Neutral Reviews of Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

Find out more about Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

JackTwist's avatar

On me this is a rather heavy oriental, dark and serious. Not exactly unpleasant, but not outstanding in any way.

Top notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin, Neroli
    Middle notes: Rose de Mai, Muguet, Lilac, Orris, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang
    Base notes: Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Benzoin, Melilot (Clover), Tolu Balsam

Barbara Herman finds it has a powdery sweetness, reminiscent of beeswax. This effect does not occur to my nose on my skin.

It's not at all bad, it's just not that outstanding.

11th July, 2014

jasminegreentea's avatar

England England

I own the vintage juice and it smells exactly the same as vintage Cotys L'aimaint and l'aimant last longer on me. Bought this blind because of reviews was a bit disappointed, dont quite know what I was expecting, something richer and heavier because I do love silllage monsters. Save your money and find vintage coty instead.

22nd March, 2013

Ralph's avatar

EDC:

If you put Muscs Koublai Khan through Photoshop - dropping the saturation a fair bit, adding a layer of powdery white at about 30% opacity, pasting in a sharp neroli note at the opening from somewhere - you'd end up with something like Bal à Versailles.

I can see why a lot of people love this, sure: there's a bewitching and reassuring feel to it beyond the opening notes.

It ain't me though, nope, it sure ain't me.

01st June, 2011

lmsusan's avatar

This used to be one of my mother's favorites. I bought it and it smells different from what I remember. I've only tried it once and it had kind of a plastic smell at first but better after a while. I need to try it again to make a final decision.

01st September, 2009

cestrenee's avatar

this smelled a bit like wee-scented leather on me for a bit, which really turned me off. then warmth and incense. a nice affair, but nothing to write home about, particularly the wee part.

21st November, 2008

doppelganger's avatar

I agree w/ the rockstar on the old elementary school smell. Is it the chalkboard? This scent does not agree w/ me in the bottle nor when I wear it. The floral is musty and elderly floral print. I might try it again in ten years. As renperd said- I want to like it too! I'm sure I sound like an unrefined ignoramus, but I really do not understand. Sorry. I am neutral only because it is more my particular chemistry rather than the quality of the scent that is the problem.

20th November, 2008

NebraskaLovesScent's avatar

I found old classics agree with me these days better than many new scents. I bought a mini of this one with high hopes, and I'm still not sure what to make of it yet. I really like the dry-down's animalic notes. Not nuts at this point about the flowery opening, which smells like little old ladies to me. It might grow on me. I think it's worth a few more wearings to decide.

27th August, 2008

purplebird7's avatar

I puzzled over this one. It doesn't seem to focus on me. It starts with an old-fashioned light, floral accord, like a bouquet, then it adds a sharp, almost salty tang like Caron Alpona, and then it mellows out into a skin scent that is interesting but neither earthy nor animalic, like others have reported. It is underwhelming. I do better with a more distinctly defined fragrance.

18th July, 2008

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

It sure smells like the classic it is. A traditional soapy/powdery floral, much like some of the old Carons, only less metallic, with a warm, ambery/sandalwoody/musky base. A very warm and "round" scent, nothing stands out except maybe for a certain green/soapy sharpness. The oriental base really adds to the somewaht old-fashioned florals.

04th March, 2007