Positive Reviews of Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

Find out more about Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

mariana's avatar

Brazil Brazil

A tasty and luscious gourmand vibe!

You may trust me: This is brilliant. Marvellous from the beginning to the end, creamy sandalwood plus a potent and succulent fruity vibe, a very tasty and special gourmand! EDP or EDT they are equally delicious. All thumbs up!

25 May, 2013

pussinboots's avatar

Ah, Hanae Mori Butterfly. I'll just admit up front that this was my signature perfume for almost 10 years. I like the EDP or Parfum best - not the EDT. I began wearing it in 1997 or 98, as a 23 year old girl in San Francisco. I carried a Hello Kitty wallet, worked in the videogame industry, dressed in girly little dresses & big motorcycle boots, had a short choppy red haircut and wore butterfly clips in my hair. This scent was PERFECT for me then - it evoked the Japanese-pop-culture-inflected gamine thing I was going for at the time. Now, as a late 30s wife and mother with a more classic style - I feel that I have thoroughly outgrown it - but I still find it charming and adorable.

As for what it smells like - this is a fruity oriental that is quite gourmand in character. Totally girlish and even childlike - and yet somehow it manages to be charming, comforting and a little sensual instead of trashy. (At least I think so - Katie Puckrick calls it "stripper perfume!") It was designed in 1995, when Angel was everywhere and everyone was playing catch up - and it's definitely a sweet, sweet, SWEET gourmand scent that is a distant cousin of perfumes like Angel and (groan, yes, it's true) Pink Sugar - while not smelling exactly like them.

This is essentially a strawberry-almond perfume. The base almond is so sweet that it becomes like marzipan or an almond-paste filled croissant. There is a buttery quality like baked goods. Together, this all gives an impression that's very similar to vanilla bakery + red fruit.

If you have ever been in a Japanese bakery that specializes in French pastry - and they have some of these in San Francisco's Japantown - it smells LIKE THAT.

The opening is HARSH - it has been compared to windex and hairspray by other reviewers, and I don't think they're wrong. It smells synthetic and tart to the point of being astringent. Yuck. Mercifully, this wears off quickly - especially in the EDP and Parfum concentrations, which are far smoother than the EDT and much superior, in my opinion. Top notes are red fruits - raspberry and red currant to begin with - and finally evolving into a strawberry. There's a blended floral heart - I can't put my finger on precisely what - but I think there's a rose that melds with the strawberry, then you get that sweet almond and a slightly woody base.

I find men love this stuff - my husband said I smelled like a "vanilla cookie" when we were young and dating, and a gay male friend once exclaimed "you smell like vanilla witchcraft!" when he went in for a hug. I have had men AND women stop me on the street to ask me what I'm wearing because they want to buy it. So it's got good sillage. It's also incredibly long-lasting - it really does go ALL DAY. So best to go light on the spray.

All in all, a lovely fragrance - but definitely cutesy. This is what Hello Kitty might wear on a date! Charming as all get out - but I think my days of wearing it are sadly over.

17 October, 2011

DahliaNoir's avatar

Sweet but not too sweet. The strawberry note is lovely and I detect a sweet sugar note. Love it.

23 September, 2011

asilverfire614's avatar

This was an unsniffed purchase for me that worked out beautifully...I absolutely adore this fragrance! When I first sprayed, I thought I detected some chocolate mixed in the the strawberry, but that faded rather quickly and turned into a strawberry/vanilla heart with sandalwood undertones. Very long-lasting, I applied yesterday afternoon and could still smell it on my arm this morning. A very balanced gourmand with just the right amount of fruit.

28 March, 2011

eris's avatar

Ah, Butterfly. This is the scent I put on just for me, because it evokes so many good feelings and pleasant memories. Fruity, girly, but tempered with just enough smoke to make it bearable--and I'm really not a fan of the sweeter scents.

My first boyfriend literally would not stop sniffing me when I wore it, and ever since then it's been my go-to. It should, in all fairness, be TOO candied and immature, but something about it, when worn by the right person, lends it a subtle kind of gravitas. It manages the overdone lychees-and-sugar without being cloying, and in the end it smells like coy, coltish sexiness. It's intoxicating while still being innocent, and for all of this, it remains my go-to.

On me, the EDT (my favorite of the formulations) starts off most noticeably with lychee, which gradually fades into a luscious "woodsy" smell, and finally wears down to a very warm musky incense that retains hints of both the lychee and the wood.

05 February, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 April, 2011)

Jitterbug Perfume Lover's avatar

I first smelled this on a woman walking down the hallway at school and it lingered and it was absolutely heavenly! I chased her down to find out what it was, and I immediately went out and bought it. On me, it doesn't seem to last very long (I have the EDP - blue), but that's ok. It's very comforting and warm. It's what I want to wear when I need to "hug my inner child". It's a Sunday lazy afternoon fragrance. Simple. Warm. Comforting.

20th September, 2010

Shifty Bat's avatar

I really like this one. Hanae Mori races out of the bottle with a lush, berry-driven sweetness which threatens to overwhelm when just in time the floral mid barricade is raised. And here it remains in this strange juicy/dry balance for no small time, allowing a delicious strawberry/rose accord to rise from what could have been a jammy mess (Lola). The light woody drydown is of great quality and each phase of the scent is well worth the wait. It also seems multi-seasonal, as well as multi-occasional, and it goes on for ages, so high marks all around from me.

04 June, 2010

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

Butterfly is definately a sweet gourmand scent, reminds me of almond cookies and vanilla extract for some reason. I do not like overly sweet scents, but I love this one....go figure! Maybe my tastes are changing? Very foody with amazing sillage and lasts a long time on me....I smell this for hours and hours. I do detect some ylang ylang and woods but very faint IMO. I find this scent sexy and playful and perfect for night or cooler weather as it is a little heavy. I just love this!

15 November, 2009

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

I have a sweet tooth for gourmand scent. And HM pink Butterfly (edt strength) is simply mouth-watering gorgeous. I can't resist sniffing my arms constantly. Today, I think I smell good enough to eat. lol. And that's a lovely thought.

09 April, 2009

purplebird7's avatar

Caution: Sweet alert. If you hate sweet fragrances, read no more. This perfume opens with a bubblegum note, and I like bubblegum. The name is misleading on my sample. It merely states “Hanae Mori” EDP. I don’t think it is the original 1965 fragrance, which was peach, patchouli, and vanilla, or I would be crazy about it. It must be the new Butterfly, which is strawberry, bilberry, black currant, rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, sandalwood, almond, and praline. At any rate, the fruit notes are indistinct; they may as well be peach. Together, they form a tutti-frutti concoction that is creamy and candylike. (I am surprised that this is Japanese; I thought they preferred clean, transparent scents, but this does fit in with their enchantment with all things “cute.”) It doesn’t do anything astonishing, but the pleasing bubblegum note carries on for a long time. It’s childlike and fun, and I can’t help liking it. It won’t replace Coco the more grown-up, fruity fragrances in my wardrobe, but I do enjoy it.

02 April, 2009

Aiona's avatar

Today I finally got around to sampling the Hanae Mori that someone sent me! I don't know why I waited so long. As soon as I sprayed it on, I started singing, "Sugar! Oh, honey, honey! You are my candy GIRL! And I can't stop lovin' YOOOO!"

It's got the same opening as D'Orsay Arome3. Pineapple! But unlike D'Orsay Arome3, the pineapple doesn't go away! It stays and stays and stays. It's almost 11 hours later, and I'm still smelling like a pineapple upside-down cake. I love pineapple upside down cake. How can there be no vanilla in this concoction? Amazing!

06 October, 2008

elgab89's avatar

This one is my safe blanket! Whenever I feel down, it is snowing (I am not fond of snow), everything looks gloomy I just spray a little of HM Butterfly and things look better. I remember my mom baking, childhood friends, my sister sharing her cake slice with me... This perfume makes me smile. Big thumbs up!

26 July, 2008

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

I echo the sentiments of Nlb's poetic review. This is an absolutely beautiful perfume which deserves time to develop on the skin to appreciate all its charms. It is one of my absolute favorite comfort scents, and never fails to lift my spirits. Just wonderful.

23 October, 2007

Elf's avatar

At first sniff this seems to be a grownup cousin of Pink Sugar but it is actually quite a bit more complex, and morphs considerably on drydown. Definitely gourmand, but with some dry woods and aldehyde added for balance. So if you like your vanilla, almond, and berries with a little something extra, this might be it.

09 February, 2007

TDDanae's avatar

I love this, my husband loves it. It is very feminine and light to me. It might be said that is smells a little like almond cookies or a bowl of berries drenched in almond and whipped cream, but it is not just this, it is such a pretty floral oriental with a little wood. It smells like almond cookies, like hypnotic poison smells a little like root beer freeze, but there is so much more to it than just food.

31st October, 2006

starskyee's avatar

A really sweet powdery fragrance, I knew I had to own a bottle. I really do love it, but I have to admit, that after awhile, I did grow a bit tired of it. It is a strong fragrance, so be careful not to overapply.
    If you like this fragrance, but don't like the price tag, I did discover something interesting several years ago. The clothing store Hot Topic sells a perfume called "ragdoll" there which smells so closely to my Hanae Mori, that I have been able to fool people with it many times. I can tell the difference, as the Hanae Mori is definitely richer, but it is an interesting likeness.

12 September, 2006

Nlb's avatar

At first spray, Hanae Mori "Butterfly" seemed pleasant but common enough. My jerk reaction: "Ah, another fruity gourmande scent". Although "HMB" was released amongst the cellophane freshness of '90s scents(reaching for chypre),the current market hasn't been lacking in those fragrances with "yummy" appeal.

Given this, I was a bit quick to disregard it and sniff onto the next.Things would've gone as usual, except...

"Hanae Mori" grew on me--hauntingly,in a sense. Without my realizing it,the smell developed like some luscious dessert baking on my skin. I would catch drifts of the creamiest, tartest confection I could ever conjure--it couldn't have seemed more provocative if it had a "drink me" sign floating above it, or had been sniffed out by truffle swine.

Just before I could grow sick of it's honeyed-sweetness, flashes of wood and sunlight sparked in my head and I felt like I was walking out of a hayfield into a forest.Berries and bark swirled my cilia, until I reached a dusky dry place, that manifested as...dried leaves...or the pollenesque wings of a butterfly. Amazing, really.

So that is what "Hanae Mori" is to me; flowerbuds in spring, the overipe sweetness and solar haze of summer, the spicy crispness of autumn, the luminous snowbank or holiday pie baking in the oven. It is a rare violin, an ancient nordic church on a hill of berries, the aura around a child amongst cherry blossoms or pop star posters in a plastic house. "Hanae Mori" is every story and will end up seeming all the more extraordinary because of it. It's sort of like becoming friends with a rare and unusual person--the kind you weren't sure you could trust at first, simply because she seemed too patient and gosh darn sweet.

08 September, 2006

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

I have looked so forward to trying this fragrances... especially after having heard so much about it and read all these rave review :) The funny thing is that on my first try I was even disappointed in it... Something about it was a let down; (that's what happens when I set myself up for something specific and then if it's even remotely off the target I feel cheated)... My husband loved it right away... I sprayed some on before bed the first day I got it, and his face instantly lit up like a little boy... all he could say was: "PETTIT BEURRE"!!!! Ohh you smell so good I could eat you!!!! You smell just like "PETTIT BEURRE"!!!! Well that made me laugh but it did not make me feel like this would be one of my snazzy complex fragrance I would wear and feel really sexy wearing... But I did wear it a couple of times on the weekends (for my DH) and enjoyed it well enough... This morning however, (it's pretty warm and sunny outside), I decided to spray some on before work... I walked to my office in the sun and all of a sudden I could smell sweet incense... sun warming my skin and Butterfly caressing me and flying into my hair... playing on my face :) I remembered instantly a vacation in Tunis when I was a little girl... Walking through the market... warm sun on my bare skin... light breeze in my hair playing with it... and sweet, sweet smell of spices and incense lingering in the air... I don't smell spices in Butterfly, but there is something, a lightest touch of incense there that shows up when your outside in the sun... That was what prompted this review and what will most likely have me wearing this wonderful fragrance thought the summer and having my buy bottle upon bottle again and again... (this review is for EDT... I do agree that it's fleeting and not very "strong" but that was what I actually enjoy about this particular fragrance... that almost far-away sense of fragrant air... elusive almost like it's hiding... but you know that it's everywhere around you).

16 June, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar

Shocking to discover this lovely fragrance has no vanilla notes within...however, there is a strawberry/almond blend that gives a distinct vanilla aroma!!! It is exquisitely blended, the fruity berry notes and the gentle sweet florals combine effortlessly with a connecting base of sandalwood. A quality modern day potion, worthy of praise from this perfume lover!

30th March, 2006

lucyhanako's avatar

The first fragrance I thought truly fit me. Like Hello Kitty but also with a serious side... sweet and elegant, and more complex than the first whiff would indicate... I love the strawberry in this, and keeping the sweetness all the way down to the basenotes with the praline and almond is wonderful... and I agree with calchic, a little goes a long way with this one, which is just right.

26 February, 2006

calchic's avatar

I love this fragrance with all my heart ONCE I get past its very aggressive and sharp opening, which never fails to remind me of Windex. (Is that the fault of the topnote of bilberry? I'm going to go ahead and say yes, since it's the one note in the mix that I don't "know" as an individual. Bad bilberry!) I've worn HM through the years in both EDT and EDP combos, and it's an exquisitely adult confection, couture candy with a very real and sensual underlying warmth. Sidenote: to be applied and enjoyed in small doses - do not overspray this one. I've experienced it on others when overapplied and it's not pretty, trust me. Kills the whole effect. Like all great fragrances, a few touches of this, applied in the proper places, takes you through the day in the manner of an exquisitely rendered designer ensemble.

07 September, 2005

Quarry's avatar

Sweet strawberry cotton candy with a little wood. Hanae Mori is extraordinarily popular, and many men love it (my husband is not one of them). You may find it cloying or too foody a fragrance. I'd peg it as a young woman's scent. It's fairly simple, but has good staying power. I find Chopard's Mira Bai more interesting. I highly recommend comparing samples of each.

12 August, 2005

RoseAmber's avatar

Sweet, pretty, feminine, elegant, and classic...I love Butterfly edt and it's a staple in my fragrance wardrobe. Whenever I want a "pink and white" mood, I spray Butterly Pink! It's a sweet fragrance, but its woodsy drydown keeps it from being cloying, and gives it depth.

11th June, 2005

LJHardy's avatar

I was given a sample of this fragrance five months ago, and it was the first fragrance I've ever tried that I loved straight away. In fact as soon as I'd used up the sample I went out and bought it. I've hardly worn any other fragrance since! People are always asking what perfume I'm wearing when I have this on, and use words such as "sexy" and "subtle" to describe it.

19 April, 2004