Neutral Reviews of Enjoy by Jean Patou

Find out more about Enjoy by Jean Patou in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

foetidus

Another fruity - floral: not my favorite category so that should be taken into consideration. Enjoy opens more fruity than floral and there’s a somewhat synthetic feel to the pear and citrus that take prominence for a short time. But a few minutes into the opening, the accord becomes more true… more natural: The accord evens out with the florals establishing more of a presence than they had in the very beginning. The movement into the heart level is smooth and seamless. The middle is a beautifully mixed floral with rose and jasmine presented in a soft but solid accord: By now the fruity elements of the opening are gone and I can enjoy Enjoy. It takes a long time to get to the base – this is a substantial fragrance and it claims its own with no problem. The base is beautiful, too: patchouli for wood combined with musk, vanilla, and amber for sweet and breadth of olfactory emanation.

I like the floral heart the best, but even that seems to be missing the special greatness of the usual run of Patou fragrances. Enjoy is a beautifully competent fragrance, but it doesn’t rise above competence. I expect more from Patou, but, compared to most fragrances of this sort, and considering my usual standards, I have to admit it probably deserves a thumbs up. Strong fragrance… strong sillage… lasts forever.

21st October, 2009

Midnight_lulu's avatar
    Midnight_lulu

There is a loveliness to "Enjoy" that's hidden beneath blankets of hedione and cloyingly synthetic berry---you can almost feel the tart and creamy green banana note, struggling against hyper-dry aldehydes in order to reach the surface. I can't help but think "No! That's my favorite part of 'Patou' blends---the banana paste undertone that adds just the right hint of jammy-cream sweetness and honey, without the syrupy-stickiness of it! Don't drown that banana in 'Windex' !" Patou stands apart from other brands by integrating leisure, luxury and lazy-day intimacy into all their blends---"Enjoy" has less of that than the others, conjuring up images of "Victoria's Secret" sensibility and characterless worksuits of the 90's. However, it is, at moments, of a crystalline, chypre quality, reminding me faintly of "Miss Dior Cherie". Other times, "Enjoy" invokes the cool mustiness of a smoker's air conditioned home. Overall, "Enjoy" is pretty, astringent in a vintage face-powder, lipstick and nylons sort of way and not a bad option for people who find the sunshine-baked carnality of other Patou blends, a bit too much to carry off. I can't offer it as a total "thumbs up", as Patou's recent "Sira des Indes" is sensationally delicious and more in tune with the aesthetic sensibility of Patou; Crisp, preppy sportswear with art deco lines, against the hedonistic lushness of exotic destinations and their gourmand delights. If it dosn't smell like an olfactive interpretation of art deco sunbeams or conjure up images of 1920s-30s travel posters, it isn't fully Patou. Thankfully, dry oil and pasty tartness of green banana saves "Enjoy" from being deemed counterfeit.

04 May, 2009

ghotio's avatar
    ghotio

Nice fresh perfume that smells rich, classy and expensive, but I can't get pass the headachy smell of the aldehydes.

12 February, 2007

Salomanda's avatar
    Salomanda

I received this as a gift and loved it at first, but it just does not work with my body...it becomes very floral and astringent on me and gives me a headache. I have this problem with most florals, I've given them up for good. It's a nice scent, just doesn't work for me.

23 March, 2006

vicky's avatar
    vicky

Great new fragrance in the Jean Patou range. It is soft and floral and pretty! More for daywear than evening.

27 December, 2003