Reviews of Poême by Lancôme

Find out more about Poême by Lancôme in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

rbaker's avatar

The opening is quite unique on my skin, with the mix of rose, poppy, freesia and other flowers, resulting in a voluptuous, rich and and dense aroma. The drydown adds a honey-vanilla note that fits in very nicely. Very good silage and projection, with a longevity of over four hours on my skin. Very classic and traditional with a subtle twist. Very nice.

23 February, 2014

neffertiti's avatar

I sadly agree with Passionscent, this perfume is beautiful yet sickly.

I have a funny history with this perfume starting with the gorgeous handcream by Nuxe.
    I loved the scent of this hand cream so much I wished for a perfume that smelt like it. One day Lancome's Poeme was on offer in Boots and I decided to smell it, and there it was, the smell of the Nuxe hand cream in a beautiful liquid fragrance amber format! I proceeded to spray it on me and walked away to test before undoubtedly coming back the next day to purchase a bottle.
    Unfortunately though, I proceeded to feel slightly sick and headachey from this powerful fragrance. I wish it wasn't quite as strong as it is. Maybe I sprayed too much? Suffice to say I didn't buy this perfume.
    Anyway, it's now about 2 years since all this occurred and i'm having massive urges to go back and try Poeme again, and just spraying a little and seeing how that sits on my skin (and head and stomach I suppose).

This will be the final decider.. fingers crossed.

09 May, 2013

Passionscent's avatar

Quite honestly, I love this fragrance, but it gives me a nauseous headache. A woman with whom I work wears this and at first I love it and then after a while my head starts to ache and I feel like throwing up. Anywhere that she has been even after she has left, I can still smell it. As I said, I do like it but it makes me sick.
    The chances of me purchasing this are slim and none.

15 April, 2013

Cricketkitty's avatar

Another fragrance I can't seem to put my finger on what I am smelling. The first blast is kind of overwhelming, but then it dries down to a wonderful floral, kind of heavy, but I liked it.

All I can tell you is the next time you pass a Lancome counter, give this a try, but don't sniff it immediately, give it a little time to develop. Maybe then you can help me figure out how to describe this.

08 September, 2012

heavenscent1's avatar

Not my favorite, but it's wearable. Horrible topnote blast of something, but much better at the end.

07 April, 2012

JackTwist's avatar

I was intrigued by Juliette Binoche's sponsoring of this scent so purchased a .14 oz sample bottle.

I can hardly smell it, even generously splashed about my neck, arms and wrists. On me, it is extremely faint and when I actually get a whiff, it is a nondescript floral with an unusual, almost cloying basenote.

At least my curiosity has been satisfied. For value there are thousands of perfumes far more worthy at the price.

27 July, 2011

blood-orange's avatar

Poeme is a heavy, syrupy sweet white floral, and I absolutely love it!

I can't stop smelling this one. It's a bit like Dior's Poison but much lighter, not as dark and more casual.

I sense a lot of plum, tuberose, jasmine, orange blossom, vanilla, tonka bean and mimose in this fragrance. The white florals are quite honeyed. I picture Poeme as a thick liquid, trickling off my skin, it is in no way light, this fragrance is thick and intense.

It has a definite oriental feel, which makes me conclude that this is an oriental floral with class. Seeming that the opening is rather strong, it's probably best to apply this fragrance lightly or spray the scent into the air and walk through it. It could easily become headache-inducing and cloying if over-applied.

The scent lasts for ages which is really wonderful. Poeme appeals to me because I like fragrances of this nature, however for people that tend to dislike strong, heavy florals with a classic feel, this probably isn't for you.

26 June, 2011

Silmaril's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Amazing! The more I wear it, the more I love it. At first I've thought that it's just another nice floral I'll soon be bored with, but with my body chemistry (strange one, believe me) it works wonders. It's heavenly floriental, not too sweet, not too strong (noticeable but not cloying) Every note has it's place in this wonderful simphony. And it's so well composed that I can't even tell what notes are dominant (if there are any). Pure perfection!

21st March, 2011

kastehelmi's avatar

One of my beloved and flamboyant girlfriends wears this..I love the complexity of it, it smells delicious, and there is a hint of incense, but it is very sweet, bold, strong and thick, so I wouldn't wear it.

21st March, 2011

Darvant's avatar

Mimosa and vanilla are clearly perceivable at first sniff. Poeme is romantic, gentle and almost edible with its milky, silky mellifluence. The ethereal touch is impressed by rose, element (the latter) notable few hours later the first spray. Amber, musk and may be eliothrope give support to the velvety vanilla. I detect a sort of bitter undertone of neroli at the beginning may be provided by a tonka- orange blossom link. The poppy exudes a touch of mystical dust while the final development smells like creamy zabaione blended with vanilla and marmelade of flowers. Unique and poetic.

26 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 24 December, 2013)

danielabeatriz's avatar

Brazil Brazil

I can absolutely understand why people find it cloying. I like it but even I sometimes get a little sick of it. But overall, is a beautiful and sweet fragrance. Not for the faint of heart.

21st January, 2011

Weimar27's avatar

If color had a scent Lancome Poeme
    whould represent Dark Blue although the
    liquid from this perfume is Gold and the
    box is bright sunny Yellow.

The top notes/Opening note starts off
    with hardiness of Leather a few seconds
    later dries to an softer femenine note
    of Blue Himalayan Poppies Succulant
    Plum i can detect a note of sweet Blueberries and peach.

The Middle Notes. Turns a bit more floral fist of the leafy green notes what i also forgoten was the note
    of orange blossom on the top notes after the harty leather comes the sweet
    scents of freesia & Heliotrope the shy and Ellusive Rose and ylang ylang drifts
    quitly though the scent.

The Basenotes dries to an dry woodsy
    texture of Sandalwood with an musky
    accord of the fire of the Tonka Bean
    note Vanilla and the finishing touches
    of Warm Amber.

this is an warm inviting scent i recomeneded for the winter months
    it will be too heavy for summer and humid condidtions perfect for sitting
    around the fireplace snuggling with a
    good book kind of an perfume
    a conforting scent.

15 December, 2010

domperrier's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Cloying, synthetically sweet-smelling. With a longevity that matches that of original Poison.

Mellows to a wet-towel scent after 15 hours.

But it's ability to lift spirits means it avoids a thumbs down in my books

20th October, 2010

pansylady's avatar

This is a very powerful orange blossom scent- it reminds me quite a bit of Serge Lutens's Fleurs d'Oranger-

It is so potent that I smelled it 24 hours later, after having showered and applied a different fragrance- wow!

29 August, 2010

kitsch's avatar

The weirdest scent memory occurred to me today. I put on Jil Sander Style Pastels Soft Yellow for the first time and it immediately called another scent to mind. After racking my brains - the other scent's name was nearly on the tip of my tongue but wouldn't fully emerge! - I finally hit upon it. It smells like Poeme after Poeme has mellowed down for a few hours.

I like Poeme, in small doses and on the right occasion, and I didn't expect that immediate "scent echo" from Jil Sander Style Pastels Soft Yellow. Does any other Basenotes reviewer find the same thing?

I've since seen that there are internet-supplied notes in common: orange blossom, freesia, vanilla, amber, but did anyone else get this experience too? It isn't just me is it?

15 July, 2010

Warum's avatar

Poeme to me is all things yellow. A bright golden sunshine. A huge bouquet of yellow flowers -- yellow tea roses, narcissus, yellow tulips surrounded by European mimosa from all sides, baby breath looking yellow from all the liquid gold around. A jar of wildflower honey. That delicious fragrant stuff that bees collect on their legs after a day of flights in the fields.

In fact, this is what it smells most to me -- the flower pollen that is the first stage of making honey and the beeswax in the drydown. I generally don't like sweet perfumes, but the ones with honey notes are exception. I guess I've been called 'honey' so often that I don't mind smelling like one.

But fear not the thumbs down reviewers, I would not wear Poeme to work. To me, it's an evening affair.

04 April, 2010

Yumm's avatar

Remember the Brill Creme ad? "A little dab'll do ya". Good grief! I smelled this briefly on someone, asked what it was, and then bought a big jug. I've worn it twice. During the second and final wearing, I was in a car with two men, one of whom rolled down the window. He would have jumped had the car not been moving. Pretty much that sums it up. It can clear out a packed stadium. Lovely, but only for the briefest of moments. Nice bottle.

11th August, 2009

ani's avatar

A truly terrifying concoction. Overly sweet and cloying. I have found the only wearers of this are overbearing, loud office managers who feel they need to put their stamp on everything- including everyone elses sinuses. Sorry, but Poeme wearers scare me!!!!!!!!!

19 February, 2009

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

I love this one! Always reminds me of London as it was one I wore when I travelled for the first time and still remains a winter favourite. Reminds me of going out in freezing weather, freshly scrubbed, dressed up in a beautiful coat and out clubbing or just have a hot chocolate in a warm cafe somewhere. Love, love, love it!! Gets lots of compliments, have been told it smells a bit like candy.

14 December, 2008

The_Entity's avatar

First perfume I owned, always has been my favourite, a very intense fragrance which lasts for hours giving off a heavy powdery scent

Not everyones taste, but thumbs up for me

22 November, 2008

DawnLady's avatar

I think that this is a lovely fragrance, but I cannot wear it. It makes my eyes run, my nose prickle, and makes me sneeze. Such a shame! I find this with a lot of perfumes (including all the ones I have tried by Lancome), and I can't seem to figure out which ingredients cause the problem - it is just a case of trial and (expensive) error! I am giving Poeme a thumbs-up anyway, because it smells so nice.

07 October, 2008

Aysu's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Romantic is the perfect definition for this scent. Be careful though it is not very easy to wear. It is strong!
    a little goes a long way.. First of all it is definitely sweet scent, but although I don't enjoy sweet scents this is one of the perfumes that I enjoy most.. It is not sweet like Angel, or Hypnose, sweet in a different way that I cannot describe.. It feels like you are smelling a honey jar, lovely, also mimosa is very dominant, but better used comparing to Champs Elysees which is another famous mimosa scent.. I apply this in the morning and when I come back in the evening room still smells Poeme, so a great staying power. Perfect for evening and romantic occasions..

04 September, 2008

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

I rate Poême neutral, as it is so potent so it is a little bit difficult to wear, and as it makes my husband allergic. He starts sneezing as soon as I wear it. But as it is a truly beautiful perfume it is not getting a thumbs down from me. It absolutley deserves a neutral!

30th August, 2008

elgab89's avatar

I love this perfume, maybe it was the right time in my life, I was 30 an things looked up for me. On the other hand, I always liked roses, vanilla,mimosas. Very uplifting scent.

27 July, 2008

ChewIron's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

For me this is what to wear when feeling a bit down and needing an olafactory hug. Its ups confidence, is strongly feminine and creates a beautiful fruity floral aura around you that lasts for the whole day. Its not for someone who likes to remain in the background - its heady and strong, but comforting and warm.

23 June, 2008

melancholic-botanist's avatar

Poland Poland

Single note of persian clover (Trifolium resupinatum) - lovely, sweet, honey-ish, mesmerizing fragrance, somewhat powdery; you can almost feel like a bee.

13 April, 2008

mediterranean's avatar

Spain Spain

It took me sometime to get used to this one.It wasn´t love at first sight at all.But now it has become one of my favourites for cold weather and my husband loves it.One day I wore it to the office and a work mate came in and said: "There is something here that smells really lovely,do you know what it is?" And I said: " No idea". After all a woman should always keep some secrets!

03 April, 2008

DeeOlive's avatar

I bought Poême as a gift for a friend who loves it, and took home a sample for myself. Went back the next day and bought the largest flask in the store, and have never been without it ever since. It is like wearing liquid gold; a bright, warm, sunlit floral bouquet with no melancolic notes. Of all the perfumes I own, my husband loves this on me the best.

This is a particularly comforting scent to wear in bleak winters; evoking fields of spring and summer blossoms and honey bees. The sillage is great, I don't over apply, and it lasts on me for 24 hours.

To my nose, it differs greatly from
    Tresor, which has an acrid tang.

The freesia, orange blosson, jasmine and tuberose mid notes are a smooth transition from topnotes of peach and other fruits. All seated softly on top of vanilla and amber.

17 November, 2007

vem's avatar

I purchased this and wore it during my last year of high school and into my first year of college. I loved the smell and the tub of body creme made the scent last forever. I had a lot of compliments on it too - from both men and women.
    I would still wear this perfume but I just get bored after a few years of any scent and need to begin the hunt for that next great one.

06 March, 2007

ubuandibeme's avatar

Not Lancome's best by any means. I usually appreciate their take on women's fragrance, but Poeme never pulled it off for me! I think it's too heavy on the flowers (& fruit) and really it's just plain boring. You can't win 'em all ~ and Poeme certainly won't win any!

06 January, 2007