Reviews of Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

Find out more about Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

JackTwist's avatar

Even if I had hated this scent, I would have given it thumbs up for originality alone - water in the desert of perfumery these days.

This is a totally unique spicy oriental. The vanilla, heliotrope, mango and cardamom blend beautifully into a "new" scent experience. I am totally delighted.

What is even more exciting is the fact that this is totally affordable ($30-50 range) with a unique square bottle topped by an elephant figure.

This is as well balanced as Opium and as classy and subtle. A total surprise and one I would not have known about had it not been for Barbara Herman and her book.

If you love orientals, you will be mad about this one!

20th June, 2014

Darvant's avatar

I appreciate a lot this modern spicy-oriental concoction with a "retro deja vu" power. Jungle L'Elephante is effectively a wild and exotic combination of diverse elements with a dark spicy side, a mellow/fruity (intense and almost animalic) type of "backward" and classic elegance, a solid patchouli backbone, an exotic (i crave for the ylang/ylang) combination of spices (caraway, cardamom and notable cloves are not a joke) and a final almost incensey sombre side. Really courageous, a bit Cacharel Eden (but better appointed) and a bit Diva Ungaro with nuances of Arquiste Anima Dulcis (cocoa apart) and Noir Patchouli Histoires de Parfums (spices/patchouli/vanilla, but in a less fruity/spicy way). The extremely spicy/fruity final (oriental) olfactory "melting pot" is articulated and bitter/sweet with its slightly potpourry mash-up of citrus, patchouli, mellow fruits, cloves, licorice and other spices, more than vaguely conjuring spicy juices a la Cinnabar. The note of mango, in its combination with the elements (in particular cumin, eliotrope and the key bitter/sweet note of licorice) is kind of deliciously stuffy and almost plummy (or better apricot type) element in the final perception. I smell a secret smokey side in the background with its bitter/sweet, almost culinary and "burnt sugary" vibe, all aroused by the interaction between spices, licorice, oriental elements and probably a touch of tobacco. Effectively the ambery/vanillic dry down is a bit tamed in comparison with the boisterous wild opening, is oriental in a "salty"/mild fruity/stuffy way. Such types of fragrances reinforce in me the belief that we don't need necessarily to spend a lot of money or to run along the niche side in order to wear glorious scents. Elegant, bold and mysterious are the words to describe the women loving this spicy/exotic powerful beast.

10th May, 2013

iivanita's avatar

Croatia Croatia

i love the dry down of this scent, this is one of the extremely potent perfumes, very heavy oriental, smells like vanilla musky base, with loads of sweet, sickening clove notes....which become nice feminine to my nose only the day after :) then its gorgeous!!

but thumbs up for composition , originality! this is full opulent rich frag

22 March, 2013

androidi's avatar

Finland Finland

One drop of this perfume is enough to reveal its nature. The sillage is huge. The opening is filled with spices and is both sharply bitter and sweet. Too much of it would give me a headache in minutes. Though, when smelled from a further distance, it has surprising softness, possibly thanks to ylang-ylang. A coconut note is often mentioned but I'm not really able to detect it myself.

Spices (clove, cardamom) and vanilla are the most prominent notes after an hour. When smelled close up, the fragrance does not soften too much with time but it keeps the pungent smell of spices. I can't wear l'Elephant often but it does have something addictive to make me keep on returning to it time after time.

12 February, 2013

LouLоu's avatar

I have 3 favorites and kenzo elephant is one of them! Is is very unusual, so different from other contrmporary fragrances and its even different from other spicy perfumes, but i wouldnt say that elephant is too strong, it calms down after one hour and disapears after about 4 hours, maybe even less:(

02 January, 2013

Manderava's avatar

The reputation certainly preceded the scent for me on this one. It sounded like a bold statement scent. I was so excited to try it, this is actually the scent that started my true fragrance fascination.

I must say that while L'Éléphant is really lovely, it lacks the power that everyone seemed to attach to it. It's actually very soft. For me, it's the kind of scent that's lovely but gentle and I stop being able to smell it on myself. Still, very nice and something I definitely want to keep in my collection.

28 November, 2012

Leora1987's avatar

Lovely statement fragrace which smells a lot like EsteeLauder's Cinnabar. There is nothing shy and retiring about this fragrance! It makes no excuses for being up front and in your face. I love it! It smells gorgeous from the moment it is sprayed to the last lingering remnants of the dry down.
    Other reviews have said that this is a Christmas perfume, I say if you can wear this fragrance, you can wear it anytime and I certainly would.
    Rate 5/5
    Sillage: go on I dare you!
    longevity : all day long
    Wonderfulnes: the Halle Orchestra.

05 August, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

I see L'Elephant as an escape; an escape from the common and predictable fragrances of today. Not everyone will love L'Elephant, as in some instances the spiciness and boldness can prove to be too much. However, despite the fact that I'm not a lover of this fragrance, I do appreciate its uniqueness.

The fragrance opens with huge intensity. One is almost blown over backwards with its rich spices and citrus undertones. I wouldn't say that the top notes are offensive in any way, just shocking and vastly different from anything you've ever tried before.

The spices in L'Elephant are quite stunning in a dark, wild and exotic sense. The cloves, cardamom, caraway, licorice and patchouli gives this fragrance character and a somewhat smokey/incense quality.

What I find incredibly appealing, and in some ways sensual, is the contrast between spiciness and sweetness, which is brought about by the mango, ylang ylang and vanilla. It's a guilty pleasure that you experience, like adding a spoonful of sugar to a spicy Indian cuisine to send your tastebuds on a confusing yet enjoyable journey.

The drydown is very mild compared to the opening. The sweetness from the vanilla is more prominent here, as is the amber and the woods. I find it a delicate and comforting end to a rather wild olfactory experience.

The L'Elephant woman, in my opinion, is either a charismatic extrovert or a dark, mysterious introvert. On the right person, this fragrance is unforgettable.

30th June, 2011

sush's avatar

My girlfriend's signature fragrance.

When she wears this, I can smell her from the next room. The juice on her smells "warmed up", like what you get from a pie in the oven. It has a particular note, which I can't pinpoint (may be heliotrope), that leaves you wanting to smell more.

The licorice and vanilla are perfect for a cold day; the woman who wears it must have a mystique to her, and must have the right aura to match the huge sillage this gives, which is like a 60 foot train on a wedding dress.

17 May, 2011

asilverfire614's avatar

I had to wear this on my skin three times before I really fell for it...the first time, I wasn't sure about the spicy opening. I smelled some notes that reminded me of hay! Second time, I picked up more of the clove and cinnamon notes and began to appreciate it more.

Third time (today) and I am completely smitten...it snowed several inches last night and this was perfect for a brisk snowy winter day! I usually find it difficult to enjoy fragrances that are mostly spices, but something about this makes it honeyed and creamy enough to really ride it out.

Very unique and definitely not for everyone, nor for every day. I can't think of any other fragrance I could even begin to compare.

Mar
    2009

28 March, 2011

cheryl's avatar

There are so many positive views here, I don't feel so guilty about my less enthusiastic assessment. This is a very linear fragrance....it does its one thing persistently. That thing is a kind of rotten plum/clove overlay on a powdery cinnamon. It's a kind of concept scent, I guess.

06 January, 2011

orrisboy's avatar

I just put some of this firewater on to sit and write this. Suddenly I’m Jungle James, draped around my treehouse, languorous in birchcloth briefs, waiting for my man to come swinging home on a vine. It’s hot, hell I’m hot. Sandalwood leaves and spices burning up a scented storm. I smell plums. Steady now. Sticky fruit, oh when will the rains come? I am dying here.....I pick up a banana leaf and move to the window, stare out over the forest canopy, wafting warm sweet air over my skin. A crack of thunder, an echoing cry. I see the leaves parting below. I’ll apply some more...just in case of rain.

09 September, 2010

Mandi's avatar

Guyana Guyana

Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant is not for the timid or demur; thankfully i am none of those things, so i can happily wrap myself in it's bold spicy warmness and enjoy it for many hours.

Wearing Jungle L'Elephant is the equivalent of wearing a blood red dress to funeral, you will stand out!

16 August, 2010

w3pearl's avatar

Yeah... vanilla mixed with MUD and spices (cardamom, mostly), with sillage of a bugspray.

Why?...

26 March, 2010

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

This is one of the most potent animals out there. Dare to overspray and it will trample you to a sorry pulp. To me it's linear with nuclear fallout parading as sillage and a halflife measured in weeks. It's spice mecca. It's Coco's streetwalking elder sister who refuses to retire. Enjoy.

23 March, 2010

maia4u's avatar

Romania Romania

I LOVE this one so much ,i hate it . I LOVE it so much ,i can not wear it . When im wearing Elephant, i literally need someone to take care of me because im feeling blind , mute and deaf , i can not focus on what i have to do ,im just inhaling , sniffing , devouring , consuming this evil scent . I LOVE it so much , im feeling sorry for every drop that i spray on me , im feeling like this perfum is coordonate my mind , heart and feelings .Its plain and simply possesing me ! Im so jealous about its beauty and the power that have over me ,i started to collect perfumes hoping i can find another one that will make me forget about this pervert juice , hoping i will find another one that will make me say " I'm done with you " . But NOPE , not yet at least . Elephant its still ruling and dominanting my all senses . Elephant is my number one , my number two , my number three , my number four ... it is still sitting FAT on the THRONE . Even i might sound psycho i will say it : Elephant I LOVE YOU lol

12 March, 2010

The spices cardamom and cumin are immediately prominent to my nose and don’t get much of a clove note, and together, the cardamom and cumin give me pretty much of a rerun of Secretions Magnifiques. Of course the unique combination of notes in the heart level of Jungle L’Elephant also contribute to the fragrance’s special character: I don’t get the mango note but the ylang-ylang, licorice, and heliotrope work together to provide quite a bit of a tropical jungle feel to middle notes. The base is a warm patchouli, amber, and vanilla which carries with it some of the floral sweetness from the middle level.

Kenzo’s Jungle L’Elephant is certainly unique. It is also creative and energetic. The notes, though interesting and very nicely put together, do not perform very well on my skin so I am hesitant to vote it a thumbs up. Good sillage and very good longevity.

19 January, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

As discreet as a 3-ton elephant, this scent cannot be ignored. Cloves, cardamom and caraway (fennel) combine delightfully with licorice, mango(?) and ylang-ylang to give this oriental a lushly tropical yet raw sensual feel. With a generous amount of patchouli blended into the mix, a man can wear this fragrance as well as any woman. And proudly will he wear it for this is a majestic oriental, a tour de force from the house of Kenzo even if it comes across a little too loud for some. Fans of Annick Goutal's Sables should give this a sniff.

05 January, 2010

YouCanCallMeMo's avatar

Cherry Chapstick. At 99c a tube, a worthy purchase, seeing as it also prevents chapped lips.

Jungle L'Elephant? Smells the same, but x100 price point, and does nothing to keep your lips kissably soft.

23 December, 2009

Susy's avatar

Kenzo Jungle L'elephant is a dry and yet warm scent that I immediately liked from the first gentle spritz. (Quite a relief - I took a chance and bought it blind after reading favorable reviews at other websites.)

If you're tired of floral and citrus scents, I recommend Jungle L'elephant. I tend to favor light perfumes and this one is almost astringent in its dry cleanliness, but it manages to stay sexy with its flavorful, woody-spice-with-a-touch-of-cinnamon blend. It's assertive but not overpowering.

An unexpected bonus was my husband noticing the new perfume immediately and commenting on it favorably. Even my office coworkers like this scent -- and since they're all sensitive to perfumes in one respect or another, that was also a bonus.

22 December, 2009

Bigsly's avatar

There's something I find disgusting in this one. I don't know what it is and I don't really care (because I swapped my bottle off). The clove is strong, but there is a creamy quality to it, which I don't mind, and often enjoy, but this one has something nasty in it. I enjoy a strong clove note and don't mind wearing fragrances like Jacomo de Jacomo once in a while, but this one is stomach turning. Obviously, sample first !

04 December, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

Whoa, slow down there cinnamon. Don't get too close to those cloves... ah damn see? Now you two... argh stay away from that licorice... argh! Now you three smell really bad. Guess we need to wash you up in some vanilla. This is very unbearable to me. Don't get this if you dislike cloves.

03 December, 2009

jenson's avatar

India India

Jungle L'Elephant Eau de Parfum - Jesus! what a mighty fragrance! smells tenacious with a warm glow of florals, has a unique halo of vanilla essence and yeh, it has that famous "sperm" accord found in Secretions Magnifiques and Moschino Freinds. Easily unisex, and one of Kenzo's prominent releases.. pls do sample this Giant Elephant!.. L'Elephant was great! it's definitely something i'll consider purchasing..

20th September, 2009

CFKay's avatar

South Africa South Africa

This is my HG and the fragrance everyone knows me by. Strangers often ask me what perfume I'm wearing. Warm creamy honeyed cinnamon spices with awesome staying power. Soooo.. sultry and sexy! If this one works with your chemistry, wear it proudly because there is nothing else out there as unique as this. Truly an unforgettable signature scent.

24 June, 2009

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

An absolute beauty this is! This elephant is definitely the king of the jungle in the Kenzo kingdom for me. And now one of my firm top 10 scents of all time.

12 June, 2009

Hildy's avatar

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this brave, unique perfume - and so do the men! Apart from that METRO MAN has already said it all. Find it too scary? Then try Pomegranate Noir, Jo Malone - in Jungle's shadow! Hildy

11th June, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant

Y'know how we say we want more movies that take risks or music that doesn't sound like anything else or perfume that is willing to take risks? Very often we say these things but it seems that these artistic efforts that live up to our desires never seem to stick around for long. Today's example is 1996's Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant. This was one of a pair of scents created by Dominique Ropion in this time period and both of them stand out from my impression of Kenzo as a standard designer of solid scents that don't necessarily push the envelope. At least back in the mid-90's the line took a chance and tried to do that and of course they both are discontinued. L'Elephant is full of the spices I love and while most scents would just stop there L'Elephant continues to accelerate seemingly adding every note in the perfumer's arsenal and somehow making it work for me. From the top this blows in on a stiff breeze laden with cardamom, cumin and clove. There is a hint of citrus but it is so fleeting it took my third sniff of this to convince myself it was there. No, the beginning of this is the cool lemon fresh of cardamom, the depth of cumin, and the heat of clove and it works wonderfully on me. If you are cumin or clove averse the beginning of this will be tough for you, let me ask you to be patient beacause as much as I like the top this one just gets better as it develops. The heart starts with a ripe floral mix of ylang-ylang and heliotrope; the contrapuntal beat is provided by anise and this is full-on licorice which in contrast to the sweet floral makes beautiful music. The note list again lists mango as a note but this time I can't convince myself that it's there. This heart smells like a chai tea as the spices are still there but way in the background. Just as I think things are on the verge of getting too busy in comes more in the form of vanilla and amber and these add to the richness of this scent. The development of this just kept piling on so much I was beginning to feel like the olfactory equivalent of M. Creosote and fearing the one thin mint note which would cause my nose to explode. Let me close this with a warning, this scent is not for everyone it has all of the subtlety of a jackhammer at times and then at other times it rewards you with subtle surprises as these notes interact and create different landscapes to explore with your nose. If you're not into trying weird things, stay away. On the other hand if you're a scent adventurer strap on your pith helmet and head into the Jungle and hunt up some L'Elephant.

28 March, 2009

NebraskaLovesScent's avatar

The notes looked wonderful on paper, but on my skin? Yuck! What a stinker! I smelled like stinky feet sititng next to a cheap clove candle from a discount store. Jungle L'Elephant was too much spice and way too synthetic-smelling to be pleasant on me. I found someone who loves it and can wear it well, and I passed my bottle on to her. This is definitely one to try a sample of before purchasing. I suspect it just may not work with some people's chemistry. It certainly did not work with mine.

08 March, 2009

ummmily's avatar

If I sit with my nose pressed against my wrist, I can smell the potential- but when I wear this it's like I'm a gigantic walking clove leaf. It's very distinctive, and I wouldn't call it strictly "feminine" until it's been worn for about 30 minutes and a teensy bit of the clove has worn off. Though it doesn't work with me, so I wouldn't wear it out- I occasionally give myself a squirt when I'm sure I'll be home all day because it's reminiscent of something in my past that I can't pinpoint, but I find cozy and comforting.

11th January, 2009

DebraJean's avatar

Gourmand oriental? This stuff is a huge let down. It's a super synthetic mess. Every note has a hard plastic edge. It smells exactly like an upscale sunscreen.
    The drydown does have a nice clean river water note that works well.
    The only time I would ever wear this is going to the beach or river, or any time I had to be covered in sunscreen.

It could be so much better, it's a great idea, I was so excited to recieve it, but it was terrible.

11th September, 2008