Positive Reviews of Helmut Lang Woman by Helmut Lang

Find out more about Helmut Lang Woman by Helmut Lang in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

alfarom's avatar

Musc Ravageur's sister. No doubts. In my vision Helmut Lang EDP was Roucel's prototype for his much more hyped Musc Ravageur. Replace the cinnamon/spices combo of the Malle with slight yet spohisticated floral patterns, tame it down a little bit et voilà, here's Helmut Lang EDP.

Same dirty/clean vibe, same overall allure. Simply brilliant and undeservedly overlooked. Terrific!

05 May, 2012

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

This is a brilliant fragrance and shamefully discontinued. It's another fine demonstration of M. Roucel's talent, and so much better than much hyped HL Cuiron...

Somewhat similar to Musc Ravageur, not that suprisingly. But I like this a tad better because it's not as loud. You know, musk scents are at their best when they wear close to skin without too overwhelming sillage.

HL Eau de Parfum is mainly a mixture of candyfloss vanilla and french herbs with animalic trace of jasmine-civet-patchouli accord. The overall impression is of high quality natural musk, or the cotton candy served in a heavenly funfair.

Long lasting pleasure.

This is marketed to women, but don't be fooled: It's based on HL Cologne (for men) but only with more intense concentration. Totally unisex and wonderful perfume in general.

05 March, 2011

varvara's avatar

this is such a comfort scent! addictive too. a cotton note comes into this with lavender and creamy--did i say CREAMY? because i mean a creamy vanilla.
    i have no problem layering this with a single floral note perfume oil. i can't imagine anyone getting offended with this subtle, sweet and sexy gem.
    the only problem i have with this perfume is it being more difficult to find than these five pounds i'm trying to lose.

03 August, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Helmut Lang Eau de Parfum/Helmut Lang Woman

In 2000 Helmut Lang had Maurice Roucel create two scents for each gender Helmut Lang Man and Woman. In reality they were two different strengths of the same scent with Man being the eau de cologne version and Woman being the eau de parfum version. It is curious that a brand like Helmut Lang which was known for its androgynous clothing designs actually made an effort to gender classify their signature scent. It is equally curious why he chose M. Roucel to design these scents as his scents have a lushness to them that also seems to be the antithesis of the Helmut Lang design aesthetic. Especially since these two scents are really only different in their emphasis on certain notes I find that I prefer the Eau de Parfum version as it has a strength to it that appeals to my aesthetic. The top starts out with a soft entry on a wave of florals dominated by jasmine and lily. This is a fleeting short-lasting top as the real business of this scent takes hold as musk and rose hold sway in the heart. This combination reminds me very much of Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan as it contains many of that scents deeper muskiness without the intensity present there. The base of this is a creamy mixture of vanilla and woods including sandalwood mostly but joined by some cedar to add some clearly defined lines to the woodiness. Helmut Lang EDP is mostly about musk, on me, and it comes off light and appropriate for daily wear. Where I would never think about wearing Muscs Kublai Khan into the office I happily wear this one. Does that make Helmut Lang EDP, Muscs Kublai Khan Light?

07 June, 2009

moss1310's avatar

My first Helmut Lang experience was with Cuiron, which I hated. I couldn't understand what the raves were about. So I was hesitant to try this, but thank god I did. It is truly amazing. Everso's review is spot on. This is a rich, creamy, sophisticated musk. I like Musc Ravageur, but when I am in the mood for that I will go to this now. When I have it on, I can't help but sniff myself. I am sure I look ridiculous, but this scent is addictive and very unisex.

15 April, 2009

everso's avatar

this is BY FAR the sexiest musk scent in the world.....EVER. forget all the Musc Ravageur overhyping nonsense....THIS is the real deal. the creamiest, most well balanced, complex, and dynamic musk you'll ever smell. The people behind these Helmut Lang scents were geniuses.....HUGELY recommended.

16 December, 2008

tuffpup29's avatar

Loved this and bought it around 6 years ago after my ex boyfriend wore it. I find it to be an amazingly sensual smell and really gets me in the mood! I'm in to my gourmand fragrances and love the buttery texture to this smell.

Just wish I could get it now in the UK! If you know where it can be purchased please tell me!

05 October, 2008

JaimeB's avatar

This is a very well-blended vanilla-based oriental. The harmony is so tight that it is difficult to pick out a lot of the individual notes. The "cotton" note is vaguely present as a kind of "clean linen" or "fresh laundry" vibe, which does come across a bit in the top note. The overall impression from this is of a more-than-typically fresh and slightly floral vanilla. It's the sort of thing that might be a daytime office scent, or a subdued evening fragrance. Not something I'd wear a lot, but definitely good to have on tap.

29 September, 2008

bbBD's avatar

As a big fan of the EDC I've been looking forward to trying the EDP, especially because longevity is the biggest problem with the EDP. First off, this is not the exact same fragrance as the men's version, but more concentrated... close but not exact. They are both blended such that individual notes are not immediately evident.

Whereas the EDC starts out with the 'sharper' notes (jasmine? rosemary?) from the get-go, the EDP starts more softly, with the florals more prominent, and the woody and patchouli notes present themselves later. Most people immediately recognize the buttery feel of this fragrance... what creates this buttery effect is the combination of musk, heliotrope and vanilla. The more I wear it the less I interpret the scent as 'butter'. I believe the EDP is less 'buttery' anyway.

Rounding out he musk are some light florals - lily of the valley and rose. Lightly piercing through the musk and florals are woody notes of cedar, patchouli and sandalwood. Of course this really is a skin scent, and on me the sandalwood is particularly evident and sharp - almost spicy. HL does not present itself this way on my girlfriend at all. The florals persist longer, and are more noticeable, in the EDP. Overall either version is unisex. Seeing as though Dior Homme has made it ok for guys to florals, HL really was ahead of its time.

As of this writing both versions are getting harder to find and the cost is going up. If you're interested I'd recommend checking HL out before it becomes elusive.

23 August, 2008

Habitrouge's avatar

The scent of licorice is so overwhelming and otherworldly that I relish Helmut Lang when I decide to wear it. I’ve selected the word “when” because for as in love as I am with this scent, I cannot possibly put it on everyday. At work, I found the scent cloying, taking on a perfumed funk as my day progressed. If you work in an uptight environment, Helmut Lang Parfum is definitely going to freak-out your co-workers…on second thought, maybe that’s what you’re looking to do. However, Helmut Lang Parfum wears a different mask in the evening hours; the perfect scent for daring behavior at sundown or seeking out thrills on the back of a motorcycle or just a wonderful fragrance for a beautifully cool and breezy night of art gallery openings.

20th January, 2007

rach2jlc's avatar

Delicious is an excellent description for this scent. I don't think it's really a typical gourmand, but it does have a soft, buttery warmth to it that feels very soothing and appealing. It has a different feel than the EDC, but definitely related (something like how Opium EDT and EDP or Bandit EDT and EDP are similar, but have different "dynamics.")

What it shares with the EDC is that it is very personal and, like Lang's fashion, creates an understated mood without overpowering anybody 100 yards away. My only hope now that Lang's clothing brand has been picked up by new buyers is that they'll also purchase the fragrance license and re-release it. The EDP, EDC, and Cuiron are perhaps the best designer scents in the past decade and it's a SHAME they disappeared along with Lang from the scene.

07 January, 2007

siren65's avatar

absolutely delicious. I loved it when it first came out and saved my money for a big bottle. I sensuous and sexy, has notes that remind me of Santa Maria Novella Heliotropo and Agent Provacateur, although more vanilla in HL.

23 March, 2006

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Similar to the mens version but stronger, naturally. Very well suited for layering with the edc, that blend becomes more than just the sum of it's parts. Wonderfully ambigous and decadent, the ultimate MUSK -ride.

22 September, 2005

lilypaddles's avatar

Wonderful scent !!! I'd classify this as more of a comfort scent, at least to me. I actually don't get any of the top notes in this, or if so, they disappeared pronto. What I get mostly is a very comforting sandalwood scent, with a feel of added musk, with light vanilla to sweeten it all.

20th August, 2005