Positive Reviews of Eau Folle by Guy Laroche

My review is for a vintage full mini bottle of the "Toilette Fraiche" with no discoloration, evaporation, or increase in viscosity. Despite that, I believe there to be a little bit of "vintage skank" at first, indicating a low level of damage.

This opens with a huge blast of blindingly sweet aldehydes atop lemon, bringing to mind vintage Climat edt. Very soon, though, the similarities end. Eau Folle immdiately launches into a dirty citrus with authentic animal notes. The "green" is in the form of Galbanum, to my nose. Not a fresh green, but an earthy, dark, mossy green. My best guess for the heart is a classical accord with Jasmine, LOV, & Rose. Base is Oakmoss, Civet, and maybe Patchouli. Overall impression is tart and dry, not oily, and definitely unisex.

This fragrance is intruiging and quite dated. The citrus/leather theme is one of my favorites- the notes cancel each other out in a way that both can be overdosed. See vintage versions of both sexes of Eau de Rochas, vintage Diorella, Eau Fraiche & Eau Sauvage, vintage Balmain Monsieur, Eau de Patou, Boss Spirit, and Eau de Fraicheur by Worth for comparisons. A difficult wear for anyone not a lover of vintage pragrances.
24th July, 2017
At first I assumed "Folle" meant "bird," as in "Cage aux Folles," but I learned that was incorrectly translated as "Bird Cage." "Folle" actually means "mad woman" or "eccentric woman." It can also mean an independent, unique woman, I imagine, by today's standards.

So, "independent woman water," eh? Not the most romantic or descriptive name available. This is a wonderful strong citrus, supported delicately by cumin and oak moss. Very unisex in today's world and reminiscent of my favorite Laroche, J'ai Ose. A real winner and a great summer scent, especially in the warm evenings.

I was lucky enough to find a two dram bottle of the edt on Etsy for a mere $15, so it is out there and very much worth trying.

Recommended.
26th July, 2016
Amazing they discontinued this gem... smells like Dior's eau fraiche also discontinued but not impossible to find. It echoes its time (1970's). Fresh lemony, like a field in the sun untainted by man.. but visited by precious fresh breeze carrying the most seductive of senses... if you are lucky enough to have stumbled upon it. I love it.... Have a 110ml bottle certainly an unusual size... perfect in every way and it didn't have to cost me a fortune like the discontinued dior...
31st January, 2007