Reviews

Neutral Reviews of Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

There's no other scent (so far) that's so "almost" for me. It's got a lot going on that's nice and soft and pleasant, and I keep trying it out thinking that this time, It'll be different. But every time, I have to eventually admit to myself that the sweet bubblegum aspect is going to win out yet again. It's a real shame because it's one of the bery few scents that lasts well on me.
18th April, 2015
Fruity, citrusy, boozy, cool (almost gassy-star anise-orchid) and balanced, a surprise for me. The sweetness is measured, the balsams do not overcome the borderline. The key notes are pear liqueur, plum and the anise to me, apart from the orangy and the ambery-vanillic  characterizing accords.  This juice is basically a gingery, rosey, orangy, plummy and anisy amber with a soft widespread "muskiness" in its body. The role of ginger, plum, orange and orchid is notable cause the previous notes imprint a sort of fruity-floral soaring, "gassy" and projecting airy temperament. There is some fruity booziness around because of the pear liqueur and licorice accord, while the widespread laundriness (bath foam kind) is made from the chord of balsams, iris and ylang-ylang. There are some floral notes indeed and may be a whirling tasty cinnamon around. The link of rose, ylang ylang, iris and anise is uber feminine, romantic and exotic, so modern over a soft ambery base. The dry down is averagely dry and powdery of woods, with an orangy-anisy and "simil berries" vibe over a soft musky and vanillic bed. Many modern following ambery-vanillic fragrances drew inspiration by this inspired "old" scent. A bit lacking of boldness and elegance but captivating for sure. Not bad.
26th February, 2012 (last edited: 26th August, 2012)
As mentioned by other posters, there are two types of Jean Paul Gaultier CLASSIQUE: Eau de Toilette and Eau de Parfum. Both are in production and they are DIFFERENT scents, not just different concentrations. I'd recommend they each have there own listing in the basenotes database.

The EDT is the original scent released in 1993 whereas the EDP is a "new interpretation" released much later. Both perfumes are packaged in a non-labeled, silhouette shaped bottle. The bottle surface for the original scent is usually frosted, and the newer scent's bottle design has a "applique" appearance that seems to change somewhat every other year. Otherwise, the packaging is the same.

I have not encountered another house that has two different scents with the same name and (nearly) identical packaging . Why Gaultier didn't find a new name, or at least a new bottle design for the EDP is beyond me- it is very confusing situation, and a detriment to sales I would think (just read the posts!). Other than Sephora online, I have yet to come across a retailer or B&M salesperson that understands or advertises these as different scents. They are normally sold as the same perfume, just as strong (EDT) and stronger (EDP). As is the industry norm, for THE SAME PERFUME, Eau de Toilette would be a spray or splash and around 1-6% perfume concentrate. Eau de Parfum would be 7-15% perfume concentrate.

Anyway, here is an overview of each scent:

CLASSIQUE Eau de Toilette: The constant theme that runs through each of Jean Paul Gaultier's creations and spectacular fashion shows is the 'Gaultier' image of woman. Jean Paul Gaultier pays homage to woman with his unique floral oriental scent, which comes in a sensuously curved bottle, a woman's body in a corset.

Notes: Orange Flower, Bulgarian Rose, Italian Mandarin, Star Aniseed, Orchid, Iris, Ylang-Ylang, Indian Ginger, Soft Vanilla, Woody Amber.

CLASSIQUE Eau de Parfum: Sensual and sophisticated, Jean Paul Gaultier's Eau de Parfum is a new interpretation of his famous woman's fragrance. Warm and profound, its charm lies in its floral, voluptuous, and deliciously entrancing notes.

The Eau de Parfum is a floral bouquet, a more intense olfactory concentration than that of the Eau de Toilette.

Notes: Rum Essence, Rose Essence, Vanilla Orchid, Daffodil, Bourbon Vanilla, Sweet Amber, Sandalwood Absolute, Tonka Bean, Amber.
15th March, 2010
Way too powdery and sweet. I definitely could't take very much of this. I would have to wear it only occasionally.
08th December, 2009
Exceedingly sweet, orange, powdery, and spicy. I am not smelling flowers at all. This is definitely an Oriental fragrance. And it has a huge dollop of vanilla. The whole combined to form a root beer and creme soda accord that I enjoyed, but it began to take on a strong, almost bitter aroma as I wore it, the way that artificial sweetners tend to do in soft drinks. So, I give it a perplexed neutral.
09th April, 2009
Anise, vanilla, and musk dominate this sweet oriental. It reminds me of Lolita Lempicka, which is also a 'meh' for me, but a little more interesting. Classique has even more sweet vanilla going on. Pass.
21st January, 2009
The EDP is a different fragrance from the EDT because they have different constitutents. The bottles are different, too, so I don't know why some people are so confused about the fact that they smell different!

I prefer the EDT. It's a pleasant fragrance and long lasting. My only problem with it is that it's so popular here in England that one tends to smell it on virtually every young woman and it's instantly recognisable as JPG.
03rd December, 2008
EDP is better than the EDT. When first spraying it on something in the fragrance put me off and then it starts to fade into something more appealing. I think it put me off so much that I wasn't able to enjoy what the fragrance was becoming.
15th October, 2008
This is a fragrance that I once owned but threw out. There was nothing offensive about its smell, it was pleasant enough although at the time I couldn't have named the individual notes. I think the thing I really objected to was the bottle and the can. The bottle is a decapitated and limbless trunk of a woman and it is presented inside what can only be described as a baked bean can. I found this distasteful because it seemed to be in some way a statement of disempowerment to women or to femininity. I don't know what the bottle designer was trying to do but the psychological effect on me was such a downer I really couldn't enjoy the perfume. The first thing to go in the bin was the baked bean can, but the bottle remained strange, in a broken Barbie doll kind of way. I sometimes smell the fragrance on others and it is really quite distinctive and pretty though.
29th October, 2007
This was recommended to me here, as in "those who like x also enjoy y", so I went to the loacal perfume store and sprayed some on my wrist. It was not a very good recommendation for me though. It's ok for a floral, without the harsh note I get from so many florals, rather mild and vanilla-y sweet, but not very memorable. On the test strip it has a nice freshness it lacks on my skin.
17th August, 2006
The pink torso-like bottle with frosted glass suggestive of a corset is quite a good hint for what to expect from JPG EdT: Jean Paul Gautier’s first scent is a sexy, girly scent that is at the same time very easy to wear, soft and enveloping.
Starts off with almost candy-sweet ruch of slightly citrusy top notes, sweetened by the vanilla note that underlines the entire fragrance, and slightly warmed and spiced-up with ginger and star anise.
The heart is rounded and soft, ultra-feminine but not overly floral: to the rose, jasmine, ylang ylang floral sweetness there is an added freshness from the somewhat lighter (though still round and rich) orange blossom absolute. Orris root adds a soft, powdery nuance.
The base is a somwheat powdery vanilla, but basically is vanilla. It is lovely, fun to wear and playful - without being cheap or shallow. And I feel it is absolutely French in the most flirty and sensual way. It is a perfect mood up-lifter and an excellent way to indulge yourself in a flattering but not over-the-top manner. I would say it is best to be worn with pink satin lingerie, but that is just an association - in fact you could wear it anywhere anytime and it will always be apporpriate.

Top notes: Ginger, Star Anise, Mandarin
Heart notes: Ornage Blossom Absolute, Rose, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang
Base notes: Vanilla, Amber, Orris root
30th October, 2005
Quarry Show all reviews
Sweet and pleasant, except a tobacco quality dominates on my skin. Even my SO asked, "Are you wearing that tobacco one?"
12th September, 2005