Neutral Reviews of Teint de Neige by Lorenzo Villoresi

Genre: Oriental

To start at the bottom, Teint de Neige is built on a very powdery, very sweet vanilla base note that Villoresi used one year earlier in Piper Nigrum and would employ again one year later in Yerbamate. It is in Teint de Neige, though, that this powdery vanilla finds its purest and fullest expression. In Piper Nigrum it underpins a spicy, ambery oriental arrangement whose notes of black pepper and mint offer bracing contrast. Yerbamate juxtaposes the sweet powder with a smoky, bitter green accord of maté, tomato leaf, galbanum, and vetiver for a complex structure and a surprising development. Here in Teint de Neige the same vanillic powder supports a sweet almond-mimosa floral accord and lots of aldehydes. Heliotrope and vanilla have a strong affinity, as do powdery notes and some aldehydes, so where Piper Nigrum and Yerbamate offer contrast, this scent piles like upon like. The consequences for Teint de Neige are two:

1. You’ve really got to like powder to appreciate this stuff.

2. It can smell somehow lacking or unfinished next to its siblings.

While the texture is soft, Teint de Neige is not a quiet scent. Like most others from this house, it’s potent and lasting, projects well off of the skin, and leaves plenty of sillage. Between its assertiveness and its unwavering expression of powder, I’d expect this to be a divisive fragrance. I can imagine enjoying it under certain limited circumstances, but I ultimately prefer my powder tempered with other content, as in Habit Rouge, Jaïpur Homme, or for that matter, Piper Nigrum and Yerbamate.
05th July, 2014
I've heard from several perfume vendors that this perfume is the bestseller of the Villoresi house.

It smells massively of roses and talcum powder. It smells sweet. It smells ... old.

In fact my wife is exceedingly fond of this perfume (she uses the Edt). When she has freshly applied it, I can literally not smell the perfume I am wearing that day. In itself I don't find it a bad scent, it just smells ... too much!

14th May, 2014

Rosey and almondy powder with a slightly angular, vintage and cool-aromatic backbone. I see the  comparison  with a sort of blend among Heliotrope Etro and Habit Rouge (with hints of Hammam Bouquet Penhaligon's) as there is a part of either in Teinte de Neige Villoresi.  I smell a first blast of exotic ylang-ylang and aromatic bergamot, some delicate floral whiffs (rose and white flowers) over an almondy and musky amber-vanilla that keeps on a certain talky sharpness (tonka and eliotrope)  without turning out too  dense or creamy. This fragrance reminds me a bit the powdery innocence of Ambre et Vanille E. Coudray and owns something animalic-corporeal in the blend, something that reminds a sort of human ancestral smell of the first year of our life (a dirty baby powder), when the life is innocence, absence of barriers and superstructures. Not bad.
03rd May, 2012

I really want to love this fragrance but it infuriates me that my skin chemistry causes Teint De Neige to alternate between the most beautifully scented clouds of almond/vanilla powder and a strange medicinal 'ointment' smell which is pungent and repugnant to my nose. This
medicinal aroma is a real gremlin, weaving in and out of Teint De Neige and rendering it unwearable for me. This perfume must be amazing on those lucky people who can wear it well but I have to rate it neutral, although you never know, maybe my skin will let me wear this sometime in the future.
26th June, 2007
The colour of snow is white, as is the colour of powder. And surely Teinte de Neige is the most powdery fragrance ever created, the description even reads: "The essence of perfumed powders". This of course makes it a bit odd, not very manly for example. I still appreciate this one in an abstract way and wouldn't mind having a scented candle of it. Too "MUCH" for personal wear though.
26th September, 2005