Negative Reviews of Le Feu D'Issey by Issey Miyake

Find out more about Le Feu D'Issey by Issey Miyake in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

queen cupcake's avatar
    queen cupcake

I wanted so much to like this fragrance after reading reviews here. I have a lot of respect for Asha's and Somerville Metro Man's views. And vic2007, odd is a kind word for how this one strikes me. Alas for me, the putrid phase never passed. I've tried it several times now, and on my skin, this scent sends out pickled peppers, then Vick's cough drops. From there, I get something vaguely interesting like blackberry jam but also plastic or mimeograph fluid. Only readers of a certain age will recognize the latter reference. ;-) Using up the last bit of my Issey sample vial, I sprayed my left arm with it. On my right arm, L'Artisan Perfumuer's Piment Brulant. I mean, if it's pepper you want, that's the one to try. One and a half hours later, the Issey is wafting something like the cough drop with a little vanilla, maybe some rose, and something I cannot identify but don't like. The Piment Brulant is still sending out the chili pepper vibe, along with something less sweet than Le Feu. Admittedly, I am not a very sophisticated or experienced sniffer--give me some time. I understand that Le Feu D'Issey is currently discontinued. This does not break my heart. Now I have to go scrub my left arm. I will, however, look into trying other creations by Issey Miyake.

18 October, 2009

Anthodesmi's avatar
    Anthodesmi

I was curious to try a perfume that's been described as 'created by someone with a sense of humour'. But after I'd spritzed some on, I realised the joke was on me. Oversweetened reconstituted orange juice and soured milk, anyone? Actually, make that vitamin-C chemical orange taste plus rancid butter with a bit of liquid fabric softener thrown in. Not very appetising. On some people apparently it's very peppery, but I only wish I could detect some of the putative clean-smelling Sichuan peppercorns through this household mess.

10th April, 2006