Neutral Reviews of L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

Find out more about L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci in the Basenotes Fragrance Directory

A classic spicy floral that comes across to me as generic. L’Air du Temps one is centered on the “spiciness” of the carnation note. I don’t get the wood or fruit that are supposed to be involved in the opening; I get “carnation” and an ordinary jasmine. The middle goes more floral and begins to take on a rather powdery feel, the uninteresting jasmine remains strong to my nose, and there is a clove note in the background of the florals. The moss, wood, and amber come through for me in the base, and the base seems to me to be unclassically generic. I don’t think that the recent version of L’Air du Temps that I’m smelling now is the wonderful classic of all the positive reviews (Some of the appreciation of this scent seems more nostalgia than love for the fragrance.) Luca Turin gives the explanation of why this version isn’t as good as the vintage fragrance: restriction of an important ingredient. Unfortunately, this downward direction has likely hit more fragrances than this. It’s too bad that these reductions in quality happen, because I can see a very real potential in this fragrance… potential but not actual excellence with this present version.

31st October, 2009

LittleMissWrite's avatar

England England

My mum has worn L'Air du Temps for as long as I can remember. On her, it is a gorgeous, comforting floral. Just smelling it makes me feel like I am 8 years old again, being hugged by my mum after falling over. A few months ago, I tried it out on myself and unfortunately it did not work. On me, L'Air du Temps smells heavy and cloying and gives me an instant headache.

29th July, 2009

perfumista's avatar

I agree, the formula has been tweaked. I remember this as a warm and spicy romantic fragrance. I sampled it in it's new formulation and it's just generic.

28th May, 2009

vintage*red's avatar

This is a nice, light inoffensive floral...not as terrible as "The Guide" states but not very inspiring, either. The new formula lacks some of the more subtle fragrance notes that I could never quite define but were obviously important. Those notes made a "little" fragrance much more interesting. Another problem...this fragrance does not last! It seems to evaporate before any kind of drydown. If you are looking for a nice, light floral, save your money and buy Tommy Girl instead.

07th September, 2008

purplebird7's avatar

I am one of those few people for whom L'Air du Temps fails to work its magic. I have tried it repeatedly through the years. On me, the carnation stands out, and it is a cool, spicy note which does not blend smoothly with my skin. (Even the venerable Caron Bellodgia is difficult for me to wear sometimes. Etro Dianthus has probably been the best carnation on me because of its warm, sunny, orange undertones.) L'Air du Temps has a breezy, light floral quality that doesn't project on me. I can completely understand its charm, though. For myself, I need more strength, warmth, and woodiness.

15th December, 2007

spaghettiqueen's avatar

Never got the point of this one - for me it had something too synthetic about it, which reminded me of the smell of musty old nylon "net curtains"...

03rd October, 2006