Positive Reviews of Enjoy by Jean Patou

Enjoy was the sequel to a trio of perfumes from 2001 that launched Jean-Michel Duriez as in-house perfumer at Jean Patou. Pan Ame, Hip and Nacre were all fruity-florals centered on a pear note. Of the three, I’ve only smelled Pan Ame, which was clearly a precursor to Enjoy. 2001 was a tough year to re-launch a traditional house and reframe it as modern and accessible. I doubt it helped that the three perfumes were all in the same genre and shared the same uncommon note of pear. I imagine it was an attempt to create a signature house accord in one fell swoop. An unsuccessful attempt—all were fairly quickly discontinued.

Enjoy was an early version of the so-called “nouvelles-chypres” of the time like Miss Dior Chérie (2005) and Narciso for Her (2004). These perfumes substituted a musky patchouli base for the verboten oakmoss of the traditional chypre. The style now seems dated and era-specific, but Enjoy was one of the more successful iterations of the style.

Enjoy builds on Pan Ame’s unripe pear, grounding it in a clean patchouli base. The grainy pear note is balanced by crunchy blackcurrant on one side and an acetone musk on the other. The floral notes, jasmine and rose, have a high-piched synthetic tone that give a tinny quality to the heartnotes. The kicker is an unripe banana note that falls in line with the blackcurrant, tracing a starchy green line through the duration of the perfume. It’s a note that Duriez would set in a tropical floral, creamy woody setting in 2006’s Sira des Indes.

Compared to the syrupy fruity-florals of its time, Enjoy was considered a bit unsmiling and tight-assed. Even from the perspective of 2016, it seems a bit prim, if balanced. There is a sweetness to the perfume, especially in the drydown, but it has a saccharine quality that keeps the fruit from having a three-dimensionality. Enjoy doesn’t hide its artificiality. It molds the high-pitched florals and grainy fruits into a crystalline configuration that suits the perfume’s sharp edges.

Duriez authored the fabled Yohji Essential and Yohji Homme at the end of the 1990s, the same time he made Un Amour de Patou and Patou For Ever. Yohji Yamamoto’s perfumes were made by Jean Patou and his work for both houses were the launch pad for his taking on the in-house post at Patou that Jean Kerléo was to relinquish in 1999.

All of Duriez’s perfumes for Patou have all been discontinued, wiping the Patou pears from the market. Coincidentally, this means that none of the perfumes from Proctor and Gamble’s ownership of Patou (2001-2011) remain in the line-up. After Duriez left Patou, the company took a different direction under perfumer Thomas Fontaine and owner Designer Parfums Limited, recomposing nine Patou perfumes originally released from the 1920s-1980s. The current line-up consists of this Heritage Collection, the seminal Joy, and two perfumes from the Kerléo era, 1000 and Sublime. However it came about, the Patou brand turned away from creating new perfumes and made itself into a museum. It is an open question what direction the brand will take in the future.
23rd February, 2016
I really like EnJoy . It's a really ,really pretty rose scent on me. Yes it IS a bit synthetic but I find it to be within tolerable limits. The opening is lovely fresh roses ,after awhile it either is more skin scent on me or more probably my nose is tired . But when I walk around shopping I'll get a whiff of something that's just BEAUTIFUL and wonder what it is . Until I realize that the scent trail I smelled was my own. I have a FB and a mini and lotion( true to the scent and well scented , penetrates well but doesn't moisturize all that much) and shower gel ( haven't tried it yet). I may back up EnJoy a bit as it appears to be getting axed from the lineup ( or up for reformulations due to EU over regulation ) .
23rd June, 2014
Do you wear it well? In the end your body chemistry decides and if you wear it well you should charge through the hordes like Boudica, head high, trailing sillage. I may well buy this again as it is the most complimented perfume I have ever worn. I thought it was a bit young for me and I quailed. Tonight, in an Italian restaurant, a woman close to my age arrived in a thermonuclear cloud of, I think, Agent Provocateur. I think I will enjoy Enjoy and do my best to wear it well
27th April, 2013

A soapish beging but in a few seconds
dries to a scent of black current tart
and suble sweet banana it's refreshed
with cassia and orange to make it zesty
and the pear makes it smooth. for me
in perfumes i'v always have a hard time
detecting eather the rose or the jasmine
notes. the drydown is with the usual
mix of amber and musk with an occasional
vanilla.
09th October, 2010 (last edited: 12th December, 2010)
too much patchouli...
08th April, 2010 (last edited: 26th January, 2011)
I think this is a greatly underrated fragrance. I put it in the same fun, bright, confident and slightly vulgar category as Gucci's Rush. It's very fruity with tropical overtones but anchored by a welcome blast of dry earthy patchouli, which makes it an instant confidence booster suited to bare skin and hot weather. Enjoy is just short of loud on me and, surprisingly, given the alpha nature of its components (banana?), never cloys. it has excellent lasting power and a nice slightly smoky caramel drydown. I emptied a bottle a few summers ago and will probably buy another. (Joy fans be warned: apart from the name, there is no discernible relationship with that grande dame.)
02nd August, 2009
Poor red-headed stepchild! I think EnJoy is unfairly being rated against big sister Joy. I like it. It's very well blended and complex. More "modern", less "perfume-y" smelling than Joy. I find it sweet without being cloying at all. I definitely recommend you give it an honest try before dismissing it.

The notes came out backwards on me. I smelled the floral heart notes first - but that may be because I adore rose and jasmine, and instinctively seek them out in any fragrance. The florals lasted about 45 minutes. Now, an hour later, I smell the top note fruits balanced on the patchouli/musk base. Florals mostly all gone. I get more of a "peach" smell than anything else. Otherwise, I can't really single out a particular fruit, but I don't find any "bananna" note at all. This is a good thing as far as I'm concerned as I was rather dreading that note. Hints of nice vanilla.

I love a perfume that evolves well on me, and this is definitely one of them.

This is my second try, and I'm hooked. While I like big sister better, EnJoy is lovely enough that I'm now looking to buy a bottle. 2 thumbs up!
02nd August, 2009
I consider this my signature scent. The first 1-2 minutes the fragrance is almost cloyingly sweet, but the base notes are gorgeous, subtle and lasts all day. It's a great everyday perfume for me, and I get tons of compliments from both men and women when I wear it. However, I've heard it reacts very different on different people (my friend tried it when she was visiting and had to scrub it off after a few minutes. It smelled like mildewed cedar on her), so I would definitely sample it on yourself before purchasing a bottle.
18th January, 2009
The smell is anoying during the first 2-3 minutes but after that it makes me enjoy every minute i wear it. Not appropriate for the summer but Enjoy lights up the winter cloudy days in my mind.
13th August, 2008
Tovah Show all reviews
This is NOTHING like Joy to me. Enjoy is:
1. Underrated
2. A fun, sexy tropical floral that can be worn anytime, anywhere.

If you're looking for Joy-Legere, this is not it. If you're looking for a sultry, tropical top-note, sexy woody drydown scent - do give this a try. It's wonderful!
21st December, 2006