Reviews of Fidji by Guy Laroche

Find out more about Fidji by Guy Laroche in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Colin Maillard's avatar

Fidji by Guy Laroche opens as a fresh, green, dense and "botanical" floral chypre, deep and textured, on a superb base of velvety dust, slightly animalic but radiant and powdery, supported by a woody-spicy axe with almondy nuances (heliotropin, I guess). What strikes me is a splendid, general, chic luminosity all over, greenish and floral, which does not contrast with the darker woody-resinous-animalic side, but instead completes them, or better say, the visual impression is that is almost "arises" from them. The name fits perfectly the scent, you are transported into a chypresque exotic ambiance refreshed by a fresh breeze, shady and mysterious but bright and lively, earthy and raw. All beautifully blended with a more classic, Western carnal soapiness and powdery opulence filled with chic and austere elegance. It may look like a clashing contrast, but as I said, it's not: it smells perfectly compelling and "compact". As minutes pass Fidji warms and softens, a soapy-dusty woody accord emerges while the "fresh" green and zesty breeze tones down and vanishes. A pleasantly modern scent, clean but raw, unisex and "young" somehow. Nothing stunningly new, but a smart, unique, classy and timeless range of variations on a classic theme – the feminine chypre. Effortless, exotic, lively rawness, Another underrated vintage gem from Guy Laroche.

8,5/10

09 August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Green Floral

Indolic tropical white flowers, galbanum, a touch of spice, and powdery aldehydes. It could have been unbearably sweet, heavy, and suffocating, but it’s delicate as Venetian glass. It could have been trite, but it’s elegant and spirited. What makes Fidji so special? “B and B” – balance and blending. Fidji’s central white flower accord is extremely smooth and seamlessly blended. Its strength is perfectly modulated for tantalizing sillage without overbearing weight. It contains just enough galbanum give it spine, just enough aldehydes to give it some olfactory “lift” and just enough sweetness to round off its edges. Finally, it does not simply go all t pieces in the drydown. Instead it very slowly reveals a waxen, warm, nutty accord of what smells like clean musk and sandalwood. It’s a wonder to me that Fidji remains so relatively obscure a fragrance.

13 June, 2014

rbaker's avatar

A Floral Top Note Delight

The top note is beautiful, when hyacinth combines with rose, and lemon and bergamot add a delightful freshness. In the drydown jasmine combines with violet and ylang-ylang and later wood and light musk notes are added. A powdery note that develops remains a bit bland, but is never cloying. Initially silage and projection are good, with a decent longevity of over four hours.

14 June, 2013

Sniffmonkey's avatar

This really took me back to my childhood in the '70's - I don't think my mum wore it, it must just have been very popular in general. It calls to mind the scent of lipstick and face powder and is comforting to me. I agree with other reviewers who mention L'Air du Temps - this is a similarly romantic, powdery floral. It's quite dense - a little bosomy and suffocating, in the way that hyacinths and oriental lilies and paperwhites can be. I enjoy this, but need to use a light hand when applying it.

16 February, 2013

mnaonbn's avatar

[Vintage Version]

Three minutes of hyacinth and oakmoss with a hint of aldehyde, followed by a cheap cacophony of ambiguous musky and sweet florals. Frankly, dated drugstore perfumes smell better than this. Perhaps nostalgia explains the rave reviews that I have both read online and heard in person. That aside, for a more on-point rendition of a hyacinth and oakmoss accord, I recommend Chanel Cristalle (in either the vintage or modern version).

31st December, 2012

Zut's avatar

I was not aware there was a new less interesting version of Fidji. If so, this is a shame. I loved the original 1966 version. IMHO, Fidji was one of the best green florals of that era. It was fresh and light yet very sensuous and intoxicating. Not too long ago, I was in a lift with a woman who was wearing the original Fidji. It brought back a lot of good memories.

07 September, 2011

sherapop's avatar

I was initially quite disappointed when I spritzed on some FIDJI from a recently purchased (and anxiously anticipated!) bottle of edt. The perfume did not bear much resemblance at all to my memory of my first encounter with a vintage sample of a perfume by the same name. I re-read my earlier gushing review of vintage FIDJI (at The Other Site) and realized at once that only reformulation could explain the disparity.

Upon seeing BayKAT's sage warning (in her review, below), I recognized that I had been played for a dupe. Yes, once again, I had been bamboozled into buying a 100ml bottle of a perfume based essentially on a lie, to wit: that the contents of this bottle, labeled FIDJI, were essentially the same as the contents of the sample vial which motivated me to seek out and acquire this perfume in the first place. Alas, FIDJI is not FIDJI anymore.

All of that said, I have to admit that now, having recovered from the initial shock of my dashed expectations, I do actually like the new FIDJI, for what it is: a relatively dry and green floral inching toward the chypre line (and boasting both oak moss and tree moss among its ingredients), but still spare enough to be more of a floral than anything else. A dry white floral with big jasmine and, it seems to me, neroli. This FIDJI (though I am tempted to refer to it now as FUDJI...) is a very nice, sprightly floral green. Neither opulent nor tropical in the least, this composition is closer to BALMAIN than it is to FRACAS: dry, crisp, and clean.

20th August, 2011

Darvant's avatar

Fidji is feminine, exotic and evocative, a spacious and optimistic creation which i always like to smell around (it's hard unfortunately). The spicy, citrusy opening discloses immediately a refined bouquet of royal iris, light aldehydes and sophisticated jasmine-rose duet. This introduction is soon airy, powdery/aldehydic, cool/dry and musky. The oakmoss-galbanum presence plays a notable role in the background of this glorious chypre. The spices embrace the floral bouquet and draw it towards a musky, ambery, mossy base with the woody texture from the note of sandalwood and the bold influence from a classic patchouli. The outcome is boise, musky, realistic and slightly floral, with an extremely refined floral touch and the exotic (vaguely soapy) ylang-ylang spark. The sillage is discreet but the aroma is tenacious.

17 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 November, 2013)

BayKAT's avatar

If you want to play with Fidji, you can not piddle around. Go straight to vintage parfum or EDC. Even vintage EDT is good, but modern EDT is a waste.

I think this bubbled up to my top three favorite, because I find myself wearing it three times a week. I'm lucky to wear one of my scents three times a month. I have two full vintage EDC bottles, so can happily coast along for a while.

There really isn't much to say about this besides 'it's one of the best perfumes ever made'. I love Sandalwood, and a green floral with sandalwood makes me melt.

I won't go on any further, however, since the vintage bottles are hard to come by.

23 January, 2011

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

I've had a nice little bottle of vintage Fidji in my collection for a while now. I got it a while back after reading all of the glowing reviews about it and felt thet I needed to have it in my collection of vintages. Today I decided to wear it after not reaching for it in a while, and I have to say that Doctor Mod hit the nail on the head in her review. It's nicc, but icy cold and inaccessible...just like Grace Kelly's image. I would expect a perfume called Fidgi to be much warmer and evocative of tropical ease and sensuality. This is too Upper East side for me.

21st January, 2011

Doctor Mod's avatar

I first became aware of the significance of perfume (on some adolescent level) in the late 1960s. I recently set about discovering (or rediscovering) the iconic fragrances of the period, hoping to catch a bit of the decade's élan vital that I remember with so much fondness. Perhaps I didn't quite arrive at it, though I remembered something curious that I'm yet at odds to explain.

I have read all these glowing reviews of Fidji, and find that after testing it three times, I just can't see (or smell) what others do. The notes would suggest something energizing and sparkling, but on my skin it's a bitter green floral--cold and aloof. Strange to say, I find the same bitter quality in a number of sixties haute couture fragrances, particularly some Diors, Givenchys, Carons, and Guerlains--and, when I search my memory, I can recall sniffing a number of bitter scents in the trendier department stores back then.

I don't know exactly why this was the case, although I suspect it was something I'd call the "Grace Kelly effect"--the somewhat haughty, glamourous woman whose aura said "gaze in admiration but do not touch." Such was the iconic image of chic sophistication in those days. Meanwhile, child of the sixties that I was, I went for the warm patchouli-based floral orientals. Years later, I've learned to appreciate the more "mature" scents of the past, undoubtedly as the result of age and experience. Even so, scents like Fidji still leave me cold--a sharp, bitter floral with a certain sophistication but nonetheless cold as ice, not warm and sunny like tropical Fiji (or, if you will, Fidji).

09 September, 2010

shrinkingviolet's avatar

A true classic, and I have no idea why I stopped using it after several years. I love the complexity which takes you on a sensual journey from the uplifting instant burst to the delicious sandalwood basenotes (I'm a bit of a sandalwood nut). I really must get some more.

06 July, 2010

A beautiful fragrance… a classic and discreet green floral. It opens fresh and clean with bergamot, hyacinth, and light citrus. In the background I get a soft rose and jasmine that rounds out the floral character. Some slight spices and the florals continue building the heart notes. The pyramid says clove for spice, but I find it hard to believe that clove could be this sheer… The powdery base presents patchouli, amber, and musk in a soft and sweet accord. Delicate sillage and near enough longevity …totally lovely.

01st February, 2010

shamaness's avatar

This is a passion that will never dim. Fidji is impeccable at every stage. I wear it in the tropical heat and it is absolute perfection. Never heavy or cloying. Always feminine and softly beautiful. It lasts and lasts. Which is wonderful as I never grow tired of catching wafts of such indescribable loveliness.

18 December, 2009

olfactorium's avatar

Belgium Belgium

about my emotions: this has made me think of times spent in one of the former soviet countries in the beginning of the 90's.Those posh overweight ladies somewhere in their mid 30's who just happened to get this as a gift that was cosidered to be of a divine value because by that time fidji was THE french perfume for ladies.And especially during hot summers whatever governamental institution one could ever visit back there, one would encounter a sweaty, "moisty" , almost puffing with steam administrator with a body full of redundant matter stretching her clothes who would smell of fidji and just because of this still have a trace of femininity.And curiously enough that smell was ubiquitous no matter what kind of institution or commercial enterprise one visited especially during summertime.
    about the perfume: to me it can not get any more simple and uncomplicated.The classics are always the best when it comes to the proportions.Everything seems to be so geniously harmonised and well orchestrated.I just didnt happen to encounter this kind of harmony in those modern female perfumes that i have sniffed so far. But still the main theme in fidji is this tropical sweaty-ness that on a woman looks incredibly attractive. If you are going to wear this, do it on a hto sunny summerday,maybe even to a beach. And from my experience i can tell, this suits any woman of any age.

14 December, 2009

kaori's avatar

Gift from my grandfather.... this scent always bring back fond memory with him. Gentle, fresh, & sweet scent make me smile.

19 January, 2007

's avatar

Fidji is one of the best classic perfumes from the 60's - it happened to be my first perfume, my mum bought me a bottle of it when I was 13....
    I still love Fidji, because it is a fragrance you can wear anytime and everywhere - it will never disgust anybody, offend anybody or provoke any unpleasant reactions -
    it is fresh and uplifting - a pleasure to be worn anytime
    Sadly enough, the "extrait" is very hard to find nowadays, Eau de Parfum has become rare, too - and what we are left with is an Eau de Toilette which has very poor staying power.

12 October, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 March, 2010)

VintageVogue's avatar

It's interesting to smell different interpretations of the tropics. Take, for instance, two opposite ends of that interpretation: Patou's Colony and Guy Laroche's Fidji. Both are well constructed, devastatingly gorgeous fragrances, yet are polar opposites. I'm not a huge fan of florals, especially fragrances that are straight up florals. But I make an exception for Fidji, and Fidji is a straight up floral. This is one beautiful fragrance. It's intoxicating without being overpowering. It's intensely feminine without being cloying. It's sweet without being syrupy. It has green notes, but they're subtle and well balanced. Lasting power is excellent. And what's more, it doesn't turn into something faunky on my skin. It reminds me of the smell experienced when one sticks one's nose into a tropical lily and inhales deeeply. I read somewhere that the formula of Fidji may have been changed recently. The mini I bought is probably the newer formula, if that rumor is true. Still, the fragrance is excellent and captures tropical paradise in a way the EL's Beyond Paradise misses. Fidji is a must try for floral lovers.

12 October, 2006

tvlampboy's avatar

Omigod -- this scrumptious stuff is almost enough to make me go straight. (Well, almost.) Sex in a bottle, pure and simple -- the woman who wears this stuff should have no problem whatsoever snagging any man she wants. (Well, within reason.)

Very green, very floral in its opening notes -- lots of aldehydes, I guess. The name is quite appropriate -- very tropical, very mysterious. And the drydown is SPECTACULAR -- wow! Incredibly longevity, and no cloying after-effects.

Gotta love this stuff -- hope Laroche never lets it go away. (Unlike the vile Drakkar Noir.)

29 September, 2006

sands1974's avatar

tropical blossoms, what smells like the glassiness of aldehydes, curling straight up into my nose's "yellow spot" and bringing me to faraway places, sandy beaches with cool clear azure water, mmmmm my first perfume from the roaring sixties and a meaty muscled stunner at that. has just that hint of the conservative fifties that boosts what i can only describe as a booming splash-up of notes that literally seem to spring from the base. josephine catapano is the perfumer that supported sophia grojsman in her early years, and somehow i can imagine that the woman who created fidji could inspire and nurture the woman who would later create tresor.
    michael edwards' perfume legends describes the notes composing this sixties wonder this way:
    top notes, galbanum and ylang-ylang, heart notes, bulgarian rose, clove (carnation), jasmine, tuberose, iris and spices, base notes, ambergris, balsam, musk, patchouli, and sandalwood (oh how sixties!). The top notes were revolutionary, in true sixties style, leafy-green galbanum and ylang-ylang combine to produce the effect of "the airy beauty of breezes in flowers"...A South Seas Island indeed: for about 35 dollars/30 euros I have been given a holiday the likes of which I am probably only going to be in state to enjoy in 20 years or so, and in this regard this little semi-ignored gem is prescient for me, and bringing me just a little bit of languid paradise in the last cold days of Dutch winter...

14 March, 2006

Inessa's avatar

Fidji is a refreshing, greenish composition from the house of Guy Laroche. Like all truly French fragrances of a begone era, Fidji changes its character significantly from the moment you dabbed it ontj the skin to its complete evaporation. You will travel through luscious landscapes of the namesake island step by step. Serene, poised and really good (especially 'parfum', which I'm not sure they make anymore).

01st March, 2006