Reviews of L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

Find out more about L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

This was my grandmother's scent. I purchased a bottle not long ago. Still great. Love the carnation note.

21st March, 2015

JackTwist's avatar

A scent whose bottle (Lalique, doves necking) is almost as famous as itself, L'Air du Temps begins with Neroli and Bergamot, from which emerges its combination of Rose de Mai, Jasmine, Ylang, Carnation and Orris - creating a very very light floral bouquet - as light as the "air" in its title. A number of base notes, including vetiver, cedar wood and musk, softens the nest.

Turin only gave it two stars, dubbing it a "lily amber," referring to the chemical benzyl salycylate, which entwines these two notes to give the floral heart in "satin: high gloss, weighty drape."

This light floral melange opens with a softly emerging carnation note that anchors its loveliness. This was Lana Turner's signature scent.

Top notes: Bergamot, Rosewood, Neroli, Peach
    Heart notes: Clove, Rose de Mai, Ylang, Orris, Orchid, Lily, Gardenia, Jasmine
    Base notes: Sandalwood, Musk, Vetiver, Benzoin, Cedar, Amber, Moss, Ambergris

Lovely, light and very feminine.

20th October, 2014

Parfumsisabelle's avatar

There are perfumes and timeless perfumes; there are good reformulations and appalling ones. And there are just awful perfumes that can't be talked about.

In the welcome gift box I received from the Perfume Society, there were 80% of awful perfumes we cannot talk about because they are so unsurprising and then there was l'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci, a perfume I had forgotten about because I thought it had been ditched, a perfume that is synonymous to my mother as it is one of her favorite.

I am usually not a floral type of perfume lover but l'Air du Temps is just so vintage and so elegant... The iris in it is present throughout but not overpowering and as for the rest (gardenia, jasmine), they are lingering about like walking through a flower garden in the summer. It is a feminine yet modern perfume that has not lost its appeal and can be worn day or night...

I love it and I am glad I rediscovered it!

14th September, 2014

ChellyBird's avatar

it's easy to wear, understated.

31st January, 2014

peachply's avatar

I am just revisiting this scent in my adulthood, yes it sat atop my dresser as a young girl and was just misunderstood. What I have come to appreciate about this scent is the subtlety of it. I can wear this to work and no one will wince or be made uncomfortable by the trail of scent...I appreciate how truly close one has to be to my body to even smell the true essence of it, this in my opinion is quite sensual it does not force itself upon you. I love the faint glow of carnation, rose and bergamot it leaves traces of. Despite some of the scathing reviews I do see this as very wearable in a unique way, it does not scream at you or those around you merely caresses and reminds you of a gentle time. The spring is the perfect season for L'air du Temps but it can be worn year round. I think it stands out as a lady like classic among the sea of overpowering air freshener style scents that we accosted by today. I'm liking it~

27th March, 2013

buren's avatar

I am a lucky lady: at my favorite thrift store I found two vintage Nina Ricci EDT splash bottles almost full, scent in beautiful condition.....at the moment the one I love is L'air du temps, gentle bergamot, carnation, rose....shadowed by cedar & a little sandal. I can be a little generous with it & it warms well.

The other was Farouche, a piquant floral aldehyde I enjoyed in the summer before without knowing what it was (then I had a little heart shaped mini with a worn label). I'll review the Farouche EDT in the spring, perhaps....

20th November, 2012

Cricketkitty's avatar

My mother used to buy me bottles of this for Christmas when I first joined the work force and could not afford it, for at that time it was still selling at a high price tag. The smell always reminds me of the holidays, New Years Eve parties, etc.

I have no idea what this fragrance is made up of, but I get a rose/carnation, spicy floral from it. Light enough to be worn during warm months, but still spicy enough to hold its own in the winter. If you are a fan of spicy florals, you will get a lot of bang for your buck here.

03rd September, 2012

Oviatt's avatar

Nina Ricci may have come out with some great fragrances over the years but this isn't one of them. Despite the famous Lalique bottle and the phenominal sales history, this simple, linear perfume is sad and doesn't even smell very good. When I was growing up, this was considered to be an appropriate fragrance for a girl just coming into womanhood--it was expensive, French and not too--how shall we say--provocative? Instead it is the olfactory equivalent of virginity. Worse still, of frigidity. This is not the ripe friut waiting to be plucked--this has spinster written all over it. On a young woman it smells pretty, sexless and off-putting; on a mature woman it is just ridiculous. My sister, as a well brought up young lady, was given a bottle of this and it sat for years on her dresser--admired for its frosted crystal stopper but unused, while she went through bottles of her favorite perfumes. A cousin of mine who is a lesbian chose this for her scent early on--not the feminine perfume-wearing type, she liked it because there was nothing remotely sexy or threatening about it. Sadly, now that it has become a cheap drugstore fragrance, it doesn't even have the prestige of the couturier's brand to support it. If you ever wondered how to suck any sensuality out of a fragrance, study L'Air du Temps.

21st August, 2012

Fleurine's avatar

Top notes: carnation, peach, neroli, bergamot, rose and Brazilian rosewood
    Middle notes:rosemary, carnation, gardenia, violet, orchid, cloves, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang and rose
    Base notes: spices, iris, amber, sandalwood, amber, musk, benzoin, oak moss, vetiver and cedar

I disliked this fragrance for so long, despite wanting to like it, and repeatedly testing it, I thought it smelled shrill and headachy and then I tried the vintage.
    Let me just say, that whatever yellow water they are churning out these days is not the same L'Air du Temps, the original fragrance by Nina Ricci.
    What L'Air du Temps should be is a thick, rich peppery carnation scent with
    a healthy dose of gardenia, and not really all that "airy" despite the name.
    I also find the Lalique dove/ splash Parfum bottle a little "much", clumsy and awkward to open.
    What I did come across online (and am very pleased with,) is a vintage Parfum spray tester.
    that provides a big spray of the classic vintage scent without all the packaging. That
    has been my experience with L'Air, If you can wrestle the original fragrance from all the subsequent branding and reformulations, it is sheer deliciousness.

29th January, 2012

Dayum's avatar

Germany Germany

I cant come to be friends with this one. I find it very unclassy and cheap-smelling. It -even if it sounds a little harsh here- reminds my of some bathroom-cleaners. Its pretty stinging and artificially. nah, would not want to smell it on my loved-ones. (and said them so :). thumbs down

01st January, 2012

hollyhunt's avatar

Because of its oh-so-standard ordinary concept, a multi-floral, some feel it is boring. But this is my favorite Easter-time perfume, as a splash perfume. It is the Primavera of my scent collection. This scent can make you believe in fairies and the Easter Bunny and the sainted miracles. It may seem simple but it is actually orrnately woven, no minor keys, reminiscent of the good spirited smaller fairy kingdom. It dances well, like excellent champagne at a party. It creates a a grand ballroom where everybody is witty, tipsy, and released from the schackles of sarcasm and side-steps double-entendres that might be hurtful.

It is clear in spirit. I will not wear it in autumn or in winter. It is not a wooly spirit, and fine woolens are my favorite fabrics of all time. This is pure silk chiffon and silk oraganza, a pouf de la pouf of crisp flowery headroom, pale green tendrils lovingly wrapped around your body. It feels no pain, which means it is minus some maturity and depth that my favorite scents revel in. There is no irony or surprising juxtaposition in this perfume, but it is luxurious and elevating, and I like flying with it beginning with daffodil season through summertime.

06th November, 2011

Zut's avatar

L'air du temps is one of my favourite spicy florals of all times. Unfortunately, where I live, drugstores have been overselling it at ridiculously low prices for over 25 years making it a very common fragrance. L'air du temps ended up being considered a cheap perfume and many women refuse to wear it because of that. It's a pitty. This great classic deserved better.

05th September, 2011

blood-orange's avatar

This fragrance is what I'd call a peachy floral. It's quite airy and fresh, and in my opinion, something that not many people will expect from a 40's fragrance.

L'Air du Temps has a strange opening. I can only describe the top notes as having a very strong soapy smell, which isn't very clean, refreshing or appealing. For a moment I wondered why this was such a popular scent.

Then came the array of florals and spicy notes, supplanting the reason why L'Air du Temps is still on the shelves. Peach, rose and carnation are very dominant here. They give off a rich and distinctive smell which is only complimented by the subtle hints of clove and rosemary.

Heading towards the drydown, L'Air du Temps becomes increasingly powdery and warm. The spices become much stronger as the vetiver note commands attention. On my skin the drydown is quite sweet, however on paper the scent can be quite loud and harsh.

The lasting strength is brilliant. It lasted all day and even after a long shower. I don't think this scent will appeal to everyone, so it's best to try before buying. However, I have a lot of time for this scent. It is unfortunate that I cannot try L'Air du Temps prior to its reformulation.

26th June, 2011

magali's avatar

Ireland Ireland

One of my first ever grown up perfume. I just love the carnation blast. The bottle was so beautiful too! I still own it today and I never get tired of it. Works all time round- not too soft, not too strong but still remarkable.

05th June, 2011

JeanieE's avatar

Tried it on at Von Maur yesterday and for some reason was instantly transported back to 1980, swooning over Scott Baio and playing Atari games and Joni's house. It was kinda neat, 70s-ish smelling for the first hour but dried down to sour milk later. :(

Remember BNers, sometimes the reason a beautiful classic gets re-done and loses that original pizzaz is because some of the aroma chemicals that we used to douse ourselves with have been found to be carcinogenic and are no longer legal for use in fragrances. Sad but true. I do think I recall Joni's grandy wearing the original L'Air du Temps, and it WAS better...(sigh)

18th May, 2011

fayeee's avatar

England England

I first stumbled upon L'Air du Temps in shower gel form, and decided to try the fragrance. A really soft, beautiful scent, soapy and comforting. A timeless classic.

03rd April, 2011

MZJ's avatar

This was the first perfume that I eve purchased for myself. I loved it! I used to think that it seemed a bit too frilly for me- too classically floral - but I loved wearing it none-the-less. Maybe I should go back and see if it still feels too frilly!

20th February, 2011

Thalia's avatar

I have an old, old bottle of L'Air du Temps that was sitting on my dresser at least 25 years ago, so it contains whatever the '80s formulation might have been. I don't know what it smells like in a new bottle, but this juice on me is just as nonnative describes: a soft, bright, airy floral cloud, not too loud and a bit powdery, that quickly parts to reveal a woody, musky base that grounds it and makes it rather sexy. It's very pretty and likable -- especially with a pretty dress on a sunny weekend when you might be spending some time outdoors. Not too sweet, not too heady, but not dull. Great lasting power, too.

22nd April, 2010

lady love's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Of all the classics I think L'Air du Temps is the most gentle and soft perfume I tried, is like a delicate summer breeze. Everyone can use it, and we know this is a difficult thing when we talk about others classics. Although in my skin this doesn't last as long as others eau de toilettes of the 40's.

In the first half hour, is an intense and interesting fragrance but then becomes very soft,so fast....Anyway, you will notice that the fragrance still there on your skin playing with your senses and with those of who are near you..

The scent is charming,timeless, feminine and warm. The kind of warmth that inspires freedom..

15th April, 2010

Jean Patou Fan's avatar

L'Air du Temps has definitely changed. I first tried it in the early 80s, when it was a subtle and quiet white floral, against a spice background; it had a slightly bitter note too, which added to it's uniqueness. Much as I loved the fragrance, it didn't last more than half an hour on me, so I didn't buy it after the first bottle I was given.

I tried L'air du Temps for the first time in many years recently, and found that it is now a nasty sweet candied fragrance, quite unlike the version in knew in the 80s. It's such a shame when a classic like this is changed. As this is the version now being made, I feel I have to give L'air Du Temps a thumbs down.

29th March, 2010

The_Entity's avatar

i remember wearing this as a child, i rebought again recently, still has that soft soapy scent which brings me back. only best for daytime wear

27th March, 2010

nonnative's avatar

If my nose is not mistaken the old L'AdTemps was strong, feminine and classy. Still classy, still feminine it seems to be softened into and clean powdery white flower. While on the moillette it's not very interesting, on my skin becomes almost spicy and woody. Incredibly good. Perhaps now one of my favourite.

25th March, 2010

marika's avatar

I remember the real thing. L'Air du temps in its original guise was indefineable. It was heartbreakingly beautiful, like nothing else. Words like haunting, elusive, fleeting, sad, warm, lovely, magical, ethereal, other wordly - maybe ...give one an idea, but for me the words to desribe it have not been invented. Alas it is lost forever. The new formula should not be known by the same name. When I smell it I remember what I have lost and it makes me so melancholy. Reformulating these masterpieces is like someone re touching the Mona Lisa to make her style more palatable to the current market. Someone should be able to buy the rights to these classics and produce them as a niche market. Do you think that would be viable?

31st October, 2009

A classic spicy floral that comes across to me as generic. L’Air du Temps one is centered on the “spiciness” of the carnation note. I don’t get the wood or fruit that are supposed to be involved in the opening; I get “carnation” and an ordinary jasmine. The middle goes more floral and begins to take on a rather powdery feel, the uninteresting jasmine remains strong to my nose, and there is a clove note in the background of the florals. The moss, wood, and amber come through for me in the base, and the base seems to me to be unclassically generic. I don’t think that the recent version of L’Air du Temps that I’m smelling now is the wonderful classic of all the positive reviews (Some of the appreciation of this scent seems more nostalgia than love for the fragrance.) Luca Turin gives the explanation of why this version isn’t as good as the vintage fragrance: restriction of an important ingredient. Unfortunately, this downward direction has likely hit more fragrances than this. It’s too bad that these reductions in quality happen, because I can see a very real potential in this fragrance… potential but not actual excellence with this present version.

31st October, 2009

Susanne's avatar

I loved the older vesion but can still love the new one. Still receive compliments from men when wearing the later version.

19th September, 2009

Hoppity's avatar

This is appalling - sweet, sickly and headache inducing. I'm sure I tried this in the early eighties and liked it. Now all I can smell in it is carnation - always unpleasant in too high a ratio.

07th August, 2009

BoB's avatar

Thailand Thailand

A very classy, elegant and sophistiated fragrance. It has been on my grandma's dressing table for more than 20 years and it really reminds me of my childhood
    with her. A true classic.

02nd August, 2009

LittleMissWrite's avatar

England England

My mum has worn L'Air du Temps for as long as I can remember. On her, it is a gorgeous, comforting floral. Just smelling it makes me feel like I am 8 years old again, being hugged by my mum after falling over. A few months ago, I tried it out on myself and unfortunately it did not work. On me, L'Air du Temps smells heavy and cloying and gives me an instant headache.

29th July, 2009

perfumista's avatar

I agree, the formula has been tweaked. I remember this as a warm and spicy romantic fragrance. I sampled it in it's new formulation and it's just generic.

28th May, 2009

susan ashley's avatar

sophisticated spring floral, elegant, ok for day or evening too. a classic

08th May, 2009