Reviews of Teint de Neige by Lorenzo Villoresi

"Was there a baby here?" asked my colleague when she arrived in the shop to start her shift. Immediately after sniffing my wrist, she ordered a bottle for herself online. It was winter, with the sort of biting cold that makes you want to wear the softest of clothes, and draw a scarf up over your tickled-to-sneezing nose. She was smelling my treat from the night before, when I had babied myself with a bath, Teint de Neige, and a cashmere jumper.

There was a heavy snowfall one winter when I was a child. Most winters the snow only sticks to the mountaintops, so Irish children try to make the most of those one or two days when we can play in all that spotless white, before it melts and the grass pokes through. "It don't snow here, it stays pretty green" as Joni Mitchell sang. This particular winter, the snow kept falling, and drifting, and all the schools were closed, so we had many days of play and the whole white landscape to ourselves. The skin of my face and hands got whipped raw with the cold, though I didn't notice it at the time, and even if I did I wouldn't have stopped. My mother applied her rich, rose-scented moisturiser (Cyclax Moistura, in a purple pot; I buy it sometimes for the memory) to the scaly patches on my cheeks and knuckles, and I was struck by the emergence of roses in snow. Teint de Neige brings all that back, whenever I need it, with all the hypnotic, powdery power of a flurry of snowflakes.
13th August, 2018
The ultimate powdery fragrance. A hint of delicate flowers. Musky, dusty sugar. Teint de Neige oozes femininity.
It brings to mind many different scenarios, of the women who would wear this. Femme fatale to demure, young Miss.
18th June, 2018
Benefits Supervisor Sleeping by Lucian Freud 1995
12th September, 2017

Holy powder, Batman!

The name “Teint de Neige” translates not to the color of snow, as everyone previously thought, but to a snow-white complexion (it’s the extra ‘e’ missing at the end of Teint that makes all the difference). But whatever – the scent itself is both reminiscent of the color of snow and of the snow-white complexion that one might achieve with a mountain of face powder.

Teint de Neige takes a party balloon full of baby powder, rose, heliotrope, ylang, and white musk, runs up to you, bursts the balloon all over your face and then runs away again, laughing like a maniac.

Wearing Teint de Neige is an experience. You must submit in advance to being smothered with an avalanche of powder, or else you will struggle to fight your way from underneath it all, and you will clutch your throat and gasp for air. Think of it as having claustrophobia and knowing you have to take an elevator twenty flights up to visit your sick father. It’s a social contract between you and the elevator – a case of “I’ll agree not to scream if you agree not to hurt me too badly.”

Now, if you submit to Teint de Neige, you’ll see its shy, babyish beauty hiding under all of that powder. Stretch your legs out under its fluffy blanket of powdered almonds and rose petals, luxuriate in its incredibly fine, plush-toy texture, like the underbelly of a toy rabbit.

It’s a major psychological regression, you see, this perfume. You put this on because you yearn for the comforts of what you view as a simpler time, when your mother took care of everything and your only concern was finding Sesame Street on the 4-channel TV. Or you’re the kind of girl who dresses up in vintage tea dresses and housecoats from the 1940s, and powder your face with Yardley talc because you believe that all the good times were had in the past, and you’ve missed out on it all and you’re sad about that.

I totally see the nostalgic, slightly self-indulgent appeal of Teint de Neige. I understand the urge to travel backwards, to gloss over the past and look at things through rose-colored glasses. Life always looks much easier in retrospect. I used to date a guy from Sarajevo when I lived in Bosnia, and he – believe it or not – was nostalgic for how it used to be during the siege. He and his friends used to chance death moving from one person’s basement to the next, and the sense of togetherness and fun was incredible. I know his family regularly boiled grass for supper because that’s all there was to eat. But I still understood what he was nostalgic for. He was mourning a way of life that had disappeared once the war ended and they had their freedom again.

Teint de Neige is a beautiful memory of the past, wrapped up safely in a bubble of powder and innocence, and like any beautiful memory, there’s a sort of blind spot in our thinking faculties when we enter that bubble. But that’s ok. As long as I can admit to myself that I deliberately want to smell like a freshly-powdered baby or a heavily made-up 40s starlet sitting in a dancehall waiting for her beau, I should be fine. I submit myself to Teint de Neige, but knowingly, and with self-irony.
16th May, 2016
One of my very signature scents,i know, i know.. It's supposed to be a ladies perfume, but, as i have already 'preached" many times, i do not give a damn, i can pull it off, and i love it, and never thought that Gents/Ladies fragrances definitions were nothing more than marketing issues anyways!
That being said, yes it is the epitome of powdery, or (meant with no offense whatsoever) of talc and baby powder. So, what? I love and worship that note,i always have! And madly collect them! Who calls them "old" i am sorry, they are not a match with me. You cannot call old something like this. This is mundane, pagan and innovative, futuristic and yes also reminiscent of a lovely Art Deco's past. Would you hate that and call it old? Then you cannot appreciate the Arts, either! It doesn't speak very well of the person stating such or other derogatory terms to define powdery fragrances. It is just a matter of pure taste and of style and sophistication. You may be exquisite wearing Cool Water by Davidoff, i won't argue that, if that is what you think suits you! But, please, have some respect for decadence and decor, and lovely, rich Iris and Heliotrope which is one divine note, and yes, it can create an outburst of lovely powdery feelings! Baby powder as per se smells lovely clean, and, a bit bland. There must be some flower at least to convey tone to it! Here, the iris is potent, ylang ylang makes it a pagan sensation, and, at the end the Heliotrope's dry down confers a touch of divine. Over powering? No. Never. Red Rubies by Elizabeth Taylor or the original Fendi for women may be classified as overpowering, and , although likeable, i would say they indeed could be. But, Teint de Neige is far from the madding crowd! It makes me think of Julie Christie when she was in her 20's in a lovely exterior sublimated by the wonderful pastel notes so typical of her earlier movies, and so romantic and impossibly mysterious.
If it's not for you, that i can totally understand! But don't call it old or call it names just because you cannot understand it! I am sorry i am blunt and i speak my mind,no offense meant to anyone! This one i love, and, i wish there were more fragrances i love this much! And all the time! Mazzolari Alessandro is one of them, too, and so are Montale's Louve, Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum and Guerlain's L'Heure Bleu. These are my top ones, well, along with Chanel # 19 both regualar and poudree' even better, actually!
30th September, 2015
Teint de Neige is a really nice “white” musky-aldehydic soapy scent floating in a plushy, dusty cloud of talc, with Oriental notes of tonka, spices, amber, vanilla, a powdery and graceful accord of flowers with a prominent pollen-like note of heliotrope. Warm and cozy, and quite superior quality-wise to many other Oriental “white-sweet” scents. The texture here is thick, rich, deep, smelling round and clean – I bet Villoresi (which for long time has been a great, honest and professional nose) used excellent ingredients here. I really enjoy the golden exoticism blended with a mellow, soapy and “chic” feel of warmth - feels like being in the coziest bath tub in the world. Despite being soft and sweet, is not exactly a discreet scent, so I’d use it more as a “comfort scent” at home; people around you may not enjoy its quite powerful sweet-Oriental projection. It’s refined, just a bit bold for a while. After a couple of hours it turns towards soapy-pollen notes of flowers, becoming a bit more grey, dusty, dry, with a more prominent presence of amber, slightly melancholic and pleasantly “outdated” too (the camphoraceous aftertaste of white musks plus aldehydes, I guess), always with exotic hints of tonka. Shortly just a bit less plushy and sweet than the opening. Long-lasting, mellow drydown with mostly talc-soapy-ambery notes. Graceful and refined. I thought of Jaipur Homme at some points. Really nice!

7,5-8/10
05th December, 2014
Genre: Oriental

To start at the bottom, Teint de Neige is built on a very powdery, very sweet vanilla base note that Villoresi used one year earlier in Piper Nigrum and would employ again one year later in Yerbamate. It is in Teint de Neige, though, that this powdery vanilla finds its purest and fullest expression. In Piper Nigrum it underpins a spicy, ambery oriental arrangement whose notes of black pepper and mint offer bracing contrast. Yerbamate juxtaposes the sweet powder with a smoky, bitter green accord of maté, tomato leaf, galbanum, and vetiver for a complex structure and a surprising development. Here in Teint de Neige the same vanillic powder supports a sweet almond-mimosa floral accord and lots of aldehydes. Heliotrope and vanilla have a strong affinity, as do powdery notes and some aldehydes, so where Piper Nigrum and Yerbamate offer contrast, this scent piles like upon like. The consequences for Teint de Neige are two:

1. You’ve really got to like powder to appreciate this stuff.

2. It can smell somehow lacking or unfinished next to its siblings.

While the texture is soft, Teint de Neige is not a quiet scent. Like most others from this house, it’s potent and lasting, projects well off of the skin, and leaves plenty of sillage. Between its assertiveness and its unwavering expression of powder, I’d expect this to be a divisive fragrance. I can imagine enjoying it under certain limited circumstances, but I ultimately prefer my powder tempered with other content, as in Habit Rouge, Jaïpur Homme, or for that matter, Piper Nigrum and Yerbamate.
05th July, 2014
I've heard from several perfume vendors that this perfume is the bestseller of the Villoresi house.

It smells massively of roses and talcum powder. It smells sweet. It smells ... old.

In fact my wife is exceedingly fond of this perfume (she uses the Edt). When she has freshly applied it, I can literally not smell the perfume I am wearing that day. In itself I don't find it a bad scent, it just smells ... too much!

14th May, 2014
My new favorite along with Jaipur Saphir. Does anyone know where I can buy Teint de Neige in U.S. I had to order it from lorenzo Villoresi website in Italy. It was shipped from England. Thanks. I should add from reputable source, not eBay. I mean Saks Nordstorm etc.
26th April, 2013
One heck of a flurry of powder, like inhabiting a perfumed snow globe. That it has immediate impact is evidenced by it being the top-selling perfume in two perfumeries devoted to niche here in the Netherlands. The owner of one of them told me that customers who buy it love its cuddliness and its sociability – it performs well at parties where they can expect interested enquiries about which perfume they’re wearing.
For something that is all about diffuseness and abstraction, Teint de Neige has plenty of strength and character. For under the tenacious wavering powdery tendrils is an equally wavering and shifting harmony of florals (the rose foremost, almost juicy and with a touch of green, but also other sympathetic blooms), almond tones of heliotrope, sweet tonka and of course a gale of musk blowing though it to really push forward the impression of a perfumed haze.
There’s a family resemblance to Brosseau’s Ombre Rose, which is not to detract from the originality of Teint de Neige. All that powder does come with a small price attached – there’s a chemical undertow to the experience of this perfume that may put some off.
09th April, 2013
Marais Show all reviews
*swoon* A devastatingly seductive, semi-sweet, floral, vanillic powder-bomb with room-filling sillage and next-day longevity. My only (very slight) reservation is that a touch of soapiness may hint at 'conditioner'.
Would suit a confident femme-fatale rather than a shrinking violet: 'All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up.'
10th March, 2013
Leontion Show all reviews

This is similar in effect, if not precisely in terms of the constituent notes, to Malle's Lipstick Rose: strongly evocative of vintage cosmetics. In the case of Teint de Neige, one experiences the dusty sensation of a cloud of face powder, scented with rose, heliotrope, almond and vanilla. It is not dissimilar to Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum, but far less sweet. It is incredibly potent stuff - I can smell it on my watch strap days after wearing it.

The most tenacious aspect of Teint de Neige is the dusty effect and it is the fact that the fragrance evokes such a strong sensation - that it does not just evoke the scent of face powder but also the nose tickling feeling of inhaling a diffuse cloud of face powder - that is the most interesting aspect for me.
18th January, 2013

Rosey and almondy powder with a slightly angular, vintage and cool-aromatic backbone. I see the  comparison  with a sort of blend among Heliotrope Etro and Habit Rouge (with hints of Hammam Bouquet Penhaligon's) as there is a part of either in Teinte de Neige Villoresi.  I smell a first blast of exotic ylang-ylang and aromatic bergamot, some delicate floral whiffs (rose and white flowers) over an almondy and musky amber-vanilla that keeps on a certain talky sharpness (tonka and eliotrope)  without turning out too  dense or creamy. This fragrance reminds me a bit the powdery innocence of Ambre et Vanille E. Coudray and owns something animalic-corporeal in the blend, something that reminds a sort of human ancestral smell of the first year of our life (a dirty baby powder), when the life is innocence, absence of barriers and superstructures. Not bad.
03rd May, 2012

Teint de Neige brings the essence of snow to life delicate snowflakes of pure white
falls on stone Angels beneath a dark azure
sky, Roses with blood red elegance falls
on the pure and virginal snow releasing
the velvety warmness to your senses then
turns sweet with the presence of tonka bean Reminiscent of a old woody cabin
siting near the fire place the scent of
freshly baked ginger and vanilla bread
just came out of the oven on christmas
eve Musk from the deep earth finishes
this pale beauty.

Teint de Neige conjours the beauty of
clear and translucent sight of icicles
hanging on windowsills with it's prism of crystaled color on christmas day,
22nd December, 2010
The love child of Etro Heliotrope and Habit Rouge. Like icing sugar to be applied to the Xmas log. I definitely get the snow reference and this is assuredly powdery and bursting with vanilla. Maybe a little like custard powder, but in a good way as I keep wanting to sniff my arm whence it lies.
03rd June, 2010
BayKAT Show all reviews
When I was a child I went to church every Sunday, and since I was a cute little girl all the old ladies liked to give me a kiss.

This was back in the day when people dressed up for church: nice dresses, hair done, makeup applied and perfume generously sprayed.

Teint de Neige reminds me of those sweet little ladies, especially since I went to church in Minnesota, where folks walked in the door carrying the scent of snow with them.

It opens well enough, but the middle notes get carried away with the florals, and I find myself fidgeting with it just like I did when the sermon got too long.

In short, I like this perfume about as much as I liked getting kissed by those weathered, heavily lipsticked, powdery smelling lips.
08th February, 2010

Teint de Neige is not very difficult to describe: As most say, it’s powder. It’s a beautiful, refined, exquisitely complex powder scent. There are many different floral and bass notes listed, but what I get most is almond with a touch of jasmine combined with a sweet, sweet vanilla and a touch of amber. In addition there’s a bit of something sharp in there that conflicts with the sweet and adds just the right touch of tension to keep the fragrance from being a cliché. Trouble is, I can’t identify what that conflicting element is. Teint de Neige has a strong sillage and very good longevity. In all, it’s a wonderful fragrance… an exemplar of the classic powdery genre.

28th November, 2008
LisaWood Show all reviews
This perfume is the one that gets the most "feedback"...many people, both genders have commented about it .Most frequent description is "clean".....I love it. It makes me feel confident and calm. Its a vivid fragrance with longevity. Not for those who find vanilla too insistent!
16th July, 2008
This is the 7th of Villoresi's 16 scents that I have tried and reviewed on Basenotes and it is the first clear disappointment. That nasty chemical note the other reviewers talk about smacks you in the nose immediately and I can only think of one source - mothballs.

None of the 6 named ingredients on the Villoresi site account for this: Jasmin, Rose, Ylang Ylang, Tonka Bean, Musk, Heliotrope. It's just nasty and acrid.

After about two hours it settles down to an almond scent (Tonka?) and after four hours it settles down to a vanilla scent, which is the Heliotrope.

So if you can stand it for four hours, you are home free with a lovely Heliotrope that is long lasting. But it's a long wait.

The end result is lovely but because it is seriously flawed in its initial notes and development, I have to give it a negative review.
11th December, 2007
I really want to love this fragrance but it infuriates me that my skin chemistry causes Teint De Neige to alternate between the most beautifully scented clouds of almond/vanilla powder and a strange medicinal 'ointment' smell which is pungent and repugnant to my nose. This
medicinal aroma is a real gremlin, weaving in and out of Teint De Neige and rendering it unwearable for me. This perfume must be amazing on those lucky people who can wear it well but I have to rate it neutral, although you never know, maybe my skin will let me wear this sometime in the future.
26th June, 2007
My absolute favourite! I have an addiction to perfumes, and I love to change as many as possible, but this is the perfume I always come back to.
Teint de Neige reminds of childhood, according to most of those who tried it... may I disagree and say that I feel like a mistress in a brothel back in the 1920s whenever I wear it? ;) It does smell like powder, but certainly not the baby kind! :D Thank God, I cannot smell too heavy a flowery note in this perfume, being a fervent flower-hater myself, so I would recommend it to those who refuse to smell like a bouquet. ;)
A tip for those who can lay their hands on the italian brand "L'erbolario": Teint de Neige smells like "Iris" by such brand, which is good if you need a good surrogate for this Villoresi at a low price. :)
06th May, 2006
I just want to add that I applied this in the morning and now, at 10:47 at night, it's still hugely strong. I feel like I've been punished all day with this horrible stuff.
19th March, 2006 (last edited: 20th March, 2006)
magnificent one of the most beautiful fragrance in the world suddenly i find a super powdered fragrance
25th February, 2006
Powder, powder and more powder. Did I mention powder? Oh yes, and there are some rather pretty floral notes that peek through now and then.
15th January, 2006
The colour of snow is white, as is the colour of powder. And surely Teinte de Neige is the most powdery fragrance ever created, the description even reads: "The essence of perfumed powders". This of course makes it a bit odd, not very manly for example. I still appreciate this one in an abstract way and wouldn't mind having a scented candle of it. Too "MUCH" for personal wear though.
26th September, 2005