished Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue bottles. It is a pity that Guerlain now produces fragrances that don't live up to its renowned name.

While mostly green, crisp and earthy to my nose, (a scent that I'd also recommend to men), I feel a sense of velvety softness, something that settles on my skin like a harmony of silky florals and creamy goodness. This contradictory experience both confuses me and allures me at the same time.

Perhaps the reason why this fragrance is such a masterpiece is because it can evoke so many different feelings and opinions. Mitsouko is not something I can imagine myself wearing, however it is something that I could have the desire to smell every few seconds if I had the opportunity.

22 March, 2012

jtd's avatar

Mitsouko’s most charming quality is that it suggests an aging face. Remember back in the day when people aged visibly? Qualities like patience, endurance, maybe even wisdom suggested that there was a reward to having come out on the other side of youth and middle-age. Of having gained something. There is something deserving, and in the best cases, generous to be found in an old face. Something implicitly handsome and attractive. Perhaps for worse, but, with hope, for the better, I’m aging. Mitsouko suits me more as time passes. I imagine there’s the lucky young person who can wear Mitsouko with aplomb, but I like to hope that wearing Mitsouko with that powerful grace of age is one of the better things in life that awaits me.

19 March, 2012

kuttusa's avatar

When I was tried this, it was overwhelmingly sweet, but the longer it stays on your skin the better it gets. It fades to a lovely powdery sweet smell with hints of spice then a subtle peach and a final lingering woody smell. It's not 'the one' for me, but if you can get over its first overpowering sweetness it's like wearing a sweet summer's day with the promise of exotic travels.

08 December, 2011

Alityke's avatar

My favourite Guerlain scent. Reading these reviews reminds me I should replenish my wardrobe and buy more

27 November, 2011

hypnotic antidote's avatar

The first time I smelt Mitsouko I was so excited. I'd read Luca Turin going on about it and was expecting some sort of divine revelation.

I went into a department store and smelt some on a smelling strip. My first reaction was - Wax Crayons?

However, I'd been told that you needed to try this on your skin and keep going back to it (I've also learnt that the first time I smell something complex my brain defaults to a smell it already knows).

So I kept on trying but it still wasn't opening up for me. Then on the seventh(!) try, I'd sprayed it on and had gone into another shop (I still remember it vividly). Suddenly it opened up around me. It felt like I was at the centre of a 3D scent mandala whose constituents were constantly shifting and revolving around me. I was totally lost in the enchantment of it.

Ah Mitsouko, what are you? Hyper-synthetic peach layered with rich florals, or bright citrus with deep dank moss? Sometimes you feel like a misty morning, others like a bright clean summer's day, or musty dark green undergrowth in the rain, or a candy violet treat, or......... Whatever you are smelling like though you really hit the sweet spot in my brain and smell just darn GOOD!

Mitsouko's genius, I believe, lies (like the language of Shakespeare) in indeterminacy. By remaining complex and open, generations of people are able to project their own interpretations into its structure. True Art.

It wasn't quite divine but I definitely got my revelation!

02 September, 2011

LadyDragonFire's avatar

I've actually changed my mind about this fragrance. The first time I wore it I thought I didn't like it, probably because it comes on very strong when I first apply it. However, I gave it another chance today and I actually like it a lot more! I think how I feel about a fragrance can vary a lot depending on my mood. Also, Mitsouko is very different from most modern fragrances so I think I just wasn't prepared for the way it smells. Today, I've been wearing it for a few hours and I find I really enjoy the way Mitsouko smells when it dries down. When I first apply it I mostly smell the dry woody and green notes a lot, but dried down it smells like exotic spices on me and I find that I want to keep smelling it! I don't think it's a fragrance I could wear every day but it's definitely a really nice sexy evening scent! I actually do recommend this one to everyone who likes chypre and spicy exotic fragrances.

22 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 September, 2011)

Khan's avatar

Bought this for the wife based on all the reviews and so thought it was going to be something amazing. But I couldn't wrong enough,Mitsouko smelt awful!! It smelt like an elderly women's wardrobe. Very strong and very flowery....its so strong it would knock out any bee in your area!!

19 July, 2011

Fleurine's avatar

What to say about Mitsouko? Her reputation proceeds her. Even the name is mysterious. I blind bought this after reading many many intriguing reviews and anecdotes...I knew my collection wouldn't be complete without it. But, I was relieved and surprised to find that I also am able to wear Mitsouko. The overall feeling is classic, if old-fashioned, and well rounded , with a spicy cinnamon note in the base, middle notes including a familair jasmine/rose accord, as well as that well-blended peach note. I can't help but continue to to analyze this fragrance when I wear it. I love this fragrance for taking me on a trip back from 1919 up until today. If you have any interest in chypres, you must sample this one. But forewarned is forearmed, this bears little resemblance to most modern fragrances so if you get freaked out by the idea of "an old lady scent" do not blind-buy. Sample and enjoy!

30th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 May, 2012)

brightpearl's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Mitsouko has become my perfume in a way that no other perfume has before. I adore it. This is the one which fetches the most compliments too. It works as an everyday perfume for me in the climate of The Netherlands.

I use the EDP. Mitsouko is the only perfume in my collection that I desire to have in the perfume formulation and I can hardly wait to find a bottle.

I can only imagine what a masterpiece the original formulation must have been.

23 May, 2011

Red Theodora's avatar

Ah, Mitsouko, nothing really compares with it. My mother was a Guerlain devotee. Her favorite scents were Vol de Nuit and L'Heure Bleue. I love them too. But these were my mother's perfumes. I wanted my own signature scent. When I took my first sniff of Mitsouko, it was true love. Yes, it may be a tad old fashioned compared to more modern fresh and transparent scents - but that is probably one of my favorite things about Mitsouko. It has a depth that feels mysterious( and actually "mitsouko" means mystery in japanese). Mitsouko is a truly beautiful classic fragrance and if you haven't tried it please do. It's a must for every perfumista!

26 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 April, 2011)

Grottola's avatar

Vintage Eau de Cologne

Mitsouko opens with a blast of peach, bergamot, rose, and spices with a weird lettuce-esque smell underneath it all. Once it settles down after a few seconds, a fuzzy peach, some peppery spicy notes, and a faint hint of indolic jasmine over a woody oakmoss base are what I smell. After about half an hour, the peach fades away gradually and the spices, woods, indolic notes, and oakmoss remain, slowly but surely. It has a very full, "plush" feel to it. This stage lasts for hours, a surprise for an Eau de Cologne. It is also at this point that I am somewhat reminded of Patou Pour Homme (also in the opening with the peppery notes), but quite faintly.

Mitsouko is a fragrant masterpiece, and now in my top 5. It truly is beyond gender, and just smells freakin' delish. It's not the kind of fragrance you would have to adapt to - it will adapt to you, and you can make it YOUR fragrance. Beyond gender, beyond season, beyond age, beyond time, and beyond great.

23 March, 2011

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

The first time I tried this, I didn't like it, thought it too old smelling and quite harsh on the nose. I tried it again a few weeks ago and have completely changed my mind. In a time when little girly pink bottles and scents seem to dominate, this is refreshingly enduring and not nauseatingly pink and flowery. I wore it to a cousin's wedding last weekend and was impressed at it's ability to take a subltle backstage to my outfit while remaining original and totally in a league of its own with regard to its almost mystical scent. Mitsouko to me smells timeless, speaks of seductive nights in a time and city long ago with strangers, of black lace, darkly painted fingernails and illicit liasons. Haunting and enduring, mmm...

07 March, 2011