Reviews of Mauboussin by Mauboussin

Find out more about Mauboussin by Mauboussin in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

JackTwist's avatar
    JackTwist

A quieter version of the classic ANGEL

This is a nice chocolatey, fruity oriental, that is very like the classic ANGEL.

Whereas ANGEL does shout the news from the rooftop with enormous speakers, MABOUSSIN states it subtly and intimately. That may be its biggest asset.

This stays close to the skin, unlike ANGEL, which announces itself from three blocks away.

Nice, but points off for lack of originality. There are enough ANGEL derivations out there, some by Mugler himself, that this one can get lost in the crowd.

Pros: As a floral oriental, it is quite nice.
    Cons: Points off for copying ANGEL

17 May, 2013

jtd's avatar
    jtd

Mauboussin is a big-boned inedible fruity oriental. It doesn’t always strike me as appealing, but it’s always striking. The fruit, plummy, peachy, mandarin, is just a bit rotten. It’s turned fruit that smells good in a brandy-like way but also warns you that it’s no longer edible. Actually, boozy isn’t quite it. Turned fruit and benzoin together smell to me like bitter, alcohol based herbal tinctures. It’s all a reflection of that push-pull food-but not-edible quality that the only gourmands I like seem to have.

The dissonance lasts to drydown when dusty cedar and sweet patchouli fight for the dominant woody tone. Mauboussin is not so much either conflicted or indecisive as ready to pounce one way or the other at a given moment.

11th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 October, 2011)

Red Theodora's avatar
    Red Theodora

What a wonderfully radiant scent this is! I have the EDT and it lasts forever! It never ceases to put a smile on my face at first spritz. The sandalwood, vanilla, patchouli dry down follows me around all day like my own personal sunshine. How lovely is that?

29 April, 2011

Redneck Perfumisto's avatar
    Redneck Perfumisto

I am an instant fan of this scent, which I finally bought blind as the EDP. I have been brought full-circle back to it, via the men's scents, Mauboussin Homme and Mauboussin M Generation, which I bought after becoming curious about the popularity of the women's scent.

First of all, let me say that there is a house homage here, which I could smell as soon as I opened the box. There is a certain bit of spice and lavender which links it to the men's scents, but it's a tiny, tiny point, and forget that I even said lavender, because you probably won't find it if you haven't smelled the men's. No, this is a wonderful "flormand", which reminds me greatly of L'Instant de Guerlain. Those who call this unisex are quite right - I find this one more unisex and less floral than L'Instant (pour femme) EDT, which I think of as barely feminine. There is a bit of resemblance to some of the richer By Kilian scents - maybe half of them, so I won't single any out. Mauboussin is sweet, sharp, rich, and warm. Many people sense tobacco, but that's a very generic note - I would agree, even though I don't call it tobacco. It does smell like something that would be extraordinary in scenting pipe tobacco - I'll say that. Very sweet and fruity, but not in the sickly, sweet-tooth way of modern candyfloss feminines. More like honey, or honeysuckle. Maybe a touch of caramel, but not as an obvious gourmand. A bit like Dior Addict EDP in some ways - more in the feel than in the scent itself. Oriental but not ambery. It really works on my skin, too.

Honestly, a guy who wears this is going to smell unique and like a million bucks. This one reminds me of a slew of excellent men's dressy scents - Tom Ford private collection such as Noir de Noir and Tobacco Vanille, for starters. Black Orchid, Tom Ford, Tom Ford Extreme - this one falls within sight of them all. It has the classy borderline feminine feel of some nice masculines like Tiffany for Men and Derby, although neither the style nor the obvious complexity of these, nor the haze of any smoke as in the latter. I do get the rose on occasion - just a couple of facets - even more skeletal than Egoiste, and hidden under all the other things going on, which are legion. But - surprisingly - it's all very harmonious. I don't sense any discord in the thing. As people often say, blended nicely.

The bottle is cute in a Star Trek way - it has the coolness of the men's bottles, but some kind of feminine jewlery cuteness that truly rocks, yet it doesn't shout unicorns and pony puffs. Really fits the hand - I'll bet I could throw it a mile or skip it off a pond. See? It's unisex! Totally, dudes!

17 April, 2011

Primrose's avatar
    Primrose

I will agree with other reviewers that this is easily an oriental unisex scent. I also get the "vanilla tobacco" observed but not in the list of notes.

It is sweet but not masculine or feminine in either direction.

The top notes are sweet and floral with middle notes in which the peach, jasmine, rose and ylang-ylang stand out. In the finish, there is rich, warm amber, sandalwood, cedar and vanilla.

In my opinion, this is a much overlooked scent and easily available online at discounters. This is a must-try scent for lovers of sweet orientals.

05 March, 2011

angelica's avatar
    angelica

Love this one. Sumptuous, sweet, honeyed-tobacco. DH grew up in the Middle East and says it smells like a traditional attar, as I think any serious oriental should.

02 August, 2009

AnnS's avatar
    AnnS

A tremendously pleasant vanilla-fruit oriental that is light as gossamer but with a rich warm woodsy spicy base that never becomes cloying or too simple. Very very well done - more interesting than Givenchy Organza Indecence, and leagues lighter than the relatively heavy yet pleasant Badgley Mischka. If you enjoy rich vanillas but find even well done vanillas too boring and want something lighter than Badgley Mischka this one deserves serious attention. It is just a joy to wear, and could be worn all year round because of it's sheer nature. An excellent all around oriental.

03 July, 2009

NYCBoy's avatar
    NYCBoy

I agree with purplebird7 that this fragrance is reminiscent of, but different from, Chanel's Coco EDP. I also agree with ubuandibeme that it may be considered unisex. Men should try it and see what they think. The sillage and longevity are impressive. Overall it is a very enjoyable oriental.

25 February, 2009

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

A wintertime wonder! Warm, rich, mouth-watering, comforting and compelling - simultaneously! What a gorgeous blend, slightly reminiscent of the deep fermented fruits found in Badgley Mischka, or even Frapin's fragrance...a slight vanilla here, and the base comes across with a touch of cedar, creating an aromatic finish. Could easily be unisex.

16 September, 2008

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

Mauboussin is all candied fruit and creamy woods. It's really pretty and delicious in that Angel kind of way. I enjoyed it and it lasts a long time, but it belongs in a genre that's the trend in perfume these days ( the fruity gourmand), so there really aren't any big surprises here.

29 August, 2008

Madamemagenta's avatar
    Madamemagenta

Did someone bring candied fruit to mass? Like Mata Hari in a modern club, modern fruity funk in a traditional resinous base. Sounds potentially disasterous, yet pulled off so well! Lasts and lasts, too!

14 August, 2008

SuperGato's avatar
    SuperGato
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

For some reason my skin hates it and all the lovely sweetness turns SOUR and I mean S O U R ... it rots and the rotten fruity whiff lasts for hours. I love it on others though.

17 December, 2007

AnnaBanana's avatar
    AnnaBanana

After much deliberation and the ad nauseaum reading of so many sparkling reviews, I ordered a bottle of this. The reviewers were right: it's deep, feminine, and lasts forever. But there was something bland and almost dark when it lingered on my skin. It's wierd because spicy/oriental scents usually are a shoe-in for me. This had class, longevity, creaminess, but it doesn't "do" anything on my skin. Wildly disappointed and almost feeling a little guilty because its so moderately priced and that bottle! But if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I'm an oddball here, though, since almost all the reviews I've read about Mauboussin give it an awestruck thumbs-up.

15 December, 2007

maltatude's avatar
    maltatude

I absolutely love this perfume (in EDP). LOVE LOVE LOVE not a summer scent though.

18 October, 2007

purplebird7's avatar
    purplebird7

Mauboussin is a rich, sweet Oriental based on creamy peach, bolstered by deep vanilla and patchouli. Imagine a bowl holding an overripe peach--soft, dark orange, bursting at the skin and falling off the pit. Pour on top of it rich cream, add a lot of pure vanilla, and a good deal of sugar. But wait, before it becomes edible, imagine the addition of a well-balanced dose of patchouli, as if the bowl, itself, were wooden. That is Maouboussin. It is like Coco, but less clear and golden, more opaque and creamy. Instead of clove, the sweetness comes from vanilla. Instead of a tree-ripened peach, the fruit is windfall on the ground, ready for winemaking. And when the peach finally fades away, a beautiful, sweet, patchouli-scented vanilla carries on for many hours. I'm a sucker for peach, and this one is just right for me.

02 April, 2007

foetidus

Mauboussin opens with an excellent almost too ripe fruit, a soft white floral, and a discreetly gourmand ambiance—nicely balanced with a high degree separation of notes and accords. It’s floral / fruity heart seems dominated by whiteness… I really don’t get a rose note. At its dry down, Mauboussin is a shape shifter oscillating between a sensitive vanilla / wood accord and a luscious ripe-plus fruity accord. Not exactly light or transparent, but not really heady except for the first minute or so, this beautifully feminine fragrance carries abundant substance with it and has a very nice longevity. Artistically crafted and endearing… be prepared to be noticed.

04 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 23 May, 2008)

kewart's avatar
    kewart

This is a little gem! An initial fruity burst of sparkling bergamot, mandarin and peach gently melds with a floral bouquet of ylang ylang and jasmine then finally relaxes into a warm blend of amber, patchouli and precious woods.
    This perfume makes me feel happy and revitalised.
    It is like a precious stone that slowly reveals its many glittering facets; Mauboussin is also a jewellers in Paris, which may explain the connection. Try it - you won't be disappointed I'm sure.

03 March, 2006

Goddess_Dreams's avatar
    Goddess_Dreams

Mauboussin is so charmingly sensual, so unique and unusual... Definitely a fragrance that would make you stand out. "Composed of golden fruits for airy freshness, rich floral notes for sensual voluptuousness and precious woods for mysterious depth. The result is an exclusive, caramel blonde note of mystery and a sensational seductive fragrance"... (very well described by someone else). I truly enjoy wearing it! Mauboussin is just enchanting and so lusciously creamy, who could resist it? I do have to add however, that personally I think that Mauboussin is a perfect autumn and winter scent; which might not be so wonderful in the summer heat! As for it being compared to Angel and Wish, I really have to disagree. Mauboussin is far more refined, with a style and boldness of its own. Mauboussin is undeniably and utterly feminine exhibited in the way it evokes pleasure and desire... I just love it!

21st October, 2005

tigrushka's avatar
    tigrushka
    Finland Finland

I have a very special relationship with Mauboussin. But it's a long and silly story.
    Mauboussin was "on the plate" for me for a long time: I received samples of it which I passed on thinking it was too sweet. I saw it on the sale shelf at Stockmann and ignored it.
    Then I went to the cinema to watch one for the Nth time one of my all-time favourite films: Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Cercle Rouge. The second I saw the name of the jewellery shop Alain Delon, Gian Maria Volonte and Yves Montand were going to break in I got major goosepumps: it was Mauboussin!!!
    The minute I got home I ordered a bottle online. But I just couldn't wait for my order to arrive so the next day I rushed to Stockmann to get it immediately...
    Though I loved the rounded pyramid shaped bottle with a Rubik cube like spray mechanism instantly it took me a couple of wears to "get" Mauboussin. It is sweet, it is fruity, it is heavy with vanilla and has a gourmandish caramel touch. But yet it's so much more!
    I don't know why I love it so much: could it really be just because of Le Cercle Rouge association? But I'm not alone with my love for Mauboussin: whenever I wear it, I get compliments, people want to know what I'm wearing so there must be something about it that clicks with me and my skin.
    I guess I'll never know, it's just one of those things!

11th January, 2005