Reviews of Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

Find out more about Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

yrogergmc's avatar

Pleasant rose-floral scent

This is so nice! I keep smelling my hand. It doesn't fit in any category I can think of, except maybe "daytime wear." I barely smell the anise (thank goodness); on me, the rose takes the floor. This is a nicely made, unusual rose perfume. I honestly don't smell anything like an Oriental side, though - it's all sweetness and flowers on me. I could wear this when I want a perfume I don't have to think about much. A nice "background scent." Definitely would be good sprayed on clothing.

Pros: Develops well, nice combination of notes
    Cons: More floral than Oriental (if that's a con)"

15th October, 2013

blood-orange's avatar

To clear up any confusion that this review may bring about, I have tried the EDP concentration of Classique, in a woman's torso shaped bottle with intricate, lace-like detailing. From what I've heard, the EDT and EDP are two entirely different scents.

This fragrance is a warm floral. It speaks to me as the essential feminine scent, one that is indeed very classic in its appeal. It does have a rather oriental feel, possibly due to the anise, ginger, plum, vanilla and amber.

Classique is often difficult to describe. It's recognizable in the sense that it's a popular scent, however when worn on the skin it stirs up so many different opinions. I enjoy Classique, I also find it worthy of its acclaim.

This fragrance is heavy, but show me one fragrance that has lasted decades which isn't. It's a mixture of rich floral accords, subtle spices and an interesting creamy sweetness. While I do love this composition, I must admit that the sweetness doesn't work too well with my chemistry.

A wardrobe classic but also perhaps a little overworn, Classique is in my opinion, a love it or a hate it. The same could be said of its male counterpart, Le Male. It's thankfully everything I hoped it would be; sexy, rich, floral and feminine. The perfect fragrance to represent a true woman.

04th April, 2012

Darvant's avatar

Fruity, citrusy, boozy, cool (almost gassy-star anise-orchid) and balanced, a surprise for me. The sweetness is measured, the balsams do not overcome the borderline. The key notes are pear liqueur, plum and the anise to me, apart from the orangy and the ambery-vanillic  characterizing accords.  This juice is basically a gingery, rosey, orangy, plummy and anisy amber with a soft widespread "muskiness" in its body. The role of ginger, plum, orange and orchid is notable cause the previous notes imprint a sort of fruity-floral soaring, "gassy" and projecting airy temperament. There is some fruity booziness around because of the pear liqueur and licorice accord, while the widespread laundriness (bath foam kind) is made from the chord of balsams, iris and ylang-ylang. There are some floral notes indeed and may be a whirling tasty cinnamon around. The link of rose, ylang ylang, iris and anise is uber feminine, romantic and exotic, so modern over a soft ambery base. The dry down is averagely dry and powdery of woods, with an orangy-anisy and "simil berries" vibe over a soft musky and vanillic bed. Many modern following ambery-vanillic fragrances drew inspiration by this inspired "old" scent. A bit lacking of boldness and elegance but captivating for sure. Not bad.

26th February, 2012 (Last Edited: 26th August, 2012)

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Gorgeous, magnetic, powerful, sensual, animalic...all you could wish for in a scent...

Fantastic longevity and sillage...

Can you beat it?...not really...

Double big thumbs up...!!!

14th May, 2011

kauinca's avatar

Wow, I love JPG Classique edt! I purchased it when it first came out in the early 90s (before it was called Classique, just Jean Paul Gaultier), and am still on my original bottle. I remember trying it at Nordstorm for the first time - that warm, spicy and slightly nail polish scent - it was so different! I find I can only wear JPG Classique in cooler weather, and I do have to be in the mood as sometimes it can be too strong and cloying for me. (hence the reason I'm still on the original bottle) But, when I'm craving JPG there is nothing else that comes close or can satisfy that warm feeling that it brings as it envelops me in it's rich spiciness. It's so beautifully balanced that I don't notice any one note, and it doesn't come across particularly floral, just a fab oriental!

25th March, 2011

Jitterbug Perfume Lover's avatar

This perfume is made for a woman who is strong AND feminine, elegant AND powerful. It is so unapologetic, so feminine, so sultry, so voluputuous and so bold. I love this scent and when I wear it, I am transformed.

I feel like Bettie Page in my pink satin lingerie, or maybe Etta James singing "A Sunday Kind of Love" with that deep soul voice, or maybe Mata Hari on a mission.

This scent transforms me into a woman who isn't afraid to use what she's got to get what she needs or wants; a woman who is is well aware of the power of her femininity and uses it as a cherished asset. A woman who is young enough to be playful and to enjoy the fun in life, but old enough to know the exact depth and breadth of her passions. A woman who whispers the secrets of the universe into your ear, while wearing black Christian Louboutin pumps and bright red lipstick. She's got you right where she wants you and you're a pawn in the chess game of her life. She could either choose to love you as you've never been loved before, or play with you like a cat plays with a mouse before it eats it, but either way, it's going to be her way......

This is definitely the scent to wear on a date, but only after several months of dating - when you want to make something magical happen, when you want him to be eating out of the palm of your hand.

12th February, 2011

singer74's avatar

This is a nice soft scent, if a bit sweet. I agree that come summer it will probably be heavy, but now in the dead of winter I'm really liking it. It won't be my everyday thing, but it's nice for going out to dinner or to a party.

02nd February, 2011

Bonoanimoes's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

What a lovely scent, so feminine, sexy, powerful, self confident, provides woman some sense of self confidence, very addictive, it's not a light sent, maybe a bit heavy, but not in a bad way. Although, I would not advise it, for warm days wear, it brings me some very nostalgic memories of warm afternoons in Brazil...
    Definitely a must have on every classy, sexy woman perfume's collection! No questions about it!

27th January, 2011

Odile's avatar

EDP = vile. I tested the EDT in a duty free shop while traveling, loved the clean, shower-fresh feminine vibe of it. I either grabbed the wrong one, or must have thought that the EDP would be the same fragrance, just more concentrated with better longevity. Boy was I wrong. Others have pointed out that the EDP is a totally different animal; I would argue a stinkier, less desireable animal at that. If I had to sum this scent up in one word it would be sour. Sour, boozy spoiled fruits with acetone, cheap talcum powder, and a healthy dose of synthetic musk.

Picture this: you're primping yourself up for a night on the town, don some powdery feminine perfume, douse your head with hairspray, laquer your nails, apply some sticky, powder fresh antiperspirant. Scene 2: you're at the club, grinding with some sweaty men overdosed in cheap musky colognes, your sweat combining with your perfume, your pittstick, and those man-scents. You have two many glasses of red wine, followed by too many cosmopolitans. The rest of the night is a black out punctuated with some dry-heaving, too tired and sick to care to brush your teeth afterwards. The next day you wake, head pounding, sticky limbs marinated in sweat and god knows what else, mouth dry & noxious. Take a deep breath - inhale the myriad of scents. This is what Classique EDP smells like to me. Sound appealing?

I've given this so many tries, hoping that someday I'll end up with a different result but each time it has been a total scrubber. Every once in awhile I drift past a department store counter and sniff the bottle of the EDT - it still smells lovely - shower fresh as I remember it. I am tempted, but daren't give it a shot - I don't think JPG 'fumes are for me.

19th December, 2010

Weimar27's avatar

Sexy scent in a God-awful bottle but a
    big warning to all of who wants to purchase the E.D.P apply on small doses
    because this is an siliage monster J.P.G
    in almost of his perfumes his motif is his
    signature sinuous curvy female torso like
    he's paying homage to the John Singer Sargent once scandalous portrait Madame X Like the portrait Classique is bold
    sexy and Shocking.

It opens with Tuberose almost in a tradition of amarige but classique is
    creamier muskier and amberish drydown
    which is pervasive and the main basis
    for this is scent the only thing that is
    standing in the way into becoming a masterpiece is the tacky flacon and the
    cloyish aspect of the scent, for a while
    to does to get overwhelming and and gives headaches but way better then the other J.P.G Creation Ma dame that smells
    like dish soap so Jean Paul Gaultier
    is a flawed genius.

12th December, 2010

FruitDiet's avatar

The first perfume I bought for myself, strangely enough, is one that I rarely wear. Right as I was getting into perfume I was also heavily exploring the career of Jean Paul Gaultier and found that he was linked to practically everything that I love: Madonna, Almodovar, Peter Greenaway. I loved the brilliant, Fassbinder-esque commercials for his perfumes- particularly the one with the sailor that turns out to be a woman- and eagerly anticipated the day I'd have enough money to buy them. I thought the baked bean can packaging brilliant and loved the homage paid to Schiaparelli Shocking, which I'd known about long before I got into perfume. So, when I got enough money, I purchased the refillable Classique EDT in the cone-bra corset similar to Madonna's Blond Ambition "Like A Virgin" one. I played with it like I played with my sister's Barbies as a little boy. Yes, I bought it entirely for the bottle and packaging and was completely satisfied with my purchase. Eventually I bought all the other Gaultiers for the same reason.

Classique is a strange beast. I wear it perhaps once a month out of curiosity, to see if my opinion of it has changed. I'm never entirely comfortable or happy when wearing it, but I do find it to be continually intriguing. It's unbelievably shrill and artificial, but I've always believed this to be the point and it's completely in keeping with Gaultier's aesthetic. His cone bras and dresses for men were never EASY TO LOOK AT per se, so his perfume shouldn't necessarily be EASY TO ENJOY. It is hyper-feminine to the point of parody, but its sweetness turns sour and has an aspartame-like quality. There is nothing natural about it except for the fleeting early impression of ginger- it's contains all the accoutrements of femininity without the woman- the hairspray, nail varnish (as Gaultier proudly announced upon its release), and face powder. It begins as cloying, artificial fruit and flowers and dries down to a bizarre (one BN reviewer described it as "mottled milk") vanilla musk. It doesn't necessarily smell good but it is compelling.

I often like to spray perfume on my armpits in lieu of wearing deodorant, often achieving pleasantly dirty results. It works well with the animalic perfumes I generally wear- KOUROS, BAL A VERSAILLES, etc.- but with Gaultier my armpits literally smelled- and this is disgusting- of Doritos. The Cool Ranch flavor, specifically. I've learned my lesson and now know that Gaultier must be worn with a reasonable deodorant to avoid this effect.

I find it silly that a perfume this experimental and strange only gets one star in THE GUIDE. Turin and Sanchez just seem prejudiced against all Gaultier perfumes...I'm happy that they liked the brilliant MA DAME, though- easily the most wearable Gaultier this side of LE MALE, and probably a better masculine than LE MALE as well. I also like that the entire Gaultier line has a definite unity about it- all have an abrasive, toxic waste chemical spill effect that is perfectly in keeping with the tin cans they come in.

16th November, 2010

ladymorrigan's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

i used to dislike the classique EDT but this is a real improvement!! better and longlasting,less sour too, i love it

28th August, 2010

lady love's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Jean Paul Gaultier is soo out of this world as his fragrances.. You can love him or hate him but everyone know he will give us perfumes so different from what we usually smell..

Intense, Femenine, provocative for girls with sooo much personality and self confidence..

I remember seeing an advertisement image of this perfume, with a beautiful siren calling a shipwrecked sexy sailor.. and i think this is the power of classique..

20th May, 2010

EvenSteven's avatar

As mentioned by other posters, there are two types of Jean Paul Gaultier CLASSIQUE: Eau de Toilette and Eau de Parfum. Both are in production and they are DIFFERENT scents, not just different concentrations. I'd recommend they each have there own listing in the basenotes database.

The EDT is the original scent released in 1993 whereas the EDP is a "new interpretation" released much later. Both perfumes are packaged in a non-labeled, silhouette shaped bottle. The bottle surface for the original scent is usually frosted, and the newer scent's bottle design has a "applique" appearance that seems to change somewhat every other year. Otherwise, the packaging is the same.

I have not encountered another house that has two different scents with the same name and (nearly) identical packaging . Why Gaultier didn't find a new name, or at least a new bottle design for the EDP is beyond me- it is very confusing situation, and a detriment to sales I would think (just read the posts!). Other than Sephora online, I have yet to come across a retailer or B&M salesperson that understands or advertises these as different scents. They are normally sold as the same perfume, just as strong (EDT) and stronger (EDP). As is the industry norm, for THE SAME PERFUME, Eau de Toilette would be a spray or splash and around 1-6% perfume concentrate. Eau de Parfum would be 7-15% perfume concentrate.

Anyway, here is an overview of each scent:

CLASSIQUE Eau de Toilette: The constant theme that runs through each of Jean Paul Gaultier's creations and spectacular fashion shows is the 'Gaultier' image of woman. Jean Paul Gaultier pays homage to woman with his unique floral oriental scent, which comes in a sensuously curved bottle, a woman's body in a corset.

Notes: Orange Flower, Bulgarian Rose, Italian Mandarin, Star Aniseed, Orchid, Iris, Ylang-Ylang, Indian Ginger, Soft Vanilla, Woody Amber.

CLASSIQUE Eau de Parfum: Sensual and sophisticated, Jean Paul Gaultier's Eau de Parfum is a new interpretation of his famous woman's fragrance. Warm and profound, its charm lies in its floral, voluptuous, and deliciously entrancing notes.

The Eau de Parfum is a floral bouquet, a more intense olfactory concentration than that of the Eau de Toilette.

Notes: Rum Essence, Rose Essence, Vanilla Orchid, Daffodil, Bourbon Vanilla, Sweet Amber, Sandalwood Absolute, Tonka Bean, Amber.

15th March, 2010

L'homme vert's avatar

A stunning blend of high quality elements both synthetic & natural,
    I have this fragrance in all three concentrations with the Parfum my first choice followed closely by Edp and lastly the Edt that I could quite easily live without.
    The Edt seems to be of a different formulation with very little staying power and equally poor sillage.
    Some prefer this presentation as it's so much more muted, the nail varnish / hair spray effect is more pronounced in this form.
    The Edt. has a slightly more insipid Orange top note without the opulence of the other two formulations.
    The 'Parfum' is a rich creamy confection containing compounded fruit salad elements of Mandarin, Plum & Orange marinating in a Ginger and Anise spiced liquer interspersed by floral notes of exotic Rose, Rare Orchids and Iris butter.
    A seamless drydown finishing with tenacious fixatives of Vanilla, Musk & Woody essences..
    A superb Oriental / Floral best used for evening wear and special occasions.
    The 'Parfum' flacon editions are becoming more difficult to source although the extract is highly concentrated and therefore keeps for ages if stored correctly.
    Bon Chance in the hunt for this classic offering by Gaultier.

Merci, Monsieur Jean.Paul.Gaultier ............

24th February, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th August, 2011)

perfumista's avatar

This is a warm, rich and inviting fragrance which reminds me of Organza. The difference being that on my skin this perfume cast a more bitter, rougher and rawer edge. I tried the formulation in the pink canister with the scrolled bodice. This may have been the EDP as it was very dense even though I sprayed cautiously.

16th January, 2010

Wingie's avatar

Way too powdery and sweet. I definitely could't take very much of this. I would have to wear it only occasionally.

08th December, 2009

goldiloks's avatar

Makes me feel like a big fat tabby cat, full of rum and raisin fudge, slinking my way over to a roaring fire, to lounge lazily on the fur rug beneath it.

Puuurrrrrrrrr....

13th August, 2009

purplebird7's avatar

Exceedingly sweet, orange, powdery, and spicy. I am not smelling flowers at all. This is definitely an Oriental fragrance. And it has a huge dollop of vanilla. The whole combined to form a root beer and creme soda accord that I enjoyed, but it began to take on a strong, almost bitter aroma as I wore it, the way that artificial sweetners tend to do in soft drinks. So, I give it a perplexed neutral.

09th April, 2009

Heartwood's avatar

Anise, vanilla, and musk dominate this sweet oriental. It reminds me of Lolita Lempicka, which is also a 'meh' for me, but a little more interesting. Classique has even more sweet vanilla going on. Pass.

21st January, 2009

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Beautiful, soft, feminine fragrance. Reminds me of all the good things about childhood and fond warm memories of the women in my family, mother, grandmother yet remains sexy enough to be worn out as a romantic perfume. Soft enough not to be intrusive, definitely does not smell cheap although it's playful and romantic. Just beautiful!

(Definitely more a winter than summer fragrance, though - and personally I prefer to wear the body lotion - more than the EDT even as that is fairly strong if not lightly sprayed...nice as a light hair or bra spritz though), keep it light, warm and soft, I say...

14th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 17th August, 2011)

Goldaline's avatar

The EDP is a different fragrance from the EDT because they have different constitutents. The bottles are different, too, so I don't know why some people are so confused about the fact that they smell different!

I prefer the EDT. It's a pleasant fragrance and long lasting. My only problem with it is that it's so popular here in England that one tends to smell it on virtually every young woman and it's instantly recognisable as JPG.

03rd December, 2008

mikey_p's avatar

Hideous, confused, cloying and utterly shapeless vanilla floral mess with a bizzare curdled milk note. Great bottle though.

16th October, 2008

krdickinson's avatar

EDP is better than the EDT. When first spraying it on something in the fragrance put me off and then it starts to fade into something more appealing. I think it put me off so much that I wasn't able to enjoy what the fragrance was becoming.

15th October, 2008

aangell's avatar

Poland Poland

Beautiful, Nice, Great !!!!!!!! I didn't like it at the first sight but after a couple of tries I loved it. They are so nice , so permanent and so classy. You can smell them for a few hours and the fragrance is developing in very nice, interesting way. I found very similar fragrance to this one it is Rochas in the brown bottle and it is cheaper byt The Classique is the class and very famous. I really like them.

13th October, 2008

Noraed's avatar

The EDP is different than the EDT and I’m referring to the EDT
    Rosy, unique and mature scent
    It is an Oriental - Floral type of perfume
    Not having this perfume almost makes me cry, hopefully I will get it soon
    This perfume got my attention when I saw that it is one of the best selling in more that on shop for more than once
    So I tried it to check it out and that is when I knew I had to buy it.
    They made an Intelligent combination of notes (Mandarin, Orange Blossom, Ylang-Ylang, Ginger, Vanilla)
    Love it

24th April, 2008

luckylouie's avatar

This smells old, musty and decrepit on me. I was given a bottle by a friend who assumed that because I loved Gaultier's clothes, that the perfume would be perfect for me. Instead I smell like a mouldy piece of old clothing that was put away slightly dirty in layers of tissue paper 50 years ago, and have now been taken out of the box, only to have the owner realise that the garment wasn't worth keeping in the first place. This is the only perfume I have ever worn where friends have actually told me how awful a fragrance smelled on me. Enough said.

21st December, 2007

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

I have to say JPG is one of the best fragrance houses out there. Yes, their stuff is popular and overworn, which makes it a bit less special, but I cannot blame those who enjoy this. It is designed to appeal and that , it does exceptionally well. It is a better formulation when compared to Le Male, especially the EDT which is not better than the EDP just more loveable to my nose. Long lasting, semisweet, can be addictive.
    If you like Organza by Givenchy and Weekend by Burberry, you will like this as well. Or if you dislike the 2 mentioned, you might like this as it is similar but different enough to maybe hit the right notes for you. Excellent.

11th December, 2007

's avatar

To those protesting the packaging. The can is actually a pretty clever idea. Lemme tell you why. Aluminum is one of the best ways to keep fragrance from getting skunky, losing its original smell. Perfume loses its chemical stability and breaks down even after just one year from air, light, heat and bacteria. So....aluminum, original box, dark linen closet or fridge will all help out. But my review of the fragrance is this. Its a wardrobe classic, its a show-stopper clubbing smell. Its hard to pull off wearing this during the day. I have always always always had some guy that comes up to me telling me that I smell yummy and wanting to get closer. Thank You Classique. Its warm, sensual, dark, mysterious, erotic. A+++

10th December, 2007

patchouliii's avatar

I ABSOLUTELY agree with a reviewer here that the EDP is TOTALLY different than the EDT!!!!
    I am sOO glad I did not rush and purchase the EDP!!!
    I fell in love with a sample of the EDT. It was instantly warming and sensual, I just wanted to cuddle up with ME!!
    I even apply some before bed!
    The notes for the EDT are rose-iris-and soft vanilla as opposed to the EDP with different SHARPER notes of rose-daffodil- and absolute of bourbon vanilla, much sharper and spicier and woodsy.
    The EDT is smooth as opposed to the EDP which is bold and screams out at you.
    I will definitely purchase the EDT.
    But beware the EDP is NOT the same. I don't know why he did this, it's very confusing, usually the EDP is just more oils.
    Sample first before you buy!

26th November, 2007