Reviews of Michael Kors / Michael by Michael Kors

Find out more about Michael Kors / Michael by Michael Kors in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

Nurse Feratu's avatar

Either nobody else noticed or nobody else cares, but this fragrance was reformulated almost IMMEDIATELY after its initial release! Back in 2000, the first samples I received and my subsequent first purchase were marvelous! Michael had struck such a beautiful chord between sticky-sweet white florals and sumptuous, spicy incense that I it became my immediate favorite. Despite dousing myself with the stuff every day, it took me a year to get through a 3.4 oz. bottle, and when it was dwindling I immediately zapped to the mall to get more. When my husband and I got back to the car after our visit to Sephora, I tore right into the new bottle and and spritzed some on.....what the huh?! "This does NOT smell right!", I yelled and I marched right back inside to return it. I explained that this didn't smell proper and had maybe some fakes slipped in somehow, through no wrongdoing by Sephora of course. They gave me the business at first but when I produced my original bottle (from Saks) and asked some of the sales staff, who had now begun to swarm around the checkout area, to do blind sniff tests it turns out they all AGREED that yes, something WAS indeed off about the juice! They let me open yet another box to test but it was as equally off-putting as the one I had just returned. What did they DO to this perfume?! The floral notes had become plasticky and overly sweet, WHY would you need to try to artificially sweeten already intensely sweet flowers?! The once deep, spicy incense was now flat and listless. All in all Michael smells like cheap, bad dimestore perfume. I specify bad because there are some good, cheap dimestore perfumes I like much better than what this sad concoction has become. Ten years later, on a whim, I decided to give it a try again. They didn't. The bottle has remained, unused, on my vanity for years now but I've never had the heart to throw it away. I think now I have the heart to smash it on the pavement out anger at how this perfume was dumbed-down and ruined, before it even had a chance! BOOOOOO!!!!

05 August, 2014

bFlay's avatar

Baaad! Fake floral cacophany that reeks of public restroom deodorizers. Cloying, chemical, nasty...just thoroughly nasty! Oddly (but fortunately) it dissipates very quickly within an hour to no discernable fragrance at all.

15 June, 2014

rbaker's avatar

Flowery freshness

The latest version:

The beginning is delightful with a freshness that combines tamarind with a richer tuberose and a bunch of flowers, with a nice freesia note in the foreground on my skin. He drydown adds deeper wood notes that I find a bit too generic, but a nice vetiver comes to the fore towards the end and gives it another bout of freshness. This is a well-designed scent that is balanced with adequate silage and projection; longevity of four hours. Nice on a spring day.

19 October, 2013

jeanbean7777's avatar

Smells like hawaii.......like sniffing a flower dripping with water after a rainstorm. Lush, elegant, beautiful. The perfume of a lady. Definately mature to my nose..say 25 plus....perfect day to night scent. Michael kors is super finicky about his products and this one has his name on it so you know its superior, smooth, understated and stylish. Year round wear in any climate. Anyone who doesnt like this is either spraying too much or doesnt like white floeers because this is just a pretty scent. 8/10

12 March, 2013

lisalucille's avatar

I want to love this perfume . .. as one of the others reviewers mentioned, it reminds me of gardenia. It's got a nice, light, not too sweet floral with a mellow "tangy" whiff to it that mysteriously draws me in. Then, I smell the sexy, fresh, woodsy base. Absolutely intoxicating to me.

The downside? It doesn't last. AT ALL. SO, I smell fabulous, alluring for an hour and then it's gone. It's not just me - I asked my husband to tell me what he smelled and it was "nothing." Then ran it by a friend. Same thing; no scent detected. What a shame!! And the sample I got was from the leading chain of perfume and cosmetics stores in France - a powerful beauty presence in countries around the world. Definitely from a reputable Perfume/Cosmetic conglomerate... so I know the perfume's lack of staying power was NOT due to it being a fake.

Oh my.... will probably stick to my old stand by (despite my wanting to "switch it up" a bit)- Chloe Narcisse.

11th March, 2013

Billye's avatar

I have worn Michael Kors off and on (mostly on) for years. The last large bottle I purchased was almost clear in color, the scent was very light and has absolutely no staying power. I thought I might have purchased a "bad" bottle so I took it back to the department store and exchanged it for another bottle. Same issues. Within 30 minutes I couldn't smell anything even when I pressed my nose to my wrist. I wasn't sure if it was "just me" so the next day I sprayed each wrist and drove to the department store (30 minute drive). I asked the SA if she could tell what perfume I was wearing and when she sniffed my wrist she said she couldn't smell anything at all. While standing at the counter a lady came up wanting to return her bottle of Michael Kors with the same complaint. It pains me to think I spent over $100 on a bottle of weak "toilet water". Michael Kors was always a classy, sexy scent with great staying power. People would always ask what I was wearing. If they have changed the formula I doubt I will purchase Michael Kors again.

29 December, 2012

Tuberosa's avatar

Loved this in the shop, and went and ordered a bottle off ebay.

But I was disappointed almost immediately. I'm a massive fan of tuberose and white-flower scents, and the first burst of Michael is a good, powerful tuberose and narcissus. But then something goes wrong - there's a sort of heat at the heart of this perfume. I don't know what this hot thing is, but it does not work here. Tuberose scents should be all about cool, smooth, fresh, creamy, tropical white flowers.
    Also, to further ruin my experience, the spray mechanism went wrong after a day or two, and now the scent leaks out the back of the bottle, and goes everywhere except on my body.

It's back to Fracas for me then.

02 December, 2012

BetsyMeszaros's avatar

This is one of my favorite perfumes. It reminds me of gardenias though it has not a gardenia in it. I think it might be the tuberose. This is just intoxicating for me. Once the perfume was reformulated it lost a little of its creaminess but basically it kept the heart and it is really hard to tell the difference. It lasts quite a while on me which is unusual for scents.

I would love to find more of the original but alas even when it is advertised as the original it shows up in the redesigned bottle with the new label. Good thing the reformulation is almost identical.

09 February, 2012

blood-orange's avatar

If you're a big fan of freesia or tuberose, (or the both combined), and love strong, heady florals, then you can't go past Michael.

Michael is all flowers. Rather strong and overbearing bouquets of the stuff, but surprisingly a scent better suited for wear in the warmer months.

This fragrance has a slight shampoo-type scent, particularly in the drydown, which does give this fragrance a fresh and clean like quality which you'll either love or hate.

Michael is definitely a sillage monster. The scent will linger in a room hours after you've left. The lasting power is also pretty powerful, so less is more when it comes to applying this perfume.

From my perspective, a floral-loving one, Michael is a little too strong and nauseating for my tastes. From a distance this fragrance smells divine, however the closer you get the more it repels. If the scent had been made lighter, I'd most likely be giving Michael the thumbs up, but for now Michael is getting the thumbs down from me.

04 June, 2011

rtgiggles's avatar

I love this scent. It's beautiful, light, clean, feminine, romantic and great for anytime. I don't know if it wears off or I get used to it because I can't smell it on me at the end of the day but then my laundry smells so good. This is a great good girl scent. Would recommend as a gift for under age 35.

23 February, 2011

Late-Hit's avatar

This review if for the EdP. Yes, this is a big, fleshy floral. Is it tuberose? I don't know. Overall, I think it reminds me of Donna Karan Gold, and maybe also Marc Jacobs.

Although this is not a style I wear myself in public places, I do enjoy smelling these bosomy things from time to time. But a little really does go along way, so a light hand is probably in order.

If you enjoy the scent of lilies and gardenia, then seek no further!

30th December, 2010

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Michael to me, is not a full on tuberose- there's more going on with the freesia ,lily ,osmanthus . It opens up freshly floral and sweet and it stays sweet and gets muskier as it progresses on me. I get very little incense - maybe it's not the kind of incense I am thinking of ( which tends to be deep and smoky .)
    It's a well done floral perfume with 'some' tuberose. It's delicious and dare I say .... inoffensive . I've been complimented on this scent when I 've sprayed myself silly with it.
    I like it but I have yet to purchase a full bottle . It's a perfume I enjoy but it begins to irritate me after a while.

26 April, 2010

perfumista's avatar

A soft, creamy, well constructed fragrance that I would love to add to my collection. I disagree about this degrading into "old lady gardenia territory". It is lush, but on me, it wore very close to the skin.

A sexy, voluptuous floral that invites closeness. I could see wearing this through all of the seasons, as it was not cloying, but comforting.

09 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 12 March, 2010)

pansylady's avatar

I loved the white flower power blast of the top notes, but it faded into eau de shampoo on me- and I caught no hint of incense anywhere-

04 December, 2009

creamywildthang's avatar

South Africa South Africa

I adore it. I went searching for a fragrance for summer just to take a break from my wintry Euphoria by Calvin Klein. I took one whiff of this and I just knew that my fiance was going to love it.....and he did. So much that he bought me a full sized bottle within a week. It lasts forever on me. When I first spray it on, it gives me the experience of walking through a woody forest filled with gardenias. It goes on really light during the day but the gardenia note still is very dominant but supported by mellow woods. And then in the late afternoon, the tuberose makes a GRAND entrance and stays there until the end. I am not a fan of florals but this is gorgeous. I love it - I feel voluptuous when I wear it. More J-Lo, Beyonce and Kim Kardashian and less Twiggy and Kate Moss....just the way I love to feel!!

22 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 20th August, 2009)

hagertygal's avatar

Where is it???? I am a huge fan of the original KORS from 2002. Big and boozy, with lots of red wine and roses. (I have three bottles of the juice stashed away.) I guess I expected the same from the "new" Michael Kors. I sprayed this twice, and oh....maybe the bottle was full of water, but i got nothing. Light, airy scent. BORING! This would be perfect for a schoolgirl skipping jump rope, but not for a 30 something year old woman. This is so casual, so plain. Not worth the money.

12 July, 2009

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

If I hadn't been given this perfume as a gift, I wouldn't have bought it. It's not awful, but there is nothing different or outstanding about it. In fact it was clearly desigened by the corporate powers that be to be as "pedestrian" as possible so that they could sell a ton of it. It's so middle-of-the-road neutral that it can be worn by a woman, or a man. I would give it a neutral thumb, but instead I'm giving it a thumb down because it leaves me so bored and uninspired that I know I'll never reach for it again.

01st June, 2009

mals86's avatar

I just love this one. I tend to spray lightly (I have the mini bottle, and have just ordered a large one -- I have a feeling I'm going to spending lots of time in this), and found that the sillage is moderate, just the way I like it, on me. It wafts when I walk, but it doesn't enter the room before I do.

I get mandarin and freesia first, and then the incense kicks in with warm spice. Just a bit later I get the tuberose, and the peony. The tuberose is certainly the star, but it's not a big screaming Fracas-type tuberose. The peony is cool and dry, probably the effect of the arum lily and orris, and not a fresh green peony. From here to the end, I get spicy florals, supported by warm woods. I adore it. It may be too heavy for warm weather, but it's cold, wet January now, and I plan to wear this a great deal.

28 January, 2009

Aznavour's avatar

Very prominent tropical florals with an interesting musk base. Having grown up with frangipani and jasmine in 'the tropics', the character of this scent resonated with me and, sigh, I went for the big bottle.

This scent can be overpowering; it's not subtle by any means. It also lacks complexity and, looking back, those tropical florals can degrade into old-lady-gardenia-perfume territory.

04 December, 2008

Tovah's avatar

I have edp, edt, lotion, and leg shine. I love this fragrance. It smells of tropical tuberose, and it creates a feminine, joyful atmosphere. I don't think it's heavy, nor do I think it has much sillage. Actually, I wish it was a bit stronger; it fades somewhat quickly and I have to refresh it during the day. The incense notes are very, very faint on me, as well. I don't mind, because this is a beautiful, elegant, and radiant take on tuberose, and this fragrance suits my chemistry perfectly. It's a very "me" fragrance, that I'm sure has a permanent part in my fragrance wardrobe. The bottles are gorgeous, too.

28 June, 2008

pomeraniansiamese's avatar

Germany Germany

Beautiful, splendid warm comforting scent. It always reminds me of my mother's wooden vanity and how amazing this smells on her gorgeous self (and I do mean GORGEOUS, she was a former model). It is just delicious, complex and semi-sweet with an adult sexy sophistication. Imagine Rita Hayworth as Gilda, or Hedy Lamarr in Come Live With Me, this is a very, very special fragrance.

17 April, 2008

lookingglass's avatar

This was my "breaking into the corporate world" scent. It is fresh and young while still being sexy and powerful. Tuberose dominates, but not in a cloying way. My sprayer broke as well...

08 December, 2007

lookingglass's avatar

08 December, 2007

Coconut's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

A gorgeous scent and it has become one of those reliable perfume where I feel very comfortable when I wear it.

It is a very nice floral scent toned down with spices and incense. It is very oriental and I have received lots of compliments from my friends and strangers. It is a perfect scent if you enjoy tuberose.

The bottle is nice, but I must say that it has the worst spray mechanism. Mine is broken and everytime I spray, it leaks.

08 November, 2006

ubuandibeme's avatar

On a shopping trip my cousin bought this, and excitedly sprayed it all over her body...needless to say, it was a bit much! By the end of the day, I was a little sick of Michael. My senses find it too flowery/syrupy sweet. The next morning, remnants of Michael smelled much better than the previous day. If used sparingly, the basenotes are O.K. I'll pass though.

02 June, 2006

snikersprincess's avatar

I own about fifty perfumes. I am always looking for that one signature scent that will obliterate all the others. But, when I get sick of trying new stuff- my "go to" fragrance is Michael. Something about it reminds me of when I was a little girl. I dont know why. It is so warm and comforting, this fragrance. It has some nice watery florals, a beautiful musk. It is rich and long lasting. Not a hot summer day scent, but definitly a Sunday smell. My husband loves my baby girls smell like Micheal after I've been holding them. It is a heavier scent, but I am 27 and have been wearing it for about 3 years. It is not only for the older crowd- I promise! Hey, mabye I HAVE found my signature scent!

05 March, 2006

FroFro's avatar

First smelled it on a test-strip, and fell for it right then and there. It wasn't even sold then, but already then I knew I would buy it. Which I did, immediately when it became available, and wore it for several years as my main scent.

Still adore it, but have moved on - probably just need a break - but now that I've written this, I've put it back on my shopping list.

Very warm, very sexy scent, just make sure not to overdo it - this one is very easy to "overapply".

Last a long, long time.

02 February, 2006

nitto's avatar

This has an enchanting scent, that I cannot quite place my finger on. It smells very VERY similar to a dessert dish I had once in Thailand, but I just can't remember the specifics. Its great!

10th September, 2005

richie23's avatar

A great fragrance if you like florals. I'd call this one a floral semi-oriental. For all ages, but probably I would recommend for thirty and forty-somethings.

29 August, 2005

calchic's avatar

Michael is one of those fragrances that I tried, HAD to have, ran out and purchased immediately and then fell out of love with almost overnight. I don't mind big, bold fragrances at all - in fact, if done right I generally adore them - and this one is big and bold, with a tangibly rich tuberose, an unmistakable waft of sweet, vanilla-ish nag champa incense and a soft, luxuriant padding of those "cashmere" woods. So what's the problem? Well, unlike the similar-in-concept Chanel 22, the Michael lacks that something that makes it intriguing. It seems somehow not completely authentic (which I also personally think is true of Kors' work as a designer - it plays at being uber wealthy and luxe but isn't quite believable somehow) and lacking in mystery and complexity. It fails to inspire me and instead just sits there smelling beautiful but empty. I'm being harsh, I know, but I ran out and bought TWO big bottles of this when it first launched, only to end up ultimately giving them away. Also - another bummer - the bottle AND box design rock but the sprayer mechanism malfunctioned badly not long after I'd purchased.

25 August, 2005