Neutral Reviews of Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Find out more about Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

lilmissknowitall's avatar

Lactic incense, iris and pencil shavings.

27 April, 2013

iodine's avatar

Le rêve de l’écureuil.
    Wearing Bois farine reminds me of the poetic name of a dessert I once tasted in France. What can a squirrel dream of, when winter days are getting shorter, trees are getting bare and cold creeps into his hole? I suppose he’d dream of nuts, nuts, nuts…
    Grounded hazelnuts, walnuts, chestnuts, almonds (maybe not peanuts, as everybody here seems to point out, but I guess it is something to do with different food culture: I’m not accustomed to peanut butter’s taste and couldn’t say what it smells like): these notes gently hit my nostrils in the opening of the fragrance, along with bittersweetly piquant, liquorice-y Umbelliferae seeds- aniseed, fennel and cumin that spice it up just a bit. Then some flowers emerge, powdery iris, to give light and softness to the woods surrounding.
    Everything is fine until the woods recede and give way to a note that I hate- white musk, with its unpleasant sense of waxy- acrid- unclean. After one hour it's all I can detect, and the fragrance becomes quite a scrubber for me.
    Too bad, as the opening is lovely in its exceptionally gentle, subtle and comforting nuttiness.

29 November, 2010 (Last Edited: 14 December, 2013)

Weimar27's avatar

The Opening reminds of a white chocolate with almonds. very refined
    and stately like a elegant white gown
    going to a cotillion during the 1900's in the deep south this perfume is ideal for southren belles it's subtile ladylike and sweet like the legendary georgia trees this might be the perfume that blanche du bois wore.
    it's a little to tame for Scarlet o' Hara And way to tame for blanche devereaux. this has a southren elegance to it.

09 October, 2010

moss1310's avatar

peanut butter and hemp seed oil. not bad, but not that good.

14 July, 2009

elgab89's avatar

I actually really like it! I guess it has to do with childhood memories, Nutella, comfort food, baking etc. However, on the downside, I do not think is wearable, only, maybe, as Trebor wrote, in an intimate situation (although I would rather go for my Must de Cartier) - you cannot really show up at a party, or a job interview smelling like you have just cooked a batch of cookies - and the other thing - it does not last long - maybe is just me, however after 1 hour I could not smell anything anymore.

27 July, 2008

Ayala's avatar

Jean Claude Ellena’s creation of Bois Farine for l’Artisan Parfumeur is said to be inspired by the flower of the “Flour Tree” that is genuine to the Réunion islands. The tree bears red flowers with a distinct floury, starchy aroma. The perfume almost lives up to this premise, commencing with an accord of fennel and white starchy wheat flour going up your nostrils and you knead that dough or visit the local miller to pick up freshly ground flour. It also has an aftertaste of crushed raw peanuts at first – oily and subtly earthy, barely detectable aroma. However, it quickly turns into an iris perfume, slightly floral and sweet with notes of cedar and musk and slightly vanillic underpinnings, not unlike Hiris, which reminded me of certain semolina patties, and not unlike Bvlgari au The Blanc with its underlining heliotrope and white musk sweetness (also by Jean Claude Ellena).

17 May, 2008

julie-madam's avatar

This perfume pretty much remained the same from application to the end. Dabbed on, it lasted 3-4 hours. The main notes I picked up were iris and cedar; in other words, the perfume smelled like lavender baby lotion and cedarwood. Not that I'm complaining--it's a lovely fragrance. I'll keep the sample (and maybe even order another when I'm done), but I probably wouldn't buy a whole bottle.

08 April, 2007

ubuandibeme's avatar

Peanutbutter? Nope, I didn't get that accord - thankfully! - but I did get sandalwood. In fact; that was it. Smelled like Caswell & Massey's Sandalwood. Nothing else. My sample came directly from the N.Y. L'Artisan boutique so I trust it. Nothing but sandalwood though.

30th March, 2007

Tovah's avatar

Bois Farine is interesting, and although I like to smell it, I don't like to wear it. It's very, very, very sweet. I like the wheat note a lot because it smells so natural and fresh. The powdery sweetness, probably from the iris-cedar blend, becomes too much for me, though.

14 May, 2006