Reviews of Sortilège by Long Lost Perfume

Ladylike but not at all outdated or boring. Classy and chic. Sth Lauren Bacall could wear. Soft, not loud but yet undeniably enigmatic While clearly a fragrance transporting the vibe of the 1950s it is by far not what the old lady would have worn by that time. Consider Lauren Bacall was female member of honour to the rat pack. Sexy, nonchalant , deeply classy , symphonic yet uncomplicated to wear. Genious
31st May, 2017 (last edited: 12th June, 2017)
Sortilege by Le Galion is a high quality essence of femininity. Strikingly beautiful soft floral notes elevated to the surreal with the use of superb aldehydes over a base of fine musks, sharp woody notes and subtle fruits.

Created by the brilliant Paul Vacher in 1937, Sortilege soon became Le Galions signature perfume and was soon adopted by the American elite with great enthusiasm. In fact, Sortilege was the house fragrance for the famous Stork Club in NYC, who had their very own immense supply of specially packaged Sortilege perfume as giveaways to special guests. Many photographs still exist online of numerous celebrities with their "free" bottles of Sortilege perfume while dining at the Stork Club.

By today's standards it's a very old fashioned floral-aldehyde perfume that recalls a bygone era where women wore gloves and hats while out in public, lunched with other ladies, awaited a man to open the door, etc...

I have not tried the "Long Lost" version nor have I tried the newly relaunched Le Galion Sortilege. This review is based on several vintage bottles collected over the years from the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's which have marvelous longevity and is a testimony to the excellent quality of Le Galions perfumes and products.
17th February, 2017
One of my absolute favorite scents is Coty's L'Aimant, so I am very familiar with it and to my nose Sortilege is a copy, done very well, but still a copy.

The only other Le Galion I've tried is Snob, which is a copy of Patou's Joy.

This house was certainly a master at duplicating the very best work of others who came before, but I wonder if they ever created anything original on their own.

Irregardless of the lack of originality here, I have to give it a thumbs up because if I love one, I must love both.

Top notes: Bergamot, Peach, Strawberry, Neroli
Heart notes: Rose, Jasmine, Muguet, Ylang, Orris, Lilac
Base notes: Vetiver, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Tonka, Civet, Musk, Opopanax, Amber
11th April, 2014

I have a sample of uncertain vintage. This is a kissing cousin to Coty L'Aimant and Chanel No 5. This is a soft swirly jasmine fragrance. There are notes of roses, violets and woods as well. It's sooooooooooooooooo pretty. Gracious and balanced. It smells like an archetype of French perfume. This perfume is like the perfect guest.
17th December, 2010
This is for the vintage parfum de toilette: I'm surprised how lovely I find this. Toasted caramel, powdered sugar, blended sweet flowers that are refined rather than heady, and an amber-vanilla accord that reminds me of Santa Maria Novella Calicantus, but more delicate and feminine. Every so often I get an unfortunate waft of nail polish remover ... I suppose this is the vintage aldehydes. But the overall effect is very pretty, warm and soft.
05th June, 2010
I recently got a vintage bottle of Sortilege parfum de toilette and I am liking it. It is very mild, and has a soft 'sugary' smell -- not powdery, but sweet. It reminds me a little of cake, so perhaps there's a vanilla note, but it's not obvious. I think this is a nice, feminine day fragrance.
09th January, 2010
This also was my mother s favorite, Now I am 35 and looking for it too. Its original bottle was fantastic and feminin.
The box was decorated with white embroidery stamps on green back ground.
And the smell was unique!
26th August, 2009