Positive Reviews of Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Find out more about Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

carlosrafael's avatar

Lovely comfort scent. BF like somebody made a flour of woods, almonds.peanuts, and iris and produced this redolent powder turned into liquid. Delicious and pleasant to smell.

01st December, 2013

uhbhatti88's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Delightful confectionery experience. Milky iris.

There is an Iranian sweet by the name of gaz, a white nougat with nuts and dusted with flour. Bois Farine is reminiscent of it, in many aspects: the milk, flour, iris, sweet notes. Not a grand symphony, but not the one-liner many reviews would lead you to expect.

Bright powdery opening, sweet woody-iris heart, clean drydown. Lasts 6-8 hours in moderate/cool weather. Has the iris caveat: smells like delicious make-up.

So far, the only perfume that has made me recline and laugh. Recommended!

26 August, 2013

nonnative's avatar

Cookies and nuts and ..... wind. When you think of a gourmand parfume you wouldn't consider wind, would you? Well, Bois Farine is a gourmand with something airy and spacious. It's a box of bisquits, but placed on a table in the garden, under the shadow of a great oak tree. Doesn't make you think of a kitchen but of an open space. Delicious and classy at the same time.

29 January, 2013

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

The smell of peanut butter on good white bread, delivered on the consoling breath of a lover in a meadow. Tahini, hemp and fennel seeds, hazelnut butter, honey, oats; it's a health food store who’s who. If I were forced to pick one descriptor? Peanut shell, which gets at both the nuttiness of Jean-Claude Elléna’s composition as well as its woodiness.

This is a mellow, doughy angle on the iris-and-cedar theme Elléna explored in the earlier Bois d'Iris for The Different Company (2000), whose top notes are peculiarly edible. Or, if the almond note here were amplified, we'd be approaching an oven-warmed version of Elléna’s L'Eau d'Hiver for Frederic Malle, likewise released in 2003. But Bois Farine is original, moreish and uncanny in a way that neither of these two are, excellent as they might be.

16 May, 2012

Fleurine's avatar

To me, this scent is the lower-priced older sister of L'Eau D'Hiver, from Frederic Malle. Sweet, minimal, but with different notes, the feeling of a spare elegant oriental remains. The flour note central to Bois Farine, is actually from a wood, not wheat, so to my nose the resemblance is not that strong. Also, Bois Farine, opens with a dry odd notes that is hard to describe, but soon settles down to a sheer comforting woody sweetness. Interestingly, I never thought of Bois Farine as nutty, as other reviews have mentioned. A sample will not fail to intrigue you...must be smelled.

10th August, 2011

cello's avatar

I think all the talk about peanut butter had me a little nervous, and this sample kept getting shoved to the bottom of the pile.

Ahhhhhhhh, how wrong I was! This is my version of a comfort scent. Well blended (another JC Ellena), using minimal notes that stand out, but creating a sum that it better than it's parts.
    The opening is fennel for sure, with the iris note rising (pun intended) into the smell of a country kitchen during baking. Flour is easily imagined, but this is a doughy iris note that is very prominent. It warms into the most natural and comforting smell - the kind that only can come out of a bakery or kitchen. Soft sandalwood then creeps in. The combination, and the whole experience, is just cozy and warm - not gourmand, but just a comfort-of-home type smell.

Lovely. Almost more of a smell or experience rather than a perfume, but I wasn't bothered by that at all. This one has a similar feel to another Ellena scent, L'Eau d'Hiver, but I like the Farine much better.

15 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 September, 2012)

The_Cologneist's avatar

A bit of a different style from L'Artisan, a change of pace from all the spicy and incensy stuff. Bois Farine opens with an extremely pleasant and different aroma. It's powdery, sweet in a slightly gourmand way. Kind of reminds me of some sort of cracker. It has a nutiness too, and somewhat of a creamy vanilla smell. I wanna say there's citrus there too, but I'm not so sure. After researching the 'fennel seed' note, one that I'm not familiar with, it turns out that this is what I'm smelling.

As it dries, it becomes a little less sweet, a lot more faint. The iris note in this is different. It isn't overplayed, it isn't real powdery or bitter as iris can be. And, the base is very woody, but oh so faint. This scent ends up getting really close to the skin. But, boy is it lovely smell. The longevity, I can't quite distinguish. I had a sample, wore it a few times, and could only really smell it for about 6 hours. Though, I had like this "un-neutral" smell on my skin, that lasted forever, but it wasn't much of anything. Kind of like a faint blueberry and floral smell. It was hard to figure out, harder to smell, but what was left, was pleasant. Projection is average, better on clothing, but ends up as a skin scent for most of the time.

Overall, I think this is one of the better L'Artisan fragrances for sure. It's very unisex, so either sex could pull it off. It's versatile and unique. Think peanut butter, grape or blueberry jelly, and some soft florals.

14 April, 2011

Grottola's avatar

Okay, when I dabbed on Bois Farine and let it dry, I couldn't stop laughing. It seriously smells just like peanuts. Or, almond cookies of some sort. Not sweet like Marzipan, just straight up Planter's peanuts with some woods thrown in the mix. As it dries down I get more iris and woods towards the end but that peanut smell never leaves. It's not the kind of fragrance I'd wear, but Bois Farine is a reminder of how amazing fragrances are when it comes to conjuring up different smells or images. Good longevity and sillage; very unique and enjoyable.

25 March, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 March, 2011)

MissMagic's avatar

Sweden Sweden

If you like this, but dislike the pricetag, you must try "Max Mara" by Max Mara, which is a über-sweetened version of "Bois Farine". Both perfumes are "Floral Woody Musk's". But the sugared "Max Mara" has a nicer price-tag to it. You simply must try this! You will get a lot of perfume for the money if you buy "Max Mara" (which is also one my signature-fragrances - love love love !!!).

11th October, 2010

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Another interesting creation from a maison that likes to go beyond and make fragrances that seems inspired in the real world but through an abstract way. Bois Farine is all about the wood and the peanut to me, and this combination, sugary, soft, doughy, makes me think of children`s parties here in Brazil. There`s a candy here, called Cajuzinho, that is made of peanut and decorated by a little cashew slice at top. The peanut dough of Cajuzinho is covered with icing sugar, and the smell that linger on your fingers after you eat one of these sweets is the same that Bois Farine has - a light, sugarish, peanut smell. Bois Farine goes on me after the peanut doughy smell on a light woody and resinous side, but what a fun opening this one has! It has a relaxed, innocent, happy smell to me, easy to wear and to enjoy.

25 May, 2010

MFJ's avatar

I love Bois Farine. I think the wood and dough interpretation is presented excellently accurately, which make this Ellena composition truly unique. I tried layering this with the non-gourmand L'Artisan Vanilia as suggested by another member, and I was extremely pleased at how it turned out - A foody vanilla scent. On it's own, it is quite an odd-ball and I echo what Trebor said: "I’m still not too sure when’s the best situation to wear this...", but I see much potential for layering options (to add a gourmand dimension to other scents). Indeed, this is also a nice scent to coze up to.

07 January, 2010

Zhara8's avatar

An amazing and unique comfort scent - flour, sweet white flowers, sandalwood, and...flour??!?

Not necessarily gourmand - for who would eat raw flour? This isn't even the floury smell of fresh baked bread - no, no yeast here at all. Nothing toasted - this is fresh milled raw flour. Sugar? look somewhere else. This is a bakery, not a candy shop.

Ah, but certainly a comfort scent - the fresh start of a recipe, the beginning of a quiet afternoon busily baking. The fragrance of being productive and creative. When other scents give you the final product of cookies or cakes, this gives you the prelude, the launch, the mis en plas.

So rare for L'artisan to put out a fragrance that is so casual and comforting - this is a delightful piece. So sad that the cost takes it out out of reach, else it would be a staple of my scent wardrobe.

11th November, 2009

Pepper's avatar

Warm, but not too heavy, I love the nutty, woody and even doughy scent is delicious on me. Generally, I never layer fragrances, but if I want to wear one of my "sharper" fragrances that need a little something to round them out, Bois lovingly caresses them down. Maybe not lasting on it's own, but definitely more staying power in warm weather, or when combined... MMMMM!!

26 August, 2009

nthny's avatar

L'Artisan isn't playing around with the name here. There's a "flour in a barrel at the health food store" impression from first whiff that has put a smile on the face of everyone I've shoved this in front of. This is followed by what I originally deemed a peanut butter note but with further applications realized reminded me much more specifically of Halvah bars which are made of extremely finely ground sesame seeds and sugar. I don't know why but I have a feeling if I owned this I'd wear it all the time. It's just good mood inducing fragrance ingenuity and I love it. I think the inclusion of iris gives it an alluring and somewhat luxurious edge as well. The most amazing part is that the weight of the fragrance seems to be that of flour. It's weightless but present. Yum!

11th January, 2009

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

I can pull this one off easily since I really love and appreciate foody scents. Wearable and fun to wear.

Nutty and starchy bread-like notes underlined by iris, fennel, and woods, it does everything I want it to.

JCE scores another hit in my book!

19 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2011)

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Very interesting. I`m not a fan of iris, but I really like the way it is done here.

Buttery, very very powdery with tasty fennel note at the top. I don`t find it especially sweet or woody at all, and I also can`t quite follow the peanut butter comments...

To me Bois Farine is a bit white bread-like scent, but much more than that, I get the clear vision of plastic bowl where pile of barley flour has been mixed with crushed, fatty almonds.

15 November, 2008

Celia.D's avatar

I tried a sample of this last year and really really liked it - I got the peanut butter and baking bread notes from it and found it a comforting yet unusual fragrance. I am now the owner of a whole bottle and it smells different to how I remember it. The sandalwood is now the predominant smell and it smells more like a masculine fragrance than it did before. I don't know what has happened. Has my chemistry changed, has my nose changed or has the perfume changed? Whatever has happened it is still a lovely fragrance and I'm sure I will finish the bottle but I can't help but be a little disappointed that it is not quite the fab fragrance I thought it to be.

04 September, 2008

beltz's avatar

A very fun scent to wear. It's not sexy, sensual or something to attract others, but it sure is pleasant to wear. It smells like flour far more than wood and is pretty linear, in a good way. It's too expensive for its own good though, but it's very interesting to try.

17 July, 2008

Jemimagold's avatar

I approached Bois Farine with a bit of trepidation given its much touted “bread notes”. I mean, who wants to smell like a loaf of bread? Upon spraying, the first note I got was oddly yeasty and sharp, and then it mellowed into a gentle floral overlaid with a light smell of Saltine crackers. It is oddly wonderful and compelling, and I found myself hoping that it stays on my skin for a long time. I then craftily offered my wrist to a male colleague (aka my perfume sniffing guinea pig) to do a blind sniff to see if he would pick up the Saltine note. He typically likes citrus (Creed Himalaya) or peppery (Ormonde Jayne Isfarkand) scents so I did not expect him to like it at all. However, he loved Bois Farine! He said that thought it was a wonderful scent for a woman and was something that “you only get to smell if you get really close”. As of hour 2, the sillage was still quite good.

As if all that weren’t reason enough to like Bois Farine, when I went to look up the official notes I saw that it was created by my idol Jean Claude Ellena, and upon reflection, can now see his subtle minimalist style.

04 May, 2008

heythatslife's avatar

South Korea South Korea

Let me summarize BF in three words: peanut butter sandwich (no jam, mind you). But you could try a peanut butter sandwich and fail, in which case it would just be a sad gimmmick, whereas BF is actually a pretty decent peanut butter sandwich. Yum! I don't know if I want to go around smelling like I've come fresh out of the toaster often enough to justify buying a full bottle, but I'll surely give it points for originality.

25 April, 2008

tvlampboy's avatar

Baron has it nailed! It's the scent of Chik-O-Sticks! (Those of you from outside the South and/or Southwest may have no clue what Baron and I mean by this. It's a Texan candy made of coconut and peanuts.) A gourmand? Yes, if only at first.

The sweet nuttiness with hints of coconut soons dies down, though, leaving the wearer with a positively delicious sandalwood base.

Highly recommended.

18 November, 2007

themeglet's avatar

Yet another scent that is SOOOOO heavenly, and SOOOOO unaffordable. I received a very generous decant of BF from a lovely swapper, and in three days, have almost emptied that decant. I am now convinced that I need a FB, even if it means taking out a loan. BF is a perfect capture of that smell that flour gets when it has spent a few weeks in the freezer.... frozen flour. There's not a hint of peanut butter here, nor is there anything gourmandesque (depite the fact that it's a flour scent). It's a sugar-free, unsweetened version of Jour de Fete. I don't pick up on the oatmeal, vanilla, or cream notes that others have mentioned... It's all dry, cold (frozen) flour that *hints* at its sweet potential (like flour before it becomes a cake), but never moves past that hint of sweetness. Oddly, it's become my ideal summer scent, if only because it constantly reminds me of sticking my head in the freezer as a child, sniffing the odd melange of ice, frosty plastic, and freezer-burned flour. (Yes, my mom thought I was insane.) Yet it's surprisingly "cooling"... I haven't been this knocked over by a scent in quite a while. Better still, no one will KNOW that you're wearing perfume; they'll assume that your natural body scent is just THAT amazing. It's now at the very top of my "must have FB" list. (Thank you, dear K! :)
    Similar (but not *quite* as awesome) scents: Jour de Fete, FM L'Eau d'Hiver. If you like either of these, you'll love Bois Farine.

23 October, 2007

Loukoumi's avatar

I love this! I do get peanut butter but it works! fIt is wheaty and smooth.

03 May, 2007

flco's avatar

Feeling miserable after bombing a midterm, I went to my favorite perfume shop and asked what they'd suggest for someone who's been having a really bad day. I probably shouldn't have rewarded myself for doing badly on a test, but perfumes always make me feel better, and I needed a pick-me-up because I knew it was all my fault, especially since I would have done decently on it if I had only put in a couple hours of work.

I smelled Mure et Musc and Ananas Fizz, both of which were lovely fragrances, but I wanted something less happy and more comforting. Then they showed me Bois Farine, and on the card that I sniffed, I thought I detected hazelnut. I decided on this fragrance and spritzed some on my wrist when I got home. Peanut brittle. That was one of my favorite treats when I was a youngster. It's not something I'd wear everyday--it smells like peanut brittle--but I wear it when I'm going to be around children or when I want to feel like a child. I wore this scent to a baby shower just the other day and someone asked me what it was.

05 March, 2007

pellen's avatar

Beautiful! Warm, soft, comforting, and yet, somehow fresh. This could easily be my everyday scent. It also works in any season, as it is light enough for summer, but warm enough for winter. Doesn't have great sillage or lasting power, but it is so unique and beautiful it is definitely worth the $$.

29 October, 2006

Randolph314's avatar

This is close to unwearable for me. I mean, I can't walk around my office or a club smelling like peanut butter. But, it's unique and intriguing and everyone should try it at least once.

24 October, 2006

SniffQ's avatar

Bois farine is a rare fragrance that i didn't like to smell in the bottle and love to wear. It's sweet and generous, and I adore the wheat smell, which smells of kitchen and love to me. I don't get as much of the peanut top note as others, for me it is a more subtle wood note that underscores the flour-powder feel. A delightful creation.

16 September, 2006

areko79's avatar

Iran Iran

Another different perfume by Jean-Claude Ellena.
    Ellena has specific style in producing perfumes.
    all fragrances have defects but L'Artisan's & Hermès's are lower than others.
    it is acceptable than many people don't like it, that is very sweet, but IMO it's not repulsive at all.
    Bois Farine is floral-powdery & buttery sweet fragrance, it is smooth & enjoyable all time.
    Bois Farine is a harmonic orchestra, that Jean-Claude Ellena is the conductor.

13 September, 2006

robyogi's avatar

I put off testing this for a long while because I figured peanut butter, or just peanuts, would not a good fragrance make. Well, as usual, it seems the topnotes too heavily influence folks' reviews. The peanutty note burns off within about a half-hour and what is left is a slightly nutty, warm, exotic scent with a sweet base of cedar and iris, blended perfectly into a fuzzy, warm, sweet, cookie-like accord not unlike the almond cookie scent of Bois d'Argent. On top of this there seems to be an exotic floral note, not really wafting, but almost grafted - or maybe glued with caramel - to the cookie accord, like some sort of exotic dessert. Despite all this sweetness, it's never too heavy or cloying. Needless to say I like Bois Farine much more than I expected. On top of all this, it seems very wearable, much more than these reviews would suggest (including this one). One of L'Artisan's most creative and interesting scents, even if a bit weird.

09 September, 2006

firstark's avatar

Bois Farine is the closest thing in my search for the ever elusive 'Holy Grail'. This scent emanates a sense of well-being, I feel I'm a better me wearing this.

03 September, 2006