Neutral Reviews of Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

Yet another of the Angel rip-offs!

Seemingly hundreds, perhaps thousands, of scents reviewed on Basenotes are rip-offs of Angel, yet hardly any of the noses who review here seem to comprehend this. I feel like a voice crying in the wilderness.

Why am I seemingly the only one who notices this trend? I begin to think I'm living in a twilight zone. Butterfly is a VERY BIG FRUITY GOURMAND, based entirely on Angel. More blasts of berry fruits taken to higher levels, going beyond the holiday potpourri spray and entering the stratosphere.

Even though I love the originality of Angel, I don't appreciate the laziness and irresponsibility of fragrance houses relying on the stupidity of consumers by sending out copy after copy.

Do not bother with Hanae Mori - buy the original!
01st March, 2016
This fragrance distinctly reminds me of the vanilla EDT from The Body Shop with super sweet fruity notes added to it. It also reminds me a lot of the Harajuku Lovers Lil' Angel fragrance. I actually like The Body Shop's vanilla fragrance quite a bit, but I've never been a fan of Lil' Angel. My body chemistry seems to bring out the candied fruit notes like crazy and I find the smell a little too overly sweet. This EDT would have been better (in my opinion) if the fruit notes were more subtle, the way they are in the Body Shop's vanilla EDT. I still don't dislike this scent enough to give it a thumbs down, but it's definitely something that I have to be in right mood for, because it's really not a subtle fragrance. However, I would definitely recommend it to the fans of Lil' Angel, and to anyone who really loves very sweet gourmand fragrances.
08th September, 2011
For the life of me I can't smell any fruity top notes on this scent. All I get are the spicy vanilliac notes in the base. Which are good, but the more I smell them the more they remind me of another perfume - Dior Addict.
27th May, 2011

Another generic fruity floral scent. I smell peach for some reason. I don't believe it is listed as a note but it is about all I enjoy in this. Nothing special here.
01st April, 2011 (last edited: 04th April, 2011)
This one is okay.  I was pleasantly surprised, as I don't like Hanae Mori on a blotter and I don't like it on the gal at work who wears too much on occasion.  Whatever it is that makes it smell like vanilla is smooth, easier on my nose than the sharp vanilla in Dior Addict. Its light, tropical fruits are blended in a way that makes it a little more sophisticated than the dessert scents it seems to want to be grouped with. It is a little bit refined despite itself. Hanae Mori is definitely at its best when applied sparingly. It is still just too sweet for me, though.
11th March, 2009
This is a pretty decent perfume. To me, it's very, very sweet and musky, and there isn't much development over the life of the perfume. It does have amazing longevity as it lasts longer on me than any other perfume I've ever tried. I like wearing it occasionally, but I probably wouldn't buy it again.
15th October, 2008
When I first smelled this, I was head-over-heels in love with it. Sweet and fruity and for some reason reminded me of fresh sassafras. I was addicted to it; my then-boyfriend loved smelling it on the sweatshirt I'd borrow. Then, I slowly stopped using it. When I tried to wear it again, it left a bad taste in my mouth all the way through the drydown until I had to take a shower. I've given it several more chances, but I just can't wear it anymore.
31st January, 2007
My kids call this "Batterfly" .
They first sniffed it out on me, saying "OH! You smell just like waffle batter"- a compliment, as
I do make these delicious waffles, & realize the batter does smell like Hanae Mori Butterfly. Pure vanilla extract, a few drops of pure almond extract, the smell of the batter as it slowly begins to warm up. Butter, eh, Batterfly! I got a large bottle of this as a gift, & can only wear it once in a while. Like other Sweet Baked Good scents, it will probably always be popular. A lot of People prefer yummy or refined or sexy.
09th October, 2006
It is okay for what I'd call a foody fragrance. If I had to choose a vanilla based perfume that was my favorite it would have to be this. On me it first turns to vanilla then to a vanilla/strawberry/sugary cream. If I liked foody scents this would be okay. Not my 1st choice; seems too Brittany Spearish.
13th February, 2006