Positive Reviews of Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

Find out more about Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

I appreciate a lot this modern spicy-oriental concoction with a "retro deja vu" power. Jungle L'Elephante is effectively a wild and exotic combination of diverse elements with a dark spicy side, a mellow/fruity (intense and almost animalic) type of "backward" and classic elegance, a solid patchouli backbone, an exotic (i crave for the ylang/ylang) combination of spices (caraway, cardamom and notable cloves are not a joke) and a final almost incensey sombre side. Really courageous, a bit Cacharel Eden (but better appointed) and a bit Diva Ungaro with nuances of Arquiste Anima Dulcis (cocoa apart) and Noir Patchouli Histoires de Parfums (spices/patchouli/vanilla, but in a less fruity/spicy way). The extremely spicy/fruity final (oriental) olfactory "melting pot" is articulated and bitter/sweet with its slightly potpourry mash-up of citrus, patchouli, mellow fruits, cloves, licorice and other spices, more than vaguely conjuring spicy juices a la Cinnabar. The note of mango, in its combination with the elements (in particular cumin, eliotrope and the key bitter/sweet note of licorice) is kind of deliciously stuffy and almost plummy (or better apricot type) element in the final perception. I smell a secret smokey side in the background with its bitter/sweet, almost culinary and "burnt sugary" vibe, all aroused by the interaction between spices, licorice, oriental elements and probably a touch of tobacco. Effectively the ambery/vanillic dry down is a bit tamed in comparison with the boisterous wild opening, is oriental in a "salty"/mild fruity/stuffy way. Such types of fragrances reinforce in me the belief that we don't need necessarily to spend a lot of money or to run along the niche side in order to wear glorious scents. Elegant, bold and mysterious are the words to describe the women loving this spicy/exotic powerful beast.

10th May, 2013

iivanita's avatar
    iivanita
    Croatia Croatia

i love the dry down of this scent, this is one of the extremely potent perfumes, very heavy oriental, smells like vanilla musky base, with loads of sweet, sickening clove notes....which become nice feminine to my nose only the day after :) then its gorgeous!!

but thumbs up for composition , originality! this is full opulent rich frag

22 March, 2013

androidi's avatar
    androidi
    Finland Finland

One drop of this perfume is enough to reveal its nature. The sillage is huge. The opening is filled with spices and is both sharply bitter and sweet. Too much of it would give me a headache in minutes. Though, when smelled from a further distance, it has surprising softness, possibly thanks to ylang-ylang. A coconut note is often mentioned but I'm not really able to detect it myself.

Spices (clove, cardamom) and vanilla are the most prominent notes after an hour. When smelled close up, the fragrance does not soften too much with time but it keeps the pungent smell of spices. I can't wear l'Elephant often but it does have something addictive to make me keep on returning to it time after time.

12 February, 2013

LouLоu's avatar
    LouLоu

I have 3 favorites and kenzo elephant is one of them! Is is very unusual, so different from other contrmporary fragrances and its even different from other spicy perfumes, but i wouldnt say that elephant is too strong, it calms down after one hour and disapears after about 4 hours, maybe even less:(

02 January, 2013

Manderava's avatar
    Manderava

The reputation certainly preceded the scent for me on this one. It sounded like a bold statement scent. I was so excited to try it, this is actually the scent that started my true fragrance fascination.

I must say that while L'Éléphant is really lovely, it lacks the power that everyone seemed to attach to it. It's actually very soft. For me, it's the kind of scent that's lovely but gentle and I stop being able to smell it on myself. Still, very nice and something I definitely want to keep in my collection.

28 November, 2012

Leora1987's avatar
    Leora1987

Lovely statement fragrace which smells a lot like EsteeLauder's Cinnabar. There is nothing shy and retiring about this fragrance! It makes no excuses for being up front and in your face. I love it! It smells gorgeous from the moment it is sprayed to the last lingering remnants of the dry down.
    Other reviews have said that this is a Christmas perfume, I say if you can wear this fragrance, you can wear it anytime and I certainly would.
    Rate 5/5
    Sillage: go on I dare you!
    longevity : all day long
    Wonderfulnes: the Halle Orchestra.

05 August, 2012

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

I see L'Elephant as an escape; an escape from the common and predictable fragrances of today. Not everyone will love L'Elephant, as in some instances the spiciness and boldness can prove to be too much. However, despite the fact that I'm not a lover of this fragrance, I do appreciate its uniqueness.

The fragrance opens with huge intensity. One is almost blown over backwards with its rich spices and citrus undertones. I wouldn't say that the top notes are offensive in any way, just shocking and vastly different from anything you've ever tried before.

The spices in L'Elephant are quite stunning in a dark, wild and exotic sense. The cloves, cardamom, caraway, licorice and patchouli gives this fragrance character and a somewhat smokey/incense quality.

What I find incredibly appealing, and in some ways sensual, is the contrast between spiciness and sweetness, which is brought about by the mango, ylang ylang and vanilla. It's a guilty pleasure that you experience, like adding a spoonful of sugar to a spicy Indian cuisine to send your tastebuds on a confusing yet enjoyable journey.

The drydown is very mild compared to the opening. The sweetness from the vanilla is more prominent here, as is the amber and the woods. I find it a delicate and comforting end to a rather wild olfactory experience.

The L'Elephant woman, in my opinion, is either a charismatic extrovert or a dark, mysterious introvert. On the right person, this fragrance is unforgettable.

30th June, 2011

sush's avatar
    sush

My girlfriend's signature fragrance.

When she wears this, I can smell her from the next room. The juice on her smells "warmed up", like what you get from a pie in the oven. It has a particular note, which I can't pinpoint (may be heliotrope), that leaves you wanting to smell more.

The licorice and vanilla are perfect for a cold day; the woman who wears it must have a mystique to her, and must have the right aura to match the huge sillage this gives, which is like a 60 foot train on a wedding dress.

17 May, 2011

asilverfire614's avatar
    asilverfire614

I had to wear this on my skin three times before I really fell for it...the first time, I wasn't sure about the spicy opening. I smelled some notes that reminded me of hay! Second time, I picked up more of the clove and cinnamon notes and began to appreciate it more.

Third time (today) and I am completely smitten...it snowed several inches last night and this was perfect for a brisk snowy winter day! I usually find it difficult to enjoy fragrances that are mostly spices, but something about this makes it honeyed and creamy enough to really ride it out.

Very unique and definitely not for everyone, nor for every day. I can't think of any other fragrance I could even begin to compare.

Mar
    2009

28 March, 2011

orrisboy's avatar
    orrisboy

I just put some of this firewater on to sit and write this. Suddenly I’m Jungle James, draped around my treehouse, languorous in birchcloth briefs, waiting for my man to come swinging home on a vine. It’s hot, hell I’m hot. Sandalwood leaves and spices burning up a scented storm. I smell plums. Steady now. Sticky fruit, oh when will the rains come? I am dying here.....I pick up a banana leaf and move to the window, stare out over the forest canopy, wafting warm sweet air over my skin. A crack of thunder, an echoing cry. I see the leaves parting below. I’ll apply some more...just in case of rain.

09 September, 2010

Mandi's avatar
    Mandi
    Guyana Guyana

Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant is not for the timid or demur; thankfully i am none of those things, so i can happily wrap myself in it's bold spicy warmness and enjoy it for many hours.

Wearing Jungle L'Elephant is the equivalent of wearing a blood red dress to funeral, you will stand out!

16 August, 2010

renperd's avatar
    renperd
    South Africa South Africa

This is one of the most potent animals out there. Dare to overspray and it will trample you to a sorry pulp. To me it's linear with nuclear fallout parading as sillage and a halflife measured in weeks. It's spice mecca. It's Coco's streetwalking elder sister who refuses to retire. Enjoy.

23 March, 2010

maia4u's avatar
    maia4u
    Romania Romania

I LOVE this one so much ,i hate it . I LOVE it so much ,i can not wear it . When im wearing Elephant, i literally need someone to take care of me because im feeling blind , mute and deaf , i can not focus on what i have to do ,im just inhaling , sniffing , devouring , consuming this evil scent . I LOVE it so much , im feeling sorry for every drop that i spray on me , im feeling like this perfum is coordonate my mind , heart and feelings .Its plain and simply possesing me ! Im so jealous about its beauty and the power that have over me ,i started to collect perfumes hoping i can find another one that will make me forget about this pervert juice , hoping i will find another one that will make me say " I'm done with you " . But NOPE , not yet at least . Elephant its still ruling and dominanting my all senses . Elephant is my number one , my number two , my number three , my number four ... it is still sitting FAT on the THRONE . Even i might sound psycho i will say it : Elephant I LOVE YOU lol

12 March, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

As discreet as a 3-ton elephant, this scent cannot be ignored. Cloves, cardamom and caraway (fennel) combine delightfully with licorice, mango(?) and ylang-ylang to give this oriental a lushly tropical yet raw sensual feel. With a generous amount of patchouli blended into the mix, a man can wear this fragrance as well as any woman. And proudly will he wear it for this is a majestic oriental, a tour de force from the house of Kenzo even if it comes across a little too loud for some. Fans of Annick Goutal's Sables should give this a sniff.

05 January, 2010

Susy's avatar
    Susy

Kenzo Jungle L'elephant is a dry and yet warm scent that I immediately liked from the first gentle spritz. (Quite a relief - I took a chance and bought it blind after reading favorable reviews at other websites.)

If you're tired of floral and citrus scents, I recommend Jungle L'elephant. I tend to favor light perfumes and this one is almost astringent in its dry cleanliness, but it manages to stay sexy with its flavorful, woody-spice-with-a-touch-of-cinnamon blend. It's assertive but not overpowering.

An unexpected bonus was my husband noticing the new perfume immediately and commenting on it favorably. Even my office coworkers like this scent -- and since they're all sensitive to perfumes in one respect or another, that was also a bonus.

22 December, 2009

jenson's avatar
    jenson
    India India

Jungle L'Elephant Eau de Parfum - Jesus! what a mighty fragrance! smells tenacious with a warm glow of florals, has a unique halo of vanilla essence and yeh, it has that famous "sperm" accord found in Secretions Magnifiques and Moschino Freinds. Easily unisex, and one of Kenzo's prominent releases.. pls do sample this Giant Elephant!.. L'Elephant was great! it's definitely something i'll consider purchasing..

20th September, 2009

CFKay's avatar
    CFKay
    South Africa South Africa

This is my HG and the fragrance everyone knows me by. Strangers often ask me what perfume I'm wearing. Warm creamy honeyed cinnamon spices with awesome staying power. Soooo.. sultry and sexy! If this one works with your chemistry, wear it proudly because there is nothing else out there as unique as this. Truly an unforgettable signature scent.

24 June, 2009

xmen's avatar
    xmen
    Singapore Singapore

An absolute beauty this is! This elephant is definitely the king of the jungle in the Kenzo kingdom for me. And now one of my firm top 10 scents of all time.

12 June, 2009

Hildy's avatar
    Hildy

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this brave, unique perfume - and so do the men! Apart from that METRO MAN has already said it all. Find it too scary? Then try Pomegranate Noir, Jo Malone - in Jungle's shadow! Hildy

11th June, 2009

Somerville Metro Man's avatar
    Somerville Metro Man

Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant

Y'know how we say we want more movies that take risks or music that doesn't sound like anything else or perfume that is willing to take risks? Very often we say these things but it seems that these artistic efforts that live up to our desires never seem to stick around for long. Today's example is 1996's Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant. This was one of a pair of scents created by Dominique Ropion in this time period and both of them stand out from my impression of Kenzo as a standard designer of solid scents that don't necessarily push the envelope. At least back in the mid-90's the line took a chance and tried to do that and of course they both are discontinued. L'Elephant is full of the spices I love and while most scents would just stop there L'Elephant continues to accelerate seemingly adding every note in the perfumer's arsenal and somehow making it work for me. From the top this blows in on a stiff breeze laden with cardamom, cumin and clove. There is a hint of citrus but it is so fleeting it took my third sniff of this to convince myself it was there. No, the beginning of this is the cool lemon fresh of cardamom, the depth of cumin, and the heat of clove and it works wonderfully on me. If you are cumin or clove averse the beginning of this will be tough for you, let me ask you to be patient beacause as much as I like the top this one just gets better as it develops. The heart starts with a ripe floral mix of ylang-ylang and heliotrope; the contrapuntal beat is provided by anise and this is full-on licorice which in contrast to the sweet floral makes beautiful music. The note list again lists mango as a note but this time I can't convince myself that it's there. This heart smells like a chai tea as the spices are still there but way in the background. Just as I think things are on the verge of getting too busy in comes more in the form of vanilla and amber and these add to the richness of this scent. The development of this just kept piling on so much I was beginning to feel like the olfactory equivalent of M. Creosote and fearing the one thin mint note which would cause my nose to explode. Let me close this with a warning, this scent is not for everyone it has all of the subtlety of a jackhammer at times and then at other times it rewards you with subtle surprises as these notes interact and create different landscapes to explore with your nose. If you're not into trying weird things, stay away. On the other hand if you're a scent adventurer strap on your pith helmet and head into the Jungle and hunt up some L'Elephant.

28 March, 2009

Aznavour's avatar
    Aznavour

I found this quite unlike most perfumes I've experienced. It has a wonderful "oriental" feel that isn't a literal, watery, Japanese paper-cranes-and-white-tea type of "oriental" -- it goes a bit further, a bit South East Asian, with a wonderful jungle-y (ha) feeling: that smell of depth and vegetation and humidity. I'm originally *from* South East Asia so I found this very compelling.

I think this is a great evening perfume; a bit too heady for daytime/office wear. It's distinctive and VERY long-lasting -- a little goes a long way!

22 May, 2008

melancholic-botanist's avatar
    melancholic-botanist
    Poland Poland

A little synthetic scent of evening stock (Mathiola) + cinnamon. Strong, longlasting, schizophrenic.

09 July, 2007

madridbatabidd's avatar
    madridbatabidd
    Spain Spain

My best friend use it and it just left the most pleasant aura that have never smelled on a woman:
    Highly addicitive!

23 June, 2007

invidiosa's avatar
    invidiosa

First smelled this at an airport off- duty, and was totally smitten from the first sniff. Its soooo distinctive. You need to like orientals to love this, but its not sharp - a bit like being wrapped in a warm blanket at xmas. It cheers me up whenver I use it. Its availability is not easy - only sold at Harrods and Selfridges. So even better in its originality.

03 March, 2007

BlackAmberMoon's avatar
    BlackAmberMoon

Jungle L'Elephant is one of the most extraordinary perfumes I have ever smelled. Even if I didn't love it, I would still admire it. Very simply put, it's asian spice market meets Christmas baked goods, with a smooth undercurrent of creamy licorice tying it all together seamlessly. Musky woods, ylang-ylang, and patchouli hover in the background, lending the composition an animalic sensuality. Longevity is superb, and it continues to develop hours after application. Many reviews classify it as a gourmand, but I have to disagree: woody oriental better describes it. Jungle is too dry and sophisticated to be lumped into the candy-vanilla category.

Jungle is a quirky, eccentric fragrance, and therefore likely to be appreciated by quirky, eccentric people. It will never be a crowd pleaser, but those who love it REALLY love it. I'm one of them!

13 September, 2006 (Last Edited: 28 August, 2009)

Elf's avatar
    Elf

I have both Jungles and I cannot decide which I prefer, both are exquisite. Elephant is softer, rounder, more powdery. Tiger is more fruity and sharper. Elephant is a gourmand scent but it has a very eccentric, spicy manner (the combination of caraway, heliotrope and licorice is unique, I believe). Yet it does not overwhelm or annoy. It is never cloying and, though exotic, could be worn in the office. Highly recommended!

21st August, 2006

cedriceccentric's avatar
    cedriceccentric
    Belgium Belgium

Kenzo Jungle is described as a gourmand, but in my mind "Gourmand" equals vanilla-ish, chocolaty and sometimes fruity cake-like scents. Kenzo Jungle is none of those things. It's dry, spicy and powdery. Yes, it contains many gustative elements like: cardamon, clove, mango, licorice and vanilla. But this is more about South East Asian cuisine than French patisserie. Kenzo Jungle is a spice market somewhere in Thailand or Vietnam. A true "far-away-places"scent.
    One of the only other scents that gives me this feeling of Asian Cuisine, yet in a completely different composition, is the marvelous Bois Farine by L'Artisan with it's distinctive satay peanut sauce accord.
    Kenzo Jungle also contains masses of patchouli, which is one of my fetish ingrediants.
    Very, very longlasting.

Bond N°9 Chinatown is very similar to Kenzo Jungle, maybe not as dry.

17 May, 2006 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2009)

chaelaran1008's avatar
    chaelaran1008

I used to love this fragrance for its great strength of character and the warm, enveloping drydown which followed its heady top notes. Wearing it in winter was the olfactory equivalent to being wrapped in the warmest lambswool blanket if that makes sense! I think I have mellowed now and seem to prefer fragrances that are not so "in your face" but for sheer individuality Kenzo Jungle definitely deserves kudos.

24 April, 2006

elysee's avatar
    elysee

When Jungle L'Elephant came out in 1996, gourmand orientals were not yet à la mode. Lolita Lempicka or Hypnotic Poison would be available only 1 or 2 years later. (I will not speak here of Mugler's Angel that I consider apart for many reasons too long to develop here). Maybe L'Elephant was, if not the trigger of this new trend, at least a precursor and my first gourmand signature scent (yes, there were times I only wore 1 scent ...)

Jungle is a creamy rhapsody of cinnamon, licorice, vanilla and clove hold together by a darker patchouli and incense that prevents the overall scent to be too sweet and foody and gives it a touch of "Woodstock". Bohemian Chic in a bottle, Jungle is foody and playful, elegant and creamy, a bit mystic without taking itself too serious.

Excellent staying power and sillage make it rather a scent one would wear during colder months of the year but it is a great scent for lush summer nights too.

03 August, 2005